The Daily for Thursday Oct 22, 2020

richwmn

today is Clean Up the Earth Day, National Nut Day, and National Color Day

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.

-- Emerson                                  

Meal suggestion for today - Perfect Broiled Salmon

Drink of the Day - Bronx Cocktail

Wine of the day - Château Ducru-Beaucaillou St.-Julien vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Westerdam destination Torquai

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 10/26
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 10/24

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Oosterdam

1022world.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Good morning Rich.  Hello to all my fellow dailyites.

Clean up the earth day will bring more color.  Didn't realize nuts had their own day.  LOL

The quote is so true.  And DH would love the menu for today, but no salmon in the freezer.

Bronx Coctail:

Ingredients: 1 oz (6 parts) Gin, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Orange juice, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Sweet Red Vermouth, 1/3 oz (2 parts) Dry Vermouth
Preparation: Pour into cocktail shaker all ingredients with ice cubes, shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail or martini glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Orange twist

Prayers for those on our lists and really for all of us.  Congrats to the second list.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Things are getting nasty again.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites.

Love the Daily Report.

Clean up the Earth Day should be everyday.

Nut day.  Does that celebrate the thing you eat, or crazy people?

No salmon for us today, but I'll try to buy some next time I go out for groceries.

Thanks for the cocktail recipe, looking forward to reading about the wine.

Praying for us all. 

Celebrating whatever we can.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Love the selection of days, especially Clean  Up the Earth Day.    So true on the quote.  Since I don't do seafood I'll pass on the salmon; my alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Spice Crusted Prime Rib, and Apricot Crisp as served on the Amsterdam October 22, 2017.  It was a very stormy day and I'm glad I was well enough to enjoy it.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Sharon’s book club member

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Spring coming to New Zealand

A Baltimore performing arts group cheering and dancing for voters dropping their ballots in drop boxes.

And the Utah Republican and Democratic Gubernatorial candidates, appearing together in a joint ad for unity.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Clean up the Earth day should be every day.  I assume the national Nut Day is for the nuts we eat 😉 

Love the quote by Emerson.

Salmon sounds great. I’ll pop some out of the freezer and have it tomorrow night.  Today is bbq as it is supposed to be one of our last warmer days.

To celebrate National Colour Day, my burning bushes are showing off.

This one has started to lose leaves but still pretty.

318805FB-F6BA-42A3-B71F-A2895D02A4B5.thumb.jpeg.9d25e353e29c2772cc08f1a64e5da8b5.jpeg

While this one has just started to turn.

59E96F78-0197-40A5-8611-D1955EF904CD.thumb.jpeg.02ee022d535e60c9b4fe60926fa212e9.jpeg

Seeing the cold temps coming, I figured I better clean up the chilies for what may be my last haul.  @bennybear the ones on the right are for more seeds.  I’m not giving up yet and if I can get more great.  But, if chilies get frost, they go soft so better safe than sorry 😉

1BACB79E-1F88-495B-BB69-EBCF5C7F2A86.thumb.jpeg.aab69c463c7f61748feecbb593c05cae.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for anyone who needs them and a toast to all of those we are celebrating.

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 19

Good morning Rich, thank you once again for the Daily. 

Anyone else having troubles logging in the past few days? I get the 503 bad link and keep trying til it hits. Jeez

Good morning sisters. Sending love and sunshine your way.

And Roy, I hope you are feeling better today. Thank you for your cares and celebrations.

So, National nut day... I had to be careful with that one. But this guy is pretty cute!

Nut Jokes

Wishing and hoping everyone will celebrate earth day every day.

Pivotal Fun. Earth Day jokes – Pivotal

Don't want to jinx myself, but the critters have not come thru the yard lately. I believe my concoction worked!

Our neighbor says she has nightly visitors but apparently there's nothing they want. Guess they were just passing thru to the next yard. 

I do not know what's for dinner yet. I am thinking a late sushi lunch. Not a salmon lover. Summer's drink would knock me out.. Wondering what the wine will be today? I'll be patient and wait for Ann's review.

Take care, send out love, blessings to all.

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I get the 503 bad link and keep trying til it hits. Jeez

I got the 503 a few times the other day.  I closed the browser and re-opened and it worked ok.  Just in case it is of help 🤞 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy thank you for our lists! Roy, I think our celebration list is longer than our care list! I am thrilled to see that. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Sorry Joy, it is another red wine.

Boy does our Earth need cleaning up. 😞 And we do not seem to learn. I will celebrate Nuts (Of all types) & Color this evening.

