New vaccine

hollyjess

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

In as much as the police will ever admit they are wrong, this comes pretty damn close.  I like the way the Derbyshire Police "welcome " the fact that they were totally wrong and out of order in persecuting two innocent individuals, and have had to rescind the fines issued. 

This us a difficult time for all of us,  but civil liberties must be upheld.

https://www.derbyshire.police.uk/news/derbyshire/news/news/forcewide/2021/january/force-welcomes-new-guidance-from-npcc-around-about-travelling-during-lockdown/

As long as the police respond to fair criticism and adapt their policies, then I think we are safe from a police state environment.

• Like 3

I think it is just a minority who go over zealous, some of you may remember the first lockdown

when a guy from Rotherham was warned by a WPC to get in his house, overlooking his own garden .She also got a talking to by her superiors .Common sense works both ways and when you hear stories of a woman who wanted to go from Leicester over the border to see a horse ,that lived in Wales, was safe and being looked after by others ..Why ? 

The powers that be should be giving them clear precise rules that everyone can understand. The police are under enough strain as any of the other blue light services and same as us they will not always get it right .

Which brings me to another dilemma ? My car has been stood several weeks now and it is advised to take them for a run in this situation . This avoids tyre flat spots and a host of other problems.

Should I take the car for a run or would I be classed as just joy riding as I am not out of my house for any other reason . The run would be a non stop 2 mile, am I being reckless or being reasonable ?

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

I think it is just a minority who go over zealous, some of you may remember the first lockdown

when a guy from Rotherham was warned by a WPC to get in his house, overlooking his own garden .

She also got a talking to by her superiors .Common sense works both ways and when you hear stories 

of a woman who wanted to go from Leicester over the border to see a horse ,that was safe and being looked after by others ..Why ? 

The powers that be should be giving them clear precise rules that everyone can understand. The police are under enough strain as any of the other blue light services and same as us they will not always get it right .

Which brings me to another dilemma ? My car has been stood several weeks now and it is advised to take them for a run in this situation . This avoids tyre flat spots and a host of other problems.

Should I take the car for a run or would I be classed as just joy riding as I am not out of my house for any other reason . The run would be a non stop 2 mile, am I being reckless or being reasonable ?

Cars probably need a good 10 mile run every few weeks, if sitting idle, otherwise you run a very good chance of encountering a dead battery just when you need the car most.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Cars probably need a good 10 mile run every few weeks, if sitting idle, otherwise you run a very good chance of encountering a dead battery just when you need the car most.

That's what I thought John but but under the rules ? Could I get accused of being out for no reason ? 

The cars need it more so in this bad weather .

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's what I thought John but but under the rules ? Could I get accused of being out for no reason ? 

The cars need it more so in this bad weather .

You would get our support, but how effective we would be in a court of law I'm not certain.:classic_wacko:

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You would get our support, but how effective we would be in a court of law I'm not certain.:classic_wacko:

You are allowed to drive local for essential shopping, just drive to your local supermarkets the longest way around.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Cheers John /Blood axe , the car will be taken a run up the M18 to Doncaster and back .

PS thank you for your support .I will set my go fund me fine page up later ,.Thanks in advance for your very kind donations :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

Not sure about the police state though but the lockdown needs to be tougher than it is.

I agree with that. We are being told and shown that the infection rates and deaths are significantly higher than last April, but this lockdown is not as tough as it was then. Garden centres are open, more primary school children in classes in some areas,(reported today) much more traffic on the roads, going where?? and workmen allowed to work in people's homes, not just in an emergency as it was before. I really do despair and wonder when all this will be over.

Avril

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

You are allowed to drive local for essential shopping, just drive to your local supermarkets the longest way around.

Haven't used shops in over 14 months but would carry medical proof with me .:classic_smile:

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with that. We are being told and shown that the infection rates and deaths are significantly higher than last April, but this lockdown is not as tough as it was then. Garden centres are open, more primary school children in classes in some areas,(reported today) much more traffic on the roads, going where?? and workmen allowed to work in people's homes, not just in an emergency as it was before. I really do despair and wonder when all this will be over.

Avril

Garden centres are closed in Wales.

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

None of which is anything to do with the current situation.

Of course it is the actions of many people over the last 6 months have caused the situation we are in now and the rapid spread of the virus and costing many deaths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I live in Sussex and have been hearing from locals that in both East and West Sussex the police are monitoring the main A roads into Surrey and London and also the roads heading to the beaches like Brighton.

