The Daily for Wednesday Feb 3, 2021

richwmn

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy, and the drinks and recipes ladies, for starting the day off right!  Still no vaccine in Canada, but perhaps some will be coming in later this week.  

How come you always get up so late Ann ..........? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the daily.

I have heard of the Day the Music Died, but was a small child when it happened.

Not sure what's for dinner tonight.

@Sharon in AZ Good news that your DM is doing well!

@KirkNC Good thought for your Sister & BIL

@ger_77 Mmmm, carrot cake. I haven't made one in ages since it's just me here. Tomato soup cake? Sounds interesting. Cool about your DH.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list. Congrats to all who've gotten their shots.

Stay safe, social distance, wear your double mask.

• Like 13

54 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I've promised to help at the Vaccine Clinic later today, so my bubbly will come tonight.  I DID celebrate with an extra cup of coffee!

55 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I've promised to help at the Vaccine Clinic later today, so my bubbly will come tonight.  I DID celebrate with an extra cup of coffee!

👍

• Like 3

Good morning.  Feed the birds day reminded me to to refill the hummingbird feeders.  I remember hearing the news about the plane crash, but was not old enough to understand the loss to the music world.    @garlictownWe listen to the 50s and 60s channels on Sirius in the car. 

@KirkNCSorry about your DS and BIL. 

@ger_77 Interesting about your DH in the Rolling Stone article. 

@lcand1923 @kb4683 @cat shepard Congratulations on your second and first shots.  We will be interested in hearing about any reactions to the second Pfizer shot since we get ours in two weeks.

@lcand1923 Great that you are volunteering at the clinic.

@65 Gator So sorry about the two old crabs giving you a hard time.  There always seems to be one or two in every group.  So nice most are thanking you and are appreciative.  We certainly appreciate all those working at the site where we got our shot. 

@mamaofami Hope you got your driveway cleared and made it safely to your appointment.

A few weeks ago, I thought I would be able to post some of the pictures DH captured with his new telescope this year.  Unfortunately, the skies and the moon have not been cooperating.  last week, we worked on some he took last fall, and here is one of Andromeda.

983063032_AndromedaGalaxy.thumb.jpeg.b0810b9a6288258e71c16ab6a030b9d5.jpeg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the Rolling Stone Magazine article on Joni Mitchell; DH is the second of the 3 men named as having taught Joni how to play the guitar.  They also used DH's line that after a couple of weeks she was better than all three of them ever could be.  Cool! 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/joni-mitchell-inside-early-years-box-set-1081429/

For those of you interested in the tomato soup cake recipe, here it is:

image.jpeg.952fe9b975cf24589f55fe3db22562ba.jpeg

I'm delighted to hear of folks getting their first - and second - jabs - good for you!  Sorry some of the people are less than pleasant about getting theirs.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

We used to keep birdfeeder for the small birds.  🐦Unfortunately, we had to quit feeding them because of the doves.  The little birds would drop as much seed on the ground as they atre.  The doves would then clean up the dropped seed which was not the problem.  It was what happened afterwards when they would sit on the framework of the gazebo.  Let's just say the rug under the gazebo became a toxic waste site.  😁

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the Rolling Stone Magazine article on Joni Mitchell; DH is the second of the 3 men named as having taught Joni how to play the guitar.  They also used DH's line that after a couple of weeks she was better than all three of them ever could be.  Cool! 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/joni-mitchell-inside-early-years-box-set-1081429/

I'm delighted to hear of folks getting their first - and second - jabs - good for you!  Sorry some of the people are less than pleasant about getting theirs.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry

Thank you for the link to the RS article! How very cool!

And I have never heard of tomato soup cake before. Wow!

• Like 6

I can't get Feed the Birds and The Day the music died  from playing in my head.  Great songs both of them.  Sorry for those that have to put up with unhappy people while helping them get their vaccines.  I am so grateful for all who have had their first and second dose.  And hoping that more vaccines become available soon so there will be more celebrations. 

Stay safe everyone.  Wear those masks.  

Thank you for such a positive place to come and check in daily. 

😃

• Like 15

We were requested not to put out bird feeders in our area.  Apparently there is a salmonella outbreak that is spread when the birds congregate too closely together.  And I am another who thinks today's quote is more cute than accurate.  It is a great day today here in the Northwest; first sunshine in a couple of weeks.

• Like 12

Can I attach a video file to a post.  A couple weeks ago I posted a picture of a slew (collective noun for more than one?) of hummingbirds chowing down on our backyard feeder.  A couple days ago I was sitting at the table in the family room, working one of the newspaper puzzles and listening to the DVR recording of the Daytona 24 (awesome race, by the way), when I noticed a tremendous amount of buzzing sounds behind me.  Sure enough there were even more hummingbirds that I'd seen in that previously posted snap.  I edited the pic to point out the birds on approach around the feeder, and the more patient ones perched in the tree in the background.

