The Daily for Tuesday Oct 27, 2020

richwmn

today is Navy Day, Black Cat Day, and National Tell a Story Day

Trust everybody, but cut the cards.
        -- Finlay Peter Dunne, "Mr. Dooley's Philosophy"

Meal suggestion for today - Spaghetti Squash Pepperoni Pizza Boats

Drink of the Day - Tequila Sunrise

Wine of the day - Peter Lauer Riesling Qualitätswein Feinherb Mosel Barrel X vintage 2016

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Willemstad eta 10/29

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Portland UK
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Oosterdam

1027World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on black cat day (leave it to others), cheers to the Navy and storytellers.  Love the quote.  I'll pass on the dinner suggestion.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake, as served on the Amsterdam October 27, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires, especially Southern California

Safe healing for Blue

Those in the path of Zeta

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome Justice Barret, wishing for wisdom and compassion

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

Highland cruiser back from getaway

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

No black cats for me.  A big Thank You to the Navy.  I love a good story.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, but @rafinmd's sounds good.

I'd love a Tequila Sunrise.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Praying for everyone.  Cheers to everyone who celebrates.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s a great combination of days and I love that quote.

I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion.  Roy’s alternate sounds more appealing.

Those that serve in the Navy are most deserving of a special day.  The Navy has a special place in my heart as my father, aunt & uncle all served in the Navy in WWII.

3D2B75B5-7479-4E1C-987F-75E1860F3F00.thumb.jpeg.79c29a7c578559574abfe86c981ca24e.jpeg

Love black cats and I will happily celebrate them all.

E8ADA90D-E21B-4CA0-98FB-70D3D088092A.thumb.jpeg.b28e3be6e18c4d8a4d50c7331737f88f.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list & to those who need them and a toast to all those on the Celebratory list.  I join in Roy’s wish for Justice Barrett to have wisdom & compassion & pray she does not undo all of the late great Justice Ruth Ginsberg’s work. 🙏🏻 

Have a great Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe & don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 18

Good morning, thank you for the Daily.

My Mother had brothers in the Navy, one in the Pacific in WW2 and her baby brother in Korea. I'll take this day to salute them and all who others who have served.

Hope everyone has a safe, satisfying day!

George

• Like 13

Good  morning.  Love the Navy day, my father was a PT "swabbie" during WWII.  My tortie cat is sorta black.  And the ability to tell a good story is a true talent.

The menu is something I've not heard of before.  Will have to research further.

The quote is great.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Tequila Sunrise:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Tequila, 1/2 oz (1 part) Grenadine syrup, 3 oz (6 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Pour the tequila and orange juice into glass over ice. Add the grenadine, which will sink to the bottom. Do not stir. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cherry, Orange slice

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Go Navy! When I lived in Annapolis, it was wonderful having the Academy right there. The midshipmen would march from the gates of the academy to the stadium for each home game. Always got the crowd going! I got to sail the Bay dodging Naval vessels being used in training sessions, and then the Commissioning Week events with the Blue Angels practicing over the Bay. Lots of great memories there!

Roy thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! We have a white wine today!  Love all cats, but black cats are so sweet! I love a good story, but I am not the best story teller. I have actually had the drink du jour! This might be a first. Another lovely morning here. I know Fall is out there somewhere, just waiting for the humidity to leave for a few months.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This “lithe” White German Riesling is considered “off-dry”. Very good ratings, a prices starting at $19.98. I am not a fan of sweet Rieslings, but this one sounds like one I would enjoy. And who can resist a “silly value”?

#66 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

An appellation-wine, Barrel X is Lauer’s Platonic ideal of what a Saar Riesling should be. In Burgundy, this would be the equivalent of a Bourgogne Blanc. Grapes are sourced from multiple vineyards in three different villages of the Saar. This is always a thrilling off-dry and a silly value.

WS91 Wine Spectator

A lithe white, showing fine clarity and focus, with orange blossom aromas followed by kumquat and nectarine notes on the palate. Off-dry, offering ample acidity for balance, with a mineral-infused finish. Drink now through 2020.
  • Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Bless the Navy and all they do!  We had a beautiful little black kitten, who, after 6 months with us, decided to move across the street and live with our neighbours.  We couldn't explain it, but they loved her as much as we did.  True story.

Not sure about the menu suggestion or the wine (although it sounds seductive "a lithe white"), but could go for a drink of the day.  Kind of like a Mexican version of a mimosa.  I like Roy's alternate suggestion, and can't wait for the day when we can look at those menus and make the choices once more.  Dinner tonight will likely be baked chicken & potatoes and a salad.  And wine.

