Canada bans all cruises until Feb 2022.

I have a NE/Canada on Princess ship and they sent letters out to my travel agent saying both Alaska and NE/Canada are cancelled.  So I will have to look to book something next year.  Maybe I will jump to Royal out of Boston

"Canada’s announcement to ban all cruise sailings carrying 100 people or more traveling through Canadian waters, without so much as a courtesy conversation with the Alaska Delegation, is not only unexpected—it is unacceptable—and was certainly not a decision made with any consideration for Alaskans or our economy.

"We expect more from our Canadian allies."

What about Keystone XL Pipeline? 

Any consideration for Canadian or Alberta economy?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For the record... I didn't conflate Canadian health care and Canada's disastrous vaccine rollout.  I commented on Canadian vaccine rollout and someone commented to me about Canadian healthcare and I responded to that post.  That doesn't change my thoughts about Canadian healthcare but I don't blame the vaccine rollout on that.  Canada had an opportunity to set themselves up for a big success when I came to the vaccine.  The Govt. chose to back Sinovac from the Chinese govt.  That proved to be a disastrous decision.  Then they did nothing.  The article I attached below best describes my views on the subject... 

And with that, I once again abandon virus/vaccine threads.  

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-britains-vaccine-success-the-path-canada-should-have-followed

Edited by Tree_skier

4 hours ago, Thredolet said:

"Canada’s announcement to ban all cruise sailings carrying 100 people or more traveling through Canadian waters, without so much as a courtesy conversation with the Alaska Delegation, is not only unexpected—it is unacceptable—and was certainly not a decision made with any consideration for Alaskans or our economy.

See this just annoys me.  As a country Canada had every right to not allow cruise ships, especially when we have strict rules around international travel right now.  We don’t want tourists visiting here right now.  

These people getting pissed at Canada because  cruises can’t go to Alaska? Seriously? It’s American laws that are preventing them.  If you are an American who is angry about no Alaska cruises, get angry at the US laws.  Not Canada.  

And let’s not forget the US isn’t allowing ANY of the vaccine manufactured there to be shipped to Canada.  So don’t think many people in this county have much sympathy right now.  

Edited by Canadianmama3
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

See this just annoys me.  As a country Canada had every right to not allow cruise ships, especially when we have strict rules around international travel right now.  We don’t want tourists visiting here right now.  

These people getting pissed at Canada because  cruises can’t go to Alaska? Seriously? It’s American laws that are preventing them.  If you are an American who is angry about no Alaska cruises, get angry at the US laws.  Not Canada.  

And let’s not forget the US isn’t allowing ANY of the vaccine manufactured there to be shipped to Canada.  So don’t think many people in this county have much sympathy right now.  

Im not familiar with Canadian manufacturing so I am baffled as to 1.  why would our country send our vaccines to yours when we are trying to get our citizens taken care of first?  If the situation was reversed, would you be as generous?  2.  Why does Canada not have a vaccine now?  Is there no pharmaceutical companies there or scientists available for the past 9 months working on it?  3.  We are disappointed but not surprised about Alaska and New England cruise seasons of course but most of us will just vacation elsewhere and give our tourism dollars there.  My husband and I are flying to Alaska as we have never been there and exploring on our own.  I personally could care less if we dont go to Canada.  I was more interested in solely Alaska.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Im not familiar with Canadian manufacturing so I am baffled as to 1.  why would our country send our vaccines to yours when we are trying to get our citizens taken care of first?  If the situation was reversed, would you be as generous?  2.  Why does Canada not have a vaccine now?  Is there no pharmaceutical companies there or scientists available for the past 9 months working on it?  3.  We are disappointed but not surprised about Alaska and New England cruise seasons of course but most of us will just vacation elsewhere and give our tourism dollars there.  My husband and I are flying to Alaska as we have never been there and exploring on our own.  I personally could care less if we dont go to Canada.  I was more interested in solely Alaska.  

We don’t have manufacturing capability here in Canada.  We used to be able to manufacture vaccines.  But the government stopped supporting it many many years ago, so several past governments are to blame for this.   They are currently building a facility but it won’t be ready until the fall.  The vaccines we are currently getting is being shipped from Europe, not the US.  

