HELP! Which Cruise would you pick?!

RobinCruiser

8 Day Eastern Caribbean Jan 29/22 on the Freedom *Ports are St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk

or

7 Day Mexican Riviera Nov 12/22 on the Panorama *Ports are Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

I'm trying to decide so I can block some group space but just don't know which one to pick!! I've done the Eastern Carib twice but never been to Grand Turk and never done the Mexican Riv.

Enjoy both Ships and would choose to cruise on either. Most likely we would pick 8 nights over 7 nights and love the Caribbean. (We are doing one of the the six night cruises on the Freedom January 2022.) Plus January 2022 is much sooner than November 2022. 

• Like 1

January 2022 is much sooner, which is why I would suggest November 2022.  It's so difficult to predict the future, but I'm thinking maybe by November 2022, life will be closer to "normal."  

Also, I have been to the Mexican Riviera, and recommend it.  

What factors are influencing your decision?  What do you like to do at the ports?

1 hour ago, RobinCruiser said:

8 Day Eastern Caribbean Jan 29/22 on the Freedom *Ports are St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk

or

7 Day Mexican Riviera Nov 12/22 on the Panorama *Ports are Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

I'm trying to decide so I can block some group space but just don't know which one to pick!! I've done the Eastern Carib twice but never been to Grand Turk and never done the Mexican Riv.

I'd be a little nervous the cdc extends their no cruising more than 7 days past nov 1, 2021 and probably wouldnt pick the 8 day that soon after. 

Nov 2022 would only be bearable to wait if I had some cruises before 

I think the eastern ports are more safe to visit than the Rivera of mexico area. There have been some problems I've heard of. ..but of course can have them anywhere. 

Cant go wrong with either cruise, which is better priced? Middle of winter who doesnt want a cruise to warmer weather. I'd take jan 2022, but 8 days until its approved would make me nervous.

I would pick the eastern Caribbean trip.  I cruised out of California on the Panorama a year ago and it was a great cruise, but I prefer the Caribbean and the beautiful water and islands.  The Virgin Islands are so much better than Mexico to me.  San Juan is a very interesting place to visit too.  I could take or leave Grand Turk.

If you do the cruise to Mexico, then I would highly recommend the Rhythm of the Nights excursion.  It was definitely one fo the best excursions we have ever done.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cellfree said:

Enjoy both Ships and would choose to cruise on either. Most likely we would pick 8 nights over 7 nights and love the Caribbean. (We are doing one of the the six night cruises on the Freedom January 2022.) Plus January 2022 is much sooner than November 2022. 

This mirrors my thinking, all else being equal.

I'd go with the 7-day cruise simply due to the current 7-day sailing limit. I had the same quandary with choosing a 10-day on a ship I know I love, or a 7-day on a smaller, older ship in January next year. Went with the 7-day sailing just on the off chance the limit on cruise length gets extended. 

I have inferred that your group is closer to Cali, so saving on the airfare would be a plus towards the Panorama.  Plus, things will hopefully be slightly more normal in Nov of 2022.  And the Panorama is larger and newer which are more pluses. And the Panorama has a Havana area,  which is the biggest plus.  

• Like 1

We did the Mexican Riviera way back in 2000 on a competitor.  The cruise was a gift from my husband's parents that his whole family took together.  I loved all of the ports and that is an itinerary I'd love to do again, so that or an 8 day southern to Aruba/Curacao will probably be one of our next cruises once cruising resumes.  But the 8 day to the Eastern isn't bad either.  We've been to all of those ports and love them all. 

If I were choosing for the ship I would pick Panorama. If I were choosing for the itinerary, I would pick Eastern Caribbean. It depends on what your priority is.  Are you more interested in the ship and all it has to offer or are you more interested in which ports are visited?

Edited by stobe1

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Hands down, the Caribbean one! Grand Turk and St. Maarten have perfecto water and are 2 of my favorite islands to visit. The Caribbean is much more tropical than the Mexican Riviera.

If the ship is more important, the Panorama is the newest in the fleet until the Mardi Gras starts.  The Freedom is 13 years old, and 20% smaller (110 K vs 133.5 K)

There is no right or wrong answer, whichever is right for you.

4 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Hands down, the Caribbean one! Grand Turk and St. Maarten have perfecto water and are 2 of my favorite islands to visit. The Caribbean is much more tropical than the Mexican Riviera.

I definitely agree with your comment about Grand Turk. It’s one of our favorite Caribbean ports and Jack’s Shack is a must do every time we go there.  

I would go for 8 day over 7 days!  I have never been on the Panorama (we were 2 weeks away from going on March 28 when cruising shut down), however, we have done the Mexican Rivera about 5 times prior.  If you are looking for beautiful beaches and being in the ocean, I would choose the Caribbean.  Also, California is a little chillier in the winter and it doesn't get hot until you get to Cabo or south.  We are in Alberta and so flying to California is so much easier.

Puerto Rico is one of my favourite ports plus I have never been to St. Maarten and would love to visit Maho Beach.  

...but definitely an 8 day cruise over 7 days if I had to choose 🙂  

In an ideal situation, I would choose the Freedom to the Eastern Caribbean. With that said, this past year is less than ideal and a Nov 2022 option is safer than Jan 2022 (right, @skridge?) so I would opt for the Mexican Riviera option. As you’re reserving group space, you have the schedules of many people in play... things might be more normalized towards the end of the year and the restrictions/modified experience in Jan 2022 may still be too much for many people.

Is there an Eastern Caribbean option later in the year?

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, RobinCruiser said:

or

Normally I’m a ship first guy so I would go with the Panorama but 8 days is 8 day and the freedom is a fun ship. Take the 8 day. Who knows you might even luck out and get to do both.