The Daily for Monday Nov 9, 2020

richwmn

today is Chaos Never Dies Day, World Freedom Day, and Go to an Art Museum Today Day

"Uncle Cosmo ... why do they call this a word processor?"

"It's simple, Skyler ... you've seen what food processors do to food, right?"
        -- MacNelley, "Shoe"

Rule of the Great:
    When people you greatly admire appear to be thinking deep thoughts, they probably are thinking about lunch.

Meal suggestion for today - Wild Rice-and-Cider-Cranberry Pilaf

Drink of the Day - Whiskey Sour

Wine of the day - Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna San Lorenzo vintage 2016

at sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Kralendijk, Bonaire

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1109World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love those quotes.

Great maps.

I'd love a Whisky Sour, thanks for the suggestion.

The dinner suggestion sounds interesting, I may google that.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

So sorry to hear about Alex Trebek's passing. 

Sending prayers to heal our world. 

Stay safe.

• Like 10

Good morning everyone.

Interesting combo of days, Chaos Never Dies and World Freedom.  Would love to go to an Art Museum but aren't going anywhere yet.

The quotes are great!

Love the menu suggestion, will have to see if I have Cranberries in the freezer.

Whiskey Sour:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Bourbon whiskey, 1 dash egg white, 1 oz (2 parts) Fresh lemon juice, 1/2 oz (1 part) Gomme syrup
Preparation: Shake with ice. Strain into ice-filled old-fashioned glass to serve "on the rocks."
Served: Shaken; on the rocks
Standard garnish: Lemon rind, Maraschino cherry, Orange slice, Sugared glass

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.  Safe days for middle/southern Florida.  Steady rain all night here, schools were closed as a precaution.

Stay safe, social distance, and please please wear your mask.
  • Like 14

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Sounds like Erewhon had a nice getaway and glad to see him posting again.  Interesting selection of quotes, days, and the meal suggestion sounds interesting also.  My alternate meal suggestion is Classic Caesar Salad, Lamb Chop with Mint Chimichurri, and Dutch Apple Pie, as served on the Prinsendam October 9,  2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes09.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

South Florida, Panhandle and Eta

Patience and healing for the USA

RIP Alex Trebec

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Norseh20's planned family get-together

And a Great Remembrance Sunday tribute by Westerdam, Volendam, Zaandam, Nieuw Statendam, and Emerald Princess.

Roy                                

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What a great assortment of days; here on the "frozen tundra", chaos reigns. 

I'd love to go to an art gallery, but we're stuck in our house.  Literally, stuck in our house.  We had freezing rain, and then a major blizzard, and we can't get our front door open.  At this point, we can't tell where the sidewalk ends and the driveway or street begins, because it's all blown in.  Our city is at a standstill right now with vehicles stranded all over the place; an emergency call went out last night for anyone with a snowmobile to venture out and help the motorists stuck on the streets.  I don't know what will happen today, as we're having a civic election - fortunately DH and I voted by mail-in ballot a couple of weeks ago!

The snow developed such a hard crust that the neighbour (who thought he was going to do us a favour) almost had a heart attack trying to chop through the frozen layer.  He called to say he'd get us out (from the house and from the snowdrifts on our driveway) this morning using his snowblower.  Thankfully we've got enough food (and wine) to carry us through a few months!  LOL   Today will be spent sewing masks, a good way to spend a snowy, cold, stuck-in-the-house kind of day.

Love the menu suggestions, but we'll be having leftovers from our slow-cooker chicken dinner from last night.  And wine, lots of wine! 

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our glasses to all who are on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! You have restored World order with your maps! Love today’s combo of days, though the first two are easier to celebrate than the last one.

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another red wine today. Stay safe my fellow Floridians, who are South & West of me. We already have had a couple rain bands, and the day has a squally feel about it, but I am well out of the worst of it.

Love the quotes, though these days you could replace “word processor” with “autocorrect”. The meal sounds delicious- as a side dish. Pop some protein in there, and I would be happy. I too, would enjoy a whiskey sour - on a ship. I am certain I do not have “Gomme syrup”. Heck, I have never even heard of it. Google will help!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Sicilian red blend has excellent ratings, and a price just outside of my budget at $60. But it is “chewy”, so it must be well worth the price!

#9 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The Etna Rosso San Lorenzo comes from 10 acres of vineyards in the town of Randazzo. The vines are more than 70 years old growing on almost pure volcanic sand at an altitude of 2500 feet above sea level. The wine from this cru is particularly rich, fruity and has very soft tannins, making it velvety and voluptuous on the palate.

WS95

Wine Spectator

Ripe black cherry and raspberry fruit meets tarry mineral and accents of licorice, spiced orange peel and herb in this chewy, medium-bodied red. The bold flavor and structure are deftly knit into a graceful and harmonious package, with the spice and mineral character lingering on the finish. Best from 2020 through 2030.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am certain I do not have “Gomme syrup”. Heck, I have never even heard of it. Google will help!

