Azamara cruise line sold

Steve Q

I fear that Azamara being divorced from a major cruise organisation may not be good in the long term.  Eventually, the R ships will need to be replaced and this comes at a significant cost.  

In the short term my thoughts are with the outstanding crew members who face even more uncertainty over and above Covid related issues.

Time will tell.

Regards

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

As noted in other threads Azamara was the only brand Royal hasn't been investing into so this doesn't come as a surprise.  All other RCG brands have orders in for new ships and have new builds in process or took new ship handovers during the pandemic.  I suspect RCG has been shopping Azamara for some time and the pandemic only delayed this announcement.    

I even think the selling of Azamara has already been the plan of RCG before they acquired Silversea.

• Like 2

OK lets look at it another way.

What the partners have seen is the strength of the onboard experience, the skills of the onboard management teams and the loyal customer base.  They recognise the brand was being held back by the ships and the level of investment by the parent company

So buy and also build new ships for them = a longer term investment in the equity portfolio

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

I even think the selling of Azamara has already been the plan of RCG before they acquired Silversea.

Could be.  The lack of investment in Azamara while signing major checks for SilverSea growth and then buying out the remaining shares of SS tells the story.

• Like 2

I saw elsewhere that the new owners will be bringing in former HAL president Orlando Ashford as some sort of "consultant." I'd be nervous about that if I were an Azamara loyalist. He made one wrong-headed move after another during his years with HAL.

• Like 1

bold move made by Fain thus far. Azamara was a waste for RCI.  Sycamore thought it would make a profit off Azamara.  Within 6-12 months they will just sell off the ships to another line. And make a 15-20% profit. Azamara was not too profitable for Royal anyway.

• Like 1

Not ready to cancel most of our bookings except one that we were not likely to take anyhow.

Willing to see what happens with the overall picture, our Loyalty program, etc.

Not that I would expect otherwise, but our TA just spoke to her rep and they said operations to go on as is and new itineraries being planned.  Will believe it when it is in writing.

• Like 3

I don't think that Azamara ever really had a easily identified brand for most consumers.  With only people "in the know" sailing them it was hard to attract new pax.  

Silvdersea is a much better fit fo RCL

Covid was the final head shot

I would Duse my credits sooner than later.  It could be that Azamara eventually goes away and the ships get folded into a competitor like Windstar

I would like to hear from the new owners very soon... My first reaction is negative. Will we keep our loyalty points and will they keep the itineraries that are planned?
The fact that Johannes and Tony are positive makes me somewhat comforted, but I will wait here on the fence for a while....

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 3

http://image.email.azamaraclubcruises.com/lib/fe5e157072600579721d/m/19/3f99e011-ba67-4734-b7d9-ed9474a32b6b.png
Dear Philip,
I am pleased to share that Azamara has entered into a definitive agreement to become part of Sycamore Partners, a premier private equity firm, that will play an important role in driving our brand forward and expanding our Destination Immersion® experiences for you, our valued guests.

Sycamore Partners is the ideal partner for the Azamara brand. It has an extensive record of investing in and elevating brands with significant potential and, through our partnership, we will accelerate our investment in our fleet and Destination Immersion®experiences. It is important to understand Azamara’s value proposition and operations will remain consistent under the new management. We are committed to maintaining the high guest engagement and once-in-a-lifetime experiences that make Azamara a unique and beloved upmarket cruise line.

With our inspired itineraries, iconic destination programming and the most engaging service at sea, combined with our unparalleled knowledge of destination experiences, we will continue to redefine what an immersive, authentic vacation can be. And, we will do so safely. Health and safety during our return to service remain top-of-mind throughout the transition period and beyond. Azamara guests should expect the same caliber of careful considerations they have always expected when traveling with Azamara. Azamara will adopt the same health and safety protocols as the Royal Caribbean Group, developed by the Healthy Sail Panel, a world-renowned group of public health experts.

Similar to other brands, Azamara has paused cruising until April 30, 2021. Specifically, current plans are to resume service on May 1 with Azamara Quest’s 14-night Black Sea sailing roundtrip and Azamara Journey’s six-night Amalfi & Adriatic Wonders voyage. As the brand prepares for its return-to-service, we will keep you updated on the latest dates and offerings.

