The Daily for Saturday Feb 6, 2021

richwmn

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@cat shepard I'd read you shouldn't take anti-inflammatory meds like Advil or ibuprophen after your vaccine as it might dampen antibody formation, but that acetaminophen was ok (although the CDC site says talk to your doctor first). Also that you shouldn't take anything prophylactically to prevent symptoms, just if needed. And to try stuff like cool compresses for the sore arm or headache, moving the arm more, drink fluids, rest, etc.

I have read and heard the same thing. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@cat shepard I'd read you shouldn't take anti-inflammatory meds like Advil or ibuprophen after your vaccine as it might dampen antibody formation, but that acetaminophen was ok (although the CDC site says talk to your doctor first). Also that you shouldn't take anything prophylactically to prevent symptoms, just if needed. And to try stuff like cool compresses for the sore arm or headache, moving the arm more, drink fluids, rest, etc.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and mask up! I have 2 medical appointments next week and will definitely double mask. Moderna first shot on Tuesday!

I too have heard & read to stick with Tylenol/acetaminophen, and avoid Advil/Aleve & Ibuprofin.

But only take Tylenol/acetaminophen AFTER the injections, if needed. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 4

I have heard you should not take anything for pain/discomfort before the "jab"... and only afterwards if you really, really need it. Will ask when I go for my second which is the 24th...... hopefully. We are moving along slowly. The 65 and up crowd are eligible in a few days, but I know older folks who still have not been able to get it. Confusion reigns at the state level.... our locals seem better able to handle it. Next week I have eye doctor and dermatologist scheduled (the latter was postponed from last week). Looks like our weather should be good. My pups are still sleeping off what must have been a very intense spa day. So house is unusually quiet.

You can tell it is really quiet around here when any or all of the above is news.

Take care.

Susan

• Like 13

Good Afternoon from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

I also add a big dose of gratitude for this thread! It is always so positive and upbeat. It makes me happy. I hope that we can meet someday on a cruise!

I am late today because my refrigerator finally came! I ordered it the day after Thanksgiving but it was not available until today!  No more coolers on my kitchen floor and I can finally have ice cream!

• Like 17

Since we are on the subject of appliances today.....I posted several months ago that the oven in my range had died in late Sept and I was waiting for a replacement.  Good news is, it fiinally came.  Bad news is, it was damaged on the console where the knobs are.  So I am still waiting and they say sometime in March.  (Wanna bet?) The locally owned appliance store brought me a "loaner" range so now I can bake something.  Sadly, though, being without an oven for so long didn't do anything to reduce my waistline. 

I am jealous when reading all of the vaccination stories here.  Iowa is 47th out of 50 states for vaccine allocation. As of Feb 1st the over 65's are supposed to be eligible.  And the governor is lifting the mask mandate and size limits on gatherings at midnight tonight. 

At least I have this board to read everyday and lift my spirits.  Hope to meet many of you on a cruise!

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Imagine trying to develop a definition of  “absolutely necessary” that would fit the hundreds of millions who will receive the vaccine.

I know, right?!?  I heard "if it interferes with your sleep".  If we can take Tylenol that's good news for me, as that's all I ever take (not Advil etc.)  But I will try to learn more before my 2nd shot in 12 days.  I know the night of my first shot I woke up with a bad headache in the night and wanted to take something but didn't...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garlictown said:

Good Morning Saturday and 👍thank you for the Daily, too!

🤓I remember having the best ice-cream at Kilwins in Florida and in various locations in Michigan...🍦 so good !  🙏Prayers to all in need. 

unnamed.jpg

Best ice cream I had in Florida was at Brendys in Delray.

• Like 6

My absolutely favourite breakfast when I was a teenager (a boarder at a Catholic school in Vancouver, a city I didn't know) was when on some Saturdays, we would take the bus into town and there was a shop (near that big clock?) where we used to have hot chocolate, and chocolate cake with a big scoop of chocolate ice cream on top.  This thread has made me remember that fun!

We did a few errands this morning and stopped at the garden centre for some seed-starting supplies.  DD sent me this:

-7517061314104665387.thumb.jpg.cea441dad527dab26d965b93e37e8c6e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We did a few errands this morning and stopped at the garden centre for some seed-starting supplies.  DD sent me this:

-7517061314104665387.thumb.jpg.cea441dad527dab26d965b93e37e8c6e.jpg

LOL on this Vict0riann.  I found myself saying the same thing when I thought “what if all the seeds take”.  But alas, we all know that not every seed takes.

Time will tell.  My first two sets are done.

More will be done in the next week and week after.  And more if the groundhog was right.  We’ll see.

• Like 9

Good afternoon. As always, our compliments to all who make this thread all that it is every day.

We have pretty much traded ice cream for frozen yogurt. We prefer the "healthier" calories. 🙄

We've had a touch of snow here this morning with temps in the low 30's, and now we're going into the deep freeze. They've predicted the longest spell of sub freezing highs and possibility for lows below zero in decades. How many calories does shivering burn?

