Change of ship

Regal / Royal are our favorite ships. Did 49 days around South America on Royal last year, was one of our best cruises ever. You might just love those ships as we do. So many great dining options and if there is a buffet, it is the best, great choices and a wonderful layout. I bet they will figure something out up there that will work. Just another perspective.

We have sailed both and although I don't hate the Grand, if itineraries are similar - I would jump for the Regal in a heartbeat.  In fact, this change makes me want to consider this cruise.  Had it on my favourites but was not seriously considering it because the Grand is just "ok", but the Regal is better, so we will think on this one.

Don

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Having been on both ships numerous times, we feel the Regal is hands down the better option.  No promenade deck to speak of, but it makes up for that with so many other options.  It is larger, but it does not feel like it.  Give it a chance, you just might like it.  And as some others have mentioned, it looks like the Grand Class of ships will soon be no more...

Been on it in the Caribbean, not a patch on the Emerald imho

3 hours ago, vino100 said:

Our Norway cruise was switched from the Grand to the Regal. Is the Regal Too big to get into the fjords? I picked this cruise for the itinerary. 

Regal is very similar to P&O Britannia which frequently transits the fjords so this ship will be more than fine. Enjoy the fjords, our favourite part of the world. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Regal is very similar to P&O Britannia which frequently transits the fjords so this ship will be more than fine. Enjoy the fjords, our favourite part of the world. 

thanks for the info. I’m really looking forward to seeing Norway. Sure hope cruising will resume by then. 

• Like 2

We were on the Regal in February on a back to back. It was a fabulous very happy cruise with very good food, We love the Regal. Most likely you will get a balcony. Please give the Regal a chance, it is a beautiful ship and it had a fabulous crew ( who knows now). They will not use inside cabins. That will cut down on the crowds and everyone will have fresh air. You will have a great time.

3 hours ago, crows nest club said:

Cannot wait to see what cabin they allocate to us.  We are in a Window Suite but thete are no cabins of this suite grade on Regal. We await in anticpation.

I now wished we had booked a window suite on our cruise. Much cheaper than the full suites but on the Reagl I would think they would have to transfer you across to a full suite as there are no window suites on this ship and as they say in the e-mail our room price will remain the same.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Does anyone know the precise time this change is to take place?

This was in the email from them.

Your booking will be automatically moved to Regal Princess, and you or your travel advisor will receive a new booking confirmation no later than July 23,

I understand the OP’s disappointment.  Although we enjoyed many of the Regal’s features on our Baltic cruise last August, we still strongly prefer ships with a full promenade deck, especially with such a scenic itinerary as Norway.  As others have mentioned we have also feared that the ships with promenade decks will soon be a thing of the past.  For us, that will be just another reason to reconsider cruising in the future.  The last thing that we would want would be to sail on a ship with less access to outside air.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Having been on both ships numerous times, we feel the Regal is hands down the better option.  No promenade deck to speak of, but it makes up for that with so many other options.  It is larger, but it does not feel like it.

But with the higher number of passengers, it will feel more crowded in the already overcrowded Alaska ports.

The official announcement:

Princess Cruises Announces Deployment Changes in Alaska and Europe for Summer 2021

New Summer Homeport Sailings from Los Angeles

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (July 8, 2020) – Princess Cruises announced today changes to its deployment in Alaska and Europe for summer 2021 with Majestic Princess arriving to the West Coast and setting sail for her inaugural Alaska season, and Regal Princess returning to Europe.
In 2021, guests will be able to experience Majestic Princess for the first time in Alaska. She will be deployed to Alaska replacing Regal Princess, picking up all Regal Princess published Seattle Inside Passage departures from May to September, except Regal Princess May 4, 2021 departure of a five-day Alaska Sampler which will be cancelled.

Regal Princess will sail from Southampton, England replacing Grand Princess for summer 2021. Regal Princess will sail on 17 roundtrip departures from Southampton to the Mediterranean, Norway, Scandinavia, Iceland and other popular destinations in Europe. As a result of this change, the Regal Princess South Pacific Crossing, and two Grand Princess seven-day Europe cruises will be cancelled.
Grand Princess will be deployed to the West Coast for a new summer Mexico and California Coast season departing from Los Angeles with details to be announced later this summer.

Guests booked on Regal Princess Alaska and Grand Princess Europe voyages will have their booking automatically moved from Regal Princess to Majestic Princess in Alaska, and from Grand Princess to Regal Princess in Europe, and will receive a new booking confirmation.
Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a professional travel advisor, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237), or by visiting the company's website at www.princess.com.

We are currently enhancing our health and safety protocols with input from global health leaders in light of COVID-19 and assessing how they may impact our future itinerary offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed in marketing materials. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-announces-deployment-changes-alaska-and-europe

1 hour ago, mevs904 said:

I understand the OP’s disappointment.  Although we enjoyed many of the Regal’s features on our Baltic cruise last August, we still strongly prefer ships with a full promenade deck, especially with such a scenic itinerary as Norway.  As others have mentioned we have also feared that the ships with promenade decks will soon be a thing of the past.  For us, that will be just another reason to reconsider cruising in the future.  The last thing that we would want would be to sail on a ship with less access to outside air.

