Celebrity Cruises Introduces New "Always Included" Pricing

yvrdave

3 minutes ago, jryansales said:

I’m sure I’ll get some hate for this...but I’m in my early thirties and super loyal to Celebrity (we enjoy being the young ones on the boat;)...)

I think this is a great move for Celebrity. It is basically what they’ve already been doing with a bit more transparency. Their prices will likely go up (compared to the sale and “go better/best”), but at the end of the day we all know the service is unparalleled compared to RCL, Norwegian, Costa, etc. And, they’re doing something different than Princess and Holland America...

We’ll still be on their cruises and I hope we’ll still be the young ones on board:)

Dude, no hate from here!  I am 60, well for at least another 48 days...but you are spot on!  Celebrity, in my opinion, has made a very wise marketing decision.  Don't wait until the guys my age have moved on, do the best best to keep us happy (and they do, LOVE Celebrity) , offer a fantastic product, but also focus on the future cruisers.  Clearly they have connected with folks in your age group, brilliant on their part.  Hope to see you on-board one day, if so, allow me to buy you a pre-paid complimentary drink!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

As everyone has said, book what you want under what ever circumstances you want.

The last thing any consumer should do is to be "loyal" to any service provider, without automatically examining the value offered by the competition.

Having retired from marketing - in our corporate boardroom we had a big picture with the words "Obedient Consumer, We Love You". In each meeting we saluted the sign.

Yep, you Obedient Consumers provided much consistent revenue to our corporate clients despite their constant activities of downgrading. 

But none of us were loyal to any service provider, even though many of us are retired, we keep in touch and we share stories of various companies trying to screw the consumer. I always provide Celebrity as an example and Celebrity is consistently in the top 5 of our hit list.

The old saying remains totally valid today "There Is A Sucker Born Every Minute" - yes that is true.

Don't be loyal to a service provider, OK.  But you and your colleagues, loyally "saluted the sign" big sign, be it on foam core on an easel, or written on a white board.  Glad you are retired, jeez sounds so familiar right now.  Flock of sheep, I'd never survive at a company where I had to compromise my values, though sounds like you happily did so, saluting a sign, JEEZ!!!!...i.e. NO..... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Don't be loyal to a service provider, OK.  But you and your colleagues, loyally "saluted the sign" big sign, be it on foam core on an easel, or written on a white board.  Glad you are retired, jeez sounds so familiar right now.  Flock of sheep, I'd never survive at a company where I had to compromise my values, though sounds like you happily did so, saluting a sign, JEEZ!!!!...i.e. NO..... 

Basically it is knowing where your bread is buttered. Over the years I have had to chant or recite some ridiculous moral builder phrase that someone brought back from a meeting with an outside consulting firm ( the business end of marketing). They didn't work we just rolled our eyes and thought wow a lot of wasted time and money. Nobody bought into it except the top executives who suggested hiring the consulting firm. Today that business is bankrupt but the consulting firm lives on. For 24 years we chanted that company cheer at every meeting held in store and in the home office. The business owner probably still believes that he is number 1.

Has far as loyalty programs go. I don't buy into them. I am only loyal to myself and if the product no longer works for me I move on. In terms of cruising I like different cruise lines for different reasons and I choose based on need and not because they give me a free gelato or a free load of laundry.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

As everyone has said, book what you want under what ever circumstances you want.

The last thing any consumer should do is to be "loyal" to any service provider, without automatically examining the value offered by the competition.

Having retired from marketing - in our corporate boardroom we had a big picture with the words "Obedient Consumer, We Love You". In each meeting we saluted the sign.

Yep, you Obedient Consumers provided much consistent revenue to our corporate clients despite their constant activities of downgrading. 

But none of us were loyal to any service provider, even though many of us are retired, we keep in touch and we share stories of various companies trying to screw the consumer. I always provide Celebrity as an example and Celebrity is consistently in the top 5 of our hit list.

The old saying remains totally valid today "There Is A Sucker Born Every Minute" - yes that is true.

This may be an affliction in smaller companies in which it's mandatory to play "follow the leader" to keep your job.  Having worked for a multi-national in the lofty ivory tower, and experienced corporate life and it's never-ending meetings, what you say re 'signs' and 'salutes' would have had someone fired!  You retired from the sales/marketing side and seem to embrace, relish, and ascribe to these sayings.  We know they exist, old school, but after all the world has experienced these past many years, it's time to put these sayings to bed and happily 'retire' those who quote them.  I have to add, seeing you're writing from Toronto, what you say you experienced is a very 'un-Canadian' attitude.

