Cell Phone Required?

nanrandy

I just read an article on Cruise Critic about the changes in cruising, whenever things restart.  It sounds like Royal Caribbean is moving lots of functions to the cell phone, such as the daily newsletter, restaurant reservations, check in, boarding pass, room key card, etc.

Has anyone heard what they expect those of us that don't have cell phones to do?  Or is a cell phone going to be a requirement for cruising.

Randy

I think you will eventually have to break down and get one. They also mentioned that the items will be shown on the stateroom TV. 

I didn't really want to get a cell phone either, but there are so many things nowadays that they are necessary for. I still don't turn mine on much. But in this pandemic age, you need to call the dentist or vet or doctor from your car when you arrive for your appointment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There will be options for those without a phone.    Not everyone in the world has a cell phone.   

there is word they will offer disposable one time use paper menus, you would probably receive the same basic sea pass for room key, not sure about daily newsletter but there is a safe way to produce and distribute to those that don't use the app on the phone.     I personally like having the newsletter so I can highlight or mark up what I want to do so I don't forget.   

I am sure you'll be fine without a cell phone. 

• Like 5

I only use my iPhone for some calls when I'm not near my land line, text messages send & receive and taking pictures. I'm not interested in adding Apps. I'm old school and don't want to be forced into tech things that I'm not comfortable with.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I only use my iPhone for some calls when I'm not near my land line, text messages send & receive and taking pictures. I'm not interested in adding Apps. I'm old school and don't want to be forced into tech things that I'm not comfortable with.

Good point!  Many people already have problems connecting to RCCL's internet or apps.  This could really be a problem for "old schoolers."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, nanrandy said:

I just read an article on Cruise Critic about the changes in cruising, whenever things restart.  It sounds like Royal Caribbean is moving lots of functions to the cell phone, such as the daily newsletter, restaurant reservations, check in, boarding pass, room key card, etc.

Has anyone heard what they expect those of us that don't have cell phones to do?  Or is a cell phone going to be a requirement for cruising.

Randy

Don't worry about it. Having a smart phone is only another option. A lot of restaurants we eat at now (post covid) have the option of viewing the menu and paying using a smart phone. We don't so we still get a menu and pay our bill with cash. I still use a laptop. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

If you can work a computer or tablet you can navigate a smartphone. Purchase the one with the same operating system as your tablet or computer.  I just upgraded my 88 year old father from a ten year old flip phone to an iPhone SE. He uses an iPad for virtual Dr visits for my mom as well as YouTube and email so he is familiar with the way apple products work. I deleted the pre downloaded Apps that he wouldn't use and left the basics on the first page.  After a few lessons he is able to do the important basic functions. I wouldn't bother showing him apple pay or downloading any banking apps because he would never be comfortable using them. His biggest surprise was how often the phone had to be charged. He would go a week without having to charge the flip phone. I explained that he wasn't doing anything on the flip phone except making a few calls and a few text messages.  Now I can have full conversations via text without having to abbreviate or limiting my text and when I send pictures he can save them to the phone. 

• Like 2

Spectrum has cheap Samsung phone and unlimited service for $20 and up a month, or you can still buy a years worth of time as you want it. They always got a good black friday deal. I use wifi on a samsung tablet so Samsung smart phone easiest. I'm not really sure how to use it on a cruise. Haven't tried. Tracfone usually has a 1 year deal with lots of minutes and stuff black friday I get, but they add a lot of taxes. 

Spectrum has 1 gig for $14 they say, but I've had tracfone forever. 

I still use my land phone lol. But some games and stuff they have to send you a code. WhatsApp I needed for war room code, some things you just need a cell phone for. 

Using it on a cruise will be something I have to learn. I assume its offline in the app .. I think.

16 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you can work a computer or tablet you can navigate a smartphone. Purchase the one with the same operating system as your tablet or computer.  I just upgraded my 88 year old father from a ten year old flip phone to an iPhone SE. He uses an iPad for virtual Dr visits for my mom as well as YouTube and email so he is familiar with the way apple products work. I deleted the pre downloaded Apps that he wouldn't use and left the basics on the first page.  After a few lessons he is able to do the important basic functions. I wouldn't bother showing him apple pay or downloading any banking apps because he would never be comfortable using them. His biggest surprise was how often the phone had to be charged. He would go a week without having to charge the flip phone. I explained that he wasn't doing anything on the flip phone except making a few calls and a few text messages.  Now I can have full conversations via text without having to abbreviate or limiting my text and when I send pictures he can save them to the phone. 

The Cruise Critic article generated several other threads by CC members worried they would be required to have a smartphone. What surprises me is that some people on CC who can use a computer; if they don’t have a smartphone they are using a computer or a tablet, don’t get that a smartphone is simply a pocket computer. In any case while a smartphone will be more convenient to have for passengers in the future of cruising there will be options like the cabin TV or kiosks for those who don’t have a smartphone or don’t want to use a smartphone. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The Cruise Critic article generated several other threads by CC members worried they would be required to have a smartphone. What surprises me is that some people on CC who can use a computer; if they don’t have a smartphone they are using a computer or a tablet, don’t get that a smartphone is simply a pocket computer. In any case while a smartphone will be more convenient to have for passengers in the future of cruising there will be options like the cabin TV or kiosks for those who don’t have a smartphone or don’t want to use a smartphone. 