Wonderful quote. The meal sounds great. Need to dig around in the freezer drawers to see if I still have some. That drink is hands off for me, Summer. I knew it was rough from its name.😉

@kazu love your burning bush & those 🌶! What an amazing crop. It is so rewarding to see one’s hard work pay off. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

This French red blend is a stunner. If you can wait until the 2019 vintage - everyone of the 4 reviewers gave it a score of 100!  But even the 2015 vintage is in the high 90s. And the prices match. Today’s price starts at $179, while the 2019 is slightly less - $155. There were no winemaker notes, so I included two descriptive reviews.

#84 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018
D98Decanter
That sexy, smoky, exuberant feeling of La Croix and Lalande-Borie in 2015 is found here too, but with everything turned up a notch - or rather tuned up a notch, giving finesse and precision to the texture and shape. Pure blackberry and blueberry fruits and an incredibly silky texture draws out through the glass. You can almost slide off this wine it is so expertly played, finessed and presented. And you are so seduced that you almost miss the tannic build up that hits you on the finish. Great stuff! 100% new oak.
WS97Wine Spectator
Showy, with layers of warmed fig, roasted mesquite, black tea, incense and Turkish coffee notes, followed by waves of lush cassis, blackberry and raspberry confiture flavors. This has a graphite grounding rod, a tarry spine and riveting licorice snap details to keep it driving along. A head-turner for sure. Best from 2025 through 2045.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

WS97Wine Spectator

Showy, with layers of warmed fig, roasted mesquite, black tea, incense and Turkish coffee notes, followed by waves of lush cassis, blackberry and raspberry confiture flavors. This has a graphite grounding rod, a tarry spine and riveting licorice snap details to keep it driving along. A head-turner for sure. Best from 2025 through 2045.

Ann, I am ok with this one being a red. Especially reading about graphite grounding rod and a tarry spine..🤢

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the daily Rich.  A good choice of what to celebrate today, if I have time it will be all three.  The earth needs cleaning up in a lot of ways.  Love the saying, pass on the cocktail and the dinner selection.  Sharing some fall colours and sculptures in Southern Ontario.  Have a great day everyone.

047506E9-E2D4-4F08-ACC6-EDD8A243C307.jpeg

64F0819B-C3E0-43F7-BD33-FA8E28D0936D.jpeg

C0C86A95-7A94-4528-AE3F-5152E10866C8.jpeg

575D07CC-E316-4E7F-A98D-27FD072B1EAA.jpeg

16DB9F29-E16E-4A5D-97E6-77F40806B586.jpeg

EBF340DB-17A0-4588-9589-04D333EBEF0D.jpeg

CEB5A460-2089-4334-895F-87A6A9251E64.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Woke before sunrise as I was worried about the temperatures. This weekend we could see eleven degrees over night. We are in for a cold stretch. I am hoping I got everything fixed right for the cold. 

Thanks Rich and everyone for keeping this thread so encouraging and fun. 

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great assortment of days to celebrate - we should be cleaning up the earth on a daily basis.  When we took our family camping, one of the things we would do is make sure the area was cleaner than when we got there, even if it meant hunting farther afield to pick up trash.  Our family has it's share of nuts, and we do celebrate them from time to time.

Clean up after yourself! #planet #earth #mother #environmentaleducation  #repost | Save earth, Mother earth, Earth

Unfortunately, the Covid numbers have increased in Canada to the point that the EU has taken us off the approved travel list.  Not that we were going anywhere soon, it's just a disappointment.  We'll keep on with our protocols, and hope everyone else does as well.

Holey moley, I'm not going to be buying any of the suggested wine today unless I win the lottery - yikes!  Also, although I love red wine, I'm not sure about that graphite grounding rod and tarry spine thing!  In my next glass of Cardboardeaux, I'll have to determine if there are any toothpick-like tannins or Q-tip notes that I can detect.  LOL

I like the meal suggestions for today - both Rich's and Roy's, but DH mentioned last night he really enjoyed the baked spaghetti, so I'm bringing out the frozen leftovers for tonight's dinner.  And wine.   Maybe we'll have salmon sandwiches for lunch.

Prayers for all who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking of the wine glasses tonight for all on the celebration list (I'm happy to see it's longer than the prayer list).  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Good morning!!Thanks Rich for today’s Emerson’s quote! I so believe in that. With National Clean Earth Day, we will be doing a clean up this am at our Moonlight Beach at 8. It is amazing how much stuff we pick up! Appreciate Roy’s celebration/ care list and your dinner suggestion sound good!!

We had salmon last night!

🌺🌸🌸🌺🌸 Good Morning to my sisters have a beautiful day!

Ann not a favorite on the red. I do appreciate you always taking the time to give us the description!

