VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

On 1/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, KirkNC said:

I found this NYT info interesting 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210110&instance_id=25857&nl=the-morning&regi_id=152227726&segment_id=48890&te=1&user_id=e01ace66437d8943ecb4681e7c7ecfd1

Never would have thought West Virginia would be in the lead with 4.9% of its population vaccinated and 69% of its allocated doses in peoples arms.  Despite all the posts about Florida’s distribution, it’s 31st in the list with 1.9%.  Who knew....

Please remember that WV has under two million people and Florida has just under twenty two million plus we are in the middle of snow bird season and most snow birds are seniors.  And just guess what all the snow birds want?   Our governor is prioritizing our seniors, and that means our snow birds.  1.9 percent of our population is a large number then you will need to add the snow birds.  I don't think we are doing a bad job here.

• Like 4

The Oklahoma vaccine system is a mess IMO (surprise, surprise).  I just kept on checking and lucked out getting us both spots.  Got the shot yesterday and afterwards they booked us for our next shot in three weeks!  Sure am glad I do not have to hassle with the online Oklahoma booking system again!

• Like 2

WA state up until now was still vaccinating health care workers, first responders and care facilities.  Last night the governor announced we will be moving into the next Phase (1b) "within the next few days" and that's where DH and I fall. Or I will fall when I turn 70 in a few days.  They plan to do a large vaccination site not far from us, so that may be where we'll be getting ours.

• Like 2

So assuming the incoming administrations goal of 1 million vaccinated a day is met, it will still take almost two years to get everyone in the US vaccinated (331 million x two shots).  When I look at it this way, I find it depressing.

16 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

WA state up until now was still vaccinating health care workers, first responders and care facilities.  Last night the governor announced we will be moving into the next Phase (1b) "within the next few days" and that's where DH and I fall. Or I will fall when I turn 70 in a few days.  They plan to do a large vaccination site not far from us, so that may be where we'll be getting ours.

Good luck.

One site on the North Olympic Peninsula in WA State  yesterday started vaccinating those over 70.  However, getting an appointment is a problem, and we do not have enough vaccine for all who are eligible.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

4 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Good luck.

One site on the North Olympic Peninsula in WA State  yesterday started vaccinating those over 70.  However, getting an appointment is a problem, and we do not have enough vaccine for all who are eligible.

Barbara

😥  And there's the rub. 

• Like 1

First responder here (not medical though), still waiting   ☹️  to get the go ahead  from our County health department.  Maybe next week they say, although they have gotten through most of the medical/ 1A group.   Aggrevatingly slow and inefficient, and also low vaccine shipments ,  hampering the rollout here.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

So assuming the incoming administrations goal of 1 million vaccinated a day is met, it will still take almost two years to get everyone in the US vaccinated (331 million x two shots).  When I look at it this way, I find it depressing.

Johnson and Johnson's vaccine is looking very promising. That is only one shot. Hoping that is effective and get's approved we could be out of this by summer. Although their manufacturing capacity is behind right now I am sure it will get caught up pretty soon. Pfizer is ramping up their manufacturing capacity significantly.  

2 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Johnson and Johnson's vaccine is looking very promising. That is only one shot. Hoping that is effective and get's approved we could be out of this by summer. Although their manufacturing capacity is behind right now I am sure it will get caught up pretty soon. Pfizer is ramping up their manufacturing capacity significantly.  

Even if it is only one shot, at 1 million shots a day it will take another 350 days.......

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Even if it is only one shot, at 1 million shots a day it will take another 350 days.......

There are nearly 73,000,000 under the age of 18. There are also about 30% of the population that refuse to get the vaccine. So now we are looking at around 160,000,000. So the number is not as dire as it appears to be. If they can ramp up manufacturing and continue to work out the logistics all will be good.
i was very fortunate, My wife, a pharmacist, had the last appointment time for her shot yesterday. They wound up having extra doses left so I was able to get the vaccine also.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Laminator said:

There are nearly 73,000,000 under the age of 18. There are also about 30% of the population that refuse to get the vaccine. So now we are looking at around 160,000,000. So the number is not as dire as it appears to be. If they can ramp up manufacturing and continue to work out the logistics all will be good.
i was very fortunate, My wife, a pharmacist, had the last appointment time for her shot yesterday. They wound up having extra doses left so I was able to get the vaccine also.

