Safety Drill enhancement

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

And I wonder if there will be a rush for everyone to report to their muster station to check in creating more of log jam of people crammed in to get signed off by the crew. Doesn't look like social distancing to me.

Maybe once you board, you have to go to your muster station to pick up your room key.  So won’t be able to buy anything or get into your room until you go.  How about kiosks before you board to watch the video and take the test?

• Like 1

This is fantastic news! OnTheJourney, your perspective is very important, and I do agree that some won’t take this new way as seriously. This pandemic has made it health-wise unsafe to do the traditional muster, so they’re gonna have to make it as thorough yet protective as possible. Scanning your cruise card at your matter station sometime before sailing would serve as an easy attendance method and of course clicking agree on your device after going through the training. I’m sure they’ll have some kinks to work out, but I do think this is the way of the future.

2 hours ago, lovelife said:

Yes, we are very fortunate but.........believe me, we worked extremely hard for many years to enjoy this life.

I know what you mean. 34 years of teaching wasn't a walk in the park either. Retired early so that we could TRAVEL...so now here we are.....at home. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, twangster said:

The licensing component is an interesting twist.  Waiving the licensing fees in the near term allows "other" lines (cough cough Carnival) to follow suit but later will require license fees.  It will be very interesting to see how Carnival handles this.  Merely copying may mean potential infringement.  Guests will demand this so it somewhat forces their hand.  They'll likely claim they were developing something on their own without knowledge or awareness.  Bring on the lawyers. 

I took a look at the patent and FWIW I think it's not that strong. The claims are very specific and it looks like whoever wrote the patent was rushed and just tried to cover the basic concept. They even paid extra to expedite it through the patent office. I could design an app that does the same thing but doesn't infringe that patent. That may be why Royal isn't asking for licencing fees, they know everyone else would tell them to go pound sand. But it's a nice gesture...

I just noticed that they have another patent application still in the pipeline. So maybe more to come.

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Believe it or not, Sometimes people get stuff wrong. 

I think context is important. I never thought they would allow the muster drill to include a cheesy super-spy adventure movie but I was wrong.

Edited by Pratique

On 7/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Having been a passenger on a ship that nearly averted disaster and declared a mayday that resulted in having over 400 passengers evacuated by helicopter, I totally disagree with your mode of thinking on this. I guarantee you that when that mayday signal is called, in the heat of the moment you'll be lucky if you can even remember where your muster station is, let alone what else you're supposed to do. Reducing the essential components of a drill to an option whereby you view it on your own (not including the in-person follow-up) will surely result in many people simply NOT bothering to even do it, but then telling the crew they did. I have a unique take on all this having been through the "real deal". The importance of these drills should not be underestimated. I, too, admit to having been one that - while always paying attention during drills (even prior to my evacuation experience) - also felt it one of those necessary chores that I was always anxious for to be over. I've stood in lines where people are on their phones, talking, etc. not really paying attention. So now you're going to expect that people will take the time - once onboard and anxious to get their cruise activities underway - to view a safety procedure if not really compelled to do so?  Joke....

I fully see your point, especially after what you went through. But between us, if you see how many people don't take the exercise serious and pay attention the new process will not be less effective. It's the full responsibility of each and every guest to take this exericse serious. I don't know yet if I will just head to the muster station straight after boarding the ship to get it out of the way. I will also take the time either before sail away or shortly after, let's say on the way to dinner, to go out from the cabin and walk the full route I would need to take to my muster station. This is something within at least the 24 hours of boarding each passenger should do, but here everyone is responsible for themselves.

31 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I fully see your point, especially after what you went through. But between us, if you see how many people don't take the exercise serious and pay attention the new process will not be less effective. It's the full responsibility of each and every guest to take this exericse serious. I don't know yet if I will just head to the muster station straight after boarding the ship to get it out of the way. I will also take the time either before sail away or shortly after, let's say on the way to dinner, to go out from the cabin and walk the full route I would need to take to my muster station. This is something within at least the 24 hours of boarding each passenger should do, but here everyone is responsible for themselves.

Everyone will have to checkin at their muster station before the ship even leaves port.

1 hour ago, ATC cruiser said:

Everyone will have to checkin at their muster station before the ship even leaves port.

Did I say something different, no.

What I said, it's each passenger's own responsibility to take this little but very important element of the cruise serious and take the time within the first 24 hours on board to familiarize himself how to get from his statereoom the fastest to their muster station and to walk the full route at least once. Going to your muster station with no orientation right after boarding, to tick it off th list is not enough, that's what I said.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:02 AM, robc1972 said:

With all the cameras onboard they could probably use facial recognition and find them pretty quickly and send security to get them.

It's gonna be hard to use facial recognition systems with everyone wearing a mask.

38 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

It's gonna be hard to use facial recognition systems with everyone wearing a mask.

Plus if you saw the video of the child being dropped from Freedom of the Seas you'd realize that most of the cameras are not that good.

59 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Did I say something different, no.

What I said, it's each passenger's own responsibility to take this little but very important element of the cruise serious and take the time within the first 24 hours on board to familiarize himself how to get from his statereoom the fastest to their muster station and to walk the full route at least once. Going to your muster station with no orientation right after boarding, to tick it off th list is not enough, that's what I said.

sorry, I missed the word also in your original post. 

21 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Didn’t someone insist this would never be allowed?

Yeah...the same guy who has been called out on several of his adamant insights...but some on here think he is a god.....

39 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Yeah...the same guy who has been called out on several of his adamant insights...but some on here think he is a god.....

Sorry, he may have been wrong a few times, but he does give valuable insight.

Between you and him, I would give his posts a bit more  credence than your posts.

Things change.

After all this is basically an opinion board.  I post on my experiences and you post on your experiences.  He posts on his experiences and real world expertise.  The real world does change.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gatour said:

Sorry, he may have been wrong a few times, but he does give valuable insight.

Between you and him, I would give his posts a bit more  credence than your posts.

Things change.

After all this is basically an opinion board.  I post on my experiences and you post on your experiences.  He posts on his experiences and real world expertise.  The real world does change.

Good for you....you are in his fan club.....nice...personally I am not here to impress anyone...my goal is to learn from others and  help people in areas I have expertise...such as onboard evaporated water potentially containing high levels of sodium....or onboard water potentially causing discoloration of dyed hair. You see, being a sea going sailor...I have learned a long time ago nothing is absolute.....in this case, for someone to speak in absolutes with countless posts supporting their theory and dismissing what can potentially happen will only come back to haunt you. Murphy's law so to speak. A good engineer is always aware of the intangibles and does not speak in absolutes. However if they do, I am sure it has or will be brought to their attention in reviews from superiors. 

8 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

Plus if you saw the video of the child being dropped from Freedom of the Seas you'd realize that most of the cameras are not that good.

You just have to use the magic Zoom and Enhance button they have on teevee and in movies. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I guess they will have someone from the crew there to tick you off, simmilar as they did so far when showing up during the drill. If they need to take a foto from you, then for this you will need to take your mask of for a second.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

All ships do not have interactive TV's, does anyone know if they going to refit all ships with them?

No, just like not everyone has a mobile device - some version of the old style muster drill must still be available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

No, just like not everyone has a mobile device - some version of the old style muster drill must still be available.

For such cases it will likely be enough that the guests will show up at the Muster Station and check.in with the crew member located there.