I’m not expressing an opinion as to if the US should or should not allow vaccines to be exported.  We went through this with PPE at the beginning of the pandemic (BTW the special pulp used in those N95 masks made by 3M in the US comes from Canada).  But unrestricted travel to different countries won’t happen until more countries have their populations significantly vaccinated.  So making it harder for other countries to get vaccinated means it will be even longer before Americans are allowed to travel to other places with out things like quarantines.  So things like the ban on cruise ships happen.  And let’s just say there isn’t much sympathy from most Canadians. Again not saying the US should export vaccines (I get why people want to keep it there).  I’m just saying it doesn’t make Canadians want to open up to the US right now. 

My main point was, there seems to be a lot of anger directed at Canada.  When the real reason Americans can’t cruise to Alaska is American laws.  Like you said you just wanted to see Alaska.  It’s not Canada hurting Alaskan business 

Edited by Canadianmama3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

People here think once they get a vaccine in their arm, they're good to go. It's hard to communicate the idea that this is something we have to manage globally (paradoxical since cruising is inherently an international endeavor in this country). We do ourselves no favors by not helping out our neighbors.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lizzius said:

People here think once they get a vaccine in their arm, they're good to go. It's hard to communicate the idea that this is something we have to manage globally (paradoxical since cruising is inherently an international endeavor in this country). We do ourselves no favors by not helping out our neighbors.

Agreed.  It’s something I see a lot of people not even think about when wanting cruises to start.  Other countries have to actually want to allow international tourists. Something they may not be open to if it puts their residents at risk. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

We don’t have manufacturing capability here in Canada.  We used to be able to manufacture vaccines.  But the government stopped supporting it many many years ago, so several past governments are to blame for this.   They are currently building a facility but it won’t be ready until the fall.  The vaccines we are currently getting is being shipped from Europe, not the US.  

I’m not expressing an opinion as to if the US should or should not allow vaccines to be exported.  We went through this with PPE at the beginning of the pandemic (BTW the special pulp used in those N95 masks made by 3M in the US comes from Canada).  But unrestricted travel to different countries won’t happen until more countries have their populations significantly vaccinated.  So making it harder for other countries to get vaccinated means it will be even longer before Americans are allowed to travel to other places with out things like quarantines.  So things like the ban on cruise ships happen.  And let’s just say there isn’t much sympathy from most Canadians. Again not saying the US should export vaccines (I get why people want to keep it there).  I’m just saying it doesn’t make Canadians want to open up to the US right now. 

My main point was, there seems to be a lot of anger directed at Canada.  When the real reason Americans can’t cruise to Alaska is American laws.  Like you said you just wanted to see Alaska.  It’s not Canada hurting Alaskan business 

got it.  No anger from me.  Most of us are just annoyed at having to reschedule/refund.  But not angry.  

Sorry about the vaccine situation; however most of us who are struggling to get appointments for elderly relatives (I have an April one for a double transplant 86 yr old) will never agree to help the global economy first rather than our vulnerable population.  I live in one of the states that shipped covid patients to nursing homes and am still sickened by the stories.  I cant imagine trying to explain to the family members why we have to support another country first.  

Edited by jean87510

22 hours ago, Thredolet said:

Lemme help with rewriting that headline:

"Alaska Delegation upset Canada prevents thousands of pleasure seekers access to what will likely be a largely un-vaccinated population."

Unexpected? Perhaps. 
Unacceptable? Surely they jest.

It's politics. They had to say something to look good, but to quote some NFL talking heads "C'mon Man!"

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lizzius said:

Actually there have been a few new cases where a person has received both vaccines and then a short time later (the specific case on the news here in SoCal) went to get a Covid test for some unrelated procedure they were going to get and they tested positive...The specific info was that there have been a handfull of people this has happened to. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 11:12 AM, Canadianmama3 said:

On 2/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, Canadianmama3 said:

So wait.  Your government eliminated all of your country's vaccine manufacturing capabilities, but you blame the US for not sending vaccines your way?  That's one of the most misdirected blames I've ever heard.....even in a time when no one seems to be able to admit fault anymore.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

So wait.  Your government eliminated all of your country's vaccine manufacturing capabilities, but you blame the US for not sending vaccines your way?  That's one of the most misdirected blames I've ever heard.....even in a time when no one seems to be able to admit fault anymore.  

