Will this be the future - "First Cruise Line (British Line Saga) is Mandating Vaccine in order to Sail"

boze9999

The British cruise line Saga Cruises, division of the Saga Group, specialized to meet the needs of passengers aged 50 and up, is the first cruise line to introduce the requirement for all guests to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before sailing. 

In a statement, Saga Cruises said that all guests must be vaccinated with two doses of the COVID 19 vaccine at least 14 days before boarding.

“We have welcomed the news that the COVID 19 vaccination programme has started to be rolled out across the country, with many of our guests amongst the first groups of people being offered the vaccine. In order to allow our guests sufficient time to be fully vaccinated, we have decided to delay the restart of our cruise programme which was due to commence on April 3 with Spirit of Discovery,” ” said Saga Cruises Chief Executive Officer, Nigel Blanks.

“Instead our programme will begin with Spirit of Adventure’s inaugural voyage on May 4 and our Secrets of Corsica and Sardinia cruise aboard Spirit of Discovery will now sail on the June 2. Our new vaccination policy will be in addition to the detailed arrangements we have already put in place for when cruises and other holidays restart.” 

The new policy will be in addition to the detailed arrangements Saga Cruises have already made in preparation for return to service, with the highest possible standards of health and safety protocols from Lloyd’s Register.

The following guests will not be permitted to board Saga ships: 

• •Guests who are not vaccinated
  • •Guests who have received only the first vaccination dose
  • •Guests who received their second dose less than 14 days before departure
  • •Guests who refuse to be vaccinated
  • •Guests who have been medically exempt from vaccination
  • Like 8

I hope all lines will require that passengers and crew will be vaccinated when availability is universal.  As many have pointed out, I had to have proof of small pox vaccination when I first started international travel and other vaccines have been mandatory for certain countries.  Oops....typing at the same time as RuthC.  We agree!

~Nancy

• Like 9

I expect it will become the norm for all cruise lines going forward. It offers the cruise lines some level of protection against liability......"all our passengers have been vaccinated so it's not our fault".

• Like 1

My crystal ball is fuzzy these days but FWIW, I suspect that proof of vaccination will be needed for some time to cruise, travel international and even international hotel stays.   JMO though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

I think that's a great policy and see no reason why people if they want to cruise do get their shots. 

I know there are those who do not intend to get their shots. I would be interested to hear what they would say about such a policy, and why they would think that they would not be banned from cruises and quite possibly other activities.

Disclaimer, I am not one of them, and DW and I are scheduled to get our first shots tomorrow.

• Like 2

Sorry guys, but dh and I are on the fence with this one.  We are waiting to see how others fare.  Since the vaccine does not prevent getting it or spreading it, and since both dh and I supposedly already had it we will wait first of all to all those who really should have it.  Elderly with preexisting conditions, first responders and

Medical personal.  Our cruise is almost a year away so we have plenty of time.  No one we know has it.  If our cruise isn't cancelled which it may wind up being we will consider it if HAL requires it.    At this point like lots of things it is a wait and see situation...

Speaking from a medical background (RN for 30 years) there will be people who due to allergies, reactions, autoimmune issues and so on who may not be able to take the vaccine. I fall into this category. I am all for vaccines but personally have had severe reactions to live and non-live vaccines due to overactivation of my immune system . Because of this I have never had the childhood vaccines, flu or other vaccines that most people get. I can also say I have not had any of the diseases either. So basically this vaccine could just give me some minor side effects or cause major issues for me. I have cruises booked for next year in the hope they have more answers for those of us with conditions that may prevent us taking this vaccine. But just because someone does not take the vaccine, it is not always because they just don't want to. If my doctor says it is safe I would take a chance and hope for the best. If not, well I don't have plan B yet....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boze9999 said:
  • •Guests who have received only the first vaccination dose
  • •Guests who received their second dose less than 14 days before departure
  •  

Strange that a British company seems to be ignoring the fact that the British AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccination only needs one shot.

• Like 3

I hope this becomes the requirement.  Not only do I not want to get the virus, or unintentionally spread it, I selfishly want to significantly reduce the chance of someone contracting the virus and having the cruise halted early.  I also think that a fully-vaccinated cruise ship (or cruise line) would be much more likely to be welcomed into a foreign country, and being from the US that's where I am most interested in travel. A vaccine won't prevent 100% of the cases, but it significantly reduces the likelihood of spread.

In time when the pandemic is fully controlled, this rule could be relaxed.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Hflors said:

Sorry guys, but dh and I are on the fence with this one.  We are waiting to see how others fare.  Since the vaccine does not prevent getting it or spreading it, and since both dh and I supposedly already had it we will wait first of all to all those who really should have it.  Elderly with preexisting conditions, first responders and

Medical personal.  Our cruise is almost a year away so we have plenty of time.  No one we know has it.  If our cruise isn't cancelled which it may wind up being we will consider it if HAL requires it.    At this point like lots of things it is a wait and see situation...

Actually it is unknown about the getting or spreading it.  The clinical trials did not test that aspect.  It may very well prevent getting it or spreading it.  However they will need to do other trials and tests to determine that, and additional work will have to be done to determine how to effectively test for both.

The trials were done using symptomatic disease as the criteria because it was relatively easy to test for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Strange that a British company seems to be ignoring the fact that the British AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccination only needs one shot.

AZ clinical trials and protocol are for 2 shots.

8 hours ago, nocl said:

AZ clinical trials and protocol are for 2 shots.

You are correct and I apologise for posting erroneous information.  I really don't know what I was thinking about yesterday.  (My head was a bit fried as I had just been informed of the death of a cousin due to Covid,  and my DW starting radiotherapy for breast cancer).

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

You are correct and I apologise for posting erroneous information.  I really don't know what I was thinking about yesterday.  (My head was a bit fried as I had just been informed of the death of a cousin due to Covid,  and my DW starting radiotherapy for breast cancer).

Condolences for your cousin, and a wish for a recovery for your DW.

I think it is an excellent policy and I think many lines will be issuing the same or similar rule within the next few weeks including Holland America.  Now how long that policy will be enforced is questionable.   

the CDC and their international counterparts, which have been modifying their guidance, may decide that children below a certain age don’t need the vaccine.  

• Like 2

I personally hope Holland America and the other cruise lines institute this as a policy as long as the disease is around.  I assume that the vaccine requirement will replace the need to follow the current guidelines of mask wearing, social distancing , etc. while on the ship so that the cruise itself is more like what we have been used to.  I would also expect the cruise lines to have their entire staffs vaccinated as well.

I realize that the current vaccines are not 100% effective (although they are highly effective), but even if someone on the ship comes down with the virus this requirement should avoid the need for a full ship quarantine.