IMG_67jjj03.jpg.6fb4b6672adbd22e4d3c5fddb1ae8da9.jpg

Mrs. XBGuy outdid me by recording a little 8 second video with her iPad,.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Made it to my appointment this am. They finally cleared my driveway. We live in a deal end and they push alll the snow there. Then they piled up about 6 feet next to my garage making it difficult to get out, but once out of our Development, the roads were cleared down to the bottom and not at all dangerous.  When I was a kid like every other kid, I loved snow. Now, I hate it.

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Late today and will catch up later but the good news for me is that the weather held off .... partly cloudy and warm instead of snow .... so I have gotten my 1st covid shot!!!! Now off to HS to sign check, pat dogs.

Susan

Absolutely wonderful!

Roy

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Can I attach a video file to a post.  A couple weeks ago I posted a picture of a slew (collective noun for more than one?) of hummingbirds chowing down on our backyard feeder.  A couple days ago I was sitting at the table in the family room, working one of the newspaper puzzles and listening to the DVR recording of the Daytona 24 (awesome race, by the way), when I noticed a tremendous amount of buzzing sounds behind me.  Sure enough there were even more hummingbirds that I'd seen in that previously posted snap.  I edited the pic to point out the birds on approach around the feeder, and the more patient ones perched in the tree in the background.

FeedFrenzy.mov 927.45 kB · 2 downloads

Wow!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Fabulous!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks for the link Gerry, very much 😄 

My driveway is clean (until tomorrow if the freezing rain comes tonight 😢) so I’m catching up and looking forward to reading.

• Like 6

We keep looking at different cruises to book besides the two we already have made a deposit on but progress with Canadian vaccinations has really slowed down so we are getting a little despondent ! 

If you people down South have some left over send some up North will you , you are getting better and better at it must be the new regime ............. but than I think with Buddy Holly in mind  " That'll Be the Day " ......

My buds and I were great Buddy Holly fans and today that song and that whole LP keeps coming into my head ! ........ and it is " Not Fade Away " 

"Oh Boy ! " ,  thank you for " Listen to Me " , my wife has to " Everyday " 

Tony 😀😀

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Wow!

• Like 3

While the Prinsendam and Crystal Symphony both crossed the Drake Passage on February 2 of their respective years, the paths diverged widely once in Antarctic waters.  On February 3 Symphony visited Elephant Island and Hope Bay and I'll covers those destinations when the Prinsendam gets there.  The Prinsendam spent the day in Paradise Harbor.  There was abundant wildlife including chinstrap penguins on an iceburg early in the day.

chinstrap.jpg

We accounted whales about 9 with both blows and flukes in evidence:

blow03.jpg

fluke03.jpg

Our main destination was Paradise Harbor.   There's an Argentine Base there that I had actually been able to visit from the Professor Multinovski in 1997.  While I made many landings on that trip it was the only one on the actual Antarctic continent:

paradise.jpg

There were a couple of glaciers in Paradise Harbor, about as far (about 95 miles north of the Arctic Circle):

paradiseglacier.jpg

At one time we passed VERY CAREFULLY a little closer than was comfortable to a small iceberg:

bergswipe.jpg

A little later we passed a Chilean base and the home of a colony of Gentoo penguins.  From the upper decks I found that part of the authentic penguin experience was olfactory:

chilebase.jpg

A sad side note to the day is when returning from a break there was a letter from the future cruise consultant confirming a booking for a segment of the 2021 World Cruise.  Oh, well.

Roy

• Like 21

February 3rd,  last year,  Westerdam was at sea. For once we heard some encouraging news that we might be able to dock in Kaohsiung, Taiwan tomorrow!  We are originally scheduled to be there on the 5th, so we’ll see what happens.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

@ger_77 Made a batch of this as 2 - 4” cakes and 6 cupcakes. The house smells wonderful. I just pulled the cupcakes out of the oven and DH came charging down the stairs. ( He works at home now.) 

So he’s eyeing the cupcakes and says (with puppy dog eyes) “I have to wait for them to cool, right?” I told him they were hot and be careful.   So there are now 4 left. He couldn’t believe it when I told him what was in it.  I suspect I’ll be walking or riding to the store to pick up more soup for another batch. These won’t last around here. I’m planning to frost with a cream cheese frosting.

Generally canned tomato soup is something I really dislike, so your description made me want to try it and challenge my palate.

Thank you for sharing. 😀

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1