It's hard to believe, but 11 years ago today we were in Jerusalem on a HAL shore excursion, 6 years, 4 years, and 2 years ago we were in Barcelona on this very day readying to board another HAL cruise.  Miss them?  You bet!

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wineglasses tonight for all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 10

Today's sunrise is from my 2015 Allure of the Seas transatlantic.  We were in Malaga, Spain:

dawn1027.jpg

That day we were joined in Malaga by what should have been my next HAL ship, the Zuiderdam:

zuiderdam4.jpg

Roy

• Like 16

Good morning all and thanks Rich for the daily.  My appreciation for the Navy who keep our seas safe.  Our last cat Ziggy was black with a smidge of white on her chest.  We never chose her, she found us, liked what we offered and stuck around for the rest of her days.  Our grands love hearing stories from our “old days” so I guess we can celebrate story telling today too.  We do like spaghetti squash, not thinking that combo.  Thinking about those on Roy's care list and my best to those who on his shout-out list out.  Have a great Tuesday everyone.  

• Like 10

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on black cat day (leave it to others), cheers to the Navy and storytellers.  Love the quote.  I'll pass on the dinner suggestion.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake, as served on the Amsterdam October 27, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires, especially Southern California

Safe healing for Blue

Those in the path of Zeta

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome Justice Barret, wishing for wisdom and compassion

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

Highland cruiser back from getaway

Roy

Roy:  Thank you for listing those in need of prayer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My cousin (well, not actually my cousin, he is older than me yet still my cousin is his mother) in Halifax was a career Navy guy.  I visited his ship (Athabaskan) when he was in port in Baltimore once.

DSCF8444.thumb.JPG.ee5faa45b7b683390902a0df532d08a4.JPG

Roy

• Like 8

Good morning. Thanks, Prayers and Cheers everyone.    
This is sunset night before Azamara Journey Athens to Dubai 10/27/17 from hotel roof top dining room.  Not ocean view but a lovely start to a great trip.  2F1760AE-3941-4582-8940-91A0E44E3665.thumb.png.d1ac434d1fa369f167f169c8cdac59e6.png

• Like 8

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy.  Things are suddenly much worse in our province.  The new rule is masks in all indoor public spaces, and no parties at home.   The bishop has already recommended masks in church, but our pastor has not mentioned it, so we'll see what happens today and then we will decide whether to continue to attend Mass.  (Tuesday is our Sunday)  

Not black, but a couple of cat jokes.

image024.jpg.076bccbbc04af2d295fee185f547ddd8.jpg

image002.jpg.ca4bfae70cb81960751f07e534ba81a4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Good morning Rich and thanks once again for the Daily.

Hi sisters Denise and Ann and fellow Daily-ites.

My father was a gunner on a Navy ship in WWII. We will toast to him tonight.

I have never had a black cat. A calico that was dumped off by our barn adopted us and by the time the snow was flying, she was cuddled up nice and warm on our bed.

The weather is getting colder. It was 36 this morning when I got up and the high today is 46. The HEAT came on this morning!

We are meeting friends for dinner tonight downtown. Mexican, so fairly certain they will not be offering pizza boats.

Prayers and cheers to all on Roy's list. God bless ya'll and stay safe.

• Like 8

Good Morning all!

We are having the cooler days of fall here, but we still have the Santa Ana winds, and they are driving 2 large local fires. DH’s work let them leave at noon yesterday and we are doubting they will open today as the evacuation zone currently ends on the other side of the street. We’re just a quarter mile from an evacuation zone. Most of our town is under orders. For the moment the winds are light, so hopefully they can get air support up. Humidity was 2-5%- yesterday. Not sure what it is today but skin sure is itchy.

The 2 fires are in a long corridor of wilderness that goes through multiple counties. It holds much of our prime hiking/ biking trails, wildlife habitats.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I can celebrate the Navy.... my Father served during WWII. And many years ago I had a lovely black cat. I was living in Wisconsin at the time.... had a dog and a calico cat. One cold snowy day my roommate was leaving the house.... opened the front door and a black cat walked in carrying a kitten. She put it on the sofa and howled to be let out. A few minutes later she was back with another. This time we followed her back to an old garage and gathered up remaining kittens and Mama... and that was how Rachel came to live with me. My in residence cat and dog accepted her at once. She certainly knew what she wanted.

18 degrees this morning when I gave the dogs their first walk of the day. High today is forecast as 38. We did not get much snow yesterday, but it alternated rain/snow showers off and on most of the day. Not a lot of moisture but better than none. Hopefully the bulk of the snow fell where it was most needed.... on those #!@!! fires. The Ice fire near Silverton is pretty well contained and nearly out although they will be watching it for awhile.

Will finish off my beef stew tonight.... then need to start some cooking that involves running the oven.

Susan

• Like 8