Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My 45 year old daughter was an anit-vaxxer until she was diagnosed with breast cancer last summer. After 4 months of chemo she couldn't wait to get her vaccination  because she knew Covid could kill her with the weakened immune system her chemo left her with. My saying to my family is "Get stuck or stay stuck at home". Now all of them want to be vaccinated when their time come s available.

BTW she is doing great with her cancer, she was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and the Chemo killed it all, she is now doing radiation to kill some suspicious   nodes but it looks like she will fully recover,

Congratulations to Your Dtr.....our dtr also had triple neg 6 + years ago. 

She and her husb have 2 beautiful children conceived  post recovery from surgery and chemo.....

EVERY DAY IS A GIFT...COUNTING OUR BLESSINGS!

WISHING YOUR FAMILY WELL!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

How come you Texans are not watching Baylor vs Houston? Break time so I am posting 😉

I am watching, my Alma mater Oregon State got beat by Houston. So go Baylor

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Congratulations to Your Dtr.....our dtr also had triple neg 6 + years ago. 

She and her husb have 2 beautiful children conceived  post recovery from surgery and chemo.....

EVERY DAY IS A GIFT...COUNTING OUR BLESSINGS!

WISHING YOUR FAMILY WELL!

Hcat thank you. I am glad your daughter beat it, I am a prostate cancer survivor who got very lucky.

45 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am watching, my Alma mater Oregon State got beat by Houston. So go Baylor

DH is Wichita State who beat Houston. Had to hope for the American Conference win. Baylor blowout!

Next game, anybody but Zags. Go Baylor! LOL!

Back to cruising.

8 hours ago, hcat said:

From a non political viewpoint.. I am not sure why we need a  Gov issued Vaccine Passport..more bureacracy and seems redundant, .. We should all have our Vaccination Cards that were  issued to us  at the place we received our shots.. 

Ours say where and when they were issued,  and include  what looks like the vaccine batch  nos ( ??).  They accepted dh's  card copy at work....where he has interaction at times with public. We just put  Confidential Med Record stamp on it to  avoid gratuitous re-disclosure.

Just show the card...and sail!

I don't believe that the Governor's ban is just concerning any sort of "passport".  It precludes any sort of requirement that someone be vaccinated in order to gain access to any business, event, school, etc.

Edited by harkinmr

7 hours ago, Pinboy said:

OF Course - Yup-- Your body , Your choice -- Very Smart --- 

Hey, Whatya gonna tell the Police Officer when the " Bum " stops Ya and gives You a ticket --

Hey, Whatya gonna tell the tow truck driver when he/she is putting your Lexus-- Oops, your truck onto the hoist heading for the scrap yard.

I'll bet you won't take the vaccine -- it's for wimps, like us who CARE about ourselves and OTHERS.

Bonne Journee --- Have a nice day.

I drive 30-40k miles per year for the last 30+ Years and have only been stopped once for seatbelt violation and then only got a warning. 

and you are right - not getting the vaccine. Been on a plain, been in restaurants, been at crowded rallys, run a retail business- haven’t worn a face diaper and haven’t been sick. Not afraid of any of this - living my life as normal as possible in this new normalcy. 

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It is just so disappointing that vaccines have become such a political issue.  No surprise I guess.  If FL bans Vaccine Passports but then the CDC requires proof of vaccination to cruise from the US, where the heck are we?   It seems the governor is working at cross purposes to get cruising going again.  Would RCG cruise lines home-ported in FL fall under this order for all of their employees?  How does this order help to create a safe cruising environment?

"The Republican governor had previously announced his intent to issue an order banning so-called “vaccine passports.” His action also barred any government agency in Florida from issuing such documentation for the purpose of providing proof of vaccinations."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/florida-governor-issues-order-banning-businesses-from-requiring-vaccine-passports

not much of an issue for those that live outside florida. more of a problem for florida residents

32 minutes ago, farmermd said:

I drive 30-40k miles per year for the last 30+ Years and have only been stopped once for seatbelt violation and then only got a warning. 

and you are right - not getting the vaccine. Been on a plain, been in restaurants, been at crowded rallys, run a retail business- haven’t worn a face diaper and haven’t been sick. Not afraid of any of this - living my life as normal as possible in this new normalcy. 

