Bahamas Ban US Residents

llawrence

As of yesterday the Bahamas has banned entry to Us residents......Since cruise lines are thinking about short cruises .....an Key West is thinking about not allowing cruise ships....how will this play out?

To be 'clearer' Key West may bar certain 'size' ships, not ALL ships.

As well, it is a referendum to be voted on in November to take effect in 2021.

bon voyage

43 minutes ago, llawrence said:

As of yesterday the Bahamas has banned entry to Us residents......Since cruise lines are thinking about short cruises .....an Key West is thinking about not allowing cruise ships....how will this play out?

How many private islands can Royal buy, lol ? Yes I have long given up hope for cruising 2020, the more dire question is will they restart in 2021??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, llawrence said:

US citizens = persona non grata most everywhere these days.  Not at all surprising.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

To be 'clearer' Key West may bar certain 'size' ships, not ALL ships.

As well, it is a referendum to be voted on in November to take effect in 2021.

bon voyage

Yes, but according to "Don" (forgot his last name) of a YouTube cruising channel that he has, yesterday in his daily update he did the math. Based on the size limit rules under consideration, the limit would ban all ships used by any cruise line that operates in US waters (all over the passenger & crew limits). So, in affect, it would ban all cruise ships. Hopefully, the KW business owners will see the that they will be badly burned (out of business) if this law is passed.

14 minutes ago, sptrout said:

Yes, but according to "Don" (forgot his last name) of a YouTube cruising channel that he has, yesterday in his daily update he did the math. Based on the size limit rules under consideration, the limit would ban all ships used by any cruise line that operates in US waters (all over the passenger & crew limits). So, in affect, it would ban all cruise ships. Hopefully, the KW business owners will see the that they will be badly burned (out of business) if this law is passed.

I understand, yet per the 'referendum' it is 'passenger' count and does not include crew.

As such, either the calculation is incorrect for some reason or he did not fully read the proposed referendum.

That count is 1,300, passengers only and not crew.

bon voyage

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I understand, yet per the 'referendum' it is 'passenger' count and does not include crew.

As such, either the calculation is incorrect for some reason or he did not fully read the proposed referendum.

That count is 1,300, passengers only and not crew.

bon voyage

I forgot how Don did his math, but his conclusion was that there will be a KW shutdown. Since all the cruise ships in US waters are much larger than 1,300 passengers, how will any cruise line be able to add KW to their long term plans? Cannot determine a KW visit based on each cruise's nose count. Will be a mess no matter what if KW votes for this plan. Cruising for the next few year I am afraid will be a mess no matter what KW decides. What will follow COVID-19? A new coronavirus, or a new bad flu? They are coming sooner or later. I guess that we will need to buy a row boat and just float down the rivers here in Texas.

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

US citizens = persona non grata most everywhere these days.  Not at all surprising.

Courage, it is just another country that closes its borders. I hope that in a short time things will improve and these policies will be withdrawn.

51 minutes ago, sptrout said:

It would probably ban the mainstream cruise lines. There are luxury lines that would be in compliance. I've not spent time in Key West outside of a cruise stop, but I can definitely understand why this would be desirable for them.  Not sure how much cruise passengers actually spend on the island typically or how much of a revenue drop it would be for businesses... But personally, when I plan a land trip, I avoid locations that are cruise ship stops. They may find that their overall business gets better from more land tourists. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Courage, it is just another country that closes its borders. I hope that in a short time things will improve and these policies will be withdrawn.

Surely it will, because we have the lowest mortality rate in the world, or at least that's what I heard from a high authority. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, jwc1027 said:

How many private islands can Royal buy, lol ? Yes I have long given up hope for cruising 2020, the more dire question is will they restart in 2021??

