VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

8 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I also spent a lot of time on the Publix site without success.  Night before last my neighbor called and told me about availability at the Orange County Convention Center. We went on and were successful booking myself and DH for #1 and #2  shots. You have to register with the site. There is a link on the WESH website. 

Thanks.  I'll check it out.

It upsets me to see photos of people taking selfies of getting their shots.  And I don't know why all locations in Florida aren't drive-thru.  It seems like vaccination would go faster and I would much prefer a drive through location to inside buildings.

In the Philly area Crozer Health System has appointments available at two hospitals.   PA has just changed to 65 and over for 1A.  With persistence I was able to schedule for end of Feb and March.  It's a bit of a drive but worth it.  Surprisingly, nothing is well advertised and we must do our own research.  The state and county websites are very comprehensive with data and recommendations but not specifics.   Local news only gives general information.  As long as the weather cooperates and doses are available it should work out.  Good luck everyone.

It is sad that so many people in the world have to wait so long for a vaccine.

I almost feel guilty sharing about our WA state county and city.  We are in our 80's, and yesterday our appointments resulted in our first vaccines and appointments for the second.  A huge room of our high school gymnasium was turned into a carefully spaced-out and fine-tuned location to give vaccines.  Everyone was so caring and kind, even thanking us for coming to get shot.  I feel so thankful, pleased, and proud of our community.

Now we wait for more vaccine to give to more people.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, bcummin said:

I almost feel guilty sharing about our WA state county and city.  We are in our 80's, and yesterday our appointments resulted in our first vaccines and appointments for the second.  A huge room of our high school gymnasium was turned into a carefully spaced-out and fine-tuned location to give vaccines.  Everyone was so caring and kind, even thanking us for coming to get shot.  I feel so thankful, pleased, and proud of our community.

Barbara

I have a friend who lives in Oak Harbor, any advice where they can look?  Apparently Island Drug is not giving out any more appointments now, due to low supply.  I've told her not to limit themselves to OH, look out of town too.  We're getting ours in Seattle on Tuesday -- about 40 minute drive for us but that's fine.

• Like 1

Congrats to all who have successfully been receiving the Vaccine! 😀 Jealous of all of you in Florida! 😉

In SC they have just started 70 yrs and over.  We're a couple of years shy of 70 yrs old and are in the 1C Group.  The latest DHEC News Conference the other day said they are waiting for more Vaccine but have enough doses for 2nd Shots.  They need more to keep Vaccinating but no word on when they will receive it.  It maybe early to late Spring for us.  

My Brother and BIL live in Lee Country, NC and were given 1st Dose this past week.  They have their Appt.'s for 2nd Dose.  They waited over 3  hours in a Car Line to receive their Vaccine.  Yikes!

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I have a friend who lives in Oak Harbor, any advice where they can look?  Apparently Island Drug is not giving out any more appointments now, due to low supply.  I've told her not to limit themselves to OH, look out of town too.  We're getting ours in Seattle on Tuesday -- about 40 minute drive for us but that's fine.

I would recommend they just be persistent and check more than once a day.  Washington has a website called FindYourPhaseWA.org where you answer some questions to see that you qualify for the latest phase.  It will send you an email saying you are eligible if you are old enough.  That email has a link to each county.   Click on your county and you will see the the various sites that are booking appointments.  I kept checking with the large hospital in Kitsap County - now called St. Michael Medical Center twice a day for about ten days. I would go to their website, answer a few questions and click on "schedule an appointment".  They would always reply "Sorry, no appointments available ". Finally, two days ago they listed a bunch appointments available starting this Monday.  So we are now scheduled for our first shot at 2:20 and 2:30 tomorrow.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I would recommend they just be persistent and check more than once a day.  Washington has a website called FindYourPhaseWA.org where you answer some questions to see that you qualify for the latest phase.  It will send you an email saying you are eligible if you are old enough.  That email has a link to each county.   Click on your county and you will see the the various sites that are booking appointments.  I kept checking with the large hospital in Kitsap County - now called St. Michael Medical Center twice a day for about ten days. I would go to their website, answer a few questions and click on "schedule an appointment".  They would always reply "Sorry, no appointments available ". Finally, two days ago they listed a bunch appointments available starting this Monday.  So we are now scheduled for our first shot at 2:20 and 2:30 tomorrow.  

