The Daily for Thursday Jan 28, 2021

richwmn

today is Data Privacy Day, Fun at Work Day, and National Kazoo Day

Nobody wants constructive criticism.  It's all we can do to put up with constructive praise.

Meal suggestion for today - New England Lamb Bake

Drink of the Day - Midori Colada

Wine of the day - Luca 2018 Old Vine Malbec (Uco Valley) Mendoza Province

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Koningsdam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

English Channel
Zaandam desination Troquay eta 1/29

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam

0128USA.thumb.png.8f47f952909222e39ad1f2b5cad8b2fe.png

0128Torquay.thumb.png.ccb17075ec8d9ebca3aedcc48cd6b7ef.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Friday eve Daily, Rich.  We must safeguard our data privacy.  Fun at work is a great idea.  It's been a while since I've seen a kazoo.  I love the quote.  I'm not quite sure what's involved in a New England Lamb Bake but I don't eat enough meat to keep various kinds around the house.  My home selections are mostly poultry, and I love lamb when cruising.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef  au jus, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam January 28, 2019,

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes28.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Cat shepard undergoing melanoma treatment

Mamaofami’s friend’s final days, but resting comfortably

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s nephew and her BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Remembeing our space heroes, Appolo1, Challenger, and Columbia

Appolo13 flight and support crews

Dismomx5 preparing to move

First jabs for my brother, and for Cruising-along

A convenient appointment for smitty34877

StLouisCruiser visiting her MIL

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Earlybirds.  Love the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Data privacy is more important than ever.  Fun at Work?  Right now, that means Fun at Home!🙂  I'll pass on the kazoo playing.

The quote is too true!

Dinner sounds interesting, but we don't have any lamb.

Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day and the wine.

Praying for our world.

RIP Cloris Leachman

Stay safe.

Edited by puppycanducruise
  • Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Always loved the sound of kazoos. Dat Privacy is so important these days. Fun at work, well I guess I could have fun working in the garden or around the house. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. I do appreciate you adding me for today. Morning Dailyites! Thank you all again for caring! 

Interesting quote. I spent my formative years in New England and never heard of a Lamb Bake. Now a clam bake - I knew & loved them!  The drink sounds interesting.  @Dismomx5- good luck on your move!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

Fans of full-bodied, bold wines, might want to add this to your list. Might be a bit tough to find. But this Argentina Malbec has Excellent ratings. I found one online distributor that sold a magnum for $81.90.

#4 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

JS94 James Suckling: Blueberries and black tea with volcanic salt and violets on the nose and palate Medium to full body and fine, silky tannins. Savory finish. Drink or hold.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast: Concentrated black-fruit aromas alongside hints of cardamom and coriander open this lush Malbec. Blackberry, cassis and dark plum flavors are pure and agile on the palate.

Editor's Choice

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday!  Thank you Rich and Roy.  We all have to watch our data.  I'll pass on the Kazoo Day.  No fun at work here,  it's fun at home.  And we'll pass on the meal, do not care for lamb.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  Shout out to our other list, I hope the vaccine jabs are painless.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Midori Colada:

INGREDIENTS
2  ounces Midori melon liqueur 2  ounces coconut milk 1 ounce coconut rum 4  ounces pineapple juice ice maraschino cherry
DIRECTIONS
In a blender, combine ingredients (except cherry) with ice until well blended.
Pour into tall glass and garnish with cherry.
Insert straw and sip.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 7.22.04 AM.png

• Like 17

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Data privacy - so important, but it seems 12 year olds know how to get around it.  It seemed there were very few days I didn't have fun at work; maybe it was my attitude, but I really enjoyed my job.  Now I have fun at home.  I'd rather have fun on a Dam ship, though.  I'm pretty sure we have a kazoo somewhere around the house - I'm not going to mention it to DH though, because he'll likely go and find it.  LOL

Well the cold weather did a number on my car battery; it wouldn't start, and after waiting 3 hours for a tow truck to come and boost it, we finally had to give it the last rites and buy a new one.  I guess that's the "frozen tundra" version of the appliance replacement.

@cat shepardgood luck with your procedure today; I'm sure the anticipation is much worse than the actual event.

We spoke with dear friends who live in a small town in our province, only to find that they had their Covid vaccinations yesterday.  Their health unit called on Sunday asking if they'd like them (they're 83 and 85), and of course, they jumped at the offer.  I was delighted for them, but realized there doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to our vaccine roll-out.  I only hope there are vaccines available when it comes to their second dose next month.

