Would you cruise if you had to wear one of these?

I'll stick with my masks:  they are lighweight, comfy, soft, washable, and have double ties so I can lower the mask with the top tie undone, then put back up very easily.

If my husband had to wear the shield, he would keep looking around for the welding tank!  😁

Edited by pcur

On 7/8/2020 at 7:22 AM, boscobeans said:

Would you cruise if you had to wear one of these at certain times and in certain places??

I saw this on line and since my wife must wear a mask all day at work and I am out and about a few times a week and wear one as well I did a little research into which is better a mask or a shield ???

Some swear by one and some swear by the other ?  But in most situations a shield, to me at least, give a great amount of protection, is easier to sanitize and although a bit like a transparent Darth Vader helmet doesn't affect breathing in the least..

I noticed a new type of face shield on line that looked interesting. It is made to fit on the brim of a baseball cap or sun visor.  

No band around your head with big letters telling people that it is a FACE SHIELD. 

On and off in an instant,

If you want a drink, just lift it by the brim and place it back on when you had your drink.

Easy to sanitize 

AND ACTUALLY ABOUT THE LEAST EXPENSIVE PPE OUT THERE..

HOWEVER, fitting it on the brim and keeping it adjusted was a problem but adjusting it and then applying a few beads from a hot glue gun and it is very stable, stays where it should even with repeated on and off cycles.

It could be something offered by the cruise lines with each booking??  At about $2 a piece (on line price) RCCL could work a deal and make it part of their cruises with one attached to a Royal Caribbean hat or Visor...

Just interested in what others think, my only opinion is that this is easy to use, easy to clean and might be a solution that's better than a mask if they become SOP on cruises at certain times... 

aaaa1.png

Face shield protects you from direct exposure of droplets but no filter, while better than the nothing crowd, I'll take a mask everytime.  yeah breathing is harder ( the reason is it filters the air ).    

I personally I work out with baseband with N95 replaceable filter, for better or worse, like the mask look too, LOL

9AD25B95-53FE-4C22-B553-0DE5496C249A.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster

16 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Face shield protects you from direct exposure of droplets but no filter, while better than the nothing crowd, I'll take a mask everytime.  yeah breathing is harder ( the reason is it filters the air ).    

I personally I work out with baseband with N95 replaceable filter, for better or worse, like the mask look too, LOL

From what I read the N95 is different than the generic masks that people are wearing and it is a better mask and it does do a better job. 

But as far as the other masks that are out there they do not filter fine droplets and does not protect you as well as a shield would (according to the expert scientist out there). 

The generic masks will block your large droplets and stop them from reaching others but it is not a good choice if you want to protect yourself. 

If you are looking to protect yourself and can't get one of those professional masks - Get a shield !

I am just relaying what the experts have been putting out there for the last few months.  I am not an expert.

Of course you do know that the N95 does not filter the air you are breathing out so if you are sick - the air you exhale may impact others around you.

Edited by squale2
more information
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, chipmaster said:

As an aside, I am envious that you have the ability to wear a mask at a gym!  Still no go for gyms in my neck of the woods in NJ.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, BND said:

And yet, yesterday I saw a disease expert saying what I posted above.  There is room for droplets to get up under the face mask as it sits far off the lower part of the face, mouth and nose.  As I said, ever see a Dr or nurse, or dentist ever wearing just a shield?  No, they wear both a shield and a mask.

I read another article  from another “expert” claiming that the droplets just come out the sides of the mask and do not work. As evidence he points to people’s glasses fogging up when wearing a mask.  As one posted “The debate goes on.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lazz said:

I read another article  from another “expert” claiming that the droplets just come out the sides of the mask and do not work. As evidence he points to people’s glasses fogging up when wearing a mask.  As one posted “The debate goes on.”

If you are infected then you are breathing out viral load, who knows is anyones guess

If you are around that person you are breathing in a diluted load.    The dilution is actually very high if both are wearing a mask because the air flow is restricted and diverted.

Many who talk about mask as in-effective point to the people not wearing correctly or not perfect seal, or pulling them down, completely miss the point that for the most important effect they are diluting the viral load sometimes a lot sometimes not so much.

There is enough documentation that exposure time and proximity is important and sometimes you have no spreading and others superspreading events that still need to be fully understood, but regardless masks even non perfect seals will DILUTE the Viral load out or in.   

The debate on how effective is valid, but if they are better than no mask isn't debatable at all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

As an aside, I am envious that you have the ability to wear a mask at a gym!  Still no go for gyms in my neck of the woods in NJ.

There are actually some really hi-tech lower resistance flow are showing up on the market, I'm tolerating my high resistance mask for now.  Okay for lifting, not so much for cardio.

There are actually some really hi-tech lower resistance flow are showing up on the market, I'm tolerating my high resistance mask for now.  Okay for lifting, not so much for cardio.

I’m leaning towards purchasing the Sparthos mask for when my gym reopens. Do you know of a better one?

1 hour ago, Yorkvillain said:

I’m leaning towards purchasing the Sparthos mask for when my gym reopens. Do you know of a better one?

Keep in mind this mask does not offer any air filtering - it does not clean air and does nothing to help protect you from anything...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

As the previous poster noted those aren't filtering mask, they are trying to make your lungs work harder by restriction flow.

I get that by default with my filtered mask, but it comes with filtration.    

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Lenny, I'm thinking it's like the short straw, the one people draw when determining who will "volunteer" for a dangerous assignment.

I just googled it and it is a plastic straw for drinking.I never heard of that before.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:44 PM, BirdTravels said:

Hmmmmm....  we just spent the 4th in Atlantic City where there is a 100% mask requirement, no smoking, no eating, no eating, no nothing that would require you to lift your mask. Thousands of people were more than happy to comply with mask and social distancing rules inside and outside on the boardwalk. 

The only place your could eat or drink indoors was inside your hotel room. 

WoW! Talk about government taking full control of the sheeple! I won't ever be found in Atlantic City! Have at it!