The Daily for Saturday Sep 26, 2020

richwmn

today is Family Health and Fitness Day, National Singles Day, and Johnny Appleseed Day  

Your conscience never stops you from doing anything.  It just stops you from enjoying it.

Meal suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder

Drink of the Day - Mai Tai

Wine of the day - Merlin Mâcon-La Roche Vineuse vintage 2016

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Puntarenas
Koningsdam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

0926World.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I have a breakfast meeting and must run but here are the lists:

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

fatcat04's DH dealing with vertigo

Uninvited deer

Dismomx5's Grandson

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome Ichiban Nekko

Occasional posters including

Front line health workers

Mask makers

Spring in New Zealand

Rain in areas where needed

Farmers Markets

A great birthday dinner for fatcat04

And a celebration cruise booked by Vmax1700.

I checked the Hurricane Zone and see nothing about Teddy so I'm hopefully the Maritimes were not too hard hit.  Any Canadians have a report?

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Health and Fitness is something we all need in theses times every day 🙂 Nice that there is a day for singles!

That quote on our consciences had me laughing.  So true.

I think I will pass on the pork, thanks.  I took a roast out of the freezer yesterday but it’s not pork 😉 

DH was a happy camper last night with a Mexican shrimp dish and some salsa Mexicana Fresca.  I’m still picking peppers and had lots of tomatoes and decided to put them to use.  I made the mistake of test tasting it 😱 HOT, HOT, HOT.  He loved it.  I suffered for 15 minutes 😉 

623BBE5B-72B5-4CE2-9DA8-6EDCDF7F8849.thumb.jpeg.8f8ec405bfd012da872873aec39bb18f.jpeg

I snapped a few pics of the dahlias before Teddy afraid there would be nothing left.  Still moving them out and we should finish today but here are pre-Teddy pics:

56F69D79-8E40-4740-8A57-6313BA3B6D95.thumb.jpeg.7bd1ec016c21c2d4af888c3b2dce138e.jpeg

32829B4D-1892-4683-ADFD-ECE81CB3133E.thumb.jpeg.010aeac5797ffa8aac68f230dc806d92.jpeg

BA6885E1-3233-4888-B3E8-E4C63427BEBB.thumb.jpeg.58b2532c8075d5b3e0d56eab2032040d.jpeg

CA25099D-E081-46ED-ACA0-5F35495D5F9A.thumb.jpeg.f3c478299205c11154c9927c6a02c5db.jpeg

A73B4889-8AF1-4976-B2A7-92863F6BB067.thumb.jpeg.d4f9ff7e7a57cd13e950c034f6e4b48c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and a toast to all of those on the Celebration list.

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Hope all are well! 

Now this is a great mix of days! I will toast to all of them tonight. Great quote. Tonight is Italian night at a friends, so I will pass on the meal suggestion. 

Prayers for all who need our support.

Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This highly rated Chardonnay from the French Burgundy region has a decent price $21 - if you can find it. Otherwise the shipping might cost more than the wine. Too bad, because it sounds lovely.

#61 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

Beautiful pale gold in color, this wine offers aromas of exotic fruits. On the palate, the minerality of the wine's terroir is fully expressed, with good balance between alcohol and acidity. A refreshing wine to be drunk young.

WS92 Wine Spectator

Complex, exhibiting saline and mineral elements, along with white peach, apple and spice flavors. Beautifully balanced and focused, remaining intense and long on the juicy finish. Drink now through 2024.
  • Like 13

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I checked the Hurricane Zone and see nothing about Teddy so I'm hopefully the Maritimes were not too hard hit.  Any Canadians have a report?

Teddy is gone, Roy, thankfully.

While a lot of people lost power, there was not as much infrastructure damage In Halifax and Nova Scotia as had been feared.  I think a lot of work had been done on trees, etc. To help prevent some of the issues from Dorian.  People also were well prepared which always helps.

Newfoundland had bad storm surge but got through ok from what I heard so far.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.

Thanks for the Daily Report.  I love that so many contribute to this happy meeting place.

Love the meal and drink of the day suggestions.

Thanks for the wine description.

