Booking an handicap cabin if not disabled?

pmatawan

Now I am nervous and feel terrible....I booked a handicap room for my mother.  She uses a walker and has significant mobility and balance issues, and will likely use a scooter for the cruise.  The walk-in shower and higher toilet are must-haves for her.  However, she is not actually wheel-chair bound.   Did I do the wrong thing?  I will change her cabin but honestly thought she qualified. 

**Edited to add - this was booked through a PCC to whom I explained the situation, I didn’t just book it on my own.

Edited by mdempsey78

2 minutes ago, mdempsey78 said:

Now I am nervous and feel terrible....I booked a handicap room for my mother.  She uses a walker and has significant mobility and balance issues, and will likely use a scooter for the cruise.  The walk-in shower and higher toilet are must-haves for her.  However, she is not actually wheel-chair bound.   Did I do the wrong thing?  I will change her cabin but honestly thought she qualified. 

Why would you change her cabin?  She's obviously handicapped if she uses a walker and a scooter.

27 minutes ago, mdempsey78 said:

**Edited to add - this was booked through a PCC to whom I explained the situation, I didn’t just book it on my own.

You don't need to feel guilty nor terrible, at all.  Your mother's situation is exactly the kind of person who deserves to have a Handicap cabin.  It will make it so much easier for her to maneuver with her walker since there will be additional space.  She qualifies so, please, don't change her cabin, she deserves it!! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Why would you change her cabin?  She's obviously handicapped if she uses a walker and a scooter.

I wasn’t sure if there was some official designation that she wouldn’t qualify for since she does not normally use a wheel chair.  She can walk, but not well for long distances.  

55 minutes ago, mdempsey78 said:

Did I do the wrong thing?

Absolutely not.

The rails will help with her balance issues. You did exactly what should have been done.  

21 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Your mother's situation is exactly the kind of person who deserves to have a Handicap cabin.  It will make it so much easier for her to maneuver with her walker since there will be additional space.  She qualifies so, please, don't change her cabin, she deserves it!! 

+1

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, pmatawan said:

I was chatting with an NCL agent to find out the SF of cabins 5140,5138 on the Getaway as they look much larger then the other oceanviews.

The agent indicated that these cabins can not be booked unless you need a wheelchair.

The NCL site appears to allow me to book these cabins without any warnings about needing to be disabled.

So I come here for the truth....

I am disabled and normally book a year in advance to get an accessible cabin.In September 2018 I tried to book one for October 2019 on the Dawn.I was told that they are all booked.

I asked if all the people were disabled and was told that they were.I was told there are many available cabins on the ship,but I can only book an Accessible.The agent said that he would check every few weeks to see if there would be cancellations. I replied that I do not believe that all of the people are disabled because on a prior cruise I over heard people bragging about how they got the really large accessible cabin and were not disabled.

In June 2019 the NCL agent called and said there was a cabin available.

We had one once.  I booked directly thru NCL...I don't remember the details.  I remember being told I'd be moved if a handicapped person wanted it.  It was probably assigned as a last minute guarantee.

I really didn't like the cabin...I think the shower in the bathroom took up the whole bathroom (I may be confusing it with something else).

Whatever it was...I wouldn't book again.

I don't see anything wrong with booking a handicapped cabin as long as you know you may be moved.

38 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't see anything wrong with booking a handicapped cabin as long as you know you may be moved.

The problem is that the person who actually needs the stateroom won't see that stateroom as available when trying to book. 

39 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It was probably assigned as a last minute guarantee.

That is a different scenario. If there is a stateroom available after final payment date (for ex.) and NCL assigns the stateroom, there is no problem. A person trying to book would have seen that stateroom as available before it was assigned by NCL. 

41 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The problem is that the person who actually needs the stateroom won't see that stateroom as available when trying to book. 

You're right.  But, I don't think the system allows you to book unless you say that you are handicapped.  Unfortunately there are a lot of selfish people out there.

The OP said that they were available to book....but he didn't go thru the entire process of booking....so he doesn't know if it was really bookable.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:28 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

I believe that the OP is suggesting that wheelchair accessible staterooms should only show up as an option if the person booking checks the box. The way that it is now, anyone (even if by accident) can select one even if not needed.

