If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

9 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

rather than place other people's lives in jeopardy. 

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. I believe everyone should be vaccinated to cruise, however, there is not a 100% certainly that vaccinated people can or cannot spread the virus to others. 

It’s my understanding, the vaccine just aids the body to fight off the virus and reduce the probability of hospitalization. 

So, it’s my belief, the unvaccinated are more likely to get really sick, sick enough to require hospitalization, than those vaccinated. To me, that’s what both the CDC and cruise lines don’t want to happen. 

I haven’t seen any data that suggests  a vaccinated person or unvaccinated person is more or less likely to infect others. 

M8

28 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I never said you said it, I said "some" as it has been done. I have also stated that my sister (the person with the PEG allergy) is not a cruiser....so you can feel safe on your cruise knowing she won't be trying to kill you.

Life is dangerous. Many people are killed in car accidents. Should we all stop driving so we don't "place other people's lives in jeopardy"? 

I am suggesting that we do not vilify someone for their choices or to make blanket statements.

I think you may be missing the point of many posters. I have no issue with an unvaccinated person on the ship being a danger to me. I will take whatever steps I deem necessary to protect me. My point has been that if everyone being vaccinated means others measures such as masks, distancing, reservations to use a pool, port restriction, etc., would not be necessary then I fully support the mandate. Is is fair to have all these restrictions in place for everyone, and distrupt the return to as normal as cruise experience as possible, to accommodate those who can't, or won't, be vaccinated?

Of course, in the end, it is the cruise lines and various port governments who will end up making the call.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think you may be missing the point of many posters. I have no issue with an unvaccinated person on the ship being a danger to me. I will take whatever steps I deem necessary to protect me. My point has been that if everyone being vaccinated means others measures such as masks, distancing, reservations to use a pool, port restriction, etc., would not be necessary then I fully support the mandate. Is is fair to have all these restrictions in place for everyone, and distrupt the return to as normal as cruise experience as possible, to accommodate those who can't, or won't, be vaccinated?

Of corse, in the end, it is the cruise lines and various port governments who will wnd up making the call.

The current opinion is that masks, social distancing, etc will still be necessary even with the vaccine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaroleSS said:

The current opinion is that masks, social distancing, etc will still be necessary even with the vaccine.

Did I not start my premise with the word IF? And current opinion is fairly meaningless. And as meaningless as my opinion may be, I think if fully vaccinated cruises go well then the restrictions will be lifted lifted sooner than later.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CaroleSS said:

Just a reason to not cruise for a long time.  I am sure there are several people who will be ok with all those restrictions.  At least for one cruise.  I am not sure about repeat business which the cruise lines will need.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Which one?  This one or the previous post I quoted?  You confuse me. 😇

"rather than place other people's lives in jeopardy. '

"I’m not sure I agree with this statement. " This one.   ☺️

Edited by MaritimeR&R

24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

My worry is that a small but vocal cadre of people who can't get vaccinated for whatever reason are going to sue if they aren't allowed to cruise. And I don't like that prospect one bit. 

I'm there with ya......but we all know that the small minority is heard before the majority.....the squeaky wheel and all!

Guess Spock was wrong.....🙁

• Like 1

MaritimeR&R, I agree with you.  For those that choose not to get it, that's their choice and sadly, there will be limitations...not just with cruising but with other things in life (e.g. they've mentioned this for going to the theatre).  And for those that can't, that sucks and I feel for them.  But I too agree that cruises should require the vaccine to board.  We'll be delayed ourselves as one of our kids can't get it yet due to her age....so we will wait until then.  It's for the safety of everyone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

MaritimeR&R, I agree with you.  For those that choose not to get it, that's their choice and sadly, there will be limitations...not just with cruising but with other things in life (e.g. they've mentioned this for going to the theatre).  And for those that can't, that sucks and I feel for them.  But I too agree that cruises should require the vaccine to board.  We'll be delayed ourselves as one of our kids can't get it yet due to her age....so we will wait until then.  It's for the safety of everyone.

Lu, off topic but there’s a nicely priced 5 day sailing on Mariner Dec 19 to 24, 2022 that falls within our proposed school break without the Christmas pricing.  I’m looking at that and then maybe heading to Key West for a few days after. 

Has anyone seen or heard about this WSJ op ed?  I heard it discussed on a couple of radio and tv  news programs, but mainstream media has ignored it completely.  This guy has a very good track record about where this virus has been going over the last months.   BTW, we're still getting the vaccine.  In fact my DH is getting his first shot on Thurs and I'll be scheduling mine soon, just waiting for the Dept of Health to email me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731?fbclid=IwAR39Qi6s2Q7ySuF30Je6Xl0MxYs74vK4Til5C2Tjh089lEYtpz2u5LLhtuc

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Lu, off topic but there’s a nicely priced 5 day sailing on Mariner Dec 19 to 24, 2022 that falls within our proposed school break without the Christmas pricing.  I’m looking at that and then maybe heading to Key West for a few days after. 

Thanks so much.  We like Mariner and yes prices are normal.  Will definitely keep it in mind.  The only bottleneck I see is it's out of Port Canaveral, so flights may be inflated (Christmas + Disney World destination)

21 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks so much.  We like Mariner and yes prices are normal.  Will definitely keep it in mind.  The only bottleneck I see is it's out of Port Canaveral, so flights may be inflated (Christmas + Disney World destination)

Not leaving until Monday, if we go that route we are definitely driving. 

you might be ok on flights as it’s before Christmas.  I would imagine there is a lot more southbound demand on the 24th than there is northbound. Booking flights early on this one would be advisable. 