Actually I downloaded the app onto my tablet. If I can use it for war games I'm assuming it will work onboard with the app. .. but I'll have both onboard with me. My tablet is just better and I use it in place of phones ... 10 inch screen and tons of ram for my game. Higher end than smart phone.

I'm thinking my tablet will work and I'm more used to it.

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Spectrum has cheap Samsung phone and unlimited service for $20 and up a month, or you can still buy a years worth of time as you want it. They always got a good black friday deal. I use wifi on a samsung tablet so Samsung smart phone easiest. I'm not really sure how to use it on a cruise. Haven't tried. Tracfone usually has a 1 year deal with lots of minutes and stuff black friday I get, but they add a lot of taxes. 

Spectrum has 1 gig for $14 they say, but I've had tracfone forever. 

I still use my land phone lol. But some games and stuff they have to send you a code. WhatsApp I needed for war room code, some things you just need a cell phone for. 

Using it on a cruise will be something I have to learn. I assume its offline in the app .. I think.

It is not offline in the Royal Caribbean app. You have to be on the WiFi (free WiFi is provided for the app to work) that connects to the server when using the app. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I downloaded the app onto my tablet. If I can use it for war games I'm assuming it will work onboard with the app. .. but I'll have both onboard with me. My tablet is just better and I use it in place of phones ... 10 inch screen and tons of ram for my game. Higher end than smart phone.

I'm thinking my tablet will work and I'm more used to it.

You tablet should work but a smartphone is more convenient if you have pockets. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You tablet should work but a smartphone is more convenient if you have pockets. 

I'm female and other than jeans with pockets, not many pockets. My tablet I have a leather purse like thing with a shoulder strap. Easy peasy. 

My smart phone is in my purse, for emergencies but dont use it much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Don't worry about it. Having a smart phone is only another option. A lot of restaurants we eat at now (post covid) have the option of viewing the menu and paying using a smart phone. We don't so we still get a menu and pay our bill with cash. I still use a laptop. 🤣

I still have a big monitor and a desktop..only use a laptop when we travel....would bring the desktop with me if I could :classic_wink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I still have a big monitor and a desktop..only use a laptop when we travel....would bring the desktop with me if I could :classic_wink:

Me too. I bring the iPad and smartphone when we travel. I watch Apple TV shows on the iPad. 

Edited by Coralc

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a cell phone.  My 82 yr old parents both do and my 88 yr old MIL does too.

Having one and being comfortable with all the options available is different.....and if they can...good for them. I still have to ask my adult children "how do I do this"...I learn something new often.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

There will be options for those without a phone.    Not everyone in the world has a cell phone.   

there is word they will offer disposable one time use paper menus, you would probably receive the same basic sea pass for room key, not sure about daily newsletter but there is a safe way to produce and distribute to those that don't use the app on the phone.     I personally like having the newsletter so I can highlight or mark up what I want to do so I don't forget.   

I am sure you'll be fine without a cell phone. 

I think we're going to need ankle monitors, AKA Wow Bands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BND said:

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a cell phone.  My 82 yr old parents both do and my 88 yr old MIL does too.

We got a cell phone only for our physically disabled adult daughter so she can reach help if she needs it which is great, but we personally don't have a desire to get one.  We decided at one point after retiring and moving to Hawaii that sometimes less is more. We just use a computer for business off-island. We also stopped the newspaper and then cable TV.  Haven't missed them yet - and that was three years ago.  We are not ostriches, and can get news when we want to, but it is nice not to have everything shoved down our throats. YMMV.

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

Having one and being comfortable with all the options available is different.....and if they can...good for them. I still have to ask my adult children "how do I do this"...I learn something new often.

I'm 60 and have had a cell phone for 30+ years.  With each one I learned how to use it.  My mom texts me and uses her phone a lot.  My dad uses his a lot but doesn't text because he doesn't have to.  My grown children have told us about new or better apps, etc. They've had cell phones since they were about 17 and neither have a land line, but we still do.  I use mine to do a lot including order food, pay at point of purchase, etc.  Smart phones are so handy.  We also use it as a GPS.  It doesn't lose signal when I'm surrounded by buildings like my car GPS does.  But, my point was I don't personally know anyone who doesn't have one.

Edited by BND

9 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

The kids have an past model smart phone that is not connected to a carrier. Download what’s app or Google hangouts prior to sailing. You can call aunt Suzy while you have a internet connection in port or with loyalty minutes. 

This thread isn't about calling anyone.  It's about using the phone onboard to access things such as your cabin, news, reservations, etc.  

wave of the future, I mean present.  

I've seen the same thing happening at Disneyworld and Universal theme parks and resorts.  You aren't required to use a phone to open your door, order your food, see your reserved activities... but it has becoming rather inconvenient if you don't use a phone.

• Like 1