GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS FUTURE?

Oh my fond memories of the old Lady Grandeur. My very first big ship - in those days called a " Megaliner"- when she just came out! They still called our sailing  " Inaugural Season"!

There were formal nights- semi formal nights and casual nights- those were the days..LOL!

• Like 1

Curious:  Did the Grandeur ever receive upgrades/sprucing up?  I'm always felt that Royal took those of us who sail out of Baltimore for granted. 

By the way, don't forget that Amtrak has the Auto Train to Florida that leaves from Lorton, VA (south of DC).  I don't fly and take it for my Fort Lauderdale and Miami cruises. 

1 hour ago, JHU said:

Curious:  Did the Grandeur ever receive upgrades/sprucing up?  I'm always felt that Royal took those of us who sail out of Baltimore for granted. 

By the way, don't forget that Amtrak has the Auto Train to Florida that leaves from Lorton, VA (south of DC).  I don't fly and take it for my Fort Lauderdale and Miami cruises. 

She did a few years ago when cabins and Izumi and Giovanni's were added.   They also moved the computer area and next cruise booking areas.  As well as new carpeting, drapes, etc.  Since then, they've upgraded bedding.  

We always take the Auto Train when we go to FL.  We live  about 40 min from Lorton.

I just did a rough count, it’s over 30 cruises aboard Grandeur for us. I know folks that have done many times that amount. It doesn’t matter, 3 or 30, it’s a great ship with the best crew and officers in the fleet. We did the last cruise in March before Covid closed the world down. We are scheduled for March 26 2021, the last cruise. I hope it happens. We made Pinnacle aboard Grandeur last August with Captain Thor. We have many good memories and had good times sailing from Baltimore. 

277816DF-F90E-4D2B-AA2A-C882898932D1.jpeg

Edited by djjoe
  • Like 2

djjoe - We will be on the 26 March cruise as well. Nice picture of you two celebrating reaching Pinnacle. We were there on that cruise and in the audience when you received your awards. Hope the Grandeur will return, but have our doubts.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 8:56 PM, djjoe said:

I just did a rough count, it’s over 30 cruises aboard Grandeur for us. I know folks that have done many times that amount. It doesn’t matter, 3 or 30, it’s a great ship with the best crew and officers in the fleet. We did the last cruise in March before Covid closed the world down. We are scheduled for March 26 2021, the last cruise. I hope it happens. We made Pinnacle aboard Grandeur last August with Captain Thor. We have many good memories and had good times sailing from Baltimore. 

I made pinnacle on grandeur as well when Captain Espen was onboard.     It's so nice when you've been on enough the staff and crew tease you that they see you more than their family.   Hopefully the March cruise will be number 45 for us on her.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:22 AM, JHU said:

I have always thought about giving that train ride a try to do something different.  How do you like it?   Nice ride with some scenery?  

On 8/1/2020 at 5:09 PM, kruzinkel said:

Does Tampa have the same bridge issue as Baltimore?  I have a January 2022 booked on Rhapsody- but if that smaller class of ships go away- what else can go to Tampa?  I haven't sailed out of Tampa before

The Brilliance also sails out of Tampa.

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have always thought about giving that train ride a try to do something different.  How do you like it?   Nice ride with some scenery?  

It's my preferred way to travel to Florida (I don't fly and wouldn't want the long drive).  I'm in Baltimore, so the drive down to Lorton, VA, is an hour and a quarter; from Sanford, FL, to Fort Lauderdale/Miami about 3-4 hours.  I have an Amtrak credit card so book with points.  I get a deluxe bedroom with sink and combination toilet/shower.  You leave at 4:00 p.m. and arrive between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m.  Three course meal for dinner and continental for breakfast.  For me, it's an adventure.  The best scenery for me is south of DC into northern Virginia and rolling through the small towns.  Nothing beats pulling the curtains in the morning and seeing your first palm tree.

57 minutes ago, JHU said:

It's my preferred way to travel to Florida (I don't fly and wouldn't want the long drive).  I'm in Baltimore, so the drive down to Lorton, VA, is an hour and a quarter; from Sanford, FL, to Fort Lauderdale/Miami about 3-4 hours.  I have an Amtrak credit card so book with points.  I get a deluxe bedroom with sink and combination toilet/shower.  You leave at 4:00 p.m. and arrive between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m.  Three course meal for dinner and continental for breakfast.  For me, it's an adventure.  The best scenery for me is south of DC into northern Virginia and rolling through the small towns.  Nothing beats pulling the curtains in the morning and seeing your first palm tree.

We also have a Amtrak points cc and have a lot of points now that we haven't been able to use them.  We book Acela when we go to NJ and get a bedroom when we take the auto train.  I like having our own "room" and bathroom.  We did coach when we first started on the AT and moved to roomettes and now only do bedrooms.  We currently have at least 130,000 points in our Amtrak rewards account (well DH does).  We've taken the AT at least 8 times which would be more if it wasn't for cancellations we had to make.

I always look for palm trees as soon as it gets light out.  I love going to sleep (try anyway) in NC and waking up, usually in FL unless there's delays, which we've had.  Last trip we got to Sanford at 1130 am.  Of course, if you're awake, there's the curve in Jacksonville where you can see most of both ends of the train.  

But, we do love going out of Baltimore after a short drive.

Edited by BND

38 minutes ago, BND said:

We also have a Amtrak points cc and have a lot of points now that we haven't been able to use them.  We book Acela when we go to NJ and get a bedroom when we take the auto train.  I like having our own "room" and bathroom.  We did coach when we first started on the AT and moved to roomettes and now only do bedrooms.  We currently have at least 130,000 points in our Amtrak rewards account (well DH does).  We've taken the AT at least 8 times which would be more if it wasn't for cancellations we had to make.

I always look for palm trees as soon as it gets light out.  I love going to sleep (try anyway) in NC and waking up, usually in FL unless there's delays, which we've had.  Last trip we got to Sanford at 1130 am.  Of course, if you're awake, there's the curve in Jacksonville where you can see most of both ends of the train.  

But, we do love going out of Baltimore after a short drive.

Had to cancel the November AT for my B2B on the Edge.  Those freight trains can hold the AT up as freight has priority over passenger service.  I must admit to buying the priority offloading on both ends for the past several years. 

5 hours ago, JHU said:

I live in bucks County, PA and will definitely have to give that train ride a try someday soon.     Sounds nice.   I had a good friend who moved to key west and she used this same train to load up her car and some other belongings for a small fee.    she thought it was so much better than driving a u-haul by herself.  

On 8/18/2020 at 8:56 PM, djjoe said:

Nice picture, Joe and Barbara.  I made Pinnacle right after you in September.  But first I was on the ill fated 8/31 one day trip around the harbor with Captain Thor.  I believe that was the last Grandeur passenger trip for Captain Thor.  I made Pinnacle with Captain Patrik.

I am scheduled for the last two trips on Grandeur in March.  Truly hope we can all sail on her whether it is her finale or not.  I would certainly hope that Royal will let us know when decisions are made about Grandeur’s future.

Best wishes for all to stay healthy and may we all sail very soon.  Katherine

Edited by Lady Hudson