Bahamas closing its Doors

13 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Problem with the Astra Zeneca/ Oxford vaccine trials is 2 shots would required and right now the immunity lasts for only a few months. In the end I don’t think a fully effective year long immunity will be developed. Their trail also only was done on healthy people under 55!!! No one older . BFD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Moderna vaccine also requires 2 shots a month apart. But that is not unusual. Many, many vaccines require an initial shot and then follow up shot/shots.  My pneumonia vaccine had 3 shots.

No one knows how long the immunity will last yet. That is the whole premise of doing trials. And trials are usually done with healthy people until the vaccine is deemed safe and effective.

Phase II with 10,260 volunteers added volunteer groups of 56-69, over 70, and 5-12.  

Phase III will start by the end of the week in the US with 30,000 volunteers over 18. They have been trialing in other parts of the world like hard hit Brazil.

6 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Problem with the Astra Zeneca/ Oxford vaccine trials is 2 shots would required and right now the immunity lasts for only a few months. In the end I don’t think a fully effective year long immunity will be developed. Their trail also only was done on healthy people under 55!!! No one older . BFD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you provide a link for this please? I'm wondering how you know immunity only lasts a few months as the Phase 1 trial only started on 23 April.

Edited by Bobal

If we dig deep, a silver lining to being banned from travel to almost everywhere outside the US is that we are more or less "forced" to see the greatness that is our own country and pump our tourist dollars right back into our own economy!

My personal recommendation is to spend a few days seeing Seattle & the islands and then spend a week or so driving down the PCH along the Oregon coast to San Francisco, stopping to spend time in the charming beach towns along the way.  The pacific coastline is breathtaking and will make you wonder why you ever wanted to vacation outside the US!

• Like 1

If we dig deep, a silver lining to being banned from travel to almost everywhere outside the US is that we are more or less "forced" to see the greatness that is our own country and pump our tourist dollars right back into our own economy!

My personal recommendation is to spend a few days seeing Seattle & the islands and then spend a week or so driving down the PCH along the Oregon coast to San Francisco, stopping to spend time in the charming beach towns along the way.  The pacific coastline is breathtaking and will make you wonder why you ever wanted to vacation outside the US!
We actually had this same idea a few weeks ago after our second cruise was cancelled. We wanted to hop on Amtrak and go somewhere. First we wanted to take Amtrak to Vermont for a few days/week but Amtrak due to the virus isn't going all the way to Vermont, stops in Connecticut right now. Then we were thinking of going to Maine for a week. Amtrak to Portland and then explore different parts of the state. In the end we just felt it wasn't even there right time to do that, and just save the money.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, island lady said:

Cute...and a great idea...but we since we live in Florida, you and I have a free sauna anytime we walk outside right now. 😄 

We don't have a bathtub...have the now larger shower getting all tiled and set up for possible ADA needs and fixtures.  Which I hope won't be needed for a long awhile...but preparing for future needs.  

We sold the big house on the water, with the boats, docks, pool, jacuzzi, tropical landscaping, equaling way too much to take care of when we traveled.  

We re-did ours last year. Best decision we ever made.

01cbc26177ffc4dcebf88782675c8823d715107a12.jpg

01804d21f7b194e517c2976d70590c10a362ab5cdb.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

We actually had this same idea a few weeks ago after our second cruise was cancelled. We wanted to hop on Amtrak and go somewhere. First we wanted to take Amtrak to Vermont for a few days/week but Amtrak due to the virus isn't going all the way to Vermont, stops in Connecticut right now. Then we were thinking of going to Maine for a week. Amtrak to Portland and then explore different parts of the state. In the end we just felt it wasn't even there right time to do that, and just save the money.

I understand.  If things ever get to somewhat normal, I’d highly recommend it!

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

OMG!!  Your bathroom turned out beautiful!!  Not a bathtub person myself, but that sure looks inviting!  Great job!  🙂 

19 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Ah that is a splendid idea. Maine summers and Florida winters! Maine is my favorite state I have visited, I just love it. We have taken 2 cruises to Maine/Canada, 1st was out honeymoon and I could have just unpacked and started forever. The fall is stunningly gorgeous.
Florida winters must be just incredible. As I said I'd love to walk out if the house on Christmas day and it be 70+ degrees.
We are planning to do another 9 day Canada/NE cruise with the rest of our FCC. Not sure we will be able to with the rules Royal Caribbean has on FCC. Just the dates don't mesh the deadline for using FCC.

Since we were not going to Maine this summer (month of August in Alaska this year) I did schedule a 9 night NE/Canada out of Baltimore in June and another with 5 night B2B with Bermuda for September of this year.  Well....we know what happened to those cruises.  😞  Normally though, we are in Maine from June through September.  I already miss it dearly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, momofmab said:

Agree...beautiful all down the coast.  Love the drive down coastal highway in northern CA as well.  🙂 

Leaving on the 1st to spend the month of August in Alaska.  Got some pretty nice views there as well.  😉 

• Like 1

Since we were not going to Maine this summer (month of August in Alaska this year) I did schedule a 9 night NE/Canada out of Baltimore in June and another with 5 night B2B with Bermuda for September of this year.  Well....we know what happened to those cruises.  [emoji20]  Normally though, we are in Maine from June through September.  I already miss it dearly.  
I was planning to book us a 9 night NE/Canada cruise with the rest of our FCC but unfortunately can't under the rules.
Our May Oasis cruise was cancelled, used FCC to book Sept. And that was cancelled. Lift and shift to August 2021 (fare for 3, 1,355 in a central park balcony) which is why we had to lift and shift that fare. Now we can't use the rest of the FCC till after August 2021 cruise. We have to then book before December 31 and sail by April 30th 2022 which is not gonna be easy.
My guess is when the full 2022 schedule is released the deadline for sailing with FCC will be expanded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, orville99 said:

01cbc26177ffc4dcebf88782675c8823d715107a12.jpg

01804d21f7b194e517c2976d70590c10a362ab5cdb.jpg

Not to hijack the OP's post - but this idea of having the shower without a door and just the entryway rise separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom - does it work ok, and with the tub in the same shower area? I really love this idea.