Well if your numbers are correct, ,we won’t have herd immunity as that’s not even 50% of the population and experts estimate we need 75-85% vaccination coverage to achieve herd immunity.  

Also I think those under 18 will end up being eligible for vaccinations as time goes forward and more data becomes available on the safety for them.  Then schools will require vaccinations.  In addition, that ever changing anti vaccine number will ultimately be reduced significantly as their employers may require vaccinations as well as many other businesses such as airlines will require the same.  For measles the anti vac number is less the 8.5%. 

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

Thinking from the "cup half full" point of view, don't forget about the AZ/Oxford vaccine which will hopefully also get FDA EUA approval during the Feb/Mar timeframe. And then there's the Novavax vaccine whose Phase 3 trial started in late December. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

The target eligible population is 260 million. Plus they have 100 million doses from Johnson and Johnson ordered...this vaccine, when approved, is a one shot vaccine.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

The target eligible population is 260 million. Plus they have 100 million doses from Johnson and Johnson ordered...this vaccine, when approved, is a one shot vaccine.

Well I hope I am wrong but I fear we will be giving shots all year to get everyone covered.  I am of the opinion that until the world is fairly well vaccinated, cruising either can’t restart or can’t operate in a fashion that I want to participate in (ship excursions and other protocols).  Time will tell but our history with this so far has been over promising and under delivering.

• Like 2

I keep hearing about more doses becoming available and that's good. But unless I'm reading the tea leaves incorrectly, our problem is not having too few doses to administer (we have plenty now), it's more a problem with the logistics of actually getting the doses we have into arms; and that's where we're falling short.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

I keep hearing about more doses becoming available and that's good. But unless I'm reading the tea leaves incorrectly, our problem is not having too few doses to administer (we have plenty now), it's more a problem with the logistics of actually getting the doses we have into arms; and that's where we're falling short.

At this point...its supply. The Feds said they were putting "all reserves" into play...except there was no reserves. The locals weren't ready yet, because there was no sign they needed to ramp up yet, and looked unprepared for the sudden, increased and unexpected supply. But there isn't yet any unexpected supply.

In Florida snowbirds and tourists(even non US) over 65 are getting the vaccine while Florida residents over 65 are waiting. One report was that 6000 people from Kentucky over 65 have been vaccinated. I am 64 and fear it will be quite awhile while I wait for the vaccine. Has been chaotic to say the least. 

10 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I think it's actually both lack of supply and the logistics that is the problem. I know DW and I have become eligible, but there is no vaccine in our county or nearby counties.

15 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Time will tell but our history with this so far has been over promising and under delivering.

The fact that the U.S. was able to coordinate/ramrod the development of a vaccine from more than once souce in less than 9 months is a far cry from "over promising and under delivering. Remarkable is more like it. Now we just have to get the distribution issues sorted out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know that polls indicate that 30-40% of people say that they will not get the vaccine, but I do not believe this will actually be the case in the end.  As we all know, people often say one thing in polls and do another (at one time I conducted consumer research studies and quickly found this out and we had to adjust our procedures to account for this). Also, once people see/hear their friends and relatives getting the shot and having no ill effects, I think they will change their minds.  

I sure hope I am correct in this, as we need to get as many people as possible on the vaccine.  For the record, we received our shots two days ago and have not experienced any ill effects.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I know that polls indicate that 30-40% of people say that they will not get the vaccine, but I do not believe this will actually be the case in the end.  As we all know, people often say one thing in polls and do another (at one time I conducted consumer research studies and quickly found this out and we had to adjust our procedures to account for this). Also, once people see/hear their friends and relatives getting the shot and having no ill effects, I think they will change their minds.  

I sure hope I am correct in this, as we need to get as many people as possible on the vaccine.  For the record, we received our shots two days ago and have not experienced any ill effects.

This might help with those that don’t trust the vaccine.  (I posted it on the Daily this morning so if you were there apologies).

867F98F2-99C3-48C9-A2FD-3D132B2F8CF7.jpeg.064c96431669e1c7d44c188718653bb3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We understand that 25 % of our population in the USA has had   the virus & thus already have immunity . Thus leaves 75% of our population that requires the vaccine now & that 23 5 can wait   awhile  .  Thus ,we hope that  this year will bring herd immunity to the USA