New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

My husband was given a week's notice out of interest.

My neighbour who's 91, was just contacted an hour ago to go for her jab on Tuesday morning👍

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and they keep thinking the only ones to die are us oldies.  I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and a young man was speaking of himself and his brother, aged mid thirties, both of them.  Both got Covid, went into isolation together.  Brother had really bad cough, worse than his.  In the night he heard his brother was up and called - Are you OK?  Answer yes I'm fine.  Found his brother dead in the morning.  He said with hindsight they should have spoken to 111, but didn't.

Both were fit with no underlying conditions.

That is really sobering Jean, I have heard horror stories locally to us, a lady aged 39 who was fit and had no underlying health conditions died last weekend, and children having to be taken into care because both parents have been hospitalised. I find it unbelievable that some people are so dismissive of covid.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

So glad to hear that Selbourne.  Just to let you know that the second vaccine will also be Pfizer.  There was talk of mixing and matching at one point but the decision now is that your second vaccine has to be by the same manufacturer as the first.  I hope your mum stays well.  Best wishes.  Jane

Thanks Jane. That’s good to know. 

11 minutes ago, nicki-k said:

That is really sobering Jean, I have heard horror stories locally to us, a lady aged 39 who was fit and had no underlying health conditions died last weekend, and children having to be taken into care because both parents have been hospitalised. I find it unbelievable that some people are so dismissive of covid.

These are not one off stories either.  Quite a few youngish people have died, including some nursing staff.  Can't wait to get that vaccine in my arm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nicki-k said:

Must admit I have not come across any member of the public who is dismissive in our area.  One thing is certain though, that the numbers in many areas have been going up sharpish for a while, but Boris delayed doing anything about it, seemingly because of his right wingers who were objecting to severe restrictions in London and the SE.  Even when he eventually clamped down to an extent there, he still left other areas of the country in lower tiers as their numbers started to increase and also allowed the Christmas jolly.

It is far worse for businesses that it had been left so long as will be closed a whole lot longer now.  It is completely catastrophic for the health care staff as well, but this degree of problems were avoidable, which really annoys me.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and they keep thinking the only ones to die are us oldies.  I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and a young man was speaking of himself and his brother, aged mid thirties, both of them.  Both got Covid, went into isolation together.  Brother had really bad cough, worse than his.  In the night he heard his brother was up and called - Are you OK?  Answer yes I'm fine.  Found his brother dead in the morning.  He said with hindsight they should have spoken to 111, but didn't.

Both were fit with no underlying conditions.

I heard recently that the average age of people dying from Covid was mid 80’s, so as an anxious near 56 year old I wondered if I was worrying unduly, but on TV the next day they reported from an intensive care ward at a major London hospital and the average age of covid patients in Intensive care was just 60. They were saying that they are noticing a trend towards younger patients. 

43 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

The latest Covid rates for my local area is 1577.9 😟

Our local area is not doing too bad at the moment compared to many 🤞 732 positive tests and 35 deaths in the last 7 days.

Avril

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our local area is not doing too bad at the moment compared to many 🤞 732 positive tests and 35 deaths in the last 7 days.

Avril

Further down the road our area is  925 positive tests and 28 deaths in the last 7 days.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I heard recently that the average age of people dying from Covid was mid 80’s, so as an anxious near 56 year old I wondered if I was worrying unduly, but on TV the next day they reported from an intensive care ward at a major London hospital and the average age of covid patients in Intensive care was just 60. They were saying that they are noticing a trend towards younger patients. 

A myth seems to have grown up in certain quarters that it’s only a mild illness in younger people.

It’s clear that this is not always the case.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

and mine is 206.  Tremendous difference, but then you may be in a city?

I just checked our numbers using the .gov site a, we are in  the south of the city and have a rate of 261.0, the rate for my friends post code in the north of the city is 350.6 so vastly different rates about 10 miles apart.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Those who are dying will get younger, because the older ones are more scared I think, so probably obey the rules better.