Edited by Oceangoer2

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Basically it is knowing where your bread is buttered. Over the years I have had to chant or recite some ridiculous moral builder phrase that someone brought back from a meeting with an outside consulting firm ( the business end of marketing). They didn't work we just rolled our eyes and thought wow a lot of wasted time and money. Nobody bought into it except the top executives who suggested hiring the consulting firm. Today that business is bankrupt but the consulting firm lives on. For 24 years we chanted that company cheer at every meeting held in store and in the home office. The business owner probably still believes that he is number 1.

Has far as loyalty programs go. I don't buy into them. I am only loyal to myself and if the product no longer works for me I move on. In terms of cruising I like different cruise lines for different reasons and I choose based on need and not because they give me a free gelato or a free load of laundry.

If your company's staff had to chant the same phrase for 24 years, it's no wonder it's bankrupt.  No change, no growth.  I feel for those who must compromise their values, but understand to 'keep my job, play the game', but move on if possible.

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

If your company's staff had to chant the same phrase for 24 years, it's no wonder it's bankrupt.  No change, no growth.  I feel for those who must compromise their values, but understand to 'keep my job, play the game', but move on if possible.

There were different chants and cheers over the years but all implied the same thing just like Celebrity's and other cruise line marketing themes.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

There were different chants and cheers over the years but all implied the same thing just like Celebrity's and other cruise line marketing themes.

I only quoted from your text "For 24 years we chanted that company cheer at every meeting held in store and in the home office."  Sorry if I misunderstood.

10 hours ago, jryansales said:

I’m sure I’ll get some hate for this...but I’m in my early thirties and super loyal to Celebrity (we enjoy being the young ones on the boat;)...)

I think this is a great move for Celebrity. It is basically what they’ve already been doing with a bit more transparency....

We’ll still be on their cruises and I hope we’ll still be the young ones on board:)

I'm also a late millennial, though I would describe celebrity as one of my preferred lines rather than being loyal. This change is good from my point of view, we generally prefer the experience of the cheaper cabins on higher-tier cruise lines, and mostly cruise with a drinks package. Of course if the price goes to where I can add a package on to other lines offering a similar experience for less I'll probably do that instead, but that mostly hasn't been the case with their existing offers.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There were different chants and cheers over the years but all implied the same thing 

In any Company there is only one chant that will stand the test of time and survival :

" KEEP THE PIANO RINGING !!!! "

• Like 1

A new approach to a business acumen, certainly not unheard of and certainly not intended as an affront to “loyalty.” So you spent a boat load of money over the years, so what. Celebrity never promised you a rose garden. Rather, they promised you good value for the money, in different forms of payment for different choices. Would we be vehemently discussing this today had we not succumbed to previous marketing strategies and sales promotions? Self-proclaimed entitlement can render one oblivious to the real world.

It’s always good to find a bargain and take advantage of a promotion that keeps money in our pockets. Change the marketing strategy and all hell breaks loose. Talk of scams, company disloyalty, reduced perks etc. infiltrates discussions. Unappreciated cruisers feel the need to jump ship, kind of a “Black Sails” mentality seeking acceptance elsewhere.

Whereas I do respect ones right to question the motives of Celebrity, or any other cruise line, I certainly do not agree with all the negative comments. However X decides to market their product is fine with me. As long as the product continues to satisfy the vacation needs that matter most to me, my money is on them. I have garnered enough points over the years to earn some privileges. If a new business initiative renders those privileges null and void, I take no offense to that. I’ll get on the boat with no privileges as long as my experience continues to be  worth the expense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

In any Company there is only one chant that will stand the test of time and survival :

" KEEP THE PIANO RINGING !!!! "

When I think of all of the silly acronyms and phrases that I had to endure over the years when all that needed to be done was to get the merchandise to the selling floor and help the customer to generate sales. To bad they had to cut payroll constantly to pay for all of the consulting fees.  

18 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I’ll get on the boat with no privileges as long as my experience continues to be  worth the expense.

I've said the same thing for days--- 

However, at this point I'm not sure Celebrity will offer an alternative to the AI Marketing Program.

Some people don't drink liquor , don't need access to wifi and are not willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

A new approach to a business acumen, certainly not unheard of and certainly not intended as an affront to “loyalty.” So you spent a boat load of money over the years, so what. Celebrity never promised you a rose garden. Rather, they promised you good value for the money, in different forms of payment for different choices.

