What does it say that we are still on Cruise Critic, reading and posting, with no cruises?

cl.klink

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

(I found it prior to our 3rd cruise.)

Cruise Critic did not exist when I first cruised, July, 1970.  Lots of water went under my keel from that time until I discovered CC once I became introduced to computers and the information/interactions with others that were so easily possible.  

On 1/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, sdnich said:

I have some  friends and family that think we are crazy to want to get back on a cruise ship We just booked two in the last couple weeks! But most of the people that think  we are crazy never liked and  some never tried but knew they would not like it .

sdnich,

Off the wall questions --
As I too want, desperately, to cruise again, I'm very leery, at least until I get my Covid shots.... so asking how did you determine that Sept 21 it would be safe to cruise again?
I've been browsing, searching, dreaming, fantasizing, etc about my next cruise and had my eye of the 10/27 Millennium... and saw in your signature that you've booked 9/21 on her....

Since Celebrity has suspended cruises through April 21.... aren't they to start with shorter itineraries, then advance to longer sailings.... yours is 10 days; my 10/27 is Panama Canal = 15 days...
And then add to the worry -- will the ports let us dock?  us to get off?

I've got way more questions, than answers.....

Kirk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

As I too want, desperately, to cruise again,

I just want to travel. Period. Don't care what the mode of transpo is. And with Pres. Biden now issuing a mandate for quarantine for seemingly every mode of group transpo it's going to be tough for quite a while. All year?

Hmmm, in reading this, I thought the first cruises maybe be 65-75 years and older if they have to be vaccinated to cruise.  They are getting vaccinated first.  

But what about the cruise staff?  Will they be able to get vaccinated?  They are much younger. 

Edited by Love.II.Cruise
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Love.II.Cruise said:

But what about the cruise staff?  Will they be able to get vaccinated?  They are much younger.

And many come from countries where vaccine availability will be limited for quite some time. I doubt the US, UK and EU will permit direct sales to cruise lines by their companies for quite a while.  

Maybe the cruise lines will work with the Chinese or Indian vaccine makers to provide doses for their crews. Of course this opens up another question, will people  be permitted to work on ships home ported in countries where the vaccine they took is not approved?

Edited by SelectSys

9 hours ago, Love.II.Cruise said:

Hey,

I believe it has been mentioned before, but the Cruise Lines can mandate (require) their staff to be vaccinated..... and they (Cruise lines) will find a way to make it happen.
So, if I can get my shots; they've vaccinated all crew, it ought to be reasonably safe?

Next step is any ports of call....vaccinated?  allow us to port? safe for us, or require a re-test to board?

Kirk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

Next step is any ports of call....vaccinated?  allow us to port? safe for us, or require a re-test to board?

You make a good point and your question above will require some critical thinking.....

Do you know where we can find any?

My thought is that we have yet to hear from the un-amalgamated global port vendors and proprietors whose revenue generating assets (taxis, buses, tenders etc..) have been sitting idle.   

The port vendors will co-operate swiftly when the time comes to re-open and they will be ready to satisfy the cruiselines because the cruiselines will recognize that passengers want to get off and walk the ports and see sights within walking distance as part of their cruise experience.

This may not be the case with the test cruises.

Edited by JRG

On 1/18/2021 at 5:26 AM, ilikeanswers said:

If I can't travel at least it is nice to talk about travel with whatever topics that are possible in this strange new world😉

Yes, it is just nice to be able to converse with folks who share the same interests.  

• Like 2

I read through everyone's comments and it occurs to me:  no cruises, no international travel, & many local activities shut down.  Then why is it I still don't have time to do all the things I want to and still can do!   😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Then why is it I still don't have time to do all the things I want to and still can do!   😀

Simple -- we have too many distractions. or is it just me?

• Browsing Cruise Critic
  • Organizing your sock drawer
  • Checking to see if I can get a Covid-19 shot, yet.. .nope, still 70+ here
  • Walking the dogs... yep, 22f today and I still walk!
  • watching the news?  or Market?
  • Looking at Celebrity's web site to see over-priced cruises.. that I don't want to go on
  • oh wait - now it's nap time
  • watching the snow fall?  (I'm in the mid-west)
  • finding something to snack on, before dinner
  • deciding where to order carry-out from
  • Looking at Amazon, Offer-up, Craigslist

Before the cold weather hit, I did do plenty of outside yard work...landscaping, new fence, etc.

'nuff said!

Kirk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

• Browsing Cruise Critic
  • Looking at Celebrity's web site to see over-priced cruises.. that I don't want to go on

Before the cold weather hit, I did do plenty of outside yard work...landscaping, new fence, etc.

'nuff said!

Kirk

And don't forget:

• watching cute animal videos on YouTube
  • Netflix
  • Words with Friends
  • standing in front of the refrigerator (also popular: standing in front of the microwave)
  • Organizing your digital photos from cruises and vacations in the past
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

• Browsing Cruise Critic

'nuff said!

Kirk

Yard work?  Now, let's not rush things.  😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 6:10 PM, cruisemom42 said:

And don't forget:

• watching cute animal videos on YouTube
  • Netflix
  • Words with Friends
  • standing in front of the refrigerator (also popular: standing in front of the microwave)
  • Organizing your digital photos from cruises and vacations in the past

I am addicted to Netflix

I play Words With Friends.

I have been reviewing my 60 photo albums 

I have been looking at all my school yearbooks wondering where people are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

Yep,

Not only are we this bored, I just saw that Canada is preventing all cruise ships till 2022!
There goes the 2021 Alaska cruising season.... wonder if this might trickle to other regions of the world?

Kirk

That has crossed my mind.

Just now, clo said:

Some were dupes or almost dupes, some weren't flattering, etc.

I would do that too if that were the case.I told my children that my wife and I were going through the 60 albums and we were going to get rid of pictures of bodies of water that we could not remember what they were.Our children said fine but do not get rid of pictures of people.

I post here as I find the opinions diverse yet there are very few flame wars that you find on other fora.   Sure there are some heated exchanges but people are reasonable here.  Besides that I can dream and plan my future travels.  Mulch of the information is useful even if I travel by means other than cruise

• Like 1