No US Sailing Until at least Oct 1

25 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

There.  Are. Not.  Going. To. Be. Any. US. Cruises. In. 2020.

You don't know that...Anything can happen.  If you are so certain, then I can only assume you are not booked in 2020.  However, some people are so let's not rain on their parade.  I, for one am encouraged that the CDC didn't extend for an additional 100 days, which they could have done quite easily.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You don't know that...Anything can happen.  If you are so certain, then I can only assume you are not booked in 2020.  However, some people are so let's not rain on their parade.  I, for one am encouraged that the CDC didn't extend for an additional 100 days, which they could have done quite easily.

spot on!!!   Too many folks on these boards making their opinions appear to be true statements when they don't know any more than any one else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Being this CDC no sail order doesn't expire until July 24th or 25th , they still have time. Let's see what happens next week.

Florida isn't close to opening ports if the cases continue to rise. 

Just saw on another post  the CDC has already extended until Sept. 30.

So yes 68  days is better than 100. Still not good news.

Edited by beerman2

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

To suggest cruises will happen ignores the reality and danger of the situation. Your heart is trying to hold out for hope, but your mind knows the reality of the situation. No raining on parades, either....they've all been cancelled, too. ☹️

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

Miami Herald reporting that CDC is not going to allow any US Sailings until at least Oct 1.   

NCL has already cancelled all cruises through September 30, so the CDC announcement has no impact. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL has already cancelled all cruises through September 30, so the CDC announcement has no impact. 

Probably because the cdc said they would extend it ,  during that big meeting with the cruiselines.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Probably because the cdc said they would extend it ,  during that big meeting with the cruiselines.  

Exactly correct. The poster that suggested that it had no impact probably didn't think it through.... the cruise lines were informed before the press release to the public.

I had a cruise booked on Joy for October 31.   Cancelled before final payment.  Just did a mock booking out of curiosity and all cabins marked sold out.   Assume that is cancelled.    Can’t imagine any ships leaving from Florida now with the state of the virus down there.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

Miami Herald reporting that CDC is not going to allow any US Sailings until at least Oct 1.   

While this is likely going to be the outcome, the CDC is not "not going to allow any US sailings" until Oct 1.  Any cruise line can restart operations prior to Oct 1 if their NSO response plan is approved by the CDC.  Currently Bahamas Paradise Cruises has their response plan approved, and plan to restart Aug 28.  They originally had planned to start July 25, but the problems in the US (especially Florida) and new Bahamian regulations pushed them back.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

October 1, 2021? 

At at minimum it will be Spring of 2021

People laughed at me when the shutdown occurred and I said back in March cruising is done for the year. By May, by June, by July, by August, by September they all shouted Lol

• Like 3

Let's keep the party going, or not.. But keep listening to NCL's marketing department on how they will keep you safe, not. 

The CDC has extended the No Sail Order and its report is a shocking read of how the cruise lines have responded to this virus. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html.

"Cumulative CDC data from the period of March 1 to July 10, 2020 reveal a total of 2,973 COVID-19 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships, in addition to 34 deaths. These data have also revealed a total of 99 outbreaks on 123 different cruise ships, meaning that 80% of ships within U.S. jurisdiction were affected by COVID-19 during this time frame. In addition, 9 ships still have ongoing or resolving COVID-19 outbreaks on board."

"The current scientific evidence suggests that cruise ships pose a greater risk of COVID-19 transmission than other settings. A recent article published in the Journal of Travel Medicine by Rocklöv et al. demonstrated that the Diamond Princess cruise ship experienced an onboard R0 (basic reproduction rate) for COVID-19 of 14.8 before ship-wide quarantine was enacted. This means that each case onboard the Diamond Princess transmitted COVID-19 to approximately 15 other people. This reproduction rate is approximately four times higher than the R0 of the original epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, China,..."

A reproduction rate of 15 is astounding. The report also notes examples of non-compliance on the original NSO by the different cruise lines. Doesn't build any confidence that the cruise lines have the understanding of what is needed to keep anyone safe from this virus.

18 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Keep right on believing that you will cruise in 2020, but the evidence points to no cruising the rest of this year, and probably not until late summer or early fall of 2021 as the earliest start date (and that may be wishful).

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Keep right on believing that you will cruise in 2020, but the evidence points to no cruising the rest of this year, and probably not until late summer or early fall of 2021 as the earliest start date (and that may be wishful).

Hope you are wrong about late 2021 we are re-booked in May 2021. The longer this continues the harder it will be for us to travel as a family but I need to keep them as safe as possible with the world in turmoil.

The 20 page CDC update is very sobering. I was originally very skeptical about why the cruise lines were continuing to get hammered for what I assumed were transgressions before cruising shutdown and we knew what was going on. The reason for the extension is partly due the fact that the ships and NCLH in particular can't even figure out how to stop continuing the spread on their ships among the crew now. They were sited for crew not wearing masks, crew eating from buffets, crew continuing social activities, etc. I think the only way it could possibly work is if the ships have a test that is both accurate and fast and in sufficient supply to do thousands of tests a day. We have all been hoping there would be some compromise between what the CDC was asking for and what the cruise lines would be capable of delivering but it appears the CDC is saying you can't even handle a ship with no passengers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kodos said:

The 20 page CDC update is very sobering. I was originally very skeptical about why the cruise lines were continuing to get hammered for what I assumed were transgressions before cruising shutdown and we knew what was going on. The reason for the extension is partly due the fact that the ships and NCLH in particular can't even figure out how to stop continuing the spread on their ships among the crew now. They were sited for crew not wearing masks, crew eating from buffets, crew continuing social activities, etc. I think the only way it could possibly work is if the ships have a test that is both accurate and fast and in sufficient supply to do thousands of tests a day. We have all been hoping there would be some compromise between what the CDC was asking for and what the cruise lines would be capable of delivering but it appears the CDC is saying you can't even handle a ship with no passengers. 

Spiritual anguish | Gene Veith