The "private islands" are still subject to the laws of the country they are part of. Unless the Bahamian government makes a specific exemption, cruise lines won't be able to use these islands if they have US passengers or crew aboard:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The "private islands" are still subject to the laws of the country they are part of. Unless the Bahamian government makes a specific exemption, cruise lines won't be able to use these islands if they have US passengers or crew aboard:

I do not believe that the Bahamas can, or will, make exceptions for the so called private islands within their territory. As far as I know, and certainly the ones that we have visited, local people do much of the work on these islands before returning home to their native island(s). The last one we visited was just last December at MSC's new Ocean Cay private island. MSC spent millions of dollars there, but there are still many locals that work, and stay there in what are apparently apartments, for a few weeks before returning home. A COVID outbreak there would be a nightmare.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Don is not that bright. I watched a couple of his videos and quickly determined that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I cannot determine Don's IQ based on the few videos that I have seen the past four weeks. I assume that before the current COVID disaster that his videos where all based on his cruise experiences(?). Now, he has no choice except to report and complain about the current situation all over the world. He is obviously very frustrated at current situation, and since he is Canadian, his perspective is a little different that those of us that live in the US. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sptrout said:

I do not believe that the Bahamas can, or will, make exceptions for the so called private islands within their territory. As far as I know, and certainly the ones that we have visited, local people do much of the work on these islands before returning home to their native island(s). The last one we visited was just last December at MSC's new Ocean Cay private island. MSC spent millions of dollars there, but there are still many locals that work, and stay there in what are apparently apartments, for a few weeks before returning home. A COVID outbreak there would be a nightmare.

I agree with you 100%. When I said that the Bahamian government would have to make an exception, I wasn't suggesting that they would or should do so.

Just now, Fouremco said:

I agree with you 100%. When I said that the Bahamian government would have to make an exception, I wasn't suggesting that they would or should do so.

I did not think that you were suggesting exemptions. I was just expanding on the issue; I hope LOL.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Short cruises other than possibly Mexico not looking good!

This ban also rules out  the two Sandals resorts we were thinking about.  

There are still River and  inter coastal cruises in the USA...some look very interesting in terms of historic sites and  natural beauty!

Our vacation  place in Fla is looking better and better once the numbers  of Covid cases improve...and we feel safe enough to fly!

1 hour ago, sptrout said:

I forgot how Don did his math, but his conclusion was that there will be a KW shutdown. Since all the cruise ships in US waters are much larger than 1,300 passengers, how will any cruise line be able to add KW to their long term plans? Cannot determine a KW visit based on each cruise's nose count. Will be a mess no matter what if KW votes for this plan. Cruising for the next few year I am afraid will be a mess no matter what KW decides. What will follow COVID-19? A new coronavirus, or a new bad flu? They are coming sooner or later. I guess that we will need to buy a row boat and just float down the rivers here in Texas.

To be sure, there are at least four (4) 'potential' commercial lines with ships that will fit the criteria of the referendum, e.g. Regent, Crystal, Viking Oceania and Silverseas... to name at least four (4)...

bon voyage

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

To be sure, there are at least four (4) 'potential' commercial lines with ships that will fit the criteria of the referendum, e.g. Regent, Crystal, Viking Oceania and Silverseas... to name at least four (4)...

bon voyage

But, will they, or do they now? I do not know. Then, they may have no choice if the other ports of call do not open up. 

To be clear, this is a ban on all travel From the US, not just US residents. Anyone living, visiting the US can’t then go to the Bahama’s. 

Ohhhhh, I’m soooo sorry I can’t go to Nassau......oh gee. Tongue in Cheek since there are few if any spots we can now travel to outside our boarders and the Bahama’s, especially Nassau was never high up (or even on) my list of want-to-go-to’s.  I’ve stayed oboard more than a few times calling there. 

Den

• Like 3

I cannot determine Don's IQ based on the few videos that I have seen the past four weeks. I assume that before the current COVID disaster that his videos where all based on his cruise experiences(?). Now, he has no choice except to report and complain about the current situation all over the world. He is obviously very frustrated at current situation, and since he is Canadian, his perspective is a little different that those of us that live in the US. 

I believe Don is a travel agent. I would be frustrated too in that occupation. But his videos before Covid did not impress me but that was possibly because I was not new to cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, llawrence said:

Until the USA gets a handle on Covid-19. 

We can't even travel into Canada.  

• Like 1