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not leaving until Monday, if we go that route we are definitely driving. 

you might be ok on flights as it’s before Christmas.  I would imagine there is a lot more southbound demand on the 24th than there is northbound. Booking flights early on this one would be advisable. 

Thanks.  Yeah I guess it depends as it's school break.  

It's good if you can drive.  Florida is too far for us (long for kids, plus I have a bad back and can't sit too long), but would consider driving to New Jersey if needed.

Appreciate the info.  I've marked Mariner on my spreadsheet where i monitor "unbooked" cruises. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Did I not start my premise with the word IF? And current opinion is fairly meaningless. And as meaningless as my opinion may be, I think if fully vaccinated cruises go well then the restrictions will be lifted lifted sooner than later.

And add to that, if a bad cruise happens wait for the fall out to come/follow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

Has anyone seen or heard about this WSJ op ed?  I heard it discussed on a couple of radio and tv  news programs, but mainstream media has ignored it completely.  This guy has a very good track record about where this virus has been going over the last months.   BTW, we're still getting the vaccine.  In fact my DH is getting his first shot on Thurs and I'll be scheduling mine soon, just waiting for the Dept of Health to email me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731?fbclid=IwAR39Qi6s2Q7ySuF30Je6Xl0MxYs74vK4Til5C2Tjh089lEYtpz2u5LLhtuc

Yes, I heard about this author the other day.

I would encourage people to save this article or print it out, even better. The way things are going, anyone who dares to offer a rosy prognosis is usually banned or discredited in short order. It happened to an economist last November from JHU, so it could befall this man, too. I thought his last paragraph was especially telling:

"Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices."

Some have argued that Dr. Makary isn't an epidemiologist or a virologist. So? He's still a medical doctor, even if his field of expertise lies elsewhere. I think he's onto something.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Someone on this forum asked when the experimental phase of the vaccines would end. 

NJ 

Found this:

The estimated completion date for Pfizer/BioNtech trials is Jan 31, 2023. The estimate completion date for Moderna trials is October 27, 2022.

I guess it depends on what you mean by experimental... The efficacy trials are over. All they're collecting now is safety data, and monitoring for infection. The placebo group is effectively gone in both trials.

They'll need 6 months of safety data to obtain full approval, which both will hit in April-ish. I would expect the vaccine to come off of EUA and instead be authorized conventionally around then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, I heard about this author the other day.

I would encourage people to save this article or print it out, even better. The way things are going, anyone who dares to offer a rosy prognosis is usually banned or discredited in short order. It happened to an economist last November from JHU, so it could befall this man, too. I thought his last paragraph was especially telling:

"Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices."

Some have argued that Dr. Makary isn't an epidemiologist or a virologist. So? He's still a medical doctor, even if his field of expertise lies elsewhere. I think he's onto something.

I know someone who works for a non profit healthcare council in DC and she said they have a lot of respect for Dr. Markary and she has followed him for a while.  This is not the first time he's spoken out.  The biggest take away from this article is the numbers.  Cases are dropping and it's too much to be just from the vaccine as such a small percentage of people have gotten it so far and a lot of those are not the ones that were out spreading it.  Most are older or in the healthcare field.  But, I could see being told to not talk publicly.  As I said above, we're still going to get the vaccine.  Herd immunity means it's no longer a pandemic but become endemic, like the flu and other viruses so it will still exist, just not in the numbers it currently does.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, lizzius said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by experimental... The efficacy trials are over. All they're collecting now is safety data, and monitoring for infection. The placebo group is effectively gone in both trials.

They'll need 6 months of safety data to obtain full approval, which both will hit in April-ish. I would expect the vaccine to come off of EUA and instead be authorized conventionally around then. 

Isn't the vaccine experimental until the trials are complete?  

NJ

31 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Isn't the vaccine experimental until the trials are complete?  

NJ

Absolutely.  The paperwork I received yesterday after receiving the Moderna vaccine specifically says I received an unapproved vaccine and there are no FDA approved Covid 19 vaccines.  It goes on to state the FDA authorized use of the Moderna Covid 19 vaccine under an Emergency Use Authorization.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

I never said you said it, I said "some" as it has been done. I have also stated that my sister (the person with the PEG allergy) is not a cruiser....so you can feel safe on your cruise knowing she won't be trying to kill you.

Life is dangerous. Many people are killed in car accidents. Should we all stop driving so we don't "place other people's lives in jeopardy"? 

I am suggesting that we do not vilify someone for their choices or to make blanket statements.

At a certain time in many peoples lives they have to stop driving. There is no right to keep driving. As far as your sister and others with PEG allergies the J&J vaccine which is about to be approved for use had no allergic reactions in their trials. That is good news right?   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

"rather than place other people's lives in jeopardy. '

"I’m not sure I agree with this statement. " This one.   ☺️

I believe everyone should have the vaccine at this time to cruise. I don’t believe a unvaccinated person is more likely to spread the virus than a vaccinated one.  The vaccine just lowers the risk of getting seriously ill. 

M8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe everyone should have the vaccine at this time to cruise. I don’t believe a unvaccinated person is more likely to spread the virus than a vaccinated one.  The vaccine just lowers the risk of getting seriously ill. 

M8

There is emerging new evidence that vaccinated people may well be less likely to be able to transmit (spread) the virus. I just got out of an RI Dept of Health meeting a short time ago. The info is coming out of Israel.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2