We were considerably warmer a year ago when we watched the sun rise over Half Moon Cay.

2.thumb.JPG.8a12bbdb4ab96b707adc103a4f7e7251.JPG

Please stay safe and healthy, and have a great afternoon!

Lori & George

• Like 17

Good afternoon! My compliments to everyone on this thread!

It's a cold day here in southwestern Ontario but the sun is shining. Thank you to @TiogaCruiser who taught me something new today. My son came in with the fixings last night, and cooked up some pasta. My daughter had planned to make soup yesterday, and I was hoping to have her cook tonight, but she's been holed up in her room, so I think it will be gingered beef with rice. But first....a nap. Have a wonderful day. Thanks again to everyone who posts and reads this thread.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I love ice cream but not for breakfast. The meal suggestion sounds really good, I’m going to tuck it away for a future meal. I haven’t decided yet on tonight’s meal. 

One year ago today I was on my way to San Diego for a women’s retreat. Little did I know that would be my last trip in a really long time. It was a wonderful weekend and I stayed at the beautiful Hotel del Coronado on Coronado. I met 17 wonderful ladies and have stayed in contact with most of them through Zoom and our book club. 

BCE38EB5-FF2B-435B-B902-056DD9BABD86.thumb.jpeg.4d1f521f04208b35e9736b964727a75b.jpeg

F14CD06D-02C6-4F96-A270-A6C6CD7B872B.thumb.jpeg.8853c588b5585dfbdf98850a9ed53335.jpeg

231FFF53-1160-4AB5-B94D-0C2D15E9BDBA.thumb.jpeg.62e51d238052a63ca7784f2d74795fa8.jpeg

And the beautiful beach right out the back of the hotel:

443A10C1-DAEC-4202-A032-11C7EA1BAA66.thumb.jpeg.df1fd708e42444ea1588dc92e33eae56.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

👍❤️ Coronado and lived there for awhile .....I attended grade school at the local elementary school.✏️ 👀

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I too have heard & read to stick with Tylenol/acetaminophen, and avoid Advil/Aleve & Ibuprofin.

But only take Tylenol/acetaminophen AFTER the injections, if needed. 

I agree.  Will try to get by without anything if I can, but glad to hear Tylenol would be better as this article states:  https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/it-safe-take-tylenol-or-ibuprofen-or-after-covid-vaccine-n1256896

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

If we can take Tylenol that's good news for me, as that's all I ever take (not Advil etc.)  But I will try to learn more before my 2nd shot in 12 days.  I know the night of my first shot I woke up with a bad headache in the night and wanted to take something but didn't...

Tylenol is fine after your vaccination.  Anti-inflammatories should be avoided (Advil, etc.)..  We even had a case of Tylenol sample packs that we gave out at a recent clinic.

Today was wild with 400 doses given and not one dose left over.  It was all first doses of Moderna.  Monday we have a second dose clinic for Pfizer.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 65 Gator said:

Tylenol is fine after your vaccination.  Anti-inflammatories should be avoided (Advil, etc.)..  We even had a case of Tylenol sample packs that we gave out at a recent clinic.

Today was wild with 400 doses given and not one dose left over.  It was all first doses of Moderna.  Monday we have a second dose clinic for Pfizer.

You are truly life savers ❤️ 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thank you Leon!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

I will try to go cold turkey after my second shot since I have a possible allergy to Tylenol.

Roy

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I will try to go cold turkey after my second shot since I have a possible allergy to Tylenol.

Roy

I can take Tylenol... but it usually does nothing for me. I will try to avoid meds but if I really need something, guess Tylenol it will be. Interesting you have a possible allergy to Tylenol.... I have one to Ibuprofen... I break out in the neatest rash. My doctor was impressed.

Susan

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On  February 6 (2019) MS Prinsendam visited King George and Elephant Islands.  King George is a pretty developed island with a number of bases.   We mad a tour of Admiralty bay where a number of research stations were in evidence.  The first I was able to recognize was a Polish station and is pretty well developed and used all year:

kgipoland.jpg

Next was a Brazilian station that had suffered a devastating 2012 fire and rebuilding has been very slow:

kgibrazil.jpg

Before leaving King George Island we passed a summer only Peruvian station:

kgiperu.jpg

Our second stop was Elephant Island where the Shackleton Party originally landed.  Their first landing was at Cape Valentine:

valentine.jpg

Unfortunately, the weather was not very cooperative but we had better luck from the Crystal Symphony in 2016:

shackleton.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

My Westerdam saga continues at sea, a year ago.  They’re still selling shore excursion tickets, for Japan, though some dates have been changed.  We are well occupied with activities and a big map shows a line as to where we are, and where we’ve been. Hoping Japan happens as we’re scheduled, still to fly back from Tokyo.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Can't do the ice cream for breakfast thing.  I had to join Ice Cream Anonymous, and I've been clean and sober for five years now!😉

I found that very funny. I should probably find the nearest chapter and join too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3