That's great, congrats on getting your appointments!  Thank you for the reminder, I will see if she knows about the FindYourPhaseWA.org, I have a feeling she does.  I do know she's been persistent.  I'm sure something will come for them too, sooner or later!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:07 AM, mcrcruiser said:

That is not good .Here in San Diego county ,recorded the highest daily deaths  Jan 21 m2021 ever in one day  at 79  .It's scary  out there .This is why we only go out for essentials  :doctors ,grocers & banks  & we have masks on & a shield over the masks when we do go out . Problem is breathing through all this  .so we walk very slow .We could never do this on any cruise ship . Our first of 4  new cruises is Feb 2nd 2022 on Koningsdam . Hoping that all will be OK by then 

Still no word on vaccine available to us ,even though we are both 82 with undelrying medical conditions  .We are very disappointed in the vaccine roll out here  in San diego county ,Calif  .  Also ,you need some time after the shots for your body to build up anti bodies even after the 2 shots .We heat almost a month for the antibodies  

The news this a.m. said Oceanside is opening a vaccination site today and will have 500 vaccinations available each day.  Have you checked the SD County website for North county sites today?  You may be able to get an appointment this week.  KUSI has the web address online.

Edited by oaktreerb

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Here in Washington State vaccine supplies are so limited for a while, that masks and social distancing are mandatory.  Persistence is indeed the name of the game.  We tried everything, but what worked was leaving a message on our local health department's phone, mentioning our age.  While checking in for my vaccine at our high school gym, I pulled out my iPhone to show off how I was registered with the state and wondering how that might fit into their process.  They just smiled and said something like they were way ahead of that.  It is the luck of the draw, almost dumb luck right now.  Keep trying to get an appointment and stay safe close to home until more vaccine arrives.

Barbara

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 9:16 AM, PoolSlider said:

My mom was cancelled too. We used the website and found availability in Houma and drove out there and got the Pfizer 1st dose last week. There were even appts available on Napoleon Ave for Moderna last week but she had preference for Pfizer due to smaller shot volume. If you haven’t gotten it, check the website multiple times a day as appt availability goes up and down constantly. 

Today Ochsner cancelled all 1st dose appointments indefinitely because of limited supply of vaccine.  I am scheduled for my 2nd dose in 11 days.  Fingers crossed.

Here in North Central Florida the local health department is administering our vaccines.  Because we're considered healthcare workers (it's a long term care facility for adults with development/intellectual disabilities) we don't have to meet the age requirement.  The health dept came in January 7th and both hubby & I got our first dose.  Sadly, out of over 800 staff fewer than 200 signed up - and the majority of those are the people working in the support departments and not the staff working directly with the residents.  No wonder we've been struggling with more outbreaks the past couple of weeks.  DOH will be back this Thursday, when we'll get our 2nd dose, and so far I have fewer than 50 signed up for their first dose.  In terms of our residents, the consents from the guardians have been coming in - we have around 220 approvals, 11 denials, and that leaves around 50 unheard from thus far.  

It boggles my mind reading and seeing on tv about all the trouble people are going to in order to get the vaccine, and we have it dropped in our laps, given AT WORK (we'll even pay them for 2 hours if they come in on their day off to get it), and people can't be bothered.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bcummin said:

Barbara

Glad you were able to get your shots. I have spent the day on the King, Perce and Thurston county Washington sites and there are no appts. available. Will be getting up in the middle of the night to try again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Here in North Central Florida the local health department is administering our vaccines.  Because we're considered healthcare workers (it's a long term care facility for adults with development/intellectual disabilities) we don't have to meet the age requirement.  The health dept came in January 7th and both hubby & I got our first dose.  Sadly, out of over 800 staff fewer than 200 signed up - and the majority of those are the people working in the support departments and not the staff working directly with the residents.  No wonder we've been struggling with more outbreaks the past couple of weeks.  DOH will be back this Thursday, when we'll get our 2nd dose, and so far I have fewer than 50 signed up for their first dose.  In terms of our residents, the consents from the guardians have been coming in - we have around 220 approvals, 11 denials, and that leaves around 50 unheard from thus far.  

It boggles my mind reading and seeing on tv about all the trouble people are going to in order to get the vaccine, and we have it dropped in our laps, given AT WORK (we'll even pay them for 2 hours if they come in on their day off to get it), and people can't be bothered.  

Sue/WDW1972

It is so sad that the workers are not smart enough to get the vaccine when, as you say, it is dropped in their laps.  We drove 80 miles each way for ours and will be happy to do it again in 4 weeks.

WDW1972 - I firmly believe that vaccines should be a condition of employment for all health care workers and many other public facing jobs once availability is universal.  (people with medical exemptions could be offered alternative work environments possibly) I will get mine as soon as it is available!  Vaccination roll out here in the Bay Area has been a mess so far.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

WDW1972 - I firmly believe that vaccines should be a condition of employment for all health care workers and many other public facing jobs once availability is universal.  (people with medical exemptions could be offered alternative work environments possibly) I will get mine as soon as it is available!  Vaccination roll out here in the Bay Area has been a mess so far.

~Nancy

I am amazed it’s not a requirement for their employment.

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

"CDC director says federal government does not know how much Covid vaccine the U.S. has"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/24/cdc-director-government-does-not-know-how-much-covid-vaccine-the-us-has.html

The passing of the baton is difficult when one of the runners won’t cooperate.

• Like 2