Actually, this isn't necessarily the case. Once you choose an accessible cabin during the online booking process, sometimes you will get a pop-up notification letting you know this is an accessible cabin and asking you to acknowledge that you need these facilities.  Not sure why it doesn't always happen, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 4:09 PM, mdempsey78 said:

Your mother absolutely qualifies for the room!  Complete the access desk paperwork to document her need for the room wheelchair bound is not a requirement.

1 hour ago, sparkygirlfamily said:

Your mother absolutely qualifies for the room!  Complete the access desk paperwork to document her need for the room wheelchair bound is not a requirement.

please be aware that one does not need to be "wheelchair bound" to be classified as handicapped.

i believe your mother will more than meet the criteria

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, sandycruzr said:

I once booked an inside guarantee cabin for back to back Southern Carribean cruise on RCL. Imagine my shock when we were assigned a handicapped balcony cabin!  It was a huge upgrade from an inside but I felt very uncomfortable about using this cabin.  We went to Guest Services to let them know That we were wrongly assigned a handicapped balcony.  (My husband actually had a cast on his arm from hand surgery). The GS rep said “no you are fine enjoy your cabin”. I explained that my husband was not handicapped and we feel uncomfortable using this cabin.  She said the cabin was not

need by any passengers and if it is needed we will be moved out.  The cabin and the balcony were huge but we did get more than a few “looks” from other passengers when leaving our clearly marked handicapped cabin. One passenger came made a snarky comment about “people pretending to be handicapped “. Ugh!! Sure enough on day 6 a passenger was injured and we were moved to an inside cabin. All in all, it was not a good experience!

I wish non handicapped people felt guilty about parking in handicap spots.they don't though.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 3:46 PM, mdempsey78 said:

I wasn’t sure if there was some official designation that she wouldn’t qualify for since she does not normally use a wheel chair.  She can walk, but not well for long distances.  

Like the Handicap sticker placard license plate on your vehicle - you do not have to be wheelchair

bound - simple walking issues requiring a walker - other health problems requiring the wheelchair

scooter crutches etc. The distances on the mega ships can be as much as three football fields

requiring a mechanical aid and not to mention about going up and down decks (elevators).

Note the standard cabin doors are 30-32 inches the handicap wheelchair accessible is 36 inches.

Handicap cabins are usually situated in the center of the ship near elevators for ease in 

accessibility.

On my first cruise (2006) my traveling partner was using a walker and I had booked a handicap cabin

central location for ease and convenience - He passed away a few weeks before the cruise and being committed to the cruise I elected to go. I told the cruise line (not NCL) about this situation and

was rewarded with a mini-suite on an upper deck (first cruise spoiled rotten). It is the right thing

to do - if you need the cabin well and good - if not advise the cruise line and let them take it from there !

If prior to the cruise you become handicapped and need a/the HC cabin let the cruise line know

and you may be the bumpee of someone not needing the facility or assigned a cabin that best

suits the needs of your disability.

There is no need to cruise in distress or pain mental or in physical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Most of the lines now I have to click to confirm that I actually need an accessible cabin before it will let me goon, with warning of the consequences 

I tried 3 lines just now....

MSC will let you book an accessible stateroom. All that you have to do is select it. Nothing to check or confirm.

Celebrity will "grey-out" accessible staterooms if the wheelchair accessible box is not checked. 

NCL will let you book an accessible stateroom (such as a M1 on Breakaway). All that you have to do is select it. Nothing to check or confirm.

It's sad that some lines do it correctly while others don't seem to care.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I tried 3 lines just now....

MSC will let you book an accessible stateroom. All that you have to do is select it. Nothing to check or confirm.

Celebrity will "grey-out" accessible staterooms if the wheelchair accessible box is not checked. 

NCL will let you book an accessible stateroom (such as a M1 on Breakaway). All that you have to do is select it. Nothing to check or confirm.

It's sad that some lines do it correctly while others don't seem to care.

Although you will be able to book online, you will subsequently get an email notification asking you to certify your need and outline your requirements.  You could ignore that, I guess - however as a disabled person, I NEED to fill that out because I actually have special needs which are relayed to the Access Officer onboard.  I can't imagine someone booking an accessible cabin and not wanting to have the Access team be aware in advance that you are coming. (Also, not filling out the "paperwork" - for some lines it is an online form - also is an indicator to the Access Officer onboard that you may not actually need the cabin in case they need to utilize it during the cruise for someone with an actual need - e.g. someone who broke a leg during a cruise, or a disabled person whose original cabin had issues.)

