P&O Update

molecrochip

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yep, clocked those two. Dreadful. Great shame with Beth Rigby, as her political analysis is very good, but often lost due to her appalling pronunciation.  A third is Sadiq Khan. His complete inability to sound the letter ‘g’ has me reaching for the mute button every time. 😂 

I agree about Beth Rigby - grammar school girl, mother a headteacher, Cambridge First, a bit better than my pathetic academic achievements; diction clearly has nothing to do with education and intelligence. Hadn't particularly noticed Sadiq Khan. I will now!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I didn't think it was a retirement  rather a switch of roles for the moment.

Earlier in this thread, Molecrochip said that next year was going to be Arcadia's last World Cruise. I do know what you mean - in recent years Aurora and Arcadia have alternated between doing a World Cruise and some other long voyage.

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

a cruise forum, those who call ships boats and will insist on adding ‘the’ in front of every ship name 😡😉

Or cabins, rooms and decks, floors. My pet hate is pronouncing aitch as haitch as in Haitch D. You would have thought radio and tv announcers would speak correctly. 

Avril  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Or cabins, rooms and decks, floors. My pet hate is pronouncing aitch as haitch as in Haitch D. You would have thought radio and tv announcers would speak correctly. 

Avril  

I fortunately I am one of those who sometimes calls it a boat or a room or floors. I generally try to speak the lingo but sometimes the words get away from me and I can’t remember. I’m just glad I don’t type it’s the thingy on the what ya macall it or the wotsit or a dodar. All things I generally say when the words leave my head. 

I haven’t got a scooby what aitch or haitch is tho. That’s got me a bit stumped. 

Just got a bit excited cos it said a cruise ship was resuming msc? But said it’s not accepting British people 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

Earlier in this thread, Molecrochip said that next year was going to be Arcadia's last World Cruise. I do know what you mean - in recent years Aurora and Arcadia have alternated between doing a World Cruise and some other long voyage.

I think you will find that Arcadia has done the world cruise for the last three years. I believe its just a switch so that Aurora does a couple and Arcadia does a South America something followed by the March northern lights cruises.

People tend to choose their ship so it gives Arcadia fans some different itineraries and the same for Aurora fans.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Absolutely. Two of my closest friends love that show but I detest it! They persuaded me to watch it with them once. They almost had tears of laughter and I sat there stony-faced...

When I first met my wife's family at Christmas  they had the telly on with the volume down. The programme on was a silent Ronny Barker thing that I had seen before. To their horror I sat giggling like an idiot. Futtocks End still has me I'm fits. DW still went ahead and married me😂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zap99 said:

So, glad you enjoyed it. Lando is Lando Norris, He drives a car in F1 races for Mclaren. Lando lives in Woking , where we live and his car is made there. Mrs Brown is, I think a male Irish comedian, who dresses up as a Woman. I don't watch it as it's on BBC and a bit above my level of intelect.😂

There is no way ‘Mrs Brown’s boys’ is intellectual! I watched 5 minutes once and that was enough for me!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Apparently the hardest language to learn is English because we have words that have several meanings. Even spelled differently but sound the same.

Avril 

How about punctuation. I was happy when I read a book that said that you can write English using only a capital letter and a full stop. 😇

Apparently the hardest language to learn is English because we have words that have several meanings. Even spelled differently but sound the same.

Avril 

That is because they have to understand the raised eyebrows clue 🤔

• Like 1

Avril 

And yet (I know that's incorrect grammar) apart from their own language, English is by far the widest understood language in the world.

40 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

There is no way ‘Mrs Brown’s boys’ is intellectual! I watched 5 minutes once and that was enough for me!!

But there were some on here who bemoaned P&O dumbing down by catering to the Saturday night ITV audience, when the BBC puts out such puerile rubbish.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But there were some on here who bemoaned P&O dumbing down by catering to the Saturday night ITV audience, when the BBC puts out such puerile rubbish.

I am clearly a hypocrite. I rarely (if ever) find anything of interest on ITV on a Saturday night and I struggle with the current trend to turn people who are as thick as pigs excrement into multi-millionaire ‘celebrities’ (although I admire how the likes of Rylan Clark-Neil and Gemma Collins have been able to capitalise on this). On the other hand, I find Mrs Browns Boys to be very funny! 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

On the other hand, I find Mrs Browns Boys to be very funny! 😂

Oh, Selbourne,  how could you!

You're just about the last person that I would have thought would find Mrs B funny.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am clearly a hypocrite. I rarely (if ever) find anything of interest on ITV on a Saturday night and I struggle with the current trend to turn people who are as thick as pigs excrement into multi-millionaire ‘celebrities’ (although I admire how the likes of Rylan Clark-Neil and Gemma Collins have been able to capitalise on this). On the other hand, I find Mrs Browns Boys to be very funny! 😂

I sincerely hope that the lovely Mrs S retires to the drawing room to enjoy some embroidery or other worthy pastime whilst you watch it...😉😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Quite. My friend had a horrible ex husband who described ITV as ‘council house tv’ what a snob! I must admit I hardly ever watch any “live” tv on Saturday nights lately, at the moment I’m re-watching all the “Line of duty” series.

35 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I sincerely hope that the lovely Mrs S retires to the drawing room to enjoy some embroidery or other worthy pastime whilst you watch it...😉😄

She tolerates me to a point Andrew, but when I start to impersonate Mrs Browns laugh I get ‘that look’ 😂 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Quite. My friend had a horrible ex husband who described ITV as ‘council house tv’ what a snob! I must admit I hardly ever watch any “live” tv on Saturday nights lately, at the moment I’m re-watching all the “Line of duty” series.

We also only ever watch news and sport on live tv, the rest we record or download via box sets or catch up, and watch this most evenings.

We have just watched the first 2 episodes of line of duty series 1, and I seem to be grasping more of the plot now I know what's in store in future series.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We also only ever watch news and sport on live tv, the rest we record or download via box sets or catch up, and watch this most evenings.

We have just watched the first 2 episodes of line of duty series 1, and I seem to be grasping more of the plot now I know what's in store in future series.

We only started watching Line of Duty on series 4, so we are now watching from the beginning on BBC1 on Monday and Tuesday. As you say, it helps to make sense of what happens later, and also the characters aren’t using acronyms all the time, which makes it easier to follow. Plus, it’s a chance to look out for people who might be ‘H’. 

Apart from that, we watch quite a lot on Netflix. We are currently half way through Ozark, a money laundering/crime drama. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Same as dermotsgirl I started at series 4. I watched 1 and 2 last year but couldn’t find series 3. Now they’re all on iplayer I’ve just started series 3! (After re-watching  watching 1 & 2) So good!

Sorry for going off topic!

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We only watch certain things on TV.  Not much sport I'm afraid only speedway, whenever they decide to show it, ski jumping and athletics. We love any American  crime series and are presently going through reruns of Law and Order and SVU. Nat Geo is also a favourite. Definitely NO reality shows of any kind😝

Avril 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just to get back to the original subject (sort of) I see that Viking have taken a pragmatic view of the current situation, and cancelled all remaining 2020 cruises.

Yes I just read that too.

I think P&O might suspend again possibly December 12 and hope they might get some Xmas/New Year cruises in.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes I just read that too.

I think P&O might suspend again possibly December 12 and hope they might get some Xmas/New Year cruises in.

I'm able to relax a bit now as we've nothing booked until the end of June. If we're still in this situation come spring the worrying will  begin again. 😔

Avril 

• Like 3