Well over 3,000 people have been fined £200 by Northumbria police.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, kalos said:

I was just pondering the same dilemma.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kalos said:

when a guy from Rotherham was warned by a WPC to get in his house, overlooking his own garden .She also got a talking to by her superiors .Common sense works both ways and when you hear stories of a woman who wanted to go from Leicester over the border to see a horse ,that lived in Wales, was safe and being looked after by others ..Why ? 

One issue we had last year after leaving our car for about 6 weeks was leaving the hand brake on.When eventually going to the shops it sounded like a stone in the front tyre,click,click,click,after returning i checked and it wasn't.I spoke to the mechanic we use(phone)and he said when you leave the handbrake on for a long time the pads will make a slight indentation on the discs.To solve this we had to remove the wheel and feel for the groove then slightly sand it down to a smooth finish,job done.The mechanic also advised us to leave the handbrake off (in gear) if it's left for long periods or we should move it forward or back every week.Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

It's only joyriding if you nicked your neighbours car,so no worries.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

One issue we had last year after leaving our car for about 6 weeks was leaving the hand brake on.When eventually going to the shops it sounded like a stone in the front tyre,click,click,click,after returning i checked and it wasn't.I spoke to the mechanic we use(phone)and he said when you leave the handbrake on for a long time the pads will make a slight indentation on the discs.To solve this we had to remove the wheel and feel for the groove then slightly sand it down to a smooth finish,job done.The mechanic also advised us to leave the handbrake off (in gear) if it's left for long periods or we should move it forward or back every week.Hope this helps.

Thank you it was the legal side if I went out and am pretty good with cars hence my concern 

over taking it for a run . 

For anyone not aware of what can go wrong please see link below .

https://completecarcare318.com/blog/how-long-can-a-car-sit-without-being-driven

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Of course it is the actions of many people over the last 6 months have caused the situation we are in now and the rapid spread of the virus and costing many deaths.

True but it is also the inaction of the political leaders to take unpopular measures early that hasn't helped.  Freeing up 5 days at Christmas was stupidity.  I know it didn't happen in the end but it planted the idea that such things could be OK to do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

As long as the police respond to fair criticism and adapt their policies, then I think we are safe from a police state environment.

Indeed, but I despair when over zealous cops decide that a take away coffee is a "picnic". It just makes them a laughing stock.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thank you it was the legal side if I went out and am pretty good with cars hence my concern 

over taking it for a run . 

For anyone not aware of what can go wrong please see link below .

https://completecarcare318.com/blog/how-long-can-a-car-sit-without-being-driven

Some good points Kalos.

Paulines car hardly comes out of the garage and the hand brake used to seize on which caused a problem and I ended up having to replace the back brake master cylinder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Some good points Kalos.

Paulines car hardly comes out of the garage and the hand brake used to seize on which caused a problem and I ended up having to replace the back brake master cylinder.

When I was rich and single :classic_unsure: I had two or 3 cars on the go and one was immobile due to me tarting it up over a few weeks. I would always take the negative terminal connection off the battery to stop it draining power over time . I also carry a torch in the glove box and again turn one of the batteries the wrong way until needed, so they hold their power .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Left a wet car in the garage once for a few days with the handbrake on (not a good idea) many years ago. Locked solid when I came to use it, and it had to be taken to a garage to fix. Never done that since - handbrake always off.

There's a serious issue around leaving cars for too long though.  I keep the batteries topped up with a smart charger, so that's not a problem, but I've been taking ours out for a 10 mile run every couple of weeks for the sake of the tyres and everything else. A 2 mile run isn't much good, because the oil doesn't get the chance to heat up properly, and that's not good at all.

The petrol or diesel deteriorates over time too.

Doing a 10 mile trip just for the sake of the car will almost certainly be illegal unless there's an essential purchase involved - probably not too difficult to achieve perfectly legitimately and safely, without even stretching the law for many of us.

Edited by batholiver
Fuel point added
  • Like 2

Another problem which my son encounters quite often in his garage and has also been a victim of , because he lives in the country side but it can also happen in built up areas is mouses chewing through your cables inside the engine but his little mouse chewed through his diesel fuel line and emptied his tank this week and a very expensive repair, this is the second time, last time it was his Subaru car chewed through all the electrics while sat over the Christmas period of not going to work 😠

• Like 3