Cruise Buffets Article (dated Oct 7, 2020)

mouche

20 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Interesting.....Royal and NCL are further along in planning or Carnival just isn't saying much

It may be a problem. It may also be they are tired of releasing plans that don't get the opportunity to come to fruition.

Either way, the buffet was never going to go away. Everyone can debate all day on how the food is transferred to the plate. At the end of the day, it's the same outcome.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It may be a problem. It may also be they are tired of releasing plans that don't get the opportunity to come to fruition.

Either way, the buffet was never going to go away. Everyone can debate all day on how the food is transferred to the plate. At the end of the day, it's the same outcome.

I don't go to the buffet very often but  if I did i think I would be more comfortable having my food served to me by the crew. 👍

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I don't go to the buffet very often but  if I did i think I would be more comfortable having my food served to me by the crew. 👍

Same here.  I stopped going to buffets on land and at sea due to seeing too many people licking their fingers after/before touching the serving spoons.  As well as coughing/sneezing in their hands then grabbing.  I can dig this move.

• Like 2

Works well at the Land Based Buffet restaurants we have here since they have reopened so i dont see why it wouldnt work for the cruise lines.  Have been a couple times and have no issues with pointing and telling the server what i want.  usually helps on the portioning too lol as MY eyes have always been bigger than my stomach at the buffet line.  Servers eyes seem to align better with my stomach size hahahaha.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I would be willing to bet that being served will cut down on waste.

How so.. people are pretty thick skinned, they simply ask to pile it on, LOL

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I could see it going both ways. I've had times where someone is serving me like at the BBQ place and they give me more than I wanted.

• Like 3

I have jokingly posted over the years about the Carnival buffet getting replaced by MickeyD's.  Perhaps this idea isn't so insane anymore.

{BTW, I am not a fan of fast food, I had my last Big Mac back in 1967 as a junior in high school.}

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I could see it going both ways. I've had times where someone is serving me like at the BBQ place and they give me more than I wanted.

I'm in the same boat. My favorite part of going to a buffet is to try just one or two bites of many different items. I would never want a full serving. I'm sure it won't be a big deal to just ask for tiny portions though.

9 hours ago, Rollin Tide said:

Same here.  I stopped going to buffets on land and at sea due to seeing too many people licking their fingers after/before touching the serving spoons.  As well as coughing/sneezing in their hands then grabbing.  I can dig this move.

It’s been a few years since I ate something that was self service on the buffet. I’ll do cake or an omelet. Anyway...on Panorama early one morning I was hungry and considering the continental breakfast to hold me over until brunch. That ended as soon as I saw a kid sneeze into his hand then grab the tongs.

• Like 1

My wife and I have ate at the buffet maybe a half-dozen times in 35 cruises so this is one area that won’t impact us no matter what they decide to do. We have been to a couple of restaurants locally with salad bars that were still self serve, with the requirement that you had to wear a mask and plastic gloves (provided by the restaurant). It worked well as far as we could tell. 

• Like 1

What caught my eye about this article was this sentence "We’re going to have food and beverage team members at exits and entrances making sure that we don’t exceed that 50%,"  

Pretty much every cruise I have been on tries to "herd" people to the buffet.  Guess that will have to change.  

18 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I don't know about that. When we have had the food served at the buffet, my DW has always had more of each ingredient served than she would have taken herself.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I don't know about that. When we have had the food served at the buffet, my DW has always had more of each ingredient served than she would have taken herself.

You can always say "just a 1/2 portion, please" or something similar. 

• Like 1