The Daily for Saturday Nov 7, 2020

richwmn

today is Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day, Book Lovers Day, and Hug a Bear Day

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Meal suggestion for today - Lamb Chops With Roasted Potatoes and Radishes

Drink of the Day - Manhattan

Wine of the day - Nervi Conterno Gattinara vintage 2015

Sint Eustatius
Oosterdam

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1107World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I'm more of a Dark Chocolate guy but almonds sure are a nice touch. Cheers to books, and huggable bears.  I like the quote and the menu selection but my alternate is Chilled Roasted Peach Soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Raspberry Sundae, as served on the Prinsendam October 7, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes07.jpg?

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Cruisin single’s county

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

South Florida and Eta

Patience and healing for the USA

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Great weather in Southern Ontario

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Ballot counters

Norseh20's planned family get-together

And Mrs Vmax excellent checkup

I'm not sure and didn't post it in the shoutouts but was yesterday @sail7seas first post to the Daily?

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the update gentleman.   Chocolate ok,  books awesome, hug a bear, I would rather hug my new puppy. Anyway both menus sound great!  Prayers to tge care list and cheers for the celebrations!!!   I am also sending a prayer to my area that we do not get wacked by this hurricane!     COME ON NEW YEARS DAY 2021!!

P_20201104_123004_HDR.jpg

• Like 21

Good morning Dailyites.

Love the maps.

Great quote.

Bittersweet chocolate and almonds sounds great - so does a Manhattan. Yum.

I don't have any bears to hug, but I will hug my lover. 

I'd love to hug and play with that cute puppy @Hflors.

It's another unseasonable mild day here, no complaints. 

Sending prayers for everyone and I'll drink a toast to all celebrate.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 10

Book lovers day! Yeah. My husband says I don’t read books I devour them! I have many favourite authors but my favourite Canadian author is Louise Penny who lives in the eastern townships of Quebec and uses the area as the backdrop for her Inspector Gamache series. We had the opportunity to visit the “Three Pines” area last fall.

030489EB-9365-4F2F-988F-173ABDC8790E.jpeg

• Like 15

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Who doesn’t like chocolate & almonds or a good book? 🙂  The only bears i hug are teddy bears.  Hugging a live one is not recommended 😉 

LOL on that quote.  That can certainly apply to me sometimes 😉 

Lamb chops sound great!  Wish I had some on hand.  If I luck into some today, I’ll get them.

A Manhattan is a memory of mine with my Mum and Dad.  They would have one and chat in the evening after a long day’s work.

All my dahlia, canna, calla, begonia et al bulbs were finally dry enough so I bit the bullet, lugged them all back out onto the deck and proceeded to treat them and store them in their containers with the wood chips.  7 containers of babies have been put to bed and are now packed away downstairs for next year.

Today is more outside work, more clean up and getting my spring bulbs planted.  The squirrels seem to like the tulip bulbs so I guess I won’t have any of those next year 😞 but I do have lots of other spring bulbs to get in.

@Hflorsyour puppy looks so sweet.  Looks like you will soon after your own wireless doorbell 😉 :

B75A84DE-AB1D-4292-97C6-7C2068F6A999.jpeg.5800ce973a7309fd542e4e8ca0fe8269.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and for all who need them and a tip of the hat to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.😷 

• Like 19

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all our wonderful dailyites.

Not a fan of bittersweet chocolate but love all the others.  Hug my cat instead of a bear and my hubby says he can always tell when we have a cruise coming up since books arrive in quantity.  Current series for our March cruises is The Cat Who....by Lillian Jackson Braun.  30 books to take on our 21 day cruises.

The quote is interesting and does really apply to me.

Not fond of lamb but will have leftovers from the Pork Loin I put in the crock pot yesterday.

Manhattan:

Ingredients: 2 oz Rye or Canadian whisky, 3/4 oz Sweet red vermouth, Dash Angostura bitters, Maraschino cherry (Garnish)
Preparation: Stirred over ice, strained into a chilled glass, garnished, and served straight up.
Served: Straight up; without ice

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  The numbers are rising again.😷
  • Like 16

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for keeping our lists for us, I know Sail has posted to the Daily at least once before. But it has been awhile. 

A stellar combo of days! Dark chocolate with almonds is so healthy for us, it is almost medicinal!  Love a good book, thank you @superoma, I will look into that series. And @kazu, I agree never hug a real bear!

The minute I read the quote, I took a more serious view. I have been saying something similar for almost four years about someone else. 

My Mom’s oldest Sister’s drink of choice was a Manhattan. I do not believe I ever tasted one, but....

@Hflors, congrats on your new family member! Adorable! I hope Eta does not cause you & @summer slopeany harm. I will get rain and some wind, but do not expect hurricane force wind. But I know how quickly that can change. I had originally planned to evacuate for Irma, but then she changed her course. Be safe!