• Thanks 1

That disappoints me they did not have any information on the condition of the newly infected. Increased cases was always the expectation when opening back up but now hospitals are better prepared. If we can isolate and protect the high risk to essential areas I think we could get through it until we reach Herd Immunity Threshold or vaccine. Personally I think HIT will be sooner it's but good to hedge our bets.

1 minute ago, HxFx said:

That disappoints me they did not have any information on the condition of the newly infected. Increased cases was always the expectation when opening back up but now hospitals are better prepared. If we can isolate and protect the high risk to essential areas I think we could get through it until we reach Herd Immunity Threshold or vaccine. Personally I think HIT will be sooner it's but good to hedge our bets.

How much is the threshold for herd immunity?  What percent of people would need to get the virus?

16 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Not to hijack the OP's post - but this idea of having the shower without a door and just the entryway rise separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom - does it work ok, and with the tub in the same shower area? I really love this idea.

We took the pictures before the glass company came in to install the door. However, we probably could have saved the money and eliminated the door, because it rarely even gets a few drops on it, let alone get wet.

Having the tub in the same enclosure is great, because we can use the shower wand to rinse off after a bath.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, orville99 said:

We took the pictures before the glass company came in to install the door. However, we probably could have saved the money and eliminated the door, because it rarely even gets a few drops on it, let alone get wet.

I'd imagine the steam would be all over the place without a door, forgot about that. But I really love this design!

1 minute ago, johnjen said:

I'd imagine the steam would be all over the place without a door, forgot about that. But I really love this design!

There is a rather powerful exhaust fan in the ceiling that prevents that from happening.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How much is the threshold for herd immunity?  What percent of people would need to get the virus?

I thought this article was compelling. I don't know anything about the author and he is definitely against another lockdown so may have a bias but he links to many medical sites/studies/etc. The argument is that Herd Immunity could be as low as 20%, particularly because some believe many of us have some built in immunity already having been exposed to other Corona viruses. Perhaps those are the ones with very mild to no symptoms.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/lockdown-lunacy-2-0-second-wave-not-even-close/?utm_source=salsa&eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=b9cd48f8-c7e8-4808-861e-aea068cb2e01

4 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I thought this article was compelling. I don't know anything about the author and he is definitely against another lockdown so may have a bias but he links to many medical sites/studies/etc. The argument is that Herd Immunity could be as low as 20%, particularly because some believe many of us have some built in immunity already having been exposed to other Corona viruses. Perhaps those are the ones with very mild to no symptoms.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/lockdown-lunacy-2-0-second-wave-not-even-close/?utm_source=salsa&eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=b9cd48f8-c7e8-4808-861e-aea068cb2e01

Interesting article.  Even at 20%, that's about 65,000,000 people (talking only about the US for these numbers).  Currently, about 2,400,000 people have had the virus.  Figuring that more have had the virus and weren't tested, let's double that number to about 5,000,000 that have had the virus.  So that leaves 60,000,000 people still needing to get the virus to reach the 20% herd immunity.  That would mean that about 164,000 people would have to catch the virus every day for a year.

I sure hope a vaccine is developed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We are thinking of moving to Virginia from NJ, Property Taxes are really low there compared to NJ........I'm wondering though are there other taxes people pay in Virginia I'm missing........compared to what I'm paying in NJ...........Anyone from Virginia out there know for sure?

My friends changed their residency from Virginia to Florida last year.  It seems like VA  income tax was one of the reasons for the move.  You might want to check that out.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:18 PM, Jimbo said:

We are thinking of moving to Virginia from NJ, Property Taxes are really low there compared to NJ........I'm wondering though are there other taxes people pay in Virginia I'm missing........compared to what I'm paying in NJ...........Anyone from Virginia out there know for sure?

3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

My friends changed their residency from Virginia to Florida last year.  It seems like VA  income tax was one of the reasons for the move.  You might want to check that out.

From a tax standpoint, Virginia has slightly lower overall total taxes than NJ.  The max income tax rate in Virginia is 5 3/4%.  Virginia has Personal Property taxes on autos, boats, campers, etc.  In Northern Virginia, real estate taxes are very very high.  Our house in Florida and Virginia are about the same size, but we pay more than 5 times in Virginia real estate taxes  when compared to what we pay in Florida. Virginia also has a lot of other nuisance taxes (electric bill, gas bill, telephone bill, internet/cable utility bills, etc.).  (PS - I am a retired CPA).

5 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

The title of this thread should be changed to - Bahamas closing its shower doors

Some of the Sandals we have stayed at, the showers did not have doors. Ironically, the one in Nassau did.

edit: when one door closes another opens. Welcome back.🙂

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We haven't had doors on our master bath walk in showers in the past two houses we've built.  It's not for everyone (shower head positioning is key).

Our last home recently sold for a second time and I looked through the listing pics to see what they had changed since we built it, and noticed they added a door to the shower 🙃

Won't hurt my feelings if they keep Nassau and Freeport remain closed forever.  Do hope to get back to Coco Cay at some point...extremely commercialized compared to years ago, but they did a nice job overall.

Edited by bucfan2