So people who care about others are just afraid?  I hope you never get sick.

I'll give you points for face diaper.

41 minutes ago, farmermd said:

Sounds like you are afraid of the vaccine, and you are relying on everyone else to be brave enough to care about public health. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Hi Katie

Sorry to let you know that you can get easily get all  sorts of fakes online for anything  in any language you'd like  (ID, drivers  licenses , birth certifs., marriage certifs, green cards,  service  animals, state, fed and  pvt stuff like diplomas..A whole  gamut of paper. )   Some are very well done .  Trust me!.

No reason to suspect it won't happen with this as well.  But with a proper release and lots of staff time, each card could  probably be verified.

Sad but true.

As with some of the other fake documents you mentioned one can get away with it until something goes wrong.  When you get caught the price one pays can be severe.

With a cruise ship and the CDC collecting detailed health data the information on anyone testing positive will certainly be tracked.

If someone fakes a card and then tests positive they would face considerable civil liability.

There may also be the potential for criminal charges as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My 45 year old daughter was an anit-vaxxer until she was diagnosed with breast cancer last summer. After 4 months of chemo she couldn't wait to get her vaccination  because she knew Covid could kill her with the weakened immune system her chemo left her with. My saying to my family is "Get stuck or stay stuck at home". Now all of them want to be vaccinated when their time come s available.

BTW she is doing great with her cancer, she was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and the Chemo killed it all, she is now doing radiation to kill some suspicious   nodes but it looks like she will fully recover,

Best wishes for your daughters full remission and recovery.

1 hour ago, farmermd said:

can you please explain to me how me not wearing a seatbelt puts everyone else at risk?

Perhaps not physically but one can imagine the anxiety, stress, cost etc. of friends and family dealing with an incapacitated or brain injured selfish individual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please stay off any cruise I am on. . . . .no wait, no vaccination you will be home anyway for next few years.  All good for rest of us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, farmermd said:

which I still don’t wear. To quote the left - my body, my choice. 

So, it sounds as though you are a proponent of a woman’s right to choose...you are pro-choice?  Or, do you mean “my body, my choice....your body, also my choice”?  

Edited by Twigster
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Twigster said:

So, it sounds as though you are a proponent of a woman’s right to choose...you are pro-choice?  Or, do you mean “my body, my choice....your body, also my choice”?  

I’m just showing the hypocrisy - you know, similar to vaccines. The left leaning states say the minority community needs priority in receiving the jab because they are at higher risk. And what do you you need for a vaccine? Yup an ID. But yet these same left leaning states say the minority community is too stupid to get an ID to vote. So my assumption now is that once everyone in the minority community has shown their ID to get the jab, we can now require the vaccine passport as the ID to vote! Wow that was easy. 

3 hours ago, farmermd said:

I’ve posted this a few times. Not getting the vaccine is your choice. But if you book a cruise, let those on your roll call know you won’t be vaccinated and if you actually get onboard, which hopefully won’t happen because of sane cruise lines that will refuse you, but if you somehow do, let everyone know you aren’t vaccinated so they all have a ‘choice’ of not being around you.  . 

den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I’ve posted this a few times. Not getting the vaccine is your choice. But if you book a cruise, let those on your roll call know you won’t be vaccinated and if you actually get onboard, which hopefully won’t happen because of sane cruise lines that will refuse you, but if you somehow do, let everyone know you aren’t vaccinated so they all have a ‘choice’ of not being around you.  . 

den

Why am I required to divulge my medical information to you or the rest of the public?  That is between my doctor and I. If you think masks work then continue wearing them if you are concerned.  As I’ve stated elsewhere on these forums - this vaccine will be used as the new form of “legal” discrimination.  A slippery slope. 