The Access Officer on each ship knows each of their accessible cabins and is (should be) aware of each of those guests' needs. They will send special communication (letters, calls) and most times reach out personally. If you are disabled, the Access Officer will arrange for you to have a personal safety drill in your cabin, arrange special port disembarkation assistance, call you (or have someone call you) during rough seas to check on you, etc. and all the things that make your vacation easier!

(PS. If you don't need this type of assistance, that may be a barometer of whether or not you actually need an accessible cabin.)

28 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Although you will be able to book online, you will subsequently get an email notification asking you to certify your need and outline your requirements. 

I understand but my point was that once I (theoretically) book the M1 (for ex.), that stateroom will show as unavailable/sold out and someone who needs that stateroom won't be able to book it. In the NCL example, there are only 2 M1s and they are usually sold out. It took me a few tries to find one or both available but once I did,  they were simple to get. Someone who didn't notice the symbol could easily book one and not know. If they eventually received something from NCL, the person might change staterooms but a person who needed the accessible stateroom would have seen it as sold out.

The way that Celebrity and RCCL handle it is better than how NCL and MSC handle it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

Although you will be able to book online, you will subsequently get an email notification asking you to certify your need and outline your requirements.  You could ignore that, I guess - however as a disabled person, I NEED to fill that out because I actually have special needs which are relayed to the Access Officer onboard.

Re MSC and the certification requirements: When we cruised on MSC with a friend that needed a scooter, he was told if the information was not received (I forget the time frame after initial booking), he would lose the cabin and be reassigned to a non-accessible cabin.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 4:08 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

Truth?  If you do totally disrespect disabled people by booking these cabins when you are not disabled not only is it a total jerk wad move on your part and you being a total tard, but also there is a high probability that you will be moved to whatever cabin NCL chooses to move you to when they realize that you are doing so.

So true. If someone doesn’t need a HC room they shouldn’t book it. It leaves the true HC person not being able to book a cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:57 PM, pcakes122 said:

I'm disabled but won't get on a soapbox about why this is wrong.  I will, however, let you know that you should be prepared to move mid-cruise if the cabin is needed for someone with a disability.  I was moved twice during cruises - once because of faulty plumbing in my cabin and another time for a balcony door that wouldn't properly close.  Since I am disabled, the Accessibility Manager onboard had to check the passenger records for anyone booked in an accessible cabin that did not have the appropriate documentation of their disability on file (not exactly sure how they do that.)  All I know is that people were bumped to move me.  The first time was a couple of nurses and I believe they had to take a downgrade.  I sent them chocolate covered strawberries (even though it wasn't my fault that NCL couldn't fix the plumbing in my cabin.)

So, just a heads-up that it could happen.

I'm not disabled but I ended up breaking a leg and having surgery shortly before a cruise.  Luckily they were able to work things out for me as I needed more room to shower (and sit) due to the cast.  I was really worried about those elevated bathrooms and tiny showers in an older ship, it would have been miserable for me.  I realized how difficult it is to get around older ships from that experience, I gained a lot of perspective about what disabled folks deal with from that experience. 

Edited by RunBikeCruiseDC
  • Like 1

I have been a frequent wheelchair user for the last 15+ years. Yes I can walk, I am also very good at falling down. I am fortunate that I can get by with a non handicapped room, but it causes a lot of difficulties, including

needing someone to go pretty much everywhere on the shop with me, as many of the doors are just too heavy to open while manoeuvring a wheelchair

my dear wife having to man handle my chair in and out of our cabin as they need to be folded to fit through the doorway

So please if you don’t really need it don’t book it. As a side note don’t judge someone’s level of disability on the fact that you see them at some stage not using a wheelchair, there are many that have mobility, albeit often extremely limited.

• Like 3

My understanding with other lines is that handicapped cabins are reserved for those who need them and only released to others at some point a few weeks (maybe a month?) before sailing.  By then, they assume that anyone needing a handicapped cabin would have booked it.

Years ago, my whole family (20 in all) was booked on a Princess cruise to Alaska, and just a few weeks before we were scheduled to go, my dad (who had needed a walker already) suffered a stroke and would need a wheelchair to get around for a while.  We were so thankful that the ship still had a handicapped cabin available, so Dad was able to cruise in comfort.