VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

In effect, he seems to be saying that this problem will not be solved overnight as contrasted to it'll just go away and we are doing very well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In 206 I discussed getting online to book your appointment.  DW and I got our shots this afternoon.  Whole process took about an hour, including the 15 minute wait after to see if you had any problems.  No problems and my arm doesn't even hurt.  Got the Moderna and an appointment to return a month from now to the same place.  We are happy campers!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

In 206 I discussed getting online to book your appointment.  DW and I got our shots this afternoon.  Whole process took about an hour, including the 15 minute wait after to see if you had any problems.  No problems and my arm doesn't even hurt.  Got the Moderna and an appointment to return a month from now to the same place.  We are happy campers!

Got mine 11 days ago and have 10 more until shot #2.  Cannot wait!  It sure feels good and improved y outlook on things.  Been booking trips for the past two weeks!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

In effect, he seems to be saying that this problem will not be solved overnight as contrasted to it'll just go away and we are doing very well.

Candidly We don't believe that there is sufficient  vaccine in the system  today ,Jan 26 ,2021 .  Reason I say this is because here in San Diego county ,it is  not easily available . With sufficient qys the vaccines should be available in every city in the USA as well as towns  .Production needs to be ramped up  .Additionally ,what about that African strain ,then how good is the current vaccines in fighting off that new strain ?? 

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Candidly We don't believe that there is sufficient  vaccine in the system  today ,Jan 26 ,2021 .  Reason I say this is because here in San Diego county ,it is  not easily available . With sufficient qys the vaccines should be available in every city in the USA as well as towns  .Production needs to be ramped up  .Additionally ,what about that African strain ,then how good is the current vaccines in fighting off that new strain ?? 

I saw on the way to early news this morning that NYC had to cancel a mass vaccination site due to lack of the vaccine, so I agree with you. There was also a scroll that Moderna was working on a booster for the new African strain.

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Moderna and Pfizer have commitments to the US for 200 million doses per company, as well as commitments to other countries for hundreds of millions of doses each. I wonder how fast you think they can produce these volumes? 

• Like 2

Don't squabble while thousands of Americans die every day.

What you need are solutions. I'm glad that someone is taking it serious. Hope that I can take a cruise out of Florida in 2022 or 2023.

The variants are already in the States. Will be bad for the states where covid is out of control. Just look at the UK!

The vaccines aren't coming fast enough. J&J may be the last major candidate to be approved this year. Merck has terminated their program because the results were poor.

Global Euro new deaths per capita Jan 25.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Don't squabble while thousands of Americans die every day.

What you need are solutions. I'm glad that someone is taking it serious. Hope that I can take a cruise out of Florida in 2022 or 2023.

The variants are already in the States. Will be bad for the states where covid is out of control. Just look at the UK!

The vaccines aren't coming fast enough. J&J may be the last major candidate to be approved this year. Merck has terminated their program because the results were poor.

Global Euro new deaths per capita Jan 25.JPG

Actually, there are two other possible vendors that may arrive as soon as February...AstraZenica and another company I have never heard of. In the world (but not committed to the US) are 9 other vendors in Phase 3 testing, and about 175 in various other stages of testing.

• Like 5

On 1/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, Norseh2o said:

At 8:00pm (Pacific) Monday I received an email from health care provider that Covid-19 vaccine was available. After about 1 hour, I was able to reserve a time slot for me for Wednesday evening for Dose 1.  Spent the next 2 hours with DH looking for another time slot - no luck.  The sign up was onerous, which is odd, considering we have used the same health care group for many years.  Message now is:

Appointment Cannot be Scheduled

Thank you for your patience. All COVID-19 vaccination appointments are currently full. We will notify you when we receive more doses and open more appointment slots.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Actually, there are two other possible vendors that may arrive as soon as February...AstraZenica and another company I have never heard of. In the world (but not committed to the US) are 9 other vendors in Phase 3 testing, and about 175 in various other stages of testing.

Pfizer just announced they will be able to supply the US with 200,000,000 dose by the end of May. That is 2 months early. If Moderna delivers their 100,000,000 and J & J is approved and delivers their 100,000,000 the light at the end of the tunnel will be shining much brighter by mid summer.  

• Like 1

I think some patience is required.  We knew there would only be a limited supply at least initially.  It’s good so many want to get vaccinated but when 50 million show up for 20 million shots it doesn’t work.  As the Master in Kung Fu said, “patience Grasshopper “. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Personally I would prefer that the AZ vaccine go to other countries than the US.  Let the US stick to higher efficacy products not the 70% that the AZ indicated in trials.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Personally I would prefer that the AZ vaccine go to other countries than the US.  Let the US stick to higher efficacy products not the 70% that the AZ indicated in trials.

The main reason for the delay in the AZ vaccine is the US reviewing the odd portion of the vaccine...that if they give a full first dose, the efficacy is 70%. If they give a half dose (discovered accidently in trials) they get around 90% efficacy. So the US has required extra study, where as, in the UK, for example, they have been giving the AZ vaccine for most of a month now.

So, don't count out the AZ vaccine.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I think some patience is required.  We knew there would only be a limited supply at least initially.  It’s good so many want to get vaccinated but when 50 million show up for 20 million shots it doesn’t work.  As the Master in Kung Fu said, “patience Grasshopper “. 

I agree but I don't think the demand is as portrayed.   I am getting reports from friends and relatives in smaller states that the vaccine is almost "walk up". Anecdotally, my younger sister, who has the same comorbidity as I have, went for her approved appointment at Walgreens today.  Since she had gone to lunch with her husband and my niece, neither in the high risk group, they accompanied her.  Being as they were the only people to show up to that location all three were given a vaccine

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are 3 caveats.

