The Daily for Tuesday Sep 15, 2020

richwmn

today is Greenpeace Day and Make a Hat Day Felt Hat Day

If you are a fatalist, what can you do about it?
        -- Ann Edwards-Duff

Lord, defend me from my friends; I can account for my enemies.
        -- Charles D'Hericault

Meal suggestion for today - Avocado Crab Boats

Drink of the Day - Midori Colada

Wine of the day - Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano vintage 2016

Fuerte Amador Panama
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Gibraltar
Westerdam

Limassol Cyprus
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Rosyth GB
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Amsterdam
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Zaandam

Sint Eustatius Anchorage
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

Aigio Greece
Maasdam -- Ship name as reported by AIS: AEGEAN MYTH

Katakolo
Veendam -- Ship name as reported by AIS: AEGEAN MAJESTY

0915World.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Rich, Roy when he posts, and daily-ites.  The quote is so true in these trying times.  I'll pass on the days and menu.

Midori Colada:

INGREDIENTS

2 ounces Midori melon liqueur
  • In a blender, combine ingredients (except cherry) with ice until well blended.
  • Pour into tall glass and garnish with cherry.
  • Insert straw and sip.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank God for Greenpeace.  I'm not big on hats and don't eat seafood so I'll pass pn the meal selection.  2 great quotes today.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Sososailor

Smoke for Victoriann AndiLand, and her in-laws

Himself’s left arm

The Gulf Coast

Bermuda

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front line health workers

Welcome home Cruising along

Himself healing

Paralympics

and backyard swimming pools

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

With all the climate change problems, Greenpeace day is most appropriate.

Love the quotes.

Yum on the avocado crab boats.  If I could, I would 😉

I’ll wait for Cat to tell us about the wine.

Well, I have one bounty of chili peppers

2FCEED3A-4683-4D78-9BA5-D9820F01669D.thumb.jpeg.5ee18d3857723bf7b3d47313651ea65c.jpeg

F15037AC-6FA7-499C-946D-DBEE8D03B8F4.thumb.jpeg.b39d872a266aa68fcec4de8cb141f0f7.jpeg

Looks like I will have to protect them tonight with our frost warning - YIKES

D60AE3B5-7019-49FE-A4FC-6BFCC0A95A7F.thumb.jpeg.59c66582c98f0b4957538becbc1efc47.jpeg

Fall is on the way with the Black Cohosh now starting to bloom.  This is a giant plant and while mine is protected in the fenced area, the deer leave it alone (for any of you fighting them).  It’s also called snakeroot, bugbane cohosh, etc.

2BF562CE-6DD9-4B65-9430-D043E16C2EFA.thumb.jpeg.812f39f5692296e6b9b63533cdf957cf.jpeg

4C396661-7609-4627-B7C3-637991BDFC01.thumb.jpeg.4a4385207bd2b9544d7086da39d7ff1f.jpeg

And finally this dahlia is coming out.

CB715E0B-D3E1-488D-8728-9E4DC843724E.thumb.jpeg.860395b9c6473b381aded6f7ff064f37.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and a toast to celebrate those on his shout out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Top 12 Funniest Hamster Jokes | Furry Wizard

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. The only hat I ever made was from a newspaper. Felt hats are a process!

I love avocado and crab boats! We just had crab, but I'll add it to my list.

Hi sisters Ann and Denise. I think the wine is going to be red today.. (Love you girls!)

Thank you for the prayer and celebration list Roy. Did you get your flu shot yesterday?

So Claudio put the fence pet wire up yesterday afternoon. I left a "Test" feeder up last night and viola! No incidents! I will do a few more tests before I leave all the feeders out again. It is still dark out, but the birds are at the feeders already and singing away. 

Everyone have a safe day. I am praying for all the kids going back to school. Just seems so scary to me!

• Like 14

My first ever night at sea was on the Matanuska, an Alaska ferry.  My first cruise in the traditional sense was on the Carnival Fantasy, and I hadn't really planned to return.  In 2014 I joined my brother at a reunion of his submarine crew in Charleston and the Fantasy was sailing from there so I made a last minute decision to visit that ship.  one more time.  On September 15 the sun rose as we approached Freeport:

dawn0916.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists. Did

Linda ask to be taken off? Even though she checked in as safe, her home is still in danger. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, glad you are winning your critter battle. @kazu - Jacqui, what a pepper harvest! Do you usually have that many?

We should support Greenpeace’s goals everyday. Not a hat person - I have a big head (literally) and lots of hair, so it is difficult to find one to fit me. The meal sounds interesting. The drink of the day sounds pretty.  Love both quotes. 

Prayers to all who need our support.

Cheers to all we are celebrating. 

Stay well everyone!

This Tuscan red has very good ratings for this and subsequent vintages, and a decent price around $35. It has a “firm grip”. If I ever wanted to go back to work, I would like to be the one to come up with wine descriptors. 

#54 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

To the Prugnolo Gentile grapes, which characterize the district of Montepulciano, we dedicate the most careful care to express all the potential of a territory with a recognized wine vocation. The result is our Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, structured, long-lived with intense aromas that faithfully represents its Tuscan origins and the ancient link between earth, man and culture.

Blend: 85% Prugnolo Gentile, 15% Colorino, Canaiolo and Merlot

WS92
Wine Spectator
Bright black cherry, plum, earth, vanilla and toasty oak flavors are the hallmarks of this well-crafted red. Balanced, this needs a year or two to integrate more fully and extend the finish. Firm grip. Sangiovese, Colorino, Canaiolo and Merlot. Best from 2021 through 2033.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, what a pepper harvest! Do you usually have that many?