Your flowers are lovely @kazu, glad that Teddy wasn't too terrible.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List and a toast to all those celebrating.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 9

Singles Day? I can't imagine being single after all the year's with my sweet husband.

Good morning Rich. Thanks for the Daily. I love an icy cold Mai Tai, and tonight is seasoned pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, baked sweet potato and a salad with Farmer's Market greens.

Good morning Dailyites and my sisters Ann and Denise. I hope all is going well with your remodel Denise. Ann I wrote down the wine, I think it is something I would enjoy. 

Thanks Roy for the post, even though you had to run along. Thanks for the care of the deer. They were not around that I know of.

Jacqui those flowers are so beautiful. If we can ever get into Canada, I am renting a room at your house and sleeping in your garden! 🥰

So my next project is to finish putting linseed oil on the new porch rockers and table. They are eucalyptus wood and will have a lot of good years with a swipe of oil a few times a year.  

Everyone have a great weekend. We are expecting beautiful sunny days. Hoping Farmer's Market has the beautiful juicy tomatoes for our salad tonight. Love, blessings and prayer's to you. Oh, here's my cartoon of the day on singles:

Thank you for all the singles jokes... - C'est La Vie Dating Agency |  Facebook

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Good morning.  I hope everyone has a great Saturday.  Loved Johnny Appleseed day when I was teaching.  We would plant an apple tree at the school.  Good day for singles.  The meal is one of my favorites.

Mai Tai:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz Orange curaçao, 1/2 oz Orgeat syrup, 3/4 oz Dark rum
Preparation: Shake all ingredients except the dark rum together in a mixer with ice. Strain into glass and float the dark rum onto the top. Garnish and serve with straw.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Standard garnish: Lime peel, Pineapple spear
Drinkware: Highball glass

Prayers for those that need them and those that don't know they do.  Congratulations to everyone on our lists.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Florida opened up everything today, I pray our numbers don't spike.
  • Like 12

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It's always nice seeing families out walking together - maintaining physical and mental health.  I can't imagine being a young single in these times, can you?  Conscience - for me, it's that teeny little voice that says "Go ahead, what could possibly go wrong?"

Great meal suggestion today, but DH is intent on getting the most out of our bbq before it turns cold, so we'll be grilling garlic sausage and vegetables for our dinner this evening.  And wine.

@kazu   your dahlias are SO beautiful; you must spend a lot of time planting and removing every year - I can't begin to imagine!

Prayers for everyone on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  Stay safe, be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

Good Morning all!

Rich - The cocktail, meal and wine outlined in the Daily sound terrific. However, these two empty nesters must return to Ina's Beef Bourgignon leftovers (and half of the recipe is already in the freezer!). Additional wine research from CatS so appreciated.

Ray - Thanks for taking the time for Cares & Celebrations before your other commitment. And your welcome is so appreciated.

summer slope - the Mai Tai recipe (virtually) transports me to the bar at the Royal Hawaiian  🌴.  A welcome change from our grey & gloomy morning.

Jacqui - your garden is glorious and you are so generous to make that spicy dish for Jose. Looks delish!

Seasick Sailor - the cartoon provides much needed levity.

A quick jaunt to the farmers market accomplished. The offerings are all so appealing. Now, I have to figure out how to best use the glorious veggies now residing in the fridge. Such a first world problem.

Best wishes to all,

-Cat

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

your dahlias are SO beautiful; you must spend a lot of time planting and removing every year - I can't begin to imagine

Thanks, kindly.  It does take time to remove them and get them dry, but it’s a habit & a part of my fall clean up now.  I love planting them - hate removing them 😉 

• Like 6

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  A salute to Family Health and Fitness, Thank you to Johnny Appleseed, and a Toast to National Fitness Day.  I love the quote, and am glad the Maritines fared relatively well.

Today's alternate meal suggestion is Strawberry Bisque, Boston Lager Flat Iron Steak, and Pineapple Crisp which I enjoyed on the Oosterdam 3 years ago today.

Roy

• Like 8

Thank you Rich and Roy and everyone for our positive space here.

