CDC wants U.S. travelers not to cruise - not surprising

pe4all

On 10/28/2020 at 4:28 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Sadly various agencies do not report in the same manner or communicate well.  For example in Maricopa County (Phoenix) death certificates are recorded when received from the funeral home.  Often a 60 day delay.  COVID numbers go through Arizona Dept of Health.  Collection methods and numbers have been changed at least twice.  In Pima (Tucson) reporting goes from the testing site to the county health department except state agencies report directly to ADHealth.  Death recording here has a 7 day or less lag time.  I have no idea why.

How are tests reported.  If athletes are tested many times is every test reported?  The NFL gives thousands of tests.  Where and how are they recorded.

Numbers are a bit crazy.  If one is testing at say JFK, are those tests are results sent to NY or to the state's of residence.

My point is health etc is a state matter for regulation and it seems it is reported differently depending on who is doing the testing or recording.

Last, giving percentages for increases can give a distorted picture.  A 50% increase in one state might be 500 cases. While 5% in another. 

And I am absolutely not suggesting in any way that COVID is not an out of control pandemic.  Yes in some places hospital beds, but most are fine.  I get that El Paso has set up a 50 bed center, but Ft. Hood has beds within a few miles.

You mean Ft Bliss

On 10/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, pe4all said:

We can leave NY, but upon returning from any of the 44 states now on the list must do a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return to NY.  People are getting by this by driving back from Florida.  We have a condo in FLL that we have not been able to get to since covid began (8 months now) due to the impossibility of dh quarantining for 2 weeks upon return and missing 2 weeks of work. I am retired and could quarantine, but with age and a pacemaker I am also nervous about going to Florida- even wearing a mask and trying to socially distance.  

pe4all, Gov. Cuomo just revised this policy.  For anyone leaving NY and going to a "hotspot" state, it's asked that you get tested 3 days before you return to NY, then quarantine for 3 days, and get tested again - with both tests being negative.

I'm posting even though you are probably aware of this change, but for out of staters who may not hear/read this news.  I'm an ex NYer now transplanted to Florida, and while I was happy not to be near NYC back in the spring, I think the situation in Florida now is worse than being in NY.  NY may have passed 1,000 cases per day but we have been above that mark for quite some time, recent cases per day have been over 3,000, sometimes 4,000.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

pe4all, Gov. Cuomo just revised this policy.  For anyone leaving NY and going to a "hotspot" state, it's asked that you get tested 3 days before you return to NY, then quarantine for 3 days, and get tested again - with both tests being negative.

I'm posting even though you are probably aware of this change, but for out of staters who may not hear/read this news.  I'm an ex NYer now transplanted to Florida, and while I was happy not to be near NYC back in the spring, I think the situation in Florida now is worse than being in NY.  NY may have passed 1,000 cases per day but we have been above that mark for quite some time, recent cases per day have been over 3,000, sometimes 4,000.

Yes, I started a new thread with this news.  If you do not get tested you have to do 14 days back in NY.  Have looked into getting down to our condo in FLL for Thanksgiving.  We would have to go to Miami (Hard Rock Stadium) to get a rapid test - no place in FLL to get one, and can't wait 3-5 days for test results.  And yes - Florida's infection rate is pretty bad.  We are at 1.5% - a slight raise over the last few days but not as bad as Florida.

20 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Yes, I started a new thread with this news.  If you do not get tested you have to do 14 days back in NY.  Have looked into getting down to our condo in FLL for Thanksgiving.  We would have to go to Miami (Hard Rock Stadium) to get a rapid test - no place in FLL to get one, and can't wait 3-5 days for test results.  And yes - Florida's infection rate is pretty bad.  We are at 1.5% - a slight raise over the last few days but not as bad as Florida.

Not true, there are  plenty of places to get tested and get results back in less than a day. 

10 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

Not true, there are  plenty of places to get tested and get results back in less than a day. 

It all depends on the type of test you want.  PCR tests take the longest tine, but usually the ones required.

10 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

In FLL?  Not according to Florida Dept. of Health.  I saw Holiday Park had rapid tests, but when I called the DOH to confirm they said Holiday Park no longer does the rapid test  - they discontinued them and results would come in 3-5 days.  Same with the CVS's we called, etc.   If we have a specific flight back to NY we can't "hope" we get the results back before our flight, and within the 3 day period NY wants them done in.  If you know of any other places in/near FLL we can get a rapid test, please let me know.  Thank you.

36 minutes ago, pe4all said:

In FLL?  Not according to Florida Dept. of Health.  I saw Holiday Park had rapid tests, but when I called the DOH to confirm they said Holiday Park no longer does the rapid test  - they discontinued them and results would come in 3-5 days.  Same with the CVS's we called, etc.   If we have a specific flight back to NY we can't "hope" we get the results back before our flight, and within the 3 day period NY wants them done in.  If you know of any other places in/near FLL we can get a rapid test, please let me know.  Thank you.

I am in Naples and we have mutiple places to get PCR testing done quickly most of the larger medical groups and hospitals have facilities that will do the test. I have used Millennium Physicians Group and Naples Community hospital. Not the public drive up sites but their medical groups. My last test was a month ago and I had the results back the next morning. 

Edited by regoodwinjr

18 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

I am in Naples and we have mutiple places to get PCR testing done quickly most of the larger medical groups and hospitals have facilities that will do the test. I have used Millennium Physicians Group and Naples Community hospital. Not the public drive up sites but their medical groups. My last test was a month ago and I had the results back the next morning. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  Will double check, but again - but definitely need rapid testing to make the 3 day window we have.  Cant chance not getting on plane without results in hand.

2 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Will double check, but again - but definitely need rapid testing to make the 3 day window we have.  Cant chance not getting on plane without results in hand.

I completely understand. The results for most providers come in quickly but the problem is with the notification to the patient.

19 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Greetings , med express and many private urgent care centers are doing the rapid test in fl . Most are 7 days a week and are done by 2pm . I know med express does them in their  parking lot. Try the private urgent care I’m sure u can get them.. 

Tampa international airport now has it 7 days a week , in the main terminal all you need is a boarding pass within 3 day .

I do believe that airport testing is being rolled out state wide ..

good luck

• Like 1

In the CDC's defense, they do advise against all nonessential travel.  I think the difference in tone reflects the fact that a lot of airline travel is essential travel, but there's no effective way to differentiate between essential and nonessential airline travel.  Meanwhile, no cruise travel is essential travel.

• Like 2