VACCINE AVAILABILITY

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, ClippyJoe said:

My DH and I were able to get our second shot on Monday in Tulsa before the weather shut down the sites.

It looks as if the sites will be closed for at least the beginning of next week because of the snow storm moving in.

We've had more than our share of snowstorms; I just hope and pray for none of next Friday when we are scheduled for our second shots. (the site is about 14 miles away.)

• Like 1

My neice lives in Austin. She is only 40 but is in a high risk group because of chronic medical problems. She was offered and accepted a vaccine appointment in Dallas! Unfortunately the weather and the roads are terrible at the moment so she has had to cancel. Hopefully she will find an appointment nearer to home. Stay safe everyone.

Here in California, pot growers and dealers are "essential workers" and now eligible for vaccination, but  my wife and I are still in the undefined "someday" category.  At least the two 90+ year old relatives who we support have been able to get their first shots; that makes me feel a bit better about sitting with them to do their taxes in a few weeks.

I just need to tell myself to check back in another month rather than looking more frequently.  Fortunately we are pretty healthy and able to keep a low exposure profile.

I live in San Diego and my wife and I have received both shots (Moderna) at the commercial pharmacy, RiteAid.  It is free whether you have insurance or not.  I will not exacerbate the feelings re: COVID by taking a cruise that continually reminds me to put on a mask, distance on the elevator and essentially have to guard yourself and pay attention to gnomes who are trying to help.  That is not a vacation, it is purgatory.  I think that at least in the US, everyone can be vaccinated and needs to be vaccinated to travel freely and not be a risk to others or self.  I certainly will not go on a cruise that does not allow me to fend for myself when in port.

30 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Hubby & I were supposed to get our 2nd Moderna shots today & tomorrow (in Washington State) but due to the weather, the shipments couldn't get here so we're rescheduled for next week.

My neighbor was supposed to get her first shot tomorrow (Haggens) and got the same notification.

DH and I just (minutes ago) got our 2nd shots in Seattle at Swedish. Very impressed how they're handling it there.

11 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Hubby & I were supposed to get our 2nd Moderna shots today & tomorrow (in Washington State) but due to the weather, the shipments couldn't get here so we're rescheduled for next week.

We were supposed to get our second shots today, but it has been postponed until March 1st. I don't know if it is because of the weather making it treacherous to get there or possibly the reason you stated, the shipment not getting there.

Besides weather the  major problem has been insufficient vaccine product8ion  to date . The Federal governments is responsible   to make sure sufficient quantities of vaccines are make available to the states & then the states are responsible to  make sure sufficient quantities  available to each county for distribution with in the counties  .Thus ,the first problem of manufacturing  millions of vaccine doses needs to be solved 

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Besides weather the  major problem has been insufficient vaccine product8ion  to date . The Federal governments is responsible   to make sure sufficient quantities of vaccines are make available to the states & then the states are responsible to  make sure sufficient quantities  available to each county for distribution with in the counties  .Thus ,the first problem of manufacturing  millions of vaccine doses needs to be solved 

The federal government doesn't make vaccines, private companies do. Please tell me how you can make 600 or 700 MILLION doses faster? You seem to be confident that it can be done faster. Please tell us...Pfizer, Moderna, J&J all need your expertise!!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The federal government doesn't make vaccines, private companies do. Please tell me how you can make 600 or 700 MILLION doses faster? You seem to be confident that it can be done faster. Please tell us...Pfizer, Moderna, J&J all need your expertise!!

We were not talking about  600 to 700 million doses but ,a steady stream of supply that would meet the local community  demand  with appointments . Still the Federal government imo  dropped the ball in this regard 

Edited by mcrcruiser

On 2/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, 57redbird said:

Good luck!

8 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We were not talking about  600 to 700 million doses but ,a steady stream of supply that would meet the local community  demand  with appointments . Still the Federal government imo  dropped the ball in this regard 

Disagree.. If you're willing to work with the system, you will get vaccinated. We received our second dose of Pfizer on 2/17.. and we're very happy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

59.6 million doses of vaccine have been administered in the US so far. That's pretty good. And Pfizer just announced that they will be doubling their delivery from 5 million to 10 million doses a week. From your previous posts it appears that their are doses available for you but they are too far away. Obviously you don't want it bad enough. There are stories of people driving hundreds of miles to receive their doses. Hire an Uber or a Limo if you don't want to make the drive. We received our 2nd doses Feb 5th so we're now past the 14 days for full efficacy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

The demand could easily be 50 million doses a week right now...or even a couple of weeks ago...but if the manufacturer can't meet that, it's the government's fault? Do you realize if we started creating a dose of Pfizer right now,  it wouldn't be ready for about 50 or so days, and that is a very recent improvement...previously it was 110 days to make a batch. So if they started a dose on the day Pfizer was authorized back in December,  it would have just gone into someone's arm a couple of days ago. 

As some might say, you need to meet them halfway...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Laminator said:

59.6 million doses of vaccine have been administered in the US so far. That's pretty good. And Pfizer just announced that they will be doubling their delivery from 5 million to 10 million doses a week. From your previous posts it appears that their are doses available for you but they are too far away. Obviously you don't want it bad enough. There are stories of people driving hundreds of miles to receive their doses. Hire an Uber or a Limo if you don't want to make the drive. We received our 2nd doses Feb 5th so we're now past the 14 days for full efficacy.

