What does it say that we are still on Cruise Critic, reading and posting, with no cruises?

cl.klink

Some of us have formed a group bond and provided support to each other.  I started a thread on something silly back in March.  And, we still post on there, from the weather to health to COVID to travel to food to clothes appliances to politically correct politics 😁  It's been a welcome spot to check in and just have chats.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Some of us have formed a group bond and provided support to each other.  I started a thread on something silly back in March.  And, we still post on there, from the weather to health to COVID to travel to food to clothes appliances to politically correct politics 😁  It's been a welcome spot to check in and just have chats.  

The Silversea board has their "water cooler" thread where everything must be OT.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:29 PM, cl.klink said:

Virtually none of us have been on a cruise in nearly a year, and yet many (me included) are reading Cruise Critic daily, or near daily, and new topics and posts still come out.  I'm surprised and impressed we still have anything to post and discuss.  Mostly it's about the virus, vaccinations, virus related changes in our lives, cancelled cruises, credits and refunds, when and how cruising may/should return, how we or others should act when cruises return, and how governments and people and cultures and businesses (including cruise lines) are handling all of this.  But I think it's interesting, and in a way kinda good, that we keep coming here to have these discussions.

As a fun exercise, I went to February and March 2020 posts and re-read the topics.  The dominant themes where trip reviews, what ship or cabin to get or avoid, complaints and comments about food, loyalty perks, drink packages, horrible or wonderful customer service, judgments about other passengers' behaviors, what to do / see in ports.  These comments now read as petty from our current perspective, or at least read as not knowing how good we actually had it at the time. The first posts about the virus focused on the narrow limits of people or geography or bad behavior that a poster then thought was limiting the virus to other people and surely would not affect the rest of us.  With our 20:20 hindsight, these posts now read as optimistic wishful thinking or just the ignorance we had back then.  Makes me wonder what we (or others) will think a year or so from now, when reading the posts we are putting out now?

- Joel

A) If gives us hope to cruise once again ?

B) It is still free to post unlike some other boards

C ). We have friends who post on CC 

D) We are bored

E) All of the above

F) None of the above

• Haha 2

I can read about the virus and get myself worried, I can read about politics and get myself mad, or I can read about cruising and look forward to (I sure hope) going on a Hawaii cruise in October.  For the sake of my sanity, I'll take the third choice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

A) If gives us hope to cruise once again ?

B) It is still free to post unlike some other boards

C ). We have friends who post on CC 

D) We are bored

E) All of the above

F) None of the above

D, at least.

- Joel

35 minutes ago, AlanRRT said:

I can read about the virus and get myself worried, I can read about politics and get myself mad, or I can read about cruising and look forward to (I sure hope) going on a Hawaii cruise in October.  For the sake of my sanity, I'll take the third choice.

So true.

- Joel

57 minutes ago, AlanRRT said:

Ha!  I totally agree with you on that one! 😆

1 hour ago, Donald said:

If you are still posting daily on CC:

1) You have waaaay too much time on your hands.

or

2) You have no real life.

or

3) You work for a cruise line.

4) You're dutifully obeying public health orders and staying home so we aren't still in this situation in 2022 and beyond. Possibly feeling lonely and isolated. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Thinking to the future, I wonder how long our search for relevant information will take as we wade through thousands of irrelevant COVID threads like "When do you think we'll ever get back to cruising."

Or "when will cruising return to normal" threads.

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Thinking to the future, I wonder how long our search for relevant information will take as we wade through thousands of irrelevant COVID threads like "When do you think we'll ever get back to cruising."

I actually think the level of posting is lessened overall on cruise critic.  I doubt it will be all that difficult to "weed out" COVID threads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

On the CruiseCritic Homepage under From Our Editors is a tab for Cruise News.    It has the best up-to-date information and cruising articles I can find and it is right here under our noses.

I bet it is often overlooked too.

If everybody ready this daily then there might be more focus on what the real current issues are,  because they are so fluid.    

The threads would then be easier to wade through.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I think you will see a very slow restart of cruising in the 2nd quarter of 2021 with a very gradual ramping up over the next year.  My personal belief (posted many times here on CC) is that the key to restarting cruising will be a 100% vaccination policy.  Anything less will be doomed to COVID problems and may set back restarts by months or longer.   We have already seen this demonstrated with the various Ocean and River cruise restarts in Europe.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why do I continue to post?

I want to learn what others think and know.

I enjoy cruising and hope to be able to do more.  I am still in the need of being educated about cruising. 

I enjoy "conversing" with kindred souls.  

I enjoy doing so!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Probably about as much time as it takes now to weed through all of the old (and largely irrelevant) dress code threads and smoking threads from years past.

Like it or not, COVID is the dominating issue for cruising right now, more than most other industries or types of vacationing. What else is there to talk about -- there can be no reviews and it's hard to get excited about a roll call or destination planning when many of us have had multiple cruises canceled, or have canceled them ourselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think you will see a very slow restart of cruising in the 2nd quarter of 2021 with a very gradual ramping up over the next year.  My personal belief (posted many times here on CC) is that the key to restarting cruising will be a 100% vaccination policy.  Anything less will be doomed to COVID problems

I would like to agree with you in terms of start date, but I think 2nd quarter may be optimistic if a 100% vaccine requirement is required for both passengers and crew.   My own guestimate is shifting right to be more towards the end of the year.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think you will see a very slow restart of cruising in the 2nd quarter of 2021

Considering the myriad logistics of restarting I don't see that as remotely possible. I even canceled our cruise for early 3rd quarter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think you will see a very slow restart of cruising in the 2nd quarter of 2021 with a very gradual ramping up over the next year.  My personal belief (posted many times here on CC) is that the key to restarting cruising will be a 100% vaccination policy.  Anything less will be doomed to COVID problems and may set back restarts by months or longer.   We have already seen this demonstrated with the various Ocean and River cruise restarts in Europe.

Hank

Saga cruises are hoping to start in May; CC's News today has their report- only people who have had both injections and had the full 14 days afterwards will be allowed on their ships. Of course, the line caters for the over 50s, and at the rate the jabs are going, most 70+ should be clear by then, and probably the 60+.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:42 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why do I continue to post?

I want to learn what others think and know.

I enjoy cruising and hope to be able to do more.  I am still in the need of being educated about cruising. 

I enjoy "conversing" with kindred souls.  

I enjoy doing so!

Same here.

We continue to post to support Cruise Critic.  We are grateful to Cruise Critic and wished we had discovered it sooner.  We have learned so much (and have avoided making so many mistakes) simply by reading the different threads.  Thank you Cruise Critic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Same here.

We continue to post to support Cruise Critic.  We are grateful to Cruise Critic and wished we had discovered it sooner.  We have learned so much (and have avoided making so many mistakes) simply by reading the different threads.  Thank you Cruise Critic.

I second everything you said especially the part about wishing we had found it sooner. (I found it prior to our 3rd cruise.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1