The Daily for Sunday Nov 1, 2020

richwmn

28 minutes ago, gigianne said:

@Seasick Sailor An added bonus for that recipe - it's Weight Watchers.  I have even made it for company.  You could also use boneless thighs or a combo of both.  
@ger_77 DH makes delicious potato chip cookies!

It really does sound delicious.

And I found a recipe for CHOCOLATE potato chip cookies! I will make these when I have visitors. Otherwise, we ALL know what will happen.

2FC1A6EC-3884-49C1-A25F-5D867CF92CF3.png

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday All!

Yesterday was busy with our MTB (mountain bike) club’s annual costume ride. It was lots of fun and there were some really creative costumes. One of the challenges is it has to be both safe and reasonably comfortable to ride in. 

Finished the utility cart for the ice cream machine and recipe file. It’s certainly not to Norm Abrams standards, but the fit and work. And it makes it easy to roll them out of the way to mop.😁

AE4C88D2-9CE0-4FC0-BE18-EC39C2AB372E.jpeg

Plan to give the gelato another try today. It will likely be peanut butter with honey roasted peanuts added. Last week I made cheddar cheese with peanut brittle. It tasted good but was hard, and had a “powdery” texture.🤨

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

Did you turn your clocks back?

We didn't have any trick or treaters last night. Good thing I only bought candy that we liked! 

Mitzi got a private sale email from HAL yesterday. I have been going through the offers but I'm not sure that any suit our needs. We have some future cruise credits that have to be booked by July 22, 2021 and sail by December 31, 2022. What will the cruising world be like then? I'm still worried about our planned March/April 2021 cruise!!

Here is the Koningsdam and Costa Pacifica in Castries, St. Lucia as we return from a catamaran excursion in March, 2019 -

image.thumb.png.aba3cd4d8ab21c0885562c64dcd2098f.png

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Overhead Fred I got a private sale brochure also. If I looked correctly, some of the cruises that had changed were on the brochure. I’m not cruising until this virus isn’t a factor., and depending on what the “product” is that is left.

Absolutely agree with you. After 2 cancelled cruises (and waiting months for our 6 week cruise money back) and 2 changes to our Maui trip next year, we have decided to just wait it out. We have FCC, but I am not willing to take any more chances no matter how juicy the cruises look. (We got the brochure yesterday too) 

• Like 7

Good morning, all.  I was up early, half the clocks are on the new time, and half not.  I have yet to check my fitbit to see if it knows how to change time.  I have a feeling I have to sync it with the app.  I used to have a lot of difficulty with it on cruises until I learned I had to do the time adjustments on my iPad and then sync the fitbit.   We have had a lot of wind the last few days so about 2/3 of the leaves are down.  It's nice to see some sunshine.  DD took a picture of the blue moon.

IMG_2022.thumb.jpeg.78c0472f048801b01fa39f6c73cc99b9.jpeg

• Like 14

Good morning all!  Well November is here and I'm already looking forward to winter being over and better times ahead 🙂  It helps to have some cruises and land trips to plan/hope for.

Here's a photo of my DD, DSIL and grandsons taken yesterday by Ryan's sister who is a photographer.  She goes all out every year to decorate her yard for Halloween.  It's hard to see our little ninja on the far left -- he loves that costume, has worn it for a couple years and I'm imagining him wearing it as shorts in the future. 🤣

ARFS Halloween.jpg

• Like 17

Happy November everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Tucson always has an All Saints Day parade, https://allsoulsprocession.org/about/, a walking parade and many people dress up for it and carry pictures of their departed loved one. I have never walked in it but have had friends who have. I believe it is canceled this year.    

We decided not to give out candy last night, kept the light off and never heard a thing. I sure missed giving it out especially to the little ones. 

We are having cured salmon either for lunch or dinner today. I bought so much salmon that I needed to get creative. I found an Ina Garten recipe and I’m hoping that I did it right. And I also have a sausage and white bean meal in the works. So no chicken tacos today. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

There seems to be a disconnect between what the ship is reporting to AIS and where they actually are.  All three online vessel tracking services show Nieuw Statendam to be headed for France.

From vesselfinder - The vessel is en route to BAIE DE SEINE FR, sailing at a speed of 0.5 knots and expected to arrive there on Nov 2, 00:00.

That woul be a modern day "wrong way Corrigan."

• Like 1

Good Morning.

Sunshine and blue skies today.

Thankfully the majority of our clocks changed time themselves.  I think all I have to change is the stove.

Last night we had 46 trick or treaters.  That was down from our average of a 100.

Have a good day.

Val

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gigianne said:

@ger_77 DH makes delicious potato chip cookies!

I'm definitely going to be looking at that recipe - I see @cat shepard   has posted one for chocolate chip potato chip cookies . . . does it get any better?

We don't turn our clocks back or forward, and haven't had to for years.  It's kind of nice not having to worry about resetting all the electronics around the house (DH is useless at that kind of thing), but it is a little disconcerting when the sun starts going down around 4:30.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I'm definitely going to be looking at that recipe - I see @cat shepard   has posted one for chocolate chip potato chip cookies . . . does it get any better?

We don't turn our clocks back or forward, and haven't had to for years.  It's kind of nice not having to worry about resetting all the electronics around the house (DH is useless at that kind of thing), but it is a little disconcerting when the sun starts going down around 4:30.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

We don’t change time either, never have, and I agree that it would be nice to have more sunshine in the late afternoon. It’s a bit hard picking our time zone on certain apps. On my phone I have to pick Phoenix but on my food app I have to either pick Pacific or Mountain, so I have to switch time zones depending on the time of year. 

• Like 5

Nieuw Statendam is on the move in the eastern part of Lyme Bay heading ( roughly) due east in the direction of Southampton. 
Zaandam is at anchor off St Vaast la Hougue in France - very sheltered .

Westerdam is heading north from St Vaast towards Southampton.

the weather is very windy 40/50 knot gusts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I couldn’t stain this year as we replaced some last year and it looks like we are doomed again next year.  I’ll have to talk to my carpenter and see when it is safe to stain the new boards.  

Rule of thumb for all pressure-treated lumber? The “sprinkle” test. Sprinkle water on your replacement boards: if the wood absorbs it within ten mins or so, stain way. If the water beads or pools on the wood surface, the wood needs more time to dry (and/or the mill glaze to environmentally wear off.)  Air-dried or kiln-dried after treatment lumber can take stain right away. Scott. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Rule of thumb for all pressure-treated lumber? The “sprinkle” test. Sprinkle water on your replacement boards: if the wood absorbs it within ten mins or so, stain way. If the water beads or pools on the wood surface, the wood needs more time to dry (and/or the mill glaze to environmentally wear off.)  Air-dried or kiln-dried after treatment lumber can take stain right away. Scott. 

Oh thank you so much Scott 😄 

I didn’t know this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I envy you but daylight is short here so I can’t totally argue with daylight savings time.

the dogs didn’t even object to the later dinner today.  I’ve slowly moved them to a bit later every day but not enough to compensate.  This just laid there and waited.  

That’s a blessing as last year at the designated time I had a lot of “looks” and cries when it didn’t happen at the time their tummies told then it should.

• Like 6