The Daily for Tuesday Feb 9, 2021

richwmn

today is National Cut The Cord Day, Toothache Day, and Extraterrestrial Culture Day

Always borrow money from a pessimist; he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Meal suggestion for today - Orange-Glazed Pork with Sweet Potatoes

Drink of the Day - Rum Old Fashioned

Wine of the day - Anselmo Mendes 2019 Contacto Alvarinho (Vinho Verde) Portugal vintage

at Sea English Channel
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 3/2
Zaandam destination Portland eta 2/9

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination San Ignacio Anchorage
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam destination La Paz MX eta 2/11

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Oosterdam
Volendam

0209USA.thumb.png.c63b4c6ec7f21d186eb4c0d7fb90e9a4.png

0209Tor.thumb.png.abc00e3bf75ff0a33e1e4fe3500cc6b0.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I think this time I'll pass on all 3 days, although I think it's also National Pizza Day.  I love both the quote and the meal.  My alternative meal suggestion is Pineapple and Orange Salad with Toasted Coconut, Grilled Lamb Chops 'Toroa', Cherry Cake.  February 9 was our landing in South Georgia and we had a special "Explorer's Dinner with an interesting menu:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/dinner0209.jpg

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/menu0209.pdf

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

StLouisCruiser’s Mother in law

My brother

Seasick Sailor in Quarantine and friend with Covid pneumonia

RIP Mary Wilson

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab for Dfish

Sarah Thomas

stitches out and clear pathology for cat shepard

summer slope compled 2nd jab despite brief reaction from DH

mamaofami’s grandson safely back home and her encouraging CAT scan
 and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think it's also National Pizza Day

You are correct, my list also shows National Pizza Day. However, Pizza is also celebrated on 3/14 which is when all the National Chains celebrate Pie Day so I deferred to that celebration

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

I hope I don't have a toothache today. 🤞 Not sure what to make of extraterrestrial culture day or cut the cord day.  I'll pass on pizza today, we had it a couple of weeks ago.

The quote is good advice.😉

The meal suggestions sound good.  @rafinmd Thanks for sharing the menu - very interesting.

The drink of the day sounds good to me.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Lockdown continues for us in our area, but it's too cold and snowy to go out anyway.

Praying for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to our wonderful place to come each day.  I'll pass on the combo of days.  Sad quote but I would think so true in some cases.  The meal sounds wonderful, will see what Debbie posts.Major prayers and virtual hugs to our care list.  Please have a quick recovery @Seasick Sailor.  Toasts to our other list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Rum Old Fashioned:

Ingredients

Rum Old Fashioned
  • 2 ounces Zacapa 23 Rum
  • 1 barspoon Demorara Syrup, recipe follows
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
  • 2 dashes Orange Bitters
Demerara Syrup
  • 2 cups Demerara Sugar
  • 1 cup water
Directions

For Demerara Syrup:

1. Mix two cups Demerara (natural brown) sugar with one cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cool before using. As an alternative, place one or two brown sugar cubes in your rocks glass and allow to dissolve in the drink.

For Rum Old Fashioned:

1. Combine rum, syrup, and bitters in a mixing glass with large ice. Stir vigorously and strain into a double rocks glass over one large ice cube. Garnish with orange twist.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 6.44.24 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

In case anyone else hadn’t heard of National Cut the Cord Day and to save you from googling - It’s the day to cut out your standard tv subscription and switch to live streaming.  

That quote is a hoot.  I didn’t know pessimists lent money 😉 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion as we need some kind of comfort food tonight.  It’s c-c-c-c-old here today.  Not as cold as Gerry (ger_77) gets out West but it’s -21 Celsius (- 4/5 F) and feels even colder than that.  Brrr And there is talk of more storm on the way 😔 

3DD723AD-DA56-43C3-9E9F-17387F0D25C9.jpeg.48d231fb26fec17f7a1d842240cfa4de.jpeg

The drink of the day sounds good.  Can it be served warm? 😉 

Looking forward to the description of the vinho verde.  Portugal has some nice ones

I think I overdid yesterday after the shovelling and trying to get a lot of things accomplished 😉 

1CED9192-812D-474B-9C17-F25C7F539B76.jpeg.eddb3d01a6681341308a04bc48a90c5c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday, everyone.  Stay safe and warm and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

Good  morning  to all. Kazu, as  usual you  have  made  me laugh,thanks!  I  mentioned  "cutting  the  cord" to  DH  and  he  was just  beside  himself. Oh  well.

Our  area  continues  to  be  snowy,icy  and  interesting  for  dog  walking. I cannot  complain  as  it  certainly  is  not as  cold  as  Canada.

Thanks  to  all  for  the  cheerful  optimism  as  I  have  had  a  little  difficulty  finding  mine lately. Some  extended  family  members  in  the  Bronx  went  to  Yankee  Stadium  for  their jabs. They  were  directed  to  one  of  the  luxury  boxes!  We  are    grateful  for  the  progress  in  getting  the  vaccine to  all. My  Massachusetts  family  members(not  in  healthcare) are still trying  to get  appointments.

• Like 18

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I was always fascinated with extraterrestrials, so I will choose to celebrate their culture day. The other two days do not sound like something I would want to celebrate. Thank you @kazufor explaining what cut the cord signifies. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists & the shout out. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Interesting quote. The meal sounds delicious. I might try a sip of the drink. It sounds a bit sweet, but I would try it. I head to the gym for one of my classes for the first time in almost two weeks, so I am interested in seeing whether my foot bothers me at all. It will be good to be back. Halibut for supper tonight. I might roast some asparagus. Not sure. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This white wine from Portugal has excellent ratings and a reasonable  price. I found several online distributors and prices starting at 19.99. You might find it for less, if you are visiting Portugