Where in the Caribbean would you return for a Land-only vacation?

2chiefs

#1 ---  Puerto Rico.     We just love the vibe in OSJ, and really want to explore out of the city for a few days.

#2 ---  Aruba.     We were there in March and loved the island.   Also several resorts on the strip that seemed like nice stays.

#3 --- Roatan.    The island as a whole may not be the most savory, but the beach on the West End is thebest beach we've ever been on.    The right resort there would be a fun week.

Honerable Mentions  ---   Curacao, St. Maarten, Grand Cayman

• Like 1

100% any of the ABC Islands.

Bonaire: could spend a LOT of time out in the water at Klein Bonaire!

Aruba: amazing beaches, lots of "amenities" 

Curacao: great culture, lots to see

Narrowing it even futher it would be a coin toss between Bonaire and Aruba as we are "Ocean/beach people."

• Like 4

22 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Aruba started allowing US residents on July 10th.  Have to take the PCR test within 72 hours of traveling (all states) or at the airport when you arrive (certain states only). Also, need to by Covid-19 insurance $15 pp/pd to cover the cost of any potential diagnosis / treatment.

Awesome, thanks!

10 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 6.15.56 PM.png

Nice!

Do you wade out to it? I don't see a boat dock.

What about sewer, water & electricity? Or the Wi Fi

Getting supplies must be rough.... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

Nice!

Do you wade out to it? I don't see a boat dock.

What about sewer, water & electricity? Or the Wi Fi

Getting supplies must be rough.... 🙂

Easy peasy...you see the rope tied to the end of the stairs?  That's where I dock my canoe that I use for hauling supplies to and from the mainland.  I have a water collecting system out back.  No need for sewer -- waste is composted and used for fertilizer and to feed the fishies.  The solar panels take care of the electricity and the solar powered WiFi router.  Living off the grid has never been easier!  🤪 🤣

On 7/21/2020 at 8:20 AM, 2chiefs said:

We've been on a lot of cruises in the Caribbean and with cruises on the hiatus I was thinking of maybe taking a land-based vacation sometime when things start opening back up.

What is your favorite destination and would you consider taking a land-based vacation back there?

I agree...moreso than somewhere in the Caribbean, I'd opt for a visit to the National Parks here in the US. Actually we HAVE a trip booked for October but probably won't be going. Western US doesn't seem the best place to be at the moment, plus having to fly, etc. Sad cause I have been so looking forward to it - 3 weeks in all to spend enough time at several parks. Some less complicated alternative sounds attractive - even just a week or so at a small resort (cottages) in the Pocono Mts. that we've been to over the years. Something simple, quiet and peaceful - take along some books to read, etc. Fall foliage Blue Ridge parkway drive sounds nice too. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 7/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Easy peasy...you see the rope tied to the end of the stairs?  That's where I dock my canoe that I use for hauling supplies to and from the mainland.  I have a water collecting system out back.  No need for sewer -- waste is composted and used for fertilizer and to feed the fishies.  The solar panels take care of the electricity and the solar powered WiFi router.  Living off the grid has never been easier!  🤪 🤣

LOL

Sweet.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reginaldvanpelt said:

Bonaire is our favorite, just everything about it!

We've only been to Bonaire once. It was nice but we didn't think it was that great. We don't snorkel or dive however and I've heard it's a great place for doing that. Plus a single visit may not really really convey the flavor of a destination.

T

St. Thomas and St. John.  My DH and I lived on St. Thomas for eight years (1985 - 1989 and 1999 - 2003).  We often joked that we lived and worked on St. Thomas so we could visit St. John.  We loved them both!

We've visited many isles, quite a few several times in different areas of that island.  I always return with a deeper understanding of the language, food & culture of the places we visited.  I can never understand how some cruisers confine themselves to the immediate port area and then say they've seen the island.  Different strokes, I guess.

We've stayed in Antigua 2x, St Thomas 5x,  Sint Marteen 3x,  Grenada 1x, Barbados 2x, St Lucia 1x, PR 3x, DomRep 8x, Aruba 3x,  & Jamaica 3x,.

We could throw in non Caribbean locations like Turks & Caicos 2x, Cancun & Playa del Carmen maybe 15x together, Costa Rica 4x, Panama 2x, Roatan 2x and Belize 1x.

We'd still like a long visit in Cuba, and a port stop in Cartagena. This year we had the virus cancel Egypt, Iceland, Norway and another Panama cruise, so they are still on our bucket list. We loved land tours in Australia and New Zealand, but the best vacation we ever had was in Tahitian overwater bungalows in Bora Bora and Moorea, so spectacular we returned a 2nd time.  Heaven!

OP:  what a great question!

For me:  first choice would be St. Lucia.  From my first visit in 1970 to my recent visit not long ago, each was delightful.  Pleasant people and beautiful scenery.  I would probably choose a resort near Soufriere because I like that area from what I have seen.  The Marigot Bay area of the island would be another possible area.  

Second Choice would be St. Thomas simply because I could choose a resort away from the hub-up of Charlotte Amalie if I wished and join the more "active" action of the city when I chose to do so.  

The bottom on my list is Jamaica.  Any port, any where, any time.  Beautiful island with some of the citizens that know very well how to alienate tourists extraordinarily well.  

• Like 1

We've done land vacations on quite a few of the Caribbean Islands. Barbados is by far our favorite. We're  considering another land vacation this winter in lieu of a cruise. Right now Cuba is top of our list (if it reopens to tourists), mainly because there are so few Americans. Sorry if that offends anyone, but your COVID stats make me want to keep as far away  as possible 

• Like 1