VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

Let me add my thanks to Kirk for posting that very interesting article.

The one question I still have is will the vaccines actually solve the problem if there are a significant number of people who refuse to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The one question I still have is will the vaccines actually solve the problem if there are a significant number of people who refuse to get vaccinated.

Well...you have to define "significant".... 30% refusal still puts us close to herd immunity when the shots have been given.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

imo more of those anti vaccine people will come around to see that getting  vaccinated is the right thing for themselves  ,expecially in light of these new variant strains popping up  . So the end of this story is yet to unfold  

The only real problem right now is the quantity of vaccines available for consumption . It is far below what we expected it to be . Big Pharma  production with Fed Government spending  for the vaccines will make a huge  difference in availability

On Next DoorNeughbor web site in our area ,a person put up info that local vons pharmacies had the vaccines for appointment ;however ,when I just went on that web site no appointments were available in Feb or March .Imo the reason is lack of the vaccines

36 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

imo more of those anti vaccine people will come around to see that getting  vaccinated is the right thing for themselves  ,expecially in light of these new variant strains popping up  . So the end of this story is yet to unfold  

The only real problem right now is the quantity of vaccines available for consumption . It is far below what we expected it to be . Big Pharma  production with Fed Government spending  for the vaccines will make a huge  difference in availability

And this is the major problem. Too many people it's all a TV show...easily solved in a one hour show. Ramping up to hundreds of millions of doses with critical storage issues and getting them to your local medical clinic can't be done in a week or so. Expectations are way out of touch with reality. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

i hope you are right, but there still seem to be so many who won't even wear masks or social distance. Then we had the incident in Los Angeles where anti-vax people blocked the vaccination site at Dodgers' Stadium. There seem to be too many out there who still think it is just a hoax.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

And this is the major problem. Too many people it's all a TV show...easily solved in a one hour show. Ramping up to hundreds of millions of doses with critical storage issues and getting them to your local medical clinic can't be done in a week or so. Expectations are way out of touch with reality. 

I agree.  I understand that everyone (or most everyone) wants to get jabbed but it will take time.  I think the original production numbers for Phizer and Moderna were something like 20 million doses each for January.  Now I think each is trying for 100 million for the first quarter.  Add to that J&J which said 100 million as well you start to get enough available but again it will take time.  I think by summer you would have zero problem getting vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I agree.  I understand that everyone (or most everyone) wants to get jabbed but it will take time.  I think the original production numbers for Phizer and Moderna were something like 20 million doses each for January.  Now I think each is trying for 100 million for the first quarter.  Add to that J&J which said 100 million as well you start to get enough available but again it will take time.  I think by summer you would have zero problem getting vaccinated.

Then it takes time to get fully immune  .what we really do not know  is how long the immunity  lasts . We have not seen any time elements discussed con these boards

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Then it takes time to get fully immune  .what we really do not know  is how long the immunity  lasts . We have not seen any time elements discussed con these boards

Here is information I googled  from Eye Witness New 7:

https://abc7.com/covid-vaccine-19-moderna-vaccination/9558108/

On 1/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, ontheweb said:

You folks getting shots are so lucky!

DW was happy a few days ago when she heard that in NY State teachers had moved up in the priorities.😊 And then the CDC announced that those over 65 should all be vaccinated now. We're both over 65.😊

And then today she heard that there is no vaccine in our county or the neighboring counties.😢

Doesn't do a lot of good to move up in priority for something that does not exist.

Exactly the same in my area of CO. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iris5383 said:

Exactly the same in my area of CO. 

You quoted an older post of mine. We both have now had our first shots with our seconds scheduled.

DW kept looking 4 times a day, and finally found shots. A few hours after she registered us, all the slots were filled. She also qualifies as a teacher, but they were only doing 65 and over.