Just checked the local website for vaccinations in San Diego and there are appts available at the drive up site in Del Mar for 22/23/24 at the drive up facility for Pfizer.  Within 15 miles of mcrcruiser residence.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 7:01 AM, ontheweb said:

We were supposed to get our second shots today, but it has been postponed until March 1st. I don't know if it is because of the weather making it treacherous to get there or possibly the reason you stated, the shipment not getting there.

I'm now pretty sure it is because the shipment did not get there. I saw on the news that Los Angeles had to cancel, and I really, really doubt that they are having a problem with snow.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'm now pretty sure it is because the shipment did not get there. I saw on the news that Los Angeles had to cancel, and I really, really doubt that they are having a problem with snow.

There was an article here, in the Midwest, that Fedex was having an issue shipping the vaccines from their main hub in Memphis. So although weather was not an issue in LA it was an issue at the point of origin.

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Laminator said:

There was an article here, in the Midwest, that Fedex was having an issue shipping the vaccines from their main hub in Memphis. So although weather was not an issue in LA it was an issue at the point of origin.

Yes, that was what I meant when I said that Los Angeles did not have a snow problem; the weather problem was at the point of shipment. One newscast I heard said the drivers were having a problem getting to the hub.

I volunteered at the Del Mar Fairgrounds vaccine site twice in the last few days. I was an "observer" after people got the vaccine (I have no medical background so couldn't do intake or actually give the shot). I was outside setting timers to ensure people waited their 15 minutes and queried them to ensure they were feeling well, before releasing them. I did over 20,000 steps which is 10.2 miles in the 5 hour shift.

Without fail, everyone said that the process in Del Mar was very efficient and they were so happy to finally get the shot.  On Friday, they gave 500 shots. On Sunday, it was 1000. They are ramping up over the next few weeks to get to 6000/day. I will be volunteering at least once per week going forward. I am not eligible for a vaccine yet and hope to be able to get 1 of the leftovers at some point (they rightly go to any law enforcement volunteers, and then by age). On Fri, there were 5 left over. Yesterday, only 10. They run a very lean process!

There are lots of appointments available at Del Mar. I encourage everyone to take advantage of it if you are eligible. Del Mar is a drive up site. You never leave your car.  And it's fast. You will likely be in and out within 30 minutes. There are also plenty of appointments available at Grossmont Center  and South Bay (both currently have hundreds open every day). Also, lots of Fire/Rescue places are doing it. It is hard to get an appt at Petco site (lack of Moderna vaccines) and small pharmacies. But there are PLENTY of other places that have tons of availability.

If you live in San Diego county and are eligible, there is no excuse not to get a vaccine now - even if you have to drive a little ways. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

I volunteered at the Del Mar Fairgrounds vaccine site twice in the last few days. I was an "observer" after people got the vaccine (I have no medical background so couldn't do intake or actually give the shot). ..................

There are lots of appointments available at Del Mar. I encourage everyone to take advantage of it if you are eligible. Del Mar is a drive up site. You never leave your car.  And it's fast. You will likely be in and out within 30 minutes. There are also plenty of appointments available at Grossmont Center  and South Bay (both currently have hundreds open every day). Also, lots of Fire/Rescue places are doing it. It is hard to get an appt at Petco site (lack of Moderna vaccines) and small pharmacies. But there are PLENTY of other places that have tons of availability.

If you live in San Diego county and are eligible, there is no excuse not to get a vaccine now - even if you have to drive a little ways. 🙂 

I APPRECIATE you volunteering at Del Mar BUT I think you needed to ADD that CURRENTLY (02/22/21) the only vaccine available is Pfizer in San Diego County.  So many people are waiting to get their second dose of Moderna and have had their appt. cancelled because a new batch has not arrived in over one week.  I was lucky enough to get BOTH Pfizer vaccinations but my 90 year old father is waiting to get his SECOND Moderna vaccine. You should stay with the SAME vaccination you started with.  Not everyone is able to get their vaccines like you say.  Stay safe everyone and THANKS AGAIN for volunteering.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VacationCharlene said:

I APPRECIATE you volunteering at Del Mar BUT I think you needed to ADD that CURRENTLY (02/22/21) the only vaccine available is Pfizer in San Diego County.  So many people are waiting to get their second dose of Moderna and have had their appt. cancelled because a new batch has not arrived in over one week.  I was lucky enough to get BOTH Pfizer vaccinations but my 90 year old father is waiting to get his SECOND Moderna vaccine. You should stay with the SAME vaccination you started with.  Not everyone is able to get their vaccines like you say.  Stay safe everyone and THANKS AGAIN for volunteering.

You are correct! I should have been more specific. Everyone who is eligible, can get a FIRST vaccine.

Lots of people are getting rescheduled for their 2nd Moderna shot. When they have them, Petco is ONLY doing 2nd vaccines for Moderna. They aren't taking any appointments for 1st Moderna shots. They need to prioritize those that need their 2nd Moderna to ensure that they get vaccinated within the required time frame.

• Thanks 1