I looked up the recipe for today's menu suggestion, and while I really like it, DH doesn't care for lamb at all, so I'm going to make it using beef - minus the leeks which I don't have, nor have I ever used.   I've got some tomatoes and cucumbers that need to be eaten, so will turn them into a Greek salad to serve with the casserole and that will be dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

36 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Friday!  Thank you Rich and Roy.  We all have to watch our data.  I'll pass on the Kazoo Day.  No fun at work here,  it's fun at home.  And we'll pass on the meal, do not care for lamb.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  Shout out to our other list, I hope the vaccine jabs are painless.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Midori Colada:

INGREDIENTS
2  ounces Midori melon liqueur 2  ounces coconut milk 1 ounce coconut rum 4  ounces pineapple juice ice maraschino cherry
DIRECTIONS
In a blender, combine ingredients (except cherry) with ice until well blended.
Pour into tall glass and garnish with cherry.
Insert straw and sip.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 7.22.04 AM.png

This drink sounds good!

• Like 2

Good Morning Rich.  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report. I also never heard of a "Lamb Bake" although I love a leg of lamb on land or sea.  I also love Prime Rib.  I had an opportunity for a covid shot on the 11th but I will bein Florida then.  So I will get mine at 11:00 Am on Febuary 17th. Ir is ask Wednesday but I will get the bloody shop between sevices.  Have a good day to all my fellow DAILYITES.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Himself said:

Good Morning Rich.  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report. I also never heard of a "Lamb Bake" although I love a leg of lamb on land or sea.  I also love Prime Rib.  I had an opportunity for a covid shot on the 11th but I will bein Florida then.  So I will get mine at 11:00 Am on Febuary 17th. Ir is ask Wednesday but I will get the bloody shop between sevices.  Have a good day to all my fellow DAILYITES.

ASH Wednesday if Feb. 17th.  I return from Florida on the 16th. I look forward to getting out the cold.

• Like 4

Well, you can tell we've been locked up way too long since we don't know what day of the week it is.   I had that problem all last week.  

Today's fun at work will be priming my bedroom after last week's drywall repair.  I had to replace part of the ceiling and the drywall around the window.  I gave it a week to make sure the mud was dry.  At least that is my excuse.  

Kazoo day reminds me of the time my dad bought all six of us kids kazoos to keep us occupied during our road trip from New York state home to Michigan.  We played them all 550 miles.  Mom was not a happy camper.

Dinner is interesting.  You can make it with beef, according to the recipe.   It shouldn't be too hard to assemble if you get the leg of lamb boned at the butcher.  I'm not a fan of lamb, so probably won't try this one.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/new-england-lamb-bake/

Prayers for all as we all need them, even in good times.  @cat shepardI hope all goes well today.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 16

Good morning. I actually made it to the first page today because I’m up early for my zoom book club. We read a book no one seems to have liked, so it should be an interesting discussion.

Does anyone really have data privacy anymore? I know someone who has an app on his phone that tracks his grandkids and can tell where they’re going at all times. I don’t know if the grands know, but mine would not be happy about that.

We’re overnighting some N95 real masks that DH got from the American Dental Society to our grandson for his plane trip tomLA this weekend so he can get his car out of  the towing lot. Hopefully, he learned his lesson and will read street signs more carefully now.

We’re in for a real cold spell the next few days so I plan on staying in. Wish I had a fireplace. This is our first house without one.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 17

Good Morning everyone from a cool and windy day at the beach. I have never heard of a Lamb Bake but as a former New Englander, a clam bake is right up my alley! I do like lamb especially those little lamp chops in the Pinnacle Grill!

I saw a Royal Caribbean ship coming in today. Surprised as I have not seen anyone but Disney in months. Not sure why she is here. May have to check it out!

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning. I actually made it to the first page today because I’m up early for my zoom book club. We read a book no one seems to have liked, so it should be an interesting discussion.

Does anyone really have data privacy anymore? I know someone who has an app on his phone that tracks his grandkids and can tell where they’re going at all times. I don’t know if the grands know, but mine would not be happy about that.

We’re overnighting some N95 real masks that DH got from the American Dental Society to our grandson for his plane trip tomLA this weekend so he can get his car out of  the towing lot. Hopefully, he learned his lesson and will read street signs more carefully now.

We’re in for a real cold spell the next few days so I plan on staying in. Wish I had a fireplace. This is our first house without one.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

Would you share the title, please? I am always looking for book recommendations or in this case maybe a recommendation not to read!

• Like 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’m late today as Marley had an early vet appointment to get his sutures removed.  His nose passed the vet’s inspection and he will be able to play with his brother in another two days.  They will be two happy dogs when they can play again.  These two guys are really good buddies and this reminds me of the deal Marley made with Miko when Miko arrived here:

D48D3150-E6A2-4F60-B436-928E891869C2.jpeg.5232d596cec772d2fb63fca333cd3929.jpeg

Data privacy is must and if people can have fun whether at work or at home, all the better.  I HAVE to celebrate Kazoo day says kazu 😄 

LOl on the quote.  As my friend said to me,

9CA69B7E-BE96-4061-B602-E9B1E96DD8B4.thumb.jpeg.0cc388efd8db3ee094c909ea5030de42.jpeg

@Dismomx5good luck with your move and @cat shepardgood luck with your procedure today.