Good luck getting your shots.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Wish I could agree with you on people coming around but sad to say that some people are truly Anti-Vaccers even when it comes to their own Children.  My DIL's Brother and his Wife will not vaccinate their Children and she's a Nurse.  There was a Measles outbreak in Rockland County, NY and in NJ a few years ago.  This one particular Religious Group does not believe in Vaccinations and it lead to the outbreaks.   I don't see these die-hard anti-vaccers coming around even with Covid.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Wish I could agree with you on people coming around but sad to say that some people are truly Anti-Vaccers even when it comes to their own Children.  My DIL's Brother and his Wife will not vaccinate their Children and she's a Nurse.  There was a Measles outbreak in Rockland County, NY and in NJ a few years ago.  This one particular Religious Group does not believe in Vaccinations and it lead to the outbreaks.   I don't see these die-hard anti-vaccers coming around even with Covid.  

I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't. 

And the same group does not practice anything close to social distancing, and also seem to be anti-mask.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Doubt they will. Smart people can be stupid.  Stupid people can be smart.  To quote some of the advertising up here, COVID doesn't care. 

Unfortunately (?) infection and sickness will have the same effect as a vaccine.  Keep hoping for the best however, there has been enough suffering and loss.  

15 hours ago, darwinsrule said:

Doubt they will. Smart people can be stupid.  Stupid people can be smart.  To quote some of the advertising up here, COVID doesn't care. 

Unfortunately (?) infection and sickness will have the same effect as a vaccine.  Keep hoping for the best however, there has been enough suffering and loss.  

DW and I are fortunate and have been healthy all year. We are getting our second dose later this week. I have a friend who has caught Covid-19 twice; once in April and once in November. Both times were verified by testing. Natural immunity lasts about 6 months. Immunity from the vaccine is expected to last a least a year. 

Edited by taba
Corrected typos.

26 minutes ago, taba said:

Natural immunity lasts about 6 months. Immunity from the vaccine is expected to last a least a year. 

Would you mind sharing your source for this information? I am very curious about this subject, and haven't been able to find much reliable data on it.

DW and I receive our second dose of Pfizer on 2/17. 🙂

10 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Would you mind sharing your source for this information? I am very curious about this subject, and haven't been able to find much reliable data on it.

DW and I receive our second dose of Pfizer on 2/17. 🙂

This was in the news a few weeks ago. The information was for the Moderna vaccine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/12/health/moderna-covid-vaccine-protection/index.html

Protection may last longer, but the vaccine is new and it is hard to predict how long the effects will last. There are also new Covid-19 variants that may evade the current vaccines, so we may need to get annual  Covid boosters just like we get annual flu shots.

Edited by taba
Corrected typos.

On 2/1/2021 at 5:02 AM, ontheweb said:

Of course a sizeable percentage of those who refuse to get vaccinated will likely to be in the infected crowd and therefore contribute some to the herd immunity.  Not as good as being vaccinated, but will have some immunity as a result of infection.

Looks like the federal government is going to start shipping COVID vaccines to pharmacies beginning Feb 11. However, the state group distribution rules will still apply. But hopefully this will speed up the process so group 2 folks can get it sooner than expected.

Biden administration announces direct vaccine shipments to pharmacies - CNNPolitics

52 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Looks like the federal government is going to start shipping COVID vaccines to pharmacies beginning Feb 11.

That's been in the works since December..... just waiting on ramped up production which is close now. I believe the shipments will be direct from the manufacturers.... we certainly don't need our Federal government in the shipping/distribution business !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

That's been in the works since December..... just waiting on ramped up production which is close now. I believe the shipments will be direct from the manufacturers.... 

I doubt that the manufacturers will be shipping direct to the point of care. 

Rather, the federal government is ensuring that deliveries don't get 'lost'...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/millions-vaccine-doses-m-feds-100525358.html

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I doubt that the manufacturers will be shipping direct to the point of care. 

Rather, the federal government is ensuring that deliveries don't get 'lost'...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/millions-vaccine-doses-m-feds-100525358.html

Actually, in California, they are going to be shipping the Moderna to point of care, and Pfizer to regional facilities capable of the extremely cold storage.

• Like 1

I just read that both Pfizer and Moderna will manufacture 200 million vaccines each by July.  That supports my expectation that anyone who wants a vaccine will get one somewhere in that time frame.  In the interim, patience will be required.