Please don't confuse the negative comments regarding "loyalty" with the loyalty rewards (two entirely different things) that Celebrity did indeed promise us over the years in recognition of the boat loads of money we may  have spent. We are not loyal to any one particular line, but we have accumulated some rewards along the way with Celebrity, that now everyone will receive when they purchase a cruise.

It remains to be seen if X will come up with some new incentives to replace the ones lost.

21 minutes ago, sippican said:

Please don't confuse the negative comments regarding "loyalty" with the loyalty rewards (two entirely different things) that Celebrity did indeed promise us over the years in recognition of the boat loads of money we may  have spent. We are not loyal to any one particular line, but we have accumulated some rewards along the way with Celebrity, that now everyone will receive when they purchase a cruise.

It remains to be seen if X will come up with some new incentives to replace the ones lost.

No confusion at all. Loyalty and loyalty rewards go together, like birds of a feather. If you don't remain loyal, you don't get additional rewards edging you higher up the loyalty ladder. Celebrity sold us a solid product through  attractive promotions that just happened to strike our fancy. They never promised to be our BFF to infinity with no change in a perks-for-pay marketing strategy. I see nothing personal here in whatever Celebrity decides is best for them. And remember, it can't be best for X if it is not also best for the customer, whether we see it or not. No matter our individual feelings, future cruising will happen only if it works for all.

When vision blurs at the tip of your nose, adjust your line of sight in order to see the opportunities at arms length. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, ECCruise said:

Pretty weak analogy, IMHO.

I pay school tax and watch children which I don't have become educated.  That is a big win for me.

Paying for someone's booze package so they can overdrink, not so much.  Or so they can go on an overpriced and not as satisfactory shore excursion, ditto.

Over 30 =X= cruises and putting hundreds of thousands of $ in their pockets but unless I can find a way around this pricing strategy, no  mas.

Retired at the age of 44 by never spending stupid money.  Not about to start now to go on a cruise.

Just want to thank you for all those drinks! 

• Haha 2

Celebrity's Loyalty Strategy made a big change when  the included Suite Perks were  often much better than Loyalty Perks.  In many instances, suite guests  were treated as more valued ( profitable) customers than those who had   advanced" loyalty" status..even the Zeniths!

On one of our EDGE cruises it was very noticeable on the part of the asst CD,  to the point of being cringeworthy.. just so much sucking up folks can bear!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

Celebrity's Loyalty Strategy made a big change when  the included Suite Perks were  often much better than Loyalty Perks.  In many instances, suite guests  were treated as more valued ( profitable) customers than those who had   advanced" loyalty" status..even the Zeniths!

On one of our EDGE cruises it was very noticeable on the part of the asst CD,  to the point of being cringeworthy.. just so much sucking up folks can bear!

Profit is the name of the game.  For what we are paying for a suite I expect to be pampered and noticed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

Much like airline Loyalty Perks (free checked bags, boarding priority, etc)  if your flying in the Main Cabin your loyalty perks are good  not as good as those flying 1st Class and paying more.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Much like airline Loyalty Perks (free checked bags, boarding priority, etc)  if your flying in the Main Cabin your loyalty perks are good  not as good as those flying 1st Class and paying more.  

As it should be. To reach Zenith or for that matter any loyalty status level, one has to take a large number of cruises. And within that number of cruises, the cruiser not only receieved the benefit of a vacation, they were swooned, serviced & pampered along the way.  It's unfortunate but Loyalty Programs create a 'kiss the ring' mentality among most the loyals, in this case, cruisers. The "I'm a ________ . " (fill in the blank loyalty level) always seems to be within reach when an issue goes that does not favor them. Bottomline, if you want the suite life, buy the suite life. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

As it should be. To reach Zenith or for that matter any loyalty status level, one has to take a large number of cruises. And within that number of cruises, the cruiser not only receieved the benefit of a vacation, they were swooned, serviced & pampered along the way.  It's unfortunate but Loyalty Programs create a 'kiss the ring' mentality among most the loyals, in this case, cruisers. The "I'm a ________ . " (fill in the blank loyalty level) always seems to be within reach when an issue goes that does not favor them. Bottomline, if you want the suite life, buy the suite life. 

And I really love when they say: "we are elite, elite+, zenith and have been on x number of cruises, so we know what's what!

• Like 1

Maybe not the most interesting fact, but Celebrity has put the travel agent FAQ on their "public" website. But there are NO other indicators on their public website about the upcoming change from Sail Your Way to Always Included, only this FAQ site: https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/always-included. It looks like they literally copy-pasted the TA FAQ, so for the normal "end user", some of the text may not make much sense.