I had to Google that one too. Here's the quick definition: 

'Gomme sirop' or 'gum syrup' is sugar syrup with the addition of gum arabic, the crystallised sap of the acacia tree, which adds mouth-feel and smoothness to some drinks. Along with ethanol alcohol sugar is the most used ingredient in all cocktails.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What a great assortment of days; here on the "frozen tundra", chaos reigns. Thankfully we've got enough food (and wine) to carry us through a few months!  LOL  

Gerry

Good thing you were prepared, Gerry. But clearly, there is a role for Saint Bernard dogs to deliver wine to people who are frozen inside their houses.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I had to Google that one too. Here's the quick definition: 

'Gomme sirop' or 'gum syrup' is sugar syrup with the addition of gum arabic, the crystallised sap of the acacia tree, which adds mouth-feel and smoothness to some drinks. Along with ethanol alcohol sugar is the most used ingredient in all cocktails.

Good grief - it adds “mouth-feel”!

The same people who write wine descriptions wrote this!

Thank you for sharing this!

• Like 6

@ger_77 I'm glad to hear you are well prepared for being snowed in at your house.  As for the snowmobiles, when we lived in Michigan many years ago my DH drove his to work one blizzardy day.  Most cars couldn't make it so the streets were safe.  I hope you have a thaw real soon!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello and good morning Rich, Daily-ites, my sisters, and all who contribute to our Daily.

Thank you Rich for your time. I really like the mapping.

We had a delicious rib eye last night with potatoes, green beans and tomatoes. I'm still full.

Tonight is Allen's choice and it is southern. Surprise, surprise..

Ann.. chewy wine??

"Chaos never dies day"

Thinking about everyone this morning going through snow storms, hurricane and aftermath, illness, tornadoes and earthquakes. Throw in covid and 2020 is a disaster year..

World Freedom Day is a relatively new holiday for the US. I believe George (W) Bush declared back in '91.

I love museums! I grew up near Chicago and couldn't wait til I could get back to the museums there.

Top Ten Things Not to do in a Museum | Cartoon jokes, Dog jokes, Funny dog  jokes

Everyone have a good, safe, non-chaotic day. Pray for our nation to heal. God bless!

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a combination of days!  World Freedom is certainly worthy of celebration.  I think it’s been Chaos never dies year.  It doesn’t need a day 😉 

I love both those quotes.

Meal suggestion would be good but no fresh cranberries at this time of year.  We had a lovely ham last night so I suspect it will be leftover tonight 😉 

@ger_77 wow,  you really got hit 😞  Glad you have the essentials (especially wine 😉 ) so you can stay in until the mess is cleaned up.  So Sorry to hear it’s that bad. 😢 

We are expecting warmer weather today so, as long as the rain holds off, we’ll be trying to finish our yard work today.  Still leaves to come down but we’ll clean what we can while the weather is good.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for all those who need them.  A toast for everyone on the Celebratory/Shout Out list as well as one for Pfizer who announced promising, hopeful news.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Sounds like Erewhon had a nice getaway and glad to see him posting again.  Interesting selection of quotes, days, and the meal suggestion sounds interesting also.  My alternate meal suggestion is Classic Caesar Salad, Lamb Chop with Mint Chimichurri, and Dutch Apple Pie, as served on the Prinsendam October 9,  2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes09.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

South Florida, Panhandle and Eta

Patience and healing for the USA

RIP Alex Trebec

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Norseh20's planned family get-together

And a Great Remembrance Sunday tribute by Westerdam, Volendam, Zaandam, Nieuw Statendam, and Emerald Princess.

Roy                                

I missed the Remembrane on Sunday.  Roy, I liked the alternate meal suggestion.

• Like 3

Good morning from  blustery Florida.  Crossing Tampa Bay on the bridge yesterday, there were plenty of white caps.  We drove by the cruise terminals, which on a normal Sunday in November, would be a bee hive of activity, but were quiet.  With this mornings announcement about the vaccine, hopefully the 

resumption of cruising is nearer.  Sadly, I don't see Holland America Line returning to Tampa anytime soon with the smaller fleet.  With Key West probably removed from the Tampa accessible ports, even less likely.  

Yesterdays loss of Alex Trebek was indeed deeply felt.  He was such an inspiration, as was Jeopardy, for me for 37 years as an educational means  of gaining knowledge in an enjoyable format.  I delighted in knowing the answers gained from my travels!  It didn't hurt that he had Canadian roots, too.

• Like 13

Good morning all.  Another beautiful day in Southern Ontario and a few more to follow, until I suspect we might get the weather that @ger_77 just posted about.  The quotes are good ones (as always), they do get you thinking.  It's leftovers for us tonight and I know that DH would not like the meal suggestion.  I am not a fan of whiskey so a pass on that, but it is nice to read the recipe.  

have a great Monday, my best to all.

• Like 10

Greeting for Colorado. Woke up this morning to light snow and a cold wind. The dogs completed their business in record time and were happy to head for home. Storm will move out this afternoon. We are grateful for any moisture.... but I am glad I am not having to worry about trying to get out of the house.

Meals look good.... tonight it will be salmon for me. I am trying to get my freezer cleared out before a restock is in order. On a side note, paper products seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate off store shelves - I suspect here many people are anticipating another major shut down.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
typos
  • Like 8