I know that there’s a perception amongst many that the majority of those who flout the rules are young people - and the odd party or whatever that gets media coverage helps feed that belief - but as someone who is neither ‘young’ nor ‘old’ I can honestly say that, from my experience it’s not the case. The young people in our family, and those we have observed, are all over the rules and regulations and are behaving very sensibly indeed. The majority of people we have seen flouting the guidelines have been elderly folk who ‘talk the talk’ when it comes to criticising all the young people yet don’t practice what they preach and seem oblivious to the guidelines when they are ‘on a mission’. On the few occasions I have ventured into a supermarket, I have had countless old people coming well within 2 metres of me and some literally brushing against me in a rush to get in and get out as quickly as they can. I suspect those same people pontificate with others that the spread of the virus is all because of young people! 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I know that there’s a perception amongst many that the majority of those who flout the rules are young people - and the odd party or whatever that gets media coverage helps feed that belief - but as someone who is neither ‘young’ nor ‘old’ I can honestly say that, from my experience it’s not the case. The young people in our family, and those we have observed, are all over the rules and regulations and are behaving very sensibly indeed. The majority of people we have seen flouting the guidelines have been elderly folk who ‘talk the talk’ when it comes to criticising all the young people yet don’t practice what they preach and seem oblivious to the guidelines when they are ‘on a mission’. On the few occasions I have ventured into a supermarket, I have had countless old people coming well within 2 metres of me and some literally brushing against me in a rush to get in and get out as quickly as they can. I suspect those same people pontificate with others that the spread of the virus is all because of young people! 

I was going to say the same thing. The youngsters than I know are being very careful, but I have come across several older people squeezing up close in shops as if social distancing isn’t necessary because they have masks on and also standing too close in pairs or small groups talking on street corners.

I wonder if part of the average age drop is because people like me in our 50’s are doing errands and shopping for our parents who, quite rightly, don’t want to go inside any shops.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 4

Yes I didn't necessarily mean "young" , but it seems to be somewhere in the region of 30-50 year olds who are flouting the rules.  Just heard on our local BBC news that people are being recognised by number plate recognition and when stopped, if they do not have a valid reason to be in the South Hams, then out they go!  Homes that are known to be let during the summer and have people in them are also targetted and if they have come from another area, then they are sent home.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

I agree they are awful and tragic but maybe they will persuade those who are flouting the rules that this is serious and could affect them. Probably a bit optimistic sadly.

The streets in London on the news tonight looked quite busy, I cannot believe these were all essential workers who could not work from home.

• Like 1

Well we are opening up our vaccination hub tomorrow and I’m booked in for my first jab on Thursday. At the moment we are only registered to do our own staff (NHS) but we’re actively working with local primary care networks and other organisations to broaden out our offer. 

The good news is that the take up of the vaccine from our staff has been huge whereas a local acute trust are reporting their take up is only around 50% 🙁

The reported death toll today is horrendous and my heart goes out to those families and friends who’ve lost a loved one. My husband’s Trust are reporting that patients are dying much quicker than in the first wave in a matter of days rather than a couple of weeks. I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to follow the rules and get the vaccine when you’re offered it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

The good news is that the take up of the vaccine from our staff has been huge whereas a local acute trust are reporting their take up is only around 50% 🙁

Unbelievable so many are refusing vaccines. 

I do wonder if there is, or will be some prioritisation of people who are treated if there are not enough facilities for all.  That could explain younger people in ITU's and also the quicker deaths.  I have been thinking that for a while, but seems a terrible thought to mention.  Not so long ago they were saying more people were surviving, but hospitals were not so stressed then.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A myth seems to have grown up in certain quarters that it’s only a mild illness in younger people.

It’s clear that this is not always the case.

It is most likely this new aggressive strain that is affecting the younger people so badly.

Avril

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It is most likely this new aggressive strain that is affecting the younger people so badly.

Avril

The new strain is known to be more easily transmitted, but all experts were saying there was no indication it was causing a more serious illness.  If more people are infected though, there will presumably be more who will become seriously ill.

• Like 2