This is an exciting time for the Azamara family, and I will keep you informed as this transition continues. The transaction is subject to customary conditions and is expected to close in the first quarter of 2021. We remain a full member of the Royal Caribbean Group until that time.

Until then, it is business as usual. If you have booked a voyage with Azamara, it remains unchanged. I encourage you to continue planning an exceptional holiday with us in 2021 and beyond. If you have questions about current travel options or any existing reservations, please call our customer care center.

Thank you for being a part of this exciting time in our history. We look forward to having you on board in the future. 
http://image.email.azamaraclubcruises.com/lib/fe5e157072600579721d/m/18/75e7c625-7021-4bed-8a01-62f9cf807fb6.png
Carol Cabezas
Chief Operating Officer, Azamara

Email from COO Carol Cabezas 

I am pleased to share that Azamara has entered into a definitive agreement to become part of Sycamore Partners, a premier private equity firm, that will play an important role in driving our brand forward and expanding our Destination Immersion® experiences for you, our valued guests.

Sycamore Partners is the ideal partner for the Azamara brand. It has an extensive record of investing in and elevating brands with significant potential and, through our partnership, we will accelerate our investment in our fleet and Destination Immersion® experiences. It is important to understand Azamara’s value proposition and operations will remain consistent under the new management. We are committed to maintaining the high guest engagement and once-in-a-lifetime experiences that make Azamara a unique and beloved upmarket cruise line.

With our inspired itineraries, iconic destination programming and the most engaging service at sea, combined with our unparalleled knowledge of destination experiences, we will continue to redefine what an immersive, authentic vacation can be. And, we will do so safely. Health and safety during our return to service remain top-of-mind throughout the transition period and beyond. Azamara guests should expect the same caliber of careful considerations they have always expected when traveling with Azamara. Azamara will adopt the same health and safety protocols as the Royal Caribbean Group, developed by the Healthy Sail Panel, a world-renowned group of public health experts.

Similar to other brands, Azamara has paused cruising until April 30, 2021. Specifically, current plans are to resume service on May 1 with Azamara Quest’s 14-night Black Sea sailing roundtrip and Azamara Journey’s six-night Amalfi & Adriatic Wonders voyage. As the brand prepares for its return-to-service, we will keep you updated on the latest dates and offerings.

This is an exciting time for the Azamara family, and I will keep you informed as this transition continues. The transaction is subject to customary conditions and is expected to close in the first quarter of 2021. We remain a full member of the Royal Caribbean Group until that time.

Until then, it is business as usual. If you have booked a voyage with Azamara, it remains unchanged. I encourage you to continue planning an exceptional holiday with us in 2021 and beyond. If you have questions about current travel options or any existing reservations, please call our customer care center.

Thank you for being a part of this exciting time in our history. We look forward to having you on board in the future.

Carol Cabezas
Chief Operating Officer, Azamara

Not unexpected but still a shock when it happens, initial thought was wondering what a Private Equity company would want other than to asset strip. However the positivity from Johannes and others makes me wonder if this is a MBO using private equity funding. Time will tell and we await more details, as the plan is to close the deal in the first quarter of 2021 it gives us plenty of time before we have to pay the balance for our September cruise in May, depending on operations restarting of course.

Raises hundreds of questions in my mind but we’re not going to get any answers for quite a while.

• Like 3

Not surprised at all and in fact was waiting for something to happen. Too many signs that RCL was not going to continue with Azamara. 1) not investing in new ships for Azamara while investing in Celebrity. 2) Celebrity moving to all inclusive 3) Larry leaving, Phillip leaving etc... 4) not treating loyal Azamara passengers with respect. 4) Silversea purchase.

RCL is making a great decision ditching Azamara and getting cash now rather than coming to the realization they ruined the brand through the loss of many loyal customers. 

Say goodbye to your points, free nights and maybe deposits and worthless 125% cruise credits. Glad I took the refund.

all the best

• Like 1