New vaccine

hollyjess

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Private most likely. I wonder if the Queen and Prince Phillip have had theirs. I'm sure they must have.

Avril

To be fair to Prue, she was queuing with everyone else in a local surgery. She was interviewed and was filmed having the vaccine. She said afterwards that is was very much like the usual system for the flu jab. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't think they've developed a vaccine for Roger's condition yet.

Avril

Will certainly be a greater challenge than any other. No point though because he would probably refuse it. Numpty.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do you get a free day. If so there is a bus service into Stirling which is a lovely little city. The Castle is actually just as interesting as Edinburgh Castle with more historical interest in some regards.

If you have time in Edinburgh on the day you go to the Tattoo then I strongly advise you to pre book your meal as during the festival (normally anyway) restaurants and pubs are really busy. Plenty of time to think about it 😀

I think there is a free day, so the bus to Stirling would be a good idea. I went to Edinburgh Castle about 10 years ago, so I’m sure I’d like Stirling Castle.   Thanks for the info - now I just need to wait and see if the tour happens! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Now that’s funny! Tell you the truth, my Dad would even be prepared to have it done in a Con club If it meant being protected and that’s saying a lot! Having said that, we don’t have any Con clubs around here any more. 

Ah but football is far more polarised than feeble politics.:classic_cool:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Me too. Born there and only moved away 6 years ago, x

I’ve stayed within a 10 mile radius all my life. I was born in Wallington, moved to Cheam at 6 and then my parents owned our old house until 2008. OH and I have always lived around this area. 

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think there is a free day, so the bus to Stirling would be a good idea. I went to Edinburgh Castle about 10 years ago, so I’m sure I’d like Stirling Castle.   Thanks for the info - now I just need to wait and see if the tour happens! 

Eglesbrech, the holiday we are interested in is based in Aberdeen with trips to Balmoral ,Aviemore and the Cairngorms but we have a free day in Aberdeen.Any recommendations that are easily accessible by bus or train?(Hope you don't mind me hijacking your post, Dermotsgirl but I can't find Eglesbrech original offer of help)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ann141 said:

Eglesbrech, the holiday we are interested in is based in Aberdeen with trips to Balmoral ,Aviemore and the Cairngorms but we have a free day in Aberdeen.Any recommendations that are easily accessible by bus or train?(Hope you don't mind me hijacking your post, Dermotsgirl but I can't find Eglesbrech original offer of help)

There are lots of of options, it depends on what you are interested in. I’m not local to that area but I have stayed up there and visited the surrounding area.

In the city centre there are a few galleries and a Maritime Museum. Drum Castle is within a short taxi ride but if you are going to Balmoral you probably don’t want more of the same.  There is a beach front if the weather was nice with and city gardens.

You are not far from whisky country so a distillery visit is always a good option. There a less traditional one in the city centre which also does gin tastings but for a real one you need to travel a bit further. Several tour companies will arrange tastings for you eg https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-tours/from-aberdeen/speyside-whisky-trail-1-day-tour

There are lots of options from Aberdeen because it is on the main train line so you could get to say Dundee in and hour and 15 minutes and visit the V&A which has really great permanent and temporary exhibitions and Discovery point is right next to it with Captain Scott’s ship and an exhibition of life in the Antarctic. A few minutes further on is the Unicorn a wooden frigate war ship from 1824 which you can go into. 

They  are only a few minutes walk from the main train station and well worth seeing. I suggest googling the V&A (you can pre book entry), Discovery point and Unicorn as it will give you an idea if they are of interest to you. Dundee also has some lovely shops, walks along the Tay and restaurants so with the museums it would make a nice day out.

If you are into golf then the ScotRail train could also take you to Carnoustie in an hour. The train stop is in the middle of the town nor far from the course. 

Try some Arbroath smokies while you are up there, they are delicious. Aberdeen butteries are tasty too. 

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/

Edited by Eglesbrech
Add link
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

According to the Daily Fail (so a handful of salt needed) elderly people in Stockton on Tees  are not turning up for their vaccination, as they do not want the "foreign" Pfizer vaccine,  and want to wait for the Oxford vaccine.

I sincerely hope that this is just poor journalism,  because if true it is just incredible that people can think like that.

Haven’t heard that and a pretty stupid attitude given that the Phizer vaccine offers significantly better protection than the Oxford one. My Mum is having hers today and I’m hoping that she gets the Phizer one. As for me, I will take any of them and as soon as possible - including the Russian one 😂 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ann141 said:

One of my 'hoped for' holidays is in Scotland and we are also looking at Weymouth and Norfolk and Suffolk

That's strange, we live in Norfolk, having moved here from Weymouth. It really is beautiful up here. We have a fjords cruise booked for June, but we won't be going, but we have just booked a luxury caravan in the Peak District for September. Hopefully things will be somewhat better by then.

Four different GP surgeries in Gloucestershire have clubbed together and created their own vaccination hub. By two days ago they had vaccinated all over 77’s and they believe that they are on track to have all over 50’s vaccinated by mid to end Feb. Unfortunately, although very close by, we live in a different county, so won’t benefit, but it just goes to show that it’s going to vary enormously depending on where you live. 