Summer I really don’t like vermouth soI will  pass on the drink! Thank you always for your contributions also!

Take care all!! 
San Diego is still in the red tier!!Almost was put in Purple tier where a lot  of businesss would have to be closed 🙄

Please wear your masks 🎭 ❤️
Denise😊

• Like 10

Good morning Rich and all DAILYITES.  It is a rainy day in Naperville.  The Celebrity APEX--the second Edge Class ship--was seen docked at Pier 17 at Port Everglades the other day.  Loved Rich's meal suggestion and also liked Roy's alternet  meal suggestion.(love Prime Rib) Thanks to all who posted before me.  Blessings to all of you.

• Like 10

Good  morning to  all. I  enjoy  looking  at  the  fall  colors from  all  over,thanks to  all  for   the  pictures. Our  New  York  colors  are  muted  so  far. I  live  on  the  Bronx border(100  feet  from  my  front  door) and  would  try  a  Bronx cocktail  if  I  could. It  sounds  tasty.

• Like 10

Thank you to Rich and Roy for their contributions each day, and to everyone else for the lovely photos, funny memes, and great conversation!  

My celebration of the day is that my son is driving from Michigan to Missouri today to visit with his Gram (DH's Mom) in her nursing home.  He will stay 2 nights so he can visit again tomorrow and perhaps even Saturday morning before driving back home.  No flying since driving is safer.  In order to be away a couple of days he had to record a class lecture for his students at U of Michigan.  So proud of my loving, empathetic son!  His Gram will be ecstatic to see him!  I would love to see him, too, but that will have to wait.  

@Seasick Sailor you asked yesterday who would take the vaccine for Coronavirus; well I would.  I'll be right behind you in line!  😉

• Like 12

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

love your burning bush & those 🌶! What an amazing crop. It is so rewarding to see one’s hard work pay off. 

Thanks cat 🙂. I’ve had quite the haul several times from these plants.  DH has had fresh chilies every day for two months.  He’s a happy camper 🙂 

• Like 7

We got our flu shots today, the enhanced version, at our doctor’s office. I hope this year’s version is effective. And it sounds like many are being very proactive about getting it. There are waiting lists at the pharmacies. And yes, once a COVID vaccine is approved in Canada, my dh and I would get it, as would our daughters and their families. Greetings from a rainy Essex county Ontario. Stay safe.

• Like 10

Good Morning Dailyites! Again, your words/photos/cartoons ensure a broad smile, if not outright guffaws, at this end of the cyberlink. Huge thanks to all contributors!

Big doings in Small Town Central Virginia: a HUGE power outage last night, starting close to 8pm, which resulted in an early turning in for us. I woke up around 2:30am and went around the house, turning off lights and tv, resetting a few manual clocks. At that time, I noticed that it was very foggy outside. When I got up again after sunrise, the fog was still heavy. It has now burned off and we are heading for another glorious Indian Summer day with lots of sunshine and high temps forecast as 78F/25C. Much more to my preference than the family photos from MN showing terrific snowman building achievements!

There was a question about whether we would be vaccinated for COVID-19 when one is available. Two definite YES responses here! Our part of Virginia continues to record more cases (and deaths), which is beyond sad.

As for food & drink today, as delicious as the previous suggestions have been, we are going to opt for a sushi & sashimi feast, with sake tonight. This has been a long-standing request as I celebrate my 39th. Again. 🤣 

Thanks again everyone. Stay safe. And please, wear a mask!

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Good Morning Dailyites! Again, your words/photos/cartoons ensure a broad smile, if not outright guffaws, at this end of the cyberlink. Huge thanks to all contributors!

Big doings in Small Town Central Virginia: a HUGE power outage last night, starting close to 8pm, which resulted in an early turning in for us. I woke up around 2:30am and went around the house, turning off lights and tv, resetting a few manual clocks. At that time, I noticed that it was very foggy outside. When I got up again after sunrise, the fog was still heavy. It has now burned off and we are heading for another glorious Indian Summer day with lots of sunshine and high temps forecast as 78F/25C. Much more to my preference than the family photos from MN showing terrific snowman building achievements!

There was a question about whether we would be vaccinated for COVID-19 when one is available. Two definite YES responses here! Our part of Virginia continues to record more cases (and deaths), which is beyond sad.

As for food & drink today, as delicious as the previous suggestions have been, we are going to opt for a sushi & sashimi feast, with sake tonight. This has been a long-standing request as I celebrate my 39th. Again. 🤣 

Thanks again everyone. Stay safe. And please, wear a mask!

Happy 39th!

• Like 4