P&O Update

molecrochip

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I would do a Round Britain cruise.

We agreed to go with my sister and her husband because I am a little doubtful about going ashore in some of the European countries at the moment but I feel happier about UK ports. As I said we enjoyed it last time and this one has 3 ports that we haven't visited.  I heard the comments last time about how we could do a car tour to visit the same places but we prefer to be on a ship rather than in a car.  The deal that we got was really good and we actually prefer Princess to P&O.  We are elite on Princess (earned without P&O cruises) because we only really started going regularly with P&O when David could no longer fly.

Edited by Josy1953
Predictive text grrrrr
  • Like 2

NCL mentioned in their earnings call that they don’t expect to be up and running til Q2 2021, and that it will take 6 months to get their fleet back into service. 

November isn’t going to be the date P&O start back up - they did the right thing to cancel the RTW as it would be unethical to take final (huge) payment for something they KNOW will not be able to take place. 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5516/

• Like 2

Darn I forgot it was Tuesday, they do love a Tuesday announcement. I just happened to look at Facebook and saw it. 
Personally no cruise booked for me now under September 2021 but obviously I’m keeping an eye on how things will go when they do re-start.Really really hope we’re back to normal by this time next year but who knows.

• Like 1

Well that’s number 4 cruise cancelled, just 1 in December and 1 in January that I expect will be also cancelled and probably my April one in Australia, so I’m looking forward to my June 2021  one hopefully things will be a bit better then .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I love the Round Britain Cruises. I did one on Artemis and one on Oriana, plus two with CMV. If the medium term future with P&O included more Round Britain cruises I would be very happy - but all the other uncertainties would have to be resolved before I made a booking 

Screenshot_20200801_214114_com.android.chrome.jpg

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Put it this way, they SHOULD refund to the original payment source, for anti money laundering purposes.

Quite right Dermotsgirl.

The general rule is this:

• Paid direct via card then refund via card.
  • Paid direct via bank transfer then refund via cheque.
  • Paid direct via cheque then refund via cheque.
  • Paid via TA into TA account then cheque
  • Paid via TA direct to P&O by card, then card.

Exception is where your refund has been escalated then you may be asked for bank details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ToxM said:

NCL mentioned in their earnings call that they don’t expect to be up and running til Q2 2021, and that it will take 6 months to get their fleet back into service. 

November isn’t going to be the date P&O start back up - they did the right thing to cancel the RTW as it would be unethical to take final (huge) payment for something they KNOW will not be able to take place. 

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5516/

Asked about the resumption of cruise, Del Rio stated that while the final two months of 2020 could see a limited return to operations, NCLH does not expect the majority of its fleet to re-enter service until the second quarter of 2021. The restart of the entire fleet would take approximately six months once the green-light is given

So I read it that they are hoping to start at end of 2020 and aim to be up and running by end of quarter 2, 2021.  That’s the six months. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We agreed to go with my sister and her husband because I am a little doubtful about going ashore in some of the European countries at the moment but I feel happier about UK ports. As I said we enjoyed it last time and this one has 3 ports that we haven't visited.  I heard the comments last time about how we could do a car tour to visit the same places but we prefer to be on a ship rather than in a car.  The deal that we got was really good and we actually prefer Princess to P&O.  We are elite on Princess (earned without P&O cruises) because we only really started going regularly with P&O when David could no longer fly.

One of our Princess Elite benefits is priority Tender which we used in Hawaii in November.

Hopefully a round Britain cruise would cause less uncertainty than going to Spain,France etc.

5 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Asked about the resumption of cruise, Del Rio stated that while the final two months of 2020 could see a limited return to operations, NCLH does not expect the majority of its fleet to re-enter service until the second quarter of 2021. The restart of the entire fleet would take approximately six months once the green-light is given

So I read it that they are hoping to start at end of 2020 and aim to be up and running by end of quarter 2, 2021.  That’s the six months. 

I can’t see P&O managing it, I would like to be wrong, but not sure I will be. 

A collection of thoughts from me based on this week's Tuesday trauma at Ten....

1) Tacit acknowledgement that FCC demand will/is getting soft and poor value for money to be had in some cases, ergo leave the 125% FCC the same, but with a new "bonus 5% discount" - see discussion/prediction of this on previous thread.

2) I retract my compliments to the person who was supposed to be learning to let someone else do the video!  3/10 - being kind.

3) Up to 60 day "guarantee" on refunds quietly dropped and no movement on the date to request a refund by.  Naughty.  This suggests, nothing more, that the policy around how current FCCs can be used against to be released 2022/23 cruises, will be subject to some change, possibly to the detriment of customers.

4) A risk of a few worthless unredeemed FCCs in the current climate, particularly for low value where the customer does not want to book another cruise and forgets to request a refund caused by these changes.

5) Movement on 90 days🤔... problem starts again for customers tomorrow.

6) Aurora and Arcadia Winter season?

Pretty poor effort all round, not impressed on transparency.😤

Until next Tuesday at 10....

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

A collection of thoughts from me based on this week's Tuesday trauma at Ten....