No, I usually only have 6 plants.  More of the seeds took though, so I planted them all as sometimes some don’t produce.  Not this time - LOL.  Plenty of chilies for DH. 😉 

I might have to dry some.  I am leaving a couple on so they really ripen to try to use the seeds for next year as DH says these are the best chilies I’ve ever produced.

• Like 6

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Interestingly enough, the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was that I'm going to have to teach our grandsons how to make a pirate hat from a folded newspaper - and look what day it is! 

The menu suggestion makes me think creatively, because we don't care for avocado; years ago we used to have a restaurant that made a great asparagus and crab dish that was scrumptious.  I might have to google it to see if I can put it together for dinner, for old time's sake.  And wine.  Speaking of wine, I love the term "firm grip" - the terms some people use to describe wines just slays me.  LOL

Prayers for everyone who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers and raising the glass to the celebration list!  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a chilly morning, temp was down to 46, coolest since beginning of June. 
I think we’re having fried green tomatoes for dinner , nor sure what to make with them 

Thinking about all in the path of Sally , especially @aliaschief. Stay safe all.

Blessings and prayers to all our lists.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, richarduk said:

I'm currently in Gibraltar and Westerdam has gone. Maybe it's just moved to a different anchorage, or where is it going to? 

It's still at Gibraltar in a different anchorage:

Capture.JPG.d6f30ba07b72ae7d8fc9189d41c4f831.JPG

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a chilly morning, temp was down to 46, coolest since beginning of June. 
I think we’re having fried green tomatoes for dinner , nor sure what to make with them 

Thinking about all in the path of Sally , especially @aliaschief. Stay safe all.

Blessings and prayers to all our lists.

We are doing fine thank you. Just a lot of rain and more to come.

18 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update Rich.

Midori Colada... sounds yummy!! Very much a Caribbean cruise drink. Thanks @summer slope for the recipe.

We are in cider time here as the temps are settling into that late summer and early fall range. I order a couple cases of Jack's Cider from Pennsylvania, wish someone carried it here but no. Apple, pear, peach are all good. I love the very natural unartificial flavor of their cider. We will probably have one more last 90's hurrah for summer but when the evening temps get into the 50's and 60's its cider time... well and dh pulls out the Calvados. 

All quiet here. Got to go back to church as a family this past Sunday. Very happy about that. 

Saw this story on BBC and thought of the Dailyites. Too cute. I resemble the "Covid hair" one by this point. https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-54118899

• Like 10

Thanks for the Daily! I don't wear hats....even in the summer, it's a rare day when I do. Iove the quotes. I'm not sure what is for dinner, but I don't have the ingredients for the suggested menu. I can't do the drink of the day because I can't stand melon of any sort-except watermelon.

Thanks again for the Care list, Roy. Prayers for those who need it and a toast for the celebrations. And for the photographers, thank you for all those pictures!

It's a chilly morning here in southwest Ontario, but the afternoon should be delightful. It's amazing, though, how quickly it will cool down again this evening. It's getting darker earlier in the evening, too, now. Fall is definitely in the air. Time for me to get my fall porch mums and pumpkins. 

The guys were here and closed the pool. They had it done in about a half hour. So much faster than when DH would close it! Well worth the $$$ to have it done.

Have a wonderful day! Blessings to all. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear your mask.

• Like 7

Good morning all, and thank you, Rich and Roy, for the Daily news.  

We had a little rain yesterday afternoon, and I thought things might clear up, but the smoke is very heavy this morning, I can't see far.  Schools have been closed, and mail delivery service has been suspended to protect the health of the postal workers.  I've never seen that happen before.  It is really dreadful - I can't imagine how the people in the midst of all this inferno in the US are managing!

We have appointments this morning, after church, to get our eyes checked (I definitely need new glasses!), I hope my stinging eyes don't make it hard to figure out my new prescription!

• Like 8

Avocados and crab.... two of my favorite things. Just don't have them handy just now.

Mornings are cool here and I need to reset the timer on the outside lights. It is getting dark way too fast.  I need to see where I am taking the dogs on that final outside walk in the evening.

I am in the process of clearing out my second bedroom. May have company coming in from Oregon in the next few days. Wish I room to take in more. I know how scary those fires are. And that smoke is terrible.

Susan

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kazu said:

No, I usually only have 6 plants.  More of the seeds took though, so I planted them all as sometimes some don’t produce.  Not this time - LOL.  Plenty of chilies for DH. 😉 

I might have to dry some.  I am leaving a couple on so they really ripen to try to use the seeds for next year as DH says these are the best chilies I’ve ever produced.

Something good has to happen this year! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My first ever night at sea was on the Matanuska, an Alaska ferry.  My first cruise in the traditional sense was on the Carnival Fantasy, and I hadn't really planned to return.  In 2014 I joined my brother at a reunion of his submarine crew in Charleston and the Fantasy was sailing from there so I made a last minute decision to visit that ship.  one more time.  On September 15 the sun rose as we approached Freeport:

dawn0916.jpg

Roy

My first picture this am with my coffee!!

Thanks so much 🌺Roy for a beautiful sunrise pic!! Woke up to some sunshine BUT over the water it is all haze still not clear from the on going fires. We have the onshore breeze but it still is not clear. Our sunsets are all haze. I read here on CC that CCL will be removing more ships! Someone said they think Volendam and Zaandam will be next! Geese after 4 tries I Hope Volendam will be spared  as well as Zaandam! Have another attempt after 4 cancellations on Volendam 1/22!

Thanks for our Prayer list and Celebrations! 
Denise😊

• Like 6

Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for the Care list and Celebration list Roy. 

I only wear a ball cap sometimes and my favorite one is a gray HAL one. I would love to have the crab in avocado!  I love crab but can’t good crab here except sometimes at the meat counter. Trader Joe’s used to carry a really good quality canned crab. Wish they still did. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 6