Technically we have production capabilities, however my understanding is those facilities are owned by private corporations (Sanofi and Glaxo... I believe)
They've been focused down to specific, profitable production and are unable to switch to a Covid vaccine efficiently (read also profitably, they are private owned after all.)

To talk about the US sending anything our way is to enter a political arena of "how much is USA producing daily vs. shots in arms" with a side helping of "if the USA isn't efficiently administering it then send it elsewhere where it goes in arms same day". A futile and ridiculous discussion. In fact the headlines produced indicating this was even a thought in someone's brain was likely politically motivated.

It's similar to an administration that said "we'll block PPE shipments to Canada" and the resulting "well good luck getting the materials to make it from Canada" / "we'll ban thousands of nurses that cross over to Michigan daily from going into work" ridiculousness.

Political pandering at its finest. The last guy made headlines "blocking PPE" and this guy makes headlines "blocking vaccine's" from crossing the border. What you choose to buy from those sales is up to the consumer. 

Edited by NateUpNorth

4 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Political pandering at its finest. The last guy made headlines "blocking PPE" and this guy makes headlines "blocking vaccine's" from crossing the border. What you choose to buy from those sales is up to the consumer. 

Are you talking about our "last guy" and "this guy"?  What about yours?

So yet again, all fingers are pointing in one direction, which is yet another misdirection.  Why is it that so many folks north of the border (at least, those on this board) can't just admit that this vaccine shortage issue is the making of their own government?  Y'all want to focus so much on what the US is doing that you're turning a blind eye to your own shortcomings.  That's simply hypocritical. 

If you're upset that Canada isn't getting adequately vaccinated, you should blame no one other that your own leaders.  Here in the US, if we couldn't vaccinate due to a past administration's decision to not build new facilities, we'd be all over them, casting stones.  We wouldn't be blaming another country who had the proper foresight to stay ready.   

Then again, who knows.  Many in this country are starting to adopt the concept of blaming others as well.  🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Careful... We only manufacture a tiny portion of what we actually need here in the US, and the shortages we experienced in the early stages of this should highlight that no one's supply chain for all of the goods it needs can be confined within its borders.

• Like 1

As a Canadian, I have no idea why others in this country think that we should be getting our vaccines from the US or that somehow the US 'owes' us vaccines. Huh? We have contracts with EU countries for our vaccines so what does that have to do with the US? The fact that we currently don't have anything in place to manufacture our own vaccines goes back DECADES. This is nothing new. 

As for the PVSA, well that's an American law, nothing to do with Canada. So you can whine to the US gov't about that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bcwife76 said:

As a Canadian, I have no idea why others in this country think that we should be getting our vaccines from the US or that somehow the US 'owes' us vaccines. Huh? We have contracts with EU countries for our vaccines so what does that have to do with the US? The fact that we currently don't have anything in place to manufacture our own vaccines goes back DECADES. This is nothing new. 

As for the PVSA, well that's an American law, nothing to do with Canada. So you can whine to the US gov't about that. 

I don't think of it as "owing" anything, but I do think it is in everyone's best interests globally to get vaccine into the most vulnerable as quickly as possible, no matter where they live. 1.) It minimizes the loss of life and medical disruption everywhere which means that more of us can begin to live as normal and 2.) you reduce the number of immune-compromised incubators who are currently acting as great hosts for these scarily convergent mutations (most are thought to come from people who have been unable to clear the virus thus allowing it spawn countless generations within the same host). It's just not a problem that can be solved nationally in a deeply connected world.

6 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I agree.  I deleted my post to not further take this train off the rails.  Thanks for the gut check.  

It’s all good.  These have been trying times to say the least. I look forward to the day we can all have a drink at sail away, and leave the pandemic behind us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Actually if you read my entire post I specifically say that I’m NOT saying the US should send us vaccines (and the US wouldn’t really be “sending” vaccines, just allowing the manufactures to ship them from their US locations instead of Europe). I was saying that because of the games with limiting exports of things like PPE and now vaccines, the majority of Canadians have little sympathy for things like Alaska cruises being cancelled. 

Next time try reading everything. 🙄

• Like 2

I pine for the days when these boards are full of complaints about chair hogs, questions about the best drink package pricing, worries about how much to tip, and moaning about a change in itinerary due to weather.   😁

Let's get people vaccinated before we freak out about who will or won't be sailing.   One thing at a time 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1