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers for all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

Count every vote!

Another red from Piedmont, Italy with Excellent ratings! I found it online for $39.99.

#36 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

A rich red, exuding licorice, cherry, strawberry, floral and spice flavors, followed by iron and tobacco notes. Intense and harmonious, with excellent grip and a lingering aftertaste. Pair with pasta and rice main courses (first and foremost, risotto), red meats, lamb, game and aged cheeses.

WS94

Wine Spectator: Haunting aromas of rose, wild cherry, kirsch, mineral and leather are the hallmarks of this silky, elegant red, which is linear and balanced, extending on the finish with notes of fruit, spice, mineral and tobacco. Very harmonious. Drink now through 2033.
  • Like 16

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s another beautiful sunny  day supposed to be near 70 again and also tomorrow. 
Yesterday was spent at the outdoor Christmas market in Bethlehem Pa  It’s not as big other years but it was nice.

I bought a bottle of wine from a local winery that  smells and tastes like COTTON CANDY.   The wine is called Carnival 🎡 
I’m having a Turkey dinner tonight from one of the country churches. This year it’s drive thru . They normally serve several hundred people. 
        Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 11

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  @richwmnyou had me at chocolate.  I've always been a book lover, but the last few years have switched to e-books and now can literally carry a thousand with me on my iPad mini.  I don't have a bear to hug, but I'm pretty sure our Ragdoll, Sochi will be a good (and safe) substitute.

Great menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for lamb.  I love Roy's alternate menu, especially the chilled roasted peach soup.  @Seasick SailorI tried out our air-fryer toaster oven and made the crispiest wings and fries ever!  I think it's going to see a lot of use, especially over the holidays!

Today we're hunkering down in preparation for our first snowstorm of the year.  We filled the BBQ propane tank in case the power goes out (gotta make coffee somehow!), and did a grocery run yesterday.  Today will be spent indoors, making masks, listening to great music, and being safe.  Also in the plans are making Russian Borscht (cabbage, not beet), and a batch of buns.  Borscht and buns are what's on the dinner menu tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who need them, and even for those who don't think the do.  Special prayers for all in the path of the hurricane.  Raising our glasses tonight for those on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing! 

Gerry 

• Like 15

Good morning Rich, thank you for a great Daily. Love the quote and agree with Ann, I've thought in that direction as well.

Good morning my adorable sisters! ❤️

Ann, the wine sounds like a guys night out.. leather, tobacco, iron.. although I like the "intensely harmonious"

Roy, I agree with Denise, you should make an album of your beautiful sunrise and sunsets. 

Yesterday was Allen's eye exam day. All went well, thank goodness. I wanted oysters for lunch but Allen wanted Italian. Today we have Farmer's Market, so I'll get my oysters after.

Dinner tonight will probably be chicken and veggies. I am putting Covid pounds back on again, and need to step back from too many goodies.

Wishing all a great weekend. Stay calm, we will know soon who our next president will be. Pray for our nation and one another.

• Like 13

Good Morning All,

We’ve been having the chicken Bella suggested at the beginning of the week, and enjoying it. Told DH I planned to make it for Sunday with @ger_77’s Hasselback potatoes (which I had never heard of) when Dad comes. DH said he didn’t like them. (What? He didn’t know what they were....). So I made them last night.... guess what- he really liked them and was surprised when I told him what they were.  So thanks to folks on this thread, I’m building up some new recipes.

We were supposed to get heavy rain all weekend, and wunderground says we’re getting heavy rain now. Not. The station is about 3/4 miles from here, and all the other stations show current heavy rain. Somehow I have  a hard time believing that.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

A stellar combo of days! Dark chocolate with almonds is so healthy for us, it is almost medicinal!  Love a good book, thank you @superoma, I will look into that series. And @kazu, I agree never hug a real bear!The minute I read the quote, I took a more serious view. I have been saying something similar for almost four years about someone else. 
Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers for all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

If you do decide to read the series reading them in order makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all and happy Saturday.  Thanks to Roy, Rich and all who contribute to this thread.  I am not a fan of bittersweet chocolate but I am an avid reader and there are a few of DD’s bears still here that I could hug.  It is going to be a glorious day here so DH suggested steaks on the barbecue, I will take his suggestion and pass on the lamb.  Have a great day and my best to all.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Okay. So NOW we have heavy rain. And there’s a definite salty aroma with it. Like the sea.

Wasn’t that something this am!!!! 😳 WOW!

We woke up at 4:37 and we have never had rain like that, that we can remember!

Thank goodness we brought all outdoor furniture in. The sound with the rain was something.! Love your video! Thanks TIOGACRUISER. 
Have a good weekend 

Denise😊

• Like 9