The Daily for Friday Oct 16, 2020

richwmn

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Hi, Copper! 😁  Is there any word on what is happening with all the Captains?  Do you know who is in command on the ships now, and how they will be assigned later on?

Hi Ann! 😁 No, Ma'am; that schedule is pretty much in disarray (eight captains "lost" their ships) until things return to normal. You and Pat take care and stay safe on your always beautiful big island

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mickb said:

I live in Torquay where New Statendam joined Westerdam, Zaandam and Volendam this morning. Torbay is very sheltered from all winds except the south east. The prevailing winds are southwest so the ships can sit in comparatively calm water even if it is blowing a gale. It is an overnight sail to Southampton for storing. Zaandam and Volendam are closest in - Zaandam is about a half a mile from the shore, Volendam is a little further out then Westerdam then New Statendam. They are a magnificent if unusual sight.

In the next bay are Queen Mary 2, Azura and Ventura.

Welcome to posting at the Daily. I bet your view is amazing! 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

We had the high dose flu shot, and our pharmacy recommended it for 65 and older people.  They kept running out of it because all the seniors rushed in to get it.  I had no side effects afterwards, which is unusual because I usually react to everything.  The shingles shots both did a number on me, but that might mean it is really working!  

Ditto on all counts.  I didn't have to ask for the high dose, it was just a given.

Mine is covered by Tricare (retired military) maybe Medicare covers it too, not sure. Yes, that shingles shot is a doozy, especially the second one!!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ditto on all counts.  I didn't have to ask for the high dose, it was just a given.

Mine is covered by Tricare (retired military) maybe Medicare covers it too, not sure. Yes, that shingles shot is a doozy, especially the second one!!

Yes, Medicare covers high dose. We also have Tricare for Life. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Ann! 😁 No, Ma'am; that schedule is pretty much in disarray (eight captains "lost" their ships) until things return to normal. You and Pat take care and stay safe on your always beautiful big island

Thank you, Copper John!  Pat sends his regards.  We are doing pretty well here, just wish we were at sea - hope you are both well and enjoying life!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Father; they have to "move" the ships periodically in order to get the engines and other systems out of the "rut" of being anchored for extended periods of time

John, I knew you would have the answer.  Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Having grown up in The Netherlands I am just making an educated guess that the weather conditions along the Western coast of Holland are not a good location for any of these cruise ships  in the fall . You might see there are no cruise ships left there at all and that they are all hiding in different bays off the Southern coast of Great Britain near Torbay , Weymouth and Bournemouth . 

Stormwinds from the West can be incredibly strong in the winter and fall in the North Sea .

Let's see if  @ Copper 10-8   agrees .........???? 

A picture he posted showed many ships off the Dutch Coast. You might be correct. I suspect that they have not come to the Bahamas yet is that the hurricane season has not ended. 

• Like 1

lol on all the cat pictures,  hope they enjoy today’s soup!  

Appreciate everyone’s comments on the high dose flu shot.  I had it two years ago,  but couldn’t get it last year as there appeared to be a shortage.   

In Canada, it depends on the province.   I believe Ontario does it for all seniors and maybe Nova Scotia.   Here in Alberta,  it is given to those in care homes for free.  I had to pay, but was happy to do so with my medical history.   

Agree about the shingrix that was a doozy, this shot just left me a little achy for a short while.   But I think that is good to have an immune response.   A good time to make sure we all have our shots up to date, don’t forget the pneumonia either and tetanus. We want to be healthy when it is safe to travel again!  

• Like 5

Well this day has certainly turned into a 2020.

I just received a federal jury duty notice for mid November in Philadelphia. I will not drive there and there is no public transportation. I’m not sure if I can get a hotel room at this time. I’m going to try to get  excused. I’m over 65 it should count for something. Wish me luck.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I just received a federal jury duty notice for mid November in Philadelphia. I will not drive there and there is no public transportation. I’m not sure if I can get a hotel room at this time. I’m going to try to get  excused. I’m over 65 it should count for something. Wish me luck.

I may be confusing this with Maryland local but I think over 65 is pretty much an automatic excuse.  Good luck

Roy

• Like 1

Our Global Cat....a most excellent good boy......Casey....:)

And a bit of interesting news....Norwegian's Regatta docked at the Port of Astoria (Oregon) and will be there until April.  They will pay about $75,000 a month to dock....there are about 90 crew members on the ship and they will not be allowed to disembark.  Someone asked "why"....since they were most likely Covid-free.....with the answer being.....it's not them....it would be what they could potentially bring back on to the ship....

Casey was loving the sunshine today - 19 April 2020.jpg

Regatta in Astoria, Oregon.jpg

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

😱 I couldn’t like this because there is no yikes, or sad emoji.

that’s nuts and who wants to risk being in a hotel?  

I hope you can get excused.  Good luck and very best wishes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @bennybear, we had our first high dose flu shot last week. The only issue was that I had was a sore arm, which I noticed most when I was lying in bed. In our part of Ontario, the flu shot is by the pharmacist. When I called our doctor last week before the shot, I was advised to do it that way because they had no idea when they were getting the vaccine in "hopefully in the second half of the month". 

4 hours ago, highscar said:

In ontario seniors have to get the flue shot from a family  doctor vs the drug store. . This came into effect two years ago. I got mine 2 days ago and no sore arm.

This must be a decision by your primary physician. We've always gotten the shot at our local pharmacy but this year needed to go to Shoppers because our local is very tiny and the pharmacist chose not to do it there.

I have ❤️ the Global Cat pictures @Vict0riann!

46 minutes ago, bennybear said:

lol on all the cat pictures,  hope they enjoy today’s soup!  

Appreciate everyone’s comments on the high dose flu shot.  I had it two years ago,  but couldn’t get it last year as there appeared to be a shortage.   

In Canada, it depends on the province.   I believe Ontario does it for all seniors and maybe Nova Scotia.   Here in Alberta,  it is given to those in care homes for free.  I had to pay, but was happy to do so with my medical history.   

Agree about the shingrix that was a doozy, this shot just left me a little achy for a short while.   But I think that is good to have an immune response.   A good time to make sure we all have our shots up to date, don’t forget the pneumonia either and tetanus. We want to be healthy when it is safe to travel again!  

You are right about Ontario, bennybear.

The influenza vaccine is available at no cost to the public through primary care providers, public health units, pharmacies (for those 5 years of age and older), and in various other settings such as long-term care homes, workplaces, hospitals and community health centres. [govt website Sep 12, 2018]
Prayers for those that need them and cheers for celebrations! Thanks to everyone!
Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear your mask!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I received a jury notice a few months ago....and did use my "senior" status to decline....

However.....I was more tempted to respond......."Not without a Hazmat Suit"....!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Best of luck. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greetings everyone!   I enjoyed the cat pictures, but never had one as a pet.   Dad didn't care for cats, so we had dogs.  

I did get the high dose flu shot this  year along with the pneumonia shot.   I generally didn't get the flu vaccine due to having had Guillian Barre Syndrome many years ago, but in discussing it with my doctor and a couple physician friends, we decided that the risk from the flu was greater than the risk from the vaccine.  So far, so good.  Not even a sore arm.  

Thank you for  your continued prayers for Matt and Laura.  Matt reports that they are both feeling a bit better today - not as tired.  So, we are anxiously awaiting those negative tests next week!

Take care and be safe.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes, that shingles shot is a doozy, especially the second one!!

I had such a bad reaction to my first shingles shot (ill for a month) that I refused to get the second one.  My doctor said I was about 70% covered and totally understood how I felt and didn’t push the issue.  I am pro vaccine but just couldn’t put myself through it again. 

Sharon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1