Carnival Extends Pause Through December

BlerkOne

3 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

Who really thought they’d be sailing in December???  February/March is likely to be fruitful for cruises 

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

January is definitely possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And still accepting reservations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Will take them months to get ships back to working order, crews back and trained/re-trained, testing in place pre and post cruise, sanitation standards in place.  Hopefully by January, but with covid surging already, and not even winter yet, don't know if that is even a possibility.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Well bummer. I had been keeping my fingers crossed for mid month. 

I don't think it's a bummer. I take it as somewhat optimistic that they only cancelled through December. December was never going to happen with the Conditional Sail Order requirements. That they didn't cancel January to makes me think that must still be in the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

Between now and the end of December. All cruise lines should be able to do the shake down test cruises to pass and get ready to start cruises in January. As for a vaccine being ready. The elderly and the first responders are in line to begin receive it. No matter. The flu vaccine has been around for how long and still many do not bother getting it. One major question. Will those who will receive the vaccine first be nothing more than guinea pigs? Just because you get the vaccine will that mean you are no longer able to give or get the covid19 ?  Will we all be safe to cruise then? So many questions. Will the CDC stop all cruises till everyone gets the vaccine? So many questions and no real answers.

7 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Between now and the end of December. All cruise lines should be able to do the shake down test cruises to pass and get ready to start cruises in January. As for a vaccine being ready. The elderly and the first responders are in line to begin receive it. No matter. The flu vaccine has been around for how long and still many do not bother getting it. One major question. Will those who will receive the vaccine first be nothing more than guinea pigs? Just because you get the vaccine will that mean you are no longer able to give or get the covid19 ?  Will we all be safe to cruise then? So many questions. Will the CDC stop all cruises till everyone gets the vaccine? So many questions and no real answers.

The front line workers will be first. When a vaccine shows up, it will only be a tool, it won't be a miracle. I doubt it will ever be mandatory as far as cruising goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The front line workers will be first. When a vaccine shows up, it will only be a tool, it won't be a miracle. I doubt it will ever be mandatory as far as cruising goes.

People won’t need to worry about vaccines and cruising because it is going to be a long time before cruises resume from US ports. 

23 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Between now and the end of December. All cruise lines should be able to do the shake down test cruises to pass and get ready to start cruises in January. 

I personally think we would see ships moving and more activity if there was a chance of sailing in January. Especially re carnival with the miami judge thing. 

I'm 70 and hope to get the vaccine but keep hearing front line first, who knows. Yes there are already mutations so it's possible to get it again, though someone said only one documented case, so unlikely. My suburb has done a dry run through for the covid vaccine, with city workers getting the flu vaccine to iron out kinks. And given out the location for when its approved. 

23 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

One major question. Will those who will receive the vaccine first be nothing more than guinea pigs? Just because you get the vaccine will that mean you are no longer able to give or get the covid19 ?  Will we all be safe to cruise then? So many questions. Will the CDC stop all cruises till everyone gets the vaccine? So many questions and no real answers.

No, the guinea pig phases are the trials going on right now.  Once approved, the idea is that all experiments are complete, and it is safe.  (Yes, there are always the occasional mis-step where things go sideways after being approved.)

It is unknown how effective the vaccine is, and we won't know until one or more are fully approved - because the effectiveness (hopefully not just efficacy) will be part of the final results.

No, the availability will not suddenly make it safe to cruise again, unless it is close to 100% effective and close to 100% of population immunized.  

I doubt the CDC will make the use of a vaccine a requirement to cruise (assuming there is an effective one), but they might strongly recommend it, though.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I doubt the CDC will make the use of a vaccine a requirement to cruise (assuming there is an effective one), but they might strongly recommend it, though.

Considering the CDC will be reinstating no sail orders in the near future, the vaccine issue will be irrelevant.  

Hey all, quick question. I was originally booked in a sailing departing 3/21/20, right as cruises were first canceled because of the pandemic. The original offer said you had to book by 12/31/20. 

Later, it changed to book by 5/31/21 because cruises kept getting cancelled (and still are!). I recall seeing somewhere on Carnival’s that this new book by date was extended to those who were on earlier canceled cruises to. I don’t see that exact wording anymore.

A PVP reached out to me tonight saying I needed to book by 12/31/20 but think he is mistaken. Is anyone else in a similar situation who knows whether the book by date is 12/31/20 or is 5/31/21 for all?

Thanks!