Johnny Appleseed Day. Goodness, I remember being fascinated by his story when I was a kid. As an adult and a great fan of cider, I think this observation from his wiki page is interesting. 

Author Michael Pollan believes that since Chapman was against grafting, his apples were not of an edible variety and could be used only for cider: "Really, what Johnny Appleseed was doing and the reason he was welcome in every cabin in Ohio and Indiana was he was bringing the gift of alcohol to the frontier. He was our American Dionysus."

Who wouldn't be tickled to see Johnny?!

Slow cooker pork is a fav around here. I usually add either a jar of salsa verde and have tacos or some Berbere spice, veggies, and cous cous. 

Tonight is German night. Jaeger Schnitzel und bier!

Jacqui, your dahlias are gorgeous. Such color, variety, and size! What a joy to see them. Thank you for sharing. 

My bearded iris that rebloom are giving me their last hurrah of the year. I have a shipment of new iris coming and one already here waiting to go in new beds. Adding a whole new space with some new varieties. It's work but the temps are nice now and the ground is soft plus thankfully with iris the digging is shallow. Come spring the show of green and color make it all worth it. 

Yesterday's lunch with dh and dd was so nice. We haven't done that since pre-Covid. I had cranberry walnut blue cheese salad with some fried chicken on top and a cranberry citrus vinaigrette. I had a lovely little Pinot Grigio but probably should have gone with a red but red wine for lunch and it's nap time for me. 

I hope everyone has a lovely and safe day!!

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's alternate meal suggestion is Strawberry Bisque, Boston Lager Flat Iron Steak, and Pineapple Crisp which I enjoyed on the Oosterdam 3 years ago today.

You had me at Strawberry Bisque.  I loved HAL's cold fruit soups - it was like starting dinner with dessert every evening.  Sure miss them.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11

I want to reiterate my thanks for this wonderful Daily.  It’s great to get a feel for personalities of people I hope to meet (and some I have met) on cruises in the future.

The pictures are great (except @Seasick Sailor that SPIDER); the at sea pictures, ooooh and the cruise menu items, take me back to where I hope to be again someday.  Masks, social distancing, whatever - just put me on a ship.

A special thanks for those of you who add to your comment on the prayers “for those of you who don’t think you need them”.  I always put that in my heart as being for me.  Work is a horrific struggle right now, I am so burned out, and I appreciate the support you don’t know you give me.  I’m hoping for a mid-2021 retirement, but if I have many more weeks like the last two, I’m throwing in the towel.

Anyhow, a huge shout-out to all of you!

Safe and happy weekend, and may we all be planning the next adventure!

• Like 17

Good morning, dear people.  All the good cheer is a welcome way to start the day!  Prayers and shout-outs for all on Roy's list.

I love seeing Jacqui's dahlias, and we have tried planting those, but our weather is so hot that we were not successful.  Our patio is inside a brick-walled courtyard and I think it is even hotter there, so we stick with low-maintenance plants and we have added some glass sculptures to bring color.  The artist is a Seattle-based young man, but he comes to North Carolina for various art studio tours, and we started collecting his pieces several years ago.

We had shredded pork last night, even though we could have it over and over and not get bored.  Sometimes we have it with spicy schug sauce that we started making after having it at a Mediterranean restaurant.  It is different from salsa verde and equally as good.

Stay safe and kind everyone.

Cindy

Courtyard Glass.jpg

• Like 16

Good morning on a glorious Saturday here in the south of Ontario.  Yesterday was National Daughter's Day and we are lucky to have a strong beautiful daughter to celebrate.  I think I had better read up on Johnny and his claim to fame.  Loving all the pictures being posted, we will have to remember them when the cold north winds blow and the snow needs shovelling!  Here is my picture contribution today.  The photos are not mine, I have a dear friend who lives near Algonquin Park in our near North.  She gave me permission to share with you.  

FCF30701-C7EB-4235-8704-25EB44635819.jpeg

B8E30496-029F-4F98-AD53-6C5CB705D0B3.jpeg

E4538986-E93B-4E15-AC7F-6771EBCE486D.jpeg

076E986A-7FCB-4B88-80EA-3600914114A3.jpeg

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 20