First, high efficacy vaccines are being deployed. It becomes increasingly difficult to recruit participants in new trials.

Canada's vaccine (Providence Therapeutics of Calgary) is now ready to start the human trial. Possibly, the last new vax in North America, if successful.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/calgary-company-begins-human-clinical-134232284.html

Second, the big uncertainty in 2021 is the ability of world pharma to deliver a billion doses in 2021. Every pharma with a promising vax has booked production capacity.

In the long run, production capacity will increase. In the next 6 months, it is likely that even planned expansions will be fully booked. Therefore, there is less incentive for new vax to hit the market, unless they are very much better than existing products.

Bear in mid that new successful vaccines needs the support of big pharma to be commercially successful. BioNTech has Pfizer. Newbie Moderna had the support of the American government.

Third, the South Africa variant has the annoying ability to hide itself from the body's antibodies. Moderna is preparing a booster shot. It will take time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/covid-vaccine-moderna-working-on-covid-booster-shots-for-south-african-strain.html

Perhaps, the booster will be ready after most of the adults have been vax. Requiring a third dose for a hundred million North Americans. Putting pressure on production capacity.

It is significant that at least one new and horrible variant has appeared in each infested continent. UK variant in Europe. South African variant in Africa. Brazil and the Ohio(?) variants in the Americas.

But, none in Asia and Australasia!

That is the shape of things to come. As long as we don't get it under control ASAP, new mutations will occur.

As I pointed out some months ago, we have to get covid under control immediately. We cannot afford to have a protracted struggle with this amazing disease.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Moderna and Pfizer have commitments to the US for 200 million doses per company, as well as commitments to other countries for hundreds of millions of doses each. I wonder how fast you think they can produce these volumes? 

Fast ? they were supposed to have the vaccine in 20 millio0n arms before Jan 1 st & that did not happen . europe is also sayig shortages of vaccine .  We  have been eligible for awhile now because we are both 82 with underlying medical conditions  & there is little hint on our county Web sire of a abundance of vaccines 

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I agree but I don't think the demand is as portrayed.   I am getting reports from friends and relatives in smaller states that the vaccine is almost "walk up". Anecdotally, my younger sister, who has the same comorbidity as I have, went for her approved appointment at Walgreens today.  Since she had gone to lunch with her husband and my niece, neither in the high risk group, they accompanied her.  Being as they were the only people to show up to that location all three were given a vaccine

consider yourselves very fortunate that you live in Texas & not California  for getting the vaccines

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

consider yourselves very fortunate that you live in Texas & not California  for getting the vaccines

There are.vaccines available in San Diego.  You have made the decision to not travel 30 miles for a vaccine.   Look at myturn.ca.gov. appts are available for

booking, refreshed daily at noon.   I hesitate to say it but if you will not drive for a vaccine you should not cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Fast ? they were supposed to have the vaccine in 20 millio0n arms before Jan 1 st & that did not happen . europe is also sayig shortages of vaccine .  We  have been eligible for awhile now because we are both 82 with underlying medical conditions  & there is little hint on our county Web sire of a abundance of vaccines 

The Trump Administration  promised the 20 million shots, not the vendors. Do you have factual evidence they could be producing faster, but aren't? The current production rate is about 10 million shots per week, distributed across 50 states, DC and 16 territories, based on population.  California has a hair under 10% of the US population. You can do the math, but California has about 32 million eligible recipients of the vaccine. As of yesterday, California has received a just about 5 million doses, injected 55% of them. 

This shortage could be expectations far exceeding reality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The main reason for the delay in the AZ vaccine is the US reviewing the odd portion of the vaccine...that if they give a full first dose, the efficacy is 70%. If they give a half dose (discovered accidently in trials) they get around 90% efficacy. So the US has required extra study, where as, in the UK, for example, they have been giving the AZ vaccine for most of a month now.

So, don't count out the AZ vaccine.

Actually their trials were a mess. The half dose data comes from a small trial in Brazil that did not include anyone over 55.

The US did not require an additional trial, the US is waiting for the large trial in the US that was started well before the Half dose data. A trial that was on hold while the FDA looked at safety data and has been slow to accrue sufficient patients.

AZ got their results by using combined data from a number of trials and came up with their results using a meta analysis.  A relatively poor practice as far as clinical trials go.

Edited by nocl

5 hours ago, kiwimum said:

There are.vaccines available in San Diego.  You have made the decision to not travel 30 miles for a vaccine.   Look at myturn.ca.gov. appts are available for

booking, refreshed daily at noon.   I hesitate to say it but if you will not drive for a vaccine you should not cruise.

At our ages to line up for hours on the hopes of getting vaccine is definitely not a doable thing & why risk exposure to the virus  .If there were plenty of vaccines to go around it would be here in North County San Diego  cities   guaranteed .

11 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

That possibility has never crossed my mind, ever.  I never understood the appeal of either the east or west coast - far too crowded for my liking.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

We live in rural Wisconsin. Our county has about 15,000 people. Those 65 and older were just approved on Monday (statewide) to receive their first shots. My husband has an appointment for next Monday with the second shot schedule for 4 weeks later, at our closest hospital. Not too bad for the middle of nowhere!

I have to wait awhile until my age group is called but I'm hopeful by summer I will have received my vaccination.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

I guess it depends on where you live inTexas. In our town, the waiting list at the hospital is over 1,000 as of yesterday. The health department does not maintain a list nor do they answer the phone. They randomly make doses available on the website, but there is never an announcement so it is like throwing bread crumbs to pigeons. If you happen to be checking at that moment, you might be able to register for an appointment before they are all gone, but it is entirely luck.