1) Tacit acknowledgement that FCC demand will/is getting soft and poor value for money to be had in some cases, ergo leave the 125% FCC the same, but with a new "bonus 5% discount" - see discussion/prediction of this on previous thread.

2) I retract my compliments to the person who was supposed to be learning to let someone else do the video!  3/10 - being kind.

3) Up to 60 day "guarantee" on refunds quietly dropped and no movement on the date to request a refund by.  Naughty.  This suggests, nothing more, that the policy around how current FCCs can be used against to be released 2022/23 cruises, will be subject to some change, possibly to the detriment of customers.

4) A risk of a few worthless unredeemed FCCs in the current climate, particularly for low value where the customer does not want to book another cruise and forgets to request a refund caused by these changes.

5) Movement on 90 days🤔... problem starts again for customers tomorrow.

6) Aurora and Arcadia Winter season?

Pretty poor effort all round, not impressed on transparency.😤

Until next Tuesday at 10....

I love the “Tuesday trauma” 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Once proper resumption is allowed, hopefully P&O will be able to get their entire fleet operating in less than 6 months - on the basis of their only having 6 ships as opposed to NCL's 17 (if they all survive) and NCLH's total of 28. 

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Quite right Dermotsgirl.

Exception is where your refund has been escalated then you may be asked for bank details.

Or if you are Cunard  pay for holiday by credit card then refund by cheque and credit card and then make it very difficult to refund over payment made by them. Sent cheque 2 months ago which they havent cashed and have ignored me at all levels. Come to the conclusion Carnival UK i.e. Cunard are P{&O are in a right mess and havent got a clue at what they are doing.

• Like 1

I suspect one of the key reasons for extending the “pause” is the situation in India where they get vast number of their hospitality staff from. A number of areas in India are in lockdown until 31 August and international travel is difficult, plus currently travellers from India would be required to quarantine for 14 days. 

Even if lockdown was lifted on 1 September I would have thought it unlikely that P&O could recruit, retrain crew in new procedures and health & safety in the remaining time before 15 October, adding another 4 weeks to the pause and hope that Travel from India becomes easier was probably their only option.

So I thought I had cancelled Arcadia in October and taken an FCC.  My TA tells me there is nothing showing.  So this morning I get the email from P&O saying the cruise is Cancelled and the option to take a refund.  So I have done that.  Let's see what happens now.  I thought it was strange that I could still log in to Cruise Personaliser!!  Presume if it had been cancelled I would not be able to log in.  However, I didn't pay the balance when it was due, so it will be interesting to see what they do.  I have only asked for the deposit obviously.

also, I booked on board the ship with a credit card so that should flummox them.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So I thought I had cancelled Arcadia in October and taken an FCC.  My TA tells me there is nothing showing.  So this morning I get the email from P&O saying the cruise is Cancelled and the option to take a refund.  So I have done that.  Let's see what happens now.  I thought it was strange that I could still log in to Cruise Personaliser!!  Presume if it had been cancelled I would not be able to log in.  However, I didn't pay the balance when it was due, so it will be interesting to see what they do.  I have only asked for the deposit obviously.

also, I booked on board the ship with a credit card so that should flummox them.

Oh blimey Jean, sounds a bit of a mess!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Quite right Dermotsgirl.

Maybe you should forward this to P&O this isn’t the script they’re using

• Like 3

10 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I just don't see them restarting Arcadia and Aurora for 3 or 4 cruises then parking them up through Jan, Feb and March.

They could sail them around the UK but its hardly the weather for it. So I can't imagine new cruises being released for early 2021 either.

If they do not sail until next April, how does that possibly affect their long term future?  I know you have previously mentioned you do not think any more P&O ships will go this year, but now looking at a possible full year lay up into next year.  We are booked on Aurora North American Eastern seaboard  September 2021 and getting worried, especially with the spread of the virus in the US.

Also, can I ask if there are still rumours around about Carnival possibly having an interest in the trade name and data base for CMV?

Thank you for the information given on this thread so far.

1 hour ago, tring said:

If they do not sail until next April, how does that possibly affect their long term future?  I know you have previously mentioned you do not think any more P&O ships will go this year, but now looking at a possible full year lay up into next year.  We are booked on Aurora North American Eastern seaboard  September 2021 and getting worried, especially with the spread of the virus in the US.

Also, can I ask if there are still rumours around about Carnival possibly having an interest in the trade name and data base for CMV?

I think you need to think Carnival,  not P&O. Also, forget about CMV . Carnival are fighting to survive,  and the last thing they will do is spend money.

Reading various brokers notes, and I am by no means an expert, bookings are increasingly soft. Yes, there are rebooking through FCC, but this is not "new " cash. Also, the latest quarterly results show, as might be expected, zero revenue from on board spend and excursions,  which normally contribute about 33% to Carnival's revenue, and probably  more than that in terms of profit generation.

Carnival  can probably just about survive until the end of 2021, thanks to borrowing billions of dollars at 10.5% +. 

The shares have junk status. 

In a nutshell, if cruising isn't going ahead by  the time you have to pay your deposit, hang on to your money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

There are many roles of the dice left before Carnival goes bust.

Everything  on CMV has gone quiet.

• Thanks 1