The Daily for Monday Oct 26, 2020

richwmn

Good morning all!  We're having some frosty mornings here in NW WA, but none of that s-word yet!  I'm just glad we're having some dry days at least for awhile.  😉 Still raking leaves with no end in sight.

I love mincemeat, not as much as other kinds of pie, but it reminds me of my Dad who loved all pie and he was the only reason I made mincemeat pie at Thanksgiving.  Not many others in the family would touch it.  

DH was deployed a few times during our marriage, including the first year of our marriage when he was sent to Viet Nam 😞 ....and a few shorter periods later over the years.  Such is the life of a military wife!

Not a fan of mac and cheese, but sloppy joes sounds really good today. 

DS sent the recipe for Alton Brown's eggnog, he says if I make it now it will be "magnificent" by the holidays.  So I need to get started on that.  😄  

• Like 10

Thanks to everyone for making this a "go to" place for most pleasant reading and sharing!  

The snow even arrived here in Western Colorado, but in reading this morning, it will only help for a short time on the fires.  Winds are expected to pick up later in the week!  @rafinmd, thank you for the work you do for the volunteer fire department.  With all our fires, we have been learning importance of both paid and volunteer departments!

Even with looking at snow on the ground, I am wanting a cold soup on a DAM ship!  A year ago, while on the Zuiderdam for 21 days, I had a waiter that would bring me a cold soup every night.  Not on the menu, but he knew I liked them, so ---!

Have a great day everyone!  Praying for those on the care lists  And praying for all deployed and their families.  Will also raise a glass to those celebrating!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@Seasick Sailor I love your new profile picture!  Was that picture taken in Texas?

Sharon

Hi Sharon. This profile picture was taken on the way back from Stonehenge. Our driver took us on a country ride and we ate at a place called Whitehorse. Then he took us to a beautiful river and gave us bread to feed the ducks.

0810181224a.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is National Mincemeat Day, National Day of the Deployed, and Horseless Carriage Day

UFO's are for real: the Air Force doesn't exist.

Pin on Funny Photos and Memes

10+ Best Alien comics images | aliens funny, funny cartoons, humor

Funny-Comics | 500+ ideas on Pinterest | funny comics, funny, comics

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the update Rich...

Had to Google the Mac & Cheese variation as always looking for something to surprise Momma when she gets off work.

@summer slope I spent a while this morning Googling motels in Sebring.  Want to take a trip down to cruise amongst my old hangouts.  Lived there from 1955 to 1960 when I left for college and my mother lived there for many more years...

Finally have blue skies today and enjoying the cool weather...

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

@summer slope I spent a while this morning Googling motels in Sebring.  Want to take a trip down to cruise amongst my old hangouts.  Lived there from 1955 to 1960 when I left for college and my mother lived there for many more years...

I don't know if they are open due to covid, but we enjoyed Inn on the Lakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! An interesting collection of days, although I always associate mincemeat with Christmas. @Seasick Sailor, our hummingbirds have been plentiful and aggressive the last two weeks, long after they should be gone south. We had heavy forest fire smoke during their normal migration time, which may have thrown things off. Today though there are only one or two left, so hopefully the rest are on their way to Mexico!

AD26DB87-15BC-4BC0-B4C0-64C17E75889D.jpeg

C8E87409-18BF-4957-BAB1-A5621450F126.jpeg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Today is the big day for my little dog Blue’s tooth extraction. I dropped him off at 7:30 this morning and pick him up about 2:00 this afternoon. Crazy, but I am already missing him and worried about him. 

Oh, I hope all goes well with Blue’s tooth extraction 🙏🏻 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Thanks to everyone for making this a "go to" place for most pleasant reading and sharing!  

The snow even arrived here in Western Colorado, but in reading this morning, it will only help for a short time on the fires.  Winds are expected to pick up later in the week!  @rafinmd, thank you for the work you do for the volunteer fire department.  With all our fires, we have been learning importance of both paid and volunteer departments!

Even with looking at snow on the ground, I am wanting a cold soup on a DAM ship!  A year ago, while on the Zuiderdam for 21 days, I had a waiter that would bring me a cold soup every night.  Not on the menu, but he knew I liked them, so ---!

Have a great day everyone!  Praying for those on the care lists  And praying for all deployed and their families.  Will also raise a glass to those celebrating!

Thanks for the info on western Colorado.  We just returned from outside Lyons a few days ago.  Our son and family live there.  We were at their home when the pre evacuation order went into place.  Was so glad the snows came.  Haven't talked to them today...giving them a break from our constant texting!  Praying that the firefighters get a hand of the fires and the winds predicted aren't that strong.  Grandkids are enjoying the snow and a snow day from school.

Thanks for all the information.  It is good to be back reading the posts.  Took a break while we traveled.  We enjoyed the travel trailer.  Gorgeous scenery except for the strong winds in Wyoming and Colorado.  Made it to Ester Park and Rocky Mountain National park.  

Also appreciate all the positive posts and information.

Stay safe and well and wear that mask!!  

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Today is the big day for my little dog Blue’s tooth extraction. I dropped him off at 7:30 this morning and pick him up about 2:00 this afternoon. Crazy, but I am already missing him and worried about him. 

Dear Sharon,

Oh Sharon Blue is in good hands and pray his extraction will be smooth. It is 1 pm here in San Diego so you have an hour before Blue will be released. We miss our fur babies and a lot of love ❤️ will be given to Blue! Sending love and positive thoughts!

Take care Sharon and Blue🌺

Denise😊

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Misspelled
  • Like 8

There have been a few swans on Lake Phalen recently. We can sometimes see them from our front windows. I'll try to get some photos to post tomorrow. 

In the meantime, here is a Lego(tm) hummingbird from the Mounts Botanical Garden and some of their flowers -

image.thumb.png.20ce729345e53c44ccde16255e7efe12.png

image.thumb.png.f8154e2834796f4057f8534e123f48a5.png

A very curious water lily, it looks out of focus (and maybe it is a little bit)  but that is mostly due to the very fine fringe on the flower petals -

image.thumb.png.12e4e14e0d62bad7f31328fdf4fe5b79.png

• Like 14

This was our "summer cruiser" horseless carriage for a number of years.  It came to us as a pathetic looking vehicle, but DH paid to have it beautifully restored.  I used to refer to as my "61 Hair Dryer" because in the early mornings by the time I got to work my hair would be dry.  It was so long it just barely fit into our garage.  We finally gave it up a few years ago, as it didn't seem fair to only take it out a few times every summer, so it went to a new home where they said it would see lots of miles.

image.thumb.jpeg.e5037a9a361c51894f52eb339e703c6f.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

196012_4484183547898_2133112711_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=IOyA5IHH4QwAX9057zN&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=5bba78f8dfbc6caa591d4b4828021fec&oe=5FBD08FF

Val

We had a black and white Metropolitan when DH was in the Army in New Jersey.  Paid $50 for it and towed it back to the GI garage at Picatinny Arsenal since the transmission was in the trunk.   Once the transmission was fixed and installed, it was a fun car to drive.  Sold it when he got out of the Army for $75.

Lenda

• Like 10