The Daily for Friday Oct 16, 2020

richwmn

13 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Having grown up in The Netherlands I am just making an educated guess that the weather conditions along the Western coast of Holland are not a good location for any of these cruise ships  in the fall . You might see there are no cruise ships left there at all and that they are all hiding in different bays off the Southern coast of Great Britain near Torbay , Weymouth and Bournemouth . 

Stormwinds from the West can be incredibly strong in the winter and fall in the North Sea .

Let's see if  @ Copper 10-8   agrees .........???? 

Thanks for that, Tony - I had thought it might be for the fish and chips!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Good morning, all, and thank you to Rich and Roy for the Daily news.

Is it Global Cats or Global Day?

Cats definitely are global - I love  cats, unfortunately my children are all allergic to them.  I tend to take pictures..

In Marrakech, Morocco

P1090260.thumb.jpeg.50aa3ebdc9375a9cceb318a6ec9f883c.jpeg

Sidi Bou Said, Tunisia

P1000780.jpeg.972bdd234209f7834da6a94ec728ff6c.jpeg

Kotor, Montenegro

IMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.c175457c2dea0e0441c120abd53baa93.jpeg

In St. Maarten

P1070337.thumb.jpeg.432becca7adc2f595c8ab0d0ef0fe112.jpeg

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich. And I always enjoy Roy's lists, especially the news items that I miss. I don't drink and I can give most of the food a miss.

Love the pictures and reading about other peoples' work and fun. And the reminders of places I have cruised to in the past.

Thank you, all.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@ger_77

cream of sardine soup?? OMG😵

That's why I said Lots of wine . . .

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Great selection of days. The meal sounds delicious. @ger_77- cream of sardine soup? Please pass the wine.  Joy, sorry about your wind damage. 

I'm not sure which was worse, the cream of sardine soup or the sherried beans . . . they weren't green beans, they were the canned baked beans.  I almost get the dry heaves just thinking about them.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thanks just everyone!   NO to sardine soup,  🤢🥴

so had had my flu shot , yesterday.  Has anyone else done the high dose?  

In Sask., we've been told the high dose was only given to people in care homes who were at higher risk than the rest of us.  We go for our low dose on Wednesday next week.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

Good morning all!

@bennybear I always get the high dosage flu shot too, this year I had no ill effects other than a sore arm for a few days.  And I'm one who almost always feels sick for at least 24 hours after my shot.

Loving all the cat photos!!  I'm a self-confessed cat nut and I also take photos of them in every port.  I really need to put all those photos into a "cats of the world" folder lol.

I had cats all my life, as far back as I can remember, until we lost our last kitty in 2011.  She was 17, all-indoor, and thought I was her Mama because I raised her with a kitten bottle from the age of 1 week (she was abandoned).  After she died, we retired and traveled extensively so haven't had any pets since.  I do love all the neighborhood cats and my 2 grandkitties though.  🙂  Here's Suhy when she was quite young.

Suhy.jpg

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

That's why I said Lots of wine . . .

I'm not sure which was worse, the cream of sardine soup or the sherried beans . . . they weren't green beans, they were the canned baked beans.  I almost get the dry heaves just thinking about them.

In Sask., we've been told the high dose was only given to people in care homes who were at higher risk than the rest of us.  We go for our low dose on Wednesday next week.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Somewhat similar here, Gerry.

It’s going to the Special Care homes, retirement homes, etc free of charge.

We can get it for a significant cost if we need it but our pharmacist explained that based on our health it wasn’t needed.  It’s geared for those with health issues and immunity challenges.  Thankfully, we don’t meet the qualifications 😉 

• Like 6

I live in Torquay where New Statendam joined Westerdam, Zaandam and Volendam this morning. Torbay is very sheltered from all winds except the south east. The prevailing winds are southwest so the ships can sit in comparatively calm water even if it is blowing a gale. It is an overnight sail to Southampton for storing. Zaandam and Volendam are closest in - Zaandam is about a half a mile from the shore, Volendam is a little further out then Westerdam then New Statendam. They are a magnificent if unusual sight.

In the next bay are Queen Mary 2, Azura and Ventura.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Mickb said:

I live in Torquay where New Statendam joined Westerdam, Zaandam and Volendam this morning. Torbay is very sheltered from all winds except the south east. The prevailing winds are southwest so the ships can sit in comparatively calm water even if it is blowing a gale. It is an overnight sail to Southampton for storing. Zaandam and Volendam are closest in - Zaandam is about a half a mile from the shore, Volendam is a little further out then Westerdam then New Statendam. They are a magnificent if unusual sight.

Thanks for the information.

• Like 1

Good afternoon all.  I was here earlier reading the posts and forgot to post.  We have always had a cat or two, but once we retired and started travelling we decided, no more feline friends.   We get our rubs in when we visit our DD.  Here are Vader and Chai Latte

i will save the menu suggestion for another day.  Thanks as always for Rich and Roy’s lists and to others who continue posting to make the thread one of the best on CC.  

EA67C45D-AD4F-4630-8549-E2E03D801CED.jpeg

6075F877-D4E6-40DB-BA6F-5D9B7B328E16.jpeg

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Mickb said:

Thank you and welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 3

1 minute ago, highscar said:

In ontario seniors have to get the flue shot from a family  doctor vs the drug store. . This came into effect two years ago. I got mine 2 days ago and no sore arm. 

Regular or high dos?.  One time a few years ago I was offered a flu shot by my doctor and declined because they only had the regular one, and got it a bit later at the pharmacy.

Roy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mickb said:

Thank you very much for letting us know about your surroundings , I think in a way it also confirms the point I was trying to make  why the 4 HAL ships are there instead of off the Dutch coast with a chance that they are driven onto the beach in a fall storm .

Tony 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Himself said:

Rich:  Thank you for the morning Fleet report.  I wonder why HAL has moved the sgips from the Netherlands to old mother England?  I am sure Copper 10/8 will have an answer-probably "inside information."

Roy, thank you for your prayer list .  Thanks to all who have given information to this great thread. 

Hi Father; they have to "move" the ships periodically in order to get the engines and other systems out of the "rut" of being anchored for extended periods of time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Regular or high dos?.  One time a few years ago I was offered a flu shot by my doctor and declined because they only had the regular one, and got it a bit later at the pharmacy.

Roy

High dose. Seems it’s in reverse. Here and there.   At least we got it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Father; they have to "move" the ships periodically in order to get the engines and other systems out of the "rut" of being anchored for extended periods of time

Hi, Copper! 😁  Is there any word on what is happening with all the Captains?  Do you know who is in command on the ships now, and how they will be assigned later on?

• Like 2

We had the high dose flu shot, and our pharmacy recommended it for 65 and older people.  They kept running out of it because all the seniors rushed in to get it.  I had no side effects afterwards, which is unusual because I usually react to everything.  The shingles shots both did a number on me, but that might mean it is really working!  

• Like 7