Also, I can’t understand why some people are making an issue out of certain ‘celebrities’ such as Pru Leith having had their jabs and implying that they might be getting priority treatment. I was under the impression that the NHS / Govt were going to be looking for certain celebs over 80 to be jabbed and talk about it, as a way of encouraging those who were reticent, but I don’t think that happened as we haven’t seen adverts to that effect. However, it’s stands to reason that if 23% and rising of all over 80’s have been jabbed, an equal percentage of celebrities over 80 will have been jabbed. And, of course, nowadays everyone feels the need to tell the world all their personal details, so we tend to hear about them. However, unless anyone can prove that every single well know person over 80 has already been jabbed, it just seems to me that that they are getting them as randomly as everyone else. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Thanks have tried the countydurhamccg.nhs.uk but no info of the vaccination hubs ☹️

I googled ‘which GP surgeries are doing the Covid vaccine in Medway’ and got a big list. Unfortunately my parent’s GP not on it! They’re 81 and 83 and haven’t heard a thing 😞 The GP’s round here seem to be in groups and 3 or 4 of them are using one hub. (A big clinic)

I spoke to someone in their 80’s (in my job) who’d just had their appointment- 7pm at night!!

My sister is fuming as her husband (in Worthing) hasn’t heard a thing and he’s a manager of a care home!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I’m not that concerned where we’re at compared to the rest of the world, but of course it’s better to be near the top! At the moment I just can’t understand how some regions within the UK have been able to give over 80s in the community their 2 jabs when this group in other places hasn’t even had an appointment for the first one. 

My parents haven’t even had notification of their vaccine and my friend’s mum is about to have her second one! She lives about 3 miles from my mum 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, davecttr said:

Agree but if there are medical issues maybe not. A neighbour was offered the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago but turned it down because she has multiple allergy reactions. The hub replied that if she changed her mind they would vaccinate her.

I had to fill out a biggish form beforehand. They didn’t recommend it if you had severe allergic reactions to other vaccines. They originally didn’t recommend it for people who had epi pens but have revised that now,

I had the Pfizer one.

Some of the fraud texts & e-mails circulating I thought were bad enough but this one really shocked me this morning . Some scum bag has knocked on a pensioners door claiming to be from the NHS claiming he had brought her Covid injection and then jabbed her with God knows what .Also charged her £160 for doing so .:classic_ohmy:   Shocking !! 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-fraudster-injected-92-year-old-woman-with-fake-coronavirus-vaccine-and-charged-her-160-12181963

22 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I googled ‘which GP surgeries are doing the Covid vaccine in Medway’ and got a big list. Unfortunately my parent’s GP not on it! They’re 81 and 83 and haven’t heard a thing 😞 The GP’s round here seem to be in groups and 3 or 4 of them are using one hub. (A big clinic)

I spoke to someone in their 80’s (in my job) who’d just had their appointment- 7pm at night!!

My sister is fuming as her husband (in Worthing) hasn’t heard a thing and he’s a manager of a care home!

Same here. Most surgeries here have grouped together but our surgery still has no date as to if and when they will be vaccinating. 
I’m about 20 miles from Worthing so obviously West Sussex is having a few issues (and probably the same everywhere). I may be wrong but I thought Sir Simon said care homes were going to receive their vaccines from the hospital hubs? (Please correct me if I mis-heard that).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Some of the fraud texts & e-mails circulating I thought were bad enough but this one really shocked me this morning . Some scum bag has knocked on a pensioners door claiming to be from the NHS claiming he had brought her Covid injection and then jabbed her with God knows what .Also charged her £160 for doing so .:classic_ohmy:   Shocking !! 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-fraudster-injected-92-year-old-woman-with-fake-coronavirus-vaccine-and-charged-her-160-12181963

That's shocking!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve just googled it and have seen that the surgery I go to is our local hub. It seems a strange choice as it’s on Long Catlis Road, a walk from the bus stops, unless there’s a bus route I don’t know of. I would have thought the big surgery in Parkwood shopping precinct would have been much more accessible. 

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’ve just googled it and have seen that the surgery I go to is our local hub. It seems a strange choice as it’s on Long Catlis Road, a walk from the bus stops, unless there’s a bus route I don’t know of. I would have thought the big surgery in Parkwood shopping precinct would have been much more accessible. 

Ooh! I thought they were one and the same 😱😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Same here. Most surgeries here have grouped together but our surgery still has no date as to if and when they will be vaccinating. 
I’m about 20 miles from Worthing so obviously West Sussex is having a few issues (and probably the same everywhere). I may be wrong but I thought Sir Simon said care homes were going to receive their vaccines from the hospital hubs? (Please correct me if I mis-heard that).

With the oxford vaccine being available and used i would have thought it would be better to take it to the care homes rather than have all the elderly patiants transported to a hub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Four different GP surgeries in Gloucestershire have clubbed together and created their own vaccination hub. By two days ago they had vaccinated all over 77’s and they believe that they are on track to have all over 50’s vaccinated by mid to end Feb. Unfortunately, although very close by, we live in a different county, so won’t benefit, but it just goes to show that it’s going to vary enormously depending on where you live. 

Also, I can’t understand why some people are making an issue out of certain ‘celebrities’ such as Pru Leith having had their jabs and implying that they might be getting priority treatment. I was under the impression that the NHS / Govt were going to be looking for certain celebs over 80 to be jabbed and talk about it, as a way of encouraging those who were reticent, but I don’t think that happened as we haven’t seen adverts to that effect. However, it’s stands to reason that if 23% and rising of all over 80’s have been jabbed, an equal percentage of celebrities over 80 will have been jabbed. And, of course, nowadays everyone feels the need to tell the world all their personal details, so we tend to hear about them. However, unless anyone can prove that every single well know person over 80 has already been jabbed, it just seems to me that that they are getting them as randomly as everyone else. 

It started as a joke! My Dad started saying mid December (translation) - “That woman on the Bake Off with the coloured specs had already had hers“ - he’d seen her on the news getting the vaccine. I certainly haven’t implied that she’s had priority treatment. In fact I stated yesterday that she was queuing like everyone else and that the cameras just happened to visit her surgery because it was obviously one of the first nearly a month ago. It’s now a lighthearted thing in the family (along with Tom Jones) but it just illustrates, as you say, how differently things are done in various areas.