1 minute ago, farmermd said:

Why am I required to divulge my medical information to you or the rest of the public?  That is between my doctor and I. If you think masks work then continue wearing them if you are concerned.  As I’ve stated elsewhere on these forums - this vaccine will be used as the new form of “legal” discrimination.  A slippery slope. 

When you refuse to be vaccinated and therefore expose all you have contact with it isn’t between you and a Dr. But I expected this type of response and will not engage any further. 

den

5 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

When you refuse to be vaccinated and therefore expose all you have contact with it isn’t between you and a Dr. But I expected this type of response and will not engage any further. 

den

If you believe vaccines work and you are vaccinated then why worry about me?  Maybe I want to know if you had the flu shot before sitting next to me. Do you have hepatitis? AIDS? What is your political or religious affiliation?  I need to know all these things about you before you get on a ship with me. 

it just makes no sense to continue wearing masks and distancing if you have been vaccinated. You shouldn’t be concerned about others who haven’t. We do not and can not live in a society with zero risk.  

If you believe vaccines work and you are vaccinated then why worry about me?  Maybe I want to know if you had the flu shot before sitting next to me. Do you have hepatitis? AIDS? What is your political or religious affiliation?  I need to know all these things about you before you get on a ship with me. 

it just makes no sense to continue wearing masks and distancing if you have been vaccinated. You shouldn’t be concerned about others who haven’t. We do not and can not live in a society with zero risk.  

It's not yet clear if vaccinated people can transmit the virus to others.  Until that's known, wearing a mask even if you are vaccinated means you aren't spreading the virus. The more the virus spreads, the more opportunity for variants against which existing vaccines may not be effective. Also, even vaccinated people can still get covid19. Thankfully, their outcomes should be better with a much lower chance of hospitalization or death; but, who knows the long term effects of having covid19? It's still worthwhile to try not to get it or spread it to others.  

So, until more is known, for the safety of people around you and to do your part to eradicate this beast from our planet, people should continue to wear masks and practice social distancing even after they have been vaccinated.

I do think a solid case can be made for not masking on cruise ships if everyone is vaccinated. However, I don't think cruise lines have a way to validate vaccinations - so (as much as I'd like to not have to do it) unless things change significantly I'll be masking for my own protection and for the protection of those around me if I'm lucky enough to cruise this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSJ28 said:

It's not yet clear if vaccinated people can transmit the virus to others.  Until that's known, wearing a mask even if you are vaccinated means you aren't spreading the virus. The more the virus spreads, the more opportunity for variants against which existing vaccines may not be effective. Also, even vaccinated people can still get covid19. Thankfully, their outcomes should be better with a much lower chance of hospitalization or death; but, who knows the long term effects of having covid19? It's still worthwhile to try not to get it or spread it to others.  

So, until more is known, for the safety of people around you and to do your part to eradicate this beast from our planet, people should continue to wear masks and practice social distancing even after they have been vaccinated.

I do think a solid case can be made for not masking on cruise ships if everyone is vaccinated. However, I don't think cruise lines have a way to validate vaccinations - so (as much as I'd like to not have to do it) unless things change significantly I'll be masking for my own protection and for the protection of those around me if I'm lucky enough to cruise this year.  

Agree with this but safe environment on cruise ships will only go so far unless the ports are safe too.  This is why universal vaccination is so important.   Surprised that not much attention to port safety is addressed in this very worthwhile thread.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, farmermd said:

I never understand this point, everyone knows that the vaccine is not 100% effective and as such a percentage that have been vaccinated can still catch Covid.

10 hours ago, farmermd said:

can you please explain to me how me not wearing a seatbelt puts everyone else at risk?

As someone who worked in ER/A&E in the UK in the 80s I can tell you that it made a massive difference to mortality rates. Used to spend hours picking glass out of peoples faces and resuscitating the young and old in trauma calls. When the vast majority started wearing seatbelts, combined with safer cars, ER became a little boring with very little trauma. No guns so no gun trauma either.

For the benefits of vaccinations you just need to compare the rates of Covid in the UK and our close neighbours in Europe.

Face masks are for the benefit of other people not yourself.

Edited by hawkesbaynz
  • Like 1