@ger_77sorry about the death of your battery due to the frozen tundra.

Wish I had some lamb in the fridge/freezer.  That lamb bake sounds delish.  I might try it with beef.  

Been a busy morning with the vet and all the things I’ve achieved:

2AD28E09-5451-439F-9585-AF23C82C8214.jpeg.e9728fdf30eeb330caa3c1e85d0502f9.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a huge toast for those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 21
  • Haha 4

What is this Work thing of which you speak? It sounds vaguely familiar....

I will finish up the Grand Canyon pictures today. 

1381556425_DSC00789(2).thumb.JPG.7b7d27e4215059157f916366959c62f0.JPG

DSC00790.thumb.JPG.3518a858118910856cff8ba4861bf4b1.JPG

1094926139_DSC00799(2).thumb.JPG.39db35f07944c698b74af01c0e7e4685.JPG

On the train ride back to Williams, they staged a somewhat cheesy "train robbery".  It seemed pretty harmless to us, but a boy near us (around 6 years old) was terrified. He hid under his seat for the whole thing! 

DSC00804.thumb.JPG.9c25f521ae1f6ce9249b98598f1d242a.JPG

• Like 19

Good morning, all! A good collection of days. I sometimes miss the fun at work, the people on my watch were a good crew to sail with. The lamb bake sounds good, but Roy’s Prime Rib is the winner for me. I would love to try a Midori Colada!
@cat shepardit will all be over soon, but a large glass of wine today too will surely help recovery go smoothly. @ger_77sorry to hear about the car battery. That extreme cold is murder on car parts! To all who are getting hazy about what day it is, I’ll put this now instead of the end:

CD64DA88-D3CF-4963-9E38-A934B367458A.thumb.jpeg.300b426e90e34f9e1fa4eefbe84ff58b.jpeg

If it’s any consolation, the fb group for those of us on the 2020 GWV has had people posting memories of (almost) visiting the Falkland Islands exactly a year ago for three consecutive days. Everyone agrees it was January 28, the disconnect is when the 28th is this year.😄

It was indeed a year ago today when we arrived at the Falklands along with the Celebrity Eclipse. Our security officer later shared a video of the tender dock we were to use - the waves were washing right over it. Needless to say they didn’t take passengers ashore!

A1E59715-9985-4365-A59F-9B3DC3392582.thumb.jpeg.9d882169a6285699cb59515d22addbc6.jpeg

Stanley comes into view, and we anchor at our assigned spot.

B539FAA3-1880-46B1-B027-66C63C8A1BA2.thumb.jpeg.4cf7ea18db9e65f269abf077f6841229.jpeg

Waiting for the go/ no go verdict.

E04E4CD4-C699-4066-94D0-971150E81547.thumb.jpeg.b253281410371de2f4754f3bc0c07d92.jpeg

The Harbour Authority says no - go.

5FD8B215-9F5B-4065-B5DF-8C8CB723D13B.thumb.jpeg.78edde103d94b56420fe386a52eb7336.jpeg

Celebrity Eclipse was ahead of us, and got 200 passengers ashore before tender operations were shut down. The rest of the day was spent trying to get them back, so their excursions were cancelled, too.

376523F9-63CC-4BB7-88F7-FE3666B1050F.thumb.jpeg.c2a26352b496e6e78e87e13df56ed58b.jpeg

A view of Stanley from the aft Lido deck - the closest we were going to get.

34516425-B1A7-4CEB-A28D-2C31BE15FFD7.thumb.jpeg.db6a8e5c0c57fcf6efe29b6d12e94ff8.jpeg

54384B7F-63B7-4417-8314-39A78E79B562.thumb.jpeg.3fb6ba2ddfa2db9498801f9c19576894.jpeg

Views of shore as we sail away.

777BCF47-87B7-487D-A5FE-3D33071BCBB7.thumb.jpeg.78eefbcb87ffefe7da3af42891ca5e43.jpeg

B52D9F5C-BD6A-4F25-B6DD-7ABDFEF99493.thumb.jpeg.d91d06ddd18d89166cf4cc4d3af5ac55.jpeg
BBAA0E5A-88E5-4C13-90BA-6B02B7E4A756.thumb.jpeg.b7b093ebc62d3761a5f858c2656fa136.jpeg

Sunset from our cabin on Dolphin Deck in a lively sea!

Next stop, Antarctica!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning on a cold and snowy day.  We got about two inches overnight.  Most folks here don’t handle snow well, too little practice driving in it.  The next few days will be quite chilly so everyone stay safe and warm.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 11