Exactly, I have no wish to spend precious holiday indoors. 

• Like 1

I've cruised on the Regal and the Royal, love this class of ship.  My favorite all time ship is the Emerald.  I've been cruising since 1982, did miss the promenade at times.  It isn't a deal breaker, and I take long trips.  My 1st cruise on the Regal was 25 days and I was skeptical, transatlantic plus Baltic.  The ship won me over though. 

Traveling as an older, single, cruising works out for me, I can safely get to cities I would not fly to, see on my own.   I have places I haven't seen, Princess my preferred line and I've adjusted to the fact it might be on a large ship.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, freckles2 said:

Mine has changed as well, the only things is we'd booked Oceanview on the Grand but there is no Oceanview on the Regal, I've no idea what they are going to move me to.

Balcony?

• Like 1

I received the change email yesterday.

I am on the Grand for 2 separate cruises in August 7 & 14, 2021 as B2B in the same Premium Oceanview cabin for both cruises.  My sister has the cabin beside me.

Since the Regal does not have oceanview cabins, they will put us in a balcony.

Now is the long wait to see what category, location and if in the same cabin for both the cruises?

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Which balcony cabins are obstructed?

The mid-ship cabins of the deck (8?) with the lifeboats outside the cabins.  We were on the Royal on that deck and forward of the elevators.  There was no obstruction looking directly out, but looking straight down there was a lifeboat--not a problem.  I agree re no promenade on the Royal/Regal AND no cabins on Deck 5 as on the older ships.  The latter were our favorite for their being close to the atrium, central elevators, etc.  The cabins are also more expensive than on the older ships.  On another Royal cruise (in the Caribbean) we had an inside cabin because we don't need a balcony and were doing 3 cruises/year so cost was important to us.  I did enjoy sitting in the covered seating area aft on the Lido deck.  Lots of loungers out there and very few people, at least when I was out there.  Plus, handy bar service if one wanted a cool one.

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am voicing my objection to any thread that mentions the replacement of the Grand itineraries with the Regal.  Princess may think this is a good move, but I am in the minority that will not sail on these "MEGA" ships.  

I, too, am wondering how they are going to move passengers equitably from one ship to the next.  I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for a room assignment.  Most likely, I will have to cancel this cruise.

I am not in favor of this change.

At this point, I would sail on any ship just to be able to cruise again!  This is definitely a 1st world problem!  Grin.  Now in my case, I don't mind at all since I booked so early and for some reason was able to get a S7(Window Suite) GUARANTEE stateroom! So since Regal does not have WS's, I will now be getting a suite for a price that is now less than a midship regular mini!  At least that is how I read my reservation.  So I am excited to say the least. Will also have to wait to see what my new reservation says.  Says we will know by July 28th.  Had my August, 2021, Alaska cruise changed too (obviously) from Regal to Majestic.  Said would have new reservation by July10th and had mine yesterday, July 8th.  In this case, since the same ship makeup, I got my same stateroom which is very nice(M6 category on this cruise).

Pooh

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crows nest club said:

Cannot wait to see what cabin they allocate to us.  We are in a Window Suite but thete are no cabins of this suite grade on Regal. We await in anticpation.

We are also booked in a window suite for the Norway cruise. 

There are 35 full suites on the Grand (this includes window suites, which are full suites minus the balcony) and 40 full suites on Regal. So anyone booked in a suite on Grand should be moved to a suite on Regal. I am guessing that those of us in window suites will be moved to S5 (the lowest suite class) premium suites on Regal. These are forward corner suites and I think ideal for this cruise.

Edited by Colorado Coasty
typo

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

We are also booked in a window suite for the Norway cruise. 

There are 35 full suites on the Grand (this includes window suites, which are full suites minus the balcony) and 40 full suites on Regal. So anyone booked in a suite on Grand should be moved to a suite on Regal. I am guessing that those of us in window suites will be moved to S5 (the lowest suite class) premium suites on Regal. These are forward corner suites and I think ideal for this cruise.

We wouldn't want to move to a Premium Suite as we could not do the long walk to all the amenities. Bearing in mind that Window suites are near mid ships.Husband is 89 and we always book midships or close by for his mobility issues. I realise that most Regal suites are either forward or aft but Riviera Deck does have some mid/aft suites although they are s4 Grade. Would ask for one  of these for  his health and safety. 

Edited by crows nest club
Typo

I also did "my" homework.  There are aft suites (soot), forward suites (motion), and deck 14 midship suites.

According to the news release:

Cabins will be reassigned by category (window suite to full suite).

Location will also be a factor (window suites = midship)

I am also booked in a window suite (love the location) and therefore the reason for me booking the Grand.  I chased her around the world to find an itinerary that I would find interesting (Iceland).  I am so disappointed in the change, but will sit back and have a wait and see attitude.  It will be most interesting how Princess will handle this cross over.