New vaccine

hollyjess

Pete14, Have you been told that the trial is being changed ?

A friend in London who is on the Novavax trial down there just emailed this to me after she received a text from their lead doctor.

They're changing to a crossover trial which means they won't unblind til the end. Instead, everyone will be invited back for a further two jabs (placebo people will get the real thing and vice versa). They will get everyone back in within the next month or so for the first of the two jabs and everyone will get 2 with the three week interval.

My husband had the AZ vaccine on Saturday and later that day felt shivery and had a temp during the night. The following day he said that he just wanted to sleep saying he couldn't keep his eyes open, by Monday he was feeling better. My mother had the same vaccine on Sunday and said yesterday that she wasn't sure if she had a headache or not. Just goes to show that different people react differently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

No they are not  after first 4 group 5 is 65 and over, group 6 16-65 in at risk groups and group 7 over 60. Over 50 are group 9.

Correct. I am in the 60-65 group and my predicted date is 7-21 April, after the 16-64 year olds with underlying conditions have had theirs. This group is the biggest at 20million people so it will take some time to do them all. 

Cathy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The next 5 cohorts are all in the group to be completed by the end of March, obviously in order, but as now some parts of the country will vaccinate faster than others.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

No they are not  after first 4 group 5 is 65 and over, group 6 16-65 in at risk groups and group 7 over 60. Over 50 are group 9.

The top quote was my last post about this, and I stand by my comment that after cohorts 1-4 have been vaccinated by mid feb in the first group, the second group of 5 cohorts  including everyone over 50 is planned to be vaccinated next, and the govt hope this will be completed by the end of March.

• Like 1

Re Sir Tom- I did think on hearing his family was with  him that  maybe it meant the end, and obviously that was the case.  Even if you did not approve, I personally am pleased that he did something he had wanted to do, and hopefully did not suffer too much at the end,.

My vaccination saga continues :  at over 80 and over 90 we were obviously sent letters a while ago, did not reply ,and last week had phone calls from NHS England to ask if we wanted to be vaccinated.  Said yes, but felt that it would be very difficult to get DH to a Centre, and maybe we could have it done at home.  The reply was to ring the GP; did so, and they said they have had no info. at all from NHS England, and cannot do anything about arranging a home vaccination.  Bit of a dead end at present, feeling somewhat aggrieved but it is not that important in the great scheme of things.  This is in Newark.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The top quote was my last post about this, and I stand by my comment that after cohorts 1-4 have been vaccinated by mid feb in the first group, the second group of 5 cohorts  including everyone over 50 is planned to be vaccinated next, and the govt hope this will be completed by the end of March.

You may stand by your comment but you are wrong because the next set of 5 groups will like the first 4 go down in priority from 5 to 9 except for the exception of the occasion where some areas might be ahead but they will still go in that order. In general over 50s will be the last of the following 5 groups to be vaccinated as groups 5,6,7 and 8 will be vaccinated before over 50s in group 9.

Edited by majortom10

18 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Re Sir Tom- I did think on hearing his family was with  him that  maybe it meant the end, and obviously that was the case.  Even if you did not approve, I personally am pleased that he did something he had wanted to do, and hopefully did not suffer too much at the end,.

My vaccination saga continues :  at over 80 and over 90 we were obviously sent letters a while ago, did not reply ,and last week had phone calls from NHS England to ask if we wanted to be vaccinated.  Said yes, but felt that it would be very difficult to get DH to a Centre, and maybe we could have it done at home.  The reply was to ring the GP; did so, and they said they have had no info. at all from NHS England, and cannot do anything about arranging a home vaccination.  Bit of a dead end at present, feeling somewhat aggrieved but it is not that important in the great scheme of things.  This is in Newark.

In which case get back to NHS England and explain.  They will then have to arrange another way of getting you both the jag.  In the great scheme of things this is the most important thing at present.  If you do nothing they will do nothing to get you the vaccine.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I have just had a text message from my health centre inviting me for 

my covid jab . I have rung them up advising them my wife is my registered

carer and have both being shielding  for over 14 months together and 

would like a joint appointment for both of us .

I was told not to respond to the text and that way they will ring me and 

sort us out . So it's sit back and wait for the phone call .:classic_smile:

🤞Hope you get a phone call quickly for you both to get the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

🤞Hope you get a phone call quickly for you both to get the vaccine.

Cheers matey and you will be in both our thoughts for your op tomorrow .

You take care and stay safe 

Mr& Mrs K :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do now have a date for a weekend jab, for which I’m very grateful, via the GP rather than the NHS vaccination centre.

The person who called said there was a lot of confusion because all the NHS letters arrived in the post today, and they’re having to waste time trying to avoid people booking twice over. The letter is perfectly clear, but it does help if you can read!

Good news Harry.

Take care.

Graham.

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank is 75 and I'm 73, (74 in April) close in age, but in different groups. A letter arrived for Frank only to book an appointment, but we waited for our surgery to contact him instead. Surprisingly when they did, it was for both of us to go on Saturday. Each surgery will have it's own system for calling up their patients within each group.

Avril

Great news for you both Avril.

Graham

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Graham - you too, particularly tomorrow. It'll be good to be able to put that behind you.  

Harry

Thanks Harry.

It is my good eye which has the macular hole unfortunately.

If it had been my weak eye I might have left it alone.

Graham.

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Cheers matey and you will be in both our thoughts for your op tomorrow .

You take care and stay safe 

Mr& Mrs K :classic_smile:

Thanks to you both.

I will probably be posting while I'm waiting for my op.

I have to check in at the ward at 11.15am.

Graham.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Thank you Lindy.  It's probably just me and low mood at the moment.  I just feel a bit, as I said earlier, overwhelmed.  I'll get over it!  Thanks again.  Jane.x

It's understandable that you get overwhelmed Jane. I read all your posts and sometimes I don't know how you keep going. You are a credit to the NHS and if you need to unload, vent or just chat then your CC friends are all here for 24/7.

Avril

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's understandable that you get overwhelmed Jane. I read all your posts and sometimes I don't know how you keep going. You are a credit to the NHS and if you need to unload, vent or just chat then your CC friends are all here for 24/7.

Avril

Thank you so much Avril. You're very kind to send such a lovely personal message and it has made me feel very touched. Jane.x

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AnnieC said:

There was an excellent question from a member of the public at yesterday's press conference regarding unpaid carers being in a much lower category for the jab than paid ones; pity that anomaly can't be rectified - they all waffled on about how important unpaid carers were, but didn't actually come up with the very easy solution.

As an unpaid carer myself (my wife is a full time wheelchair user) I was very interested in these questions. What they should have said (but didn’t) is that anyone in receipt of Carers Allowance will be vaccinated in group 6, along with all those who are in the clinically vulnerable group. So when my wife is called up, I can get my jab when I take her. The anomaly is that those who care for those in the ‘extremely’ clinically vulnerable group, who are being jabbed now, will have to wait until group 6, which seems a bit daft. Then, of course, there are those who perform caring roles but are not formally recognised as such.

However, much as I want my jab as soon as possible, what they should also have said is that, in the main, unpaid carers look after one person, whereas paid carers are moving around countless people and are therefore many many times more vulnerable personally and extremely likely to spread the disease during the early stages of infection, compared to an unpaid carer. So whilst I am desperate for my jab, I agree with the priority list and that paid carers should be higher up the priority order than me. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

My practice is obviously sticking to the rules, and if that's the rule, so be it.  I'm certainly not going to question it, because they're a fantastically good bunch, with an Outstanding CQC rating, for very good reasons.

You might be finding the same, but the person I spoke to said that it was hugely easier and quicker to deal with the 70+ than the 80+.  Rattling through them was the comment.  A good sign perhaps for all the younger members of this esteemed forum.

Harry

There seems to be two major routes to vaccination roll out.  The national NHS system and the local surgery network.  The national government publicises a time table for the schedule of roll out based on national stocks but realistically they need to time table things to be happening slightly later than is possible to prevent mass complaints.

Meanwhile the local surgeries will be receiving random numbers of vaccine and matching them to their patient lists and examining their staff available to operate a service.  Vaccine storage is another issue. So it seems reasonable to me that if they successfully innoculate all in the earlier groups who want a jab (and some do not for various reasons) it is logical to go through the computer and contact whatever number of patients in the next group you can service.  You are never going to have the exact number of group x turning up exactly in the correct numbers and a pragmatic continuation will be necessary.

Regards John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You may stand by your comment but you are wrong because the next set of 5 groups will like the first 4 go down in priority from 5 to 9 except for the exception of the occasion where some areas might be ahead but they will still go in that order. In general over 50s will be the last of the following 5 groups to be vaccinated as groups 5,6,7 and 8 will be vaccinated before over 50s in group 9.

You are being truly pedantic, I have never tried to imply that cohort 9 would have priority over the others in phase 2, but they are being included in this phase.  The govt say they have vaccine promised for the entire group and that all the over 50s will be vaccinated by the end of March. That is all I have ever said. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Thank you so much Avril. You're very kind to send such a lovely personal message and it has made me feel very touched. Jane.x

Most of us are good listeners and happy to offer support to each other.

Take care you are doing a tremendous job under trying circumstances.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Most of us are good listeners and happy to offer support to each other.

Take care you are doing a tremendous job under trying circumstances.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. I am finding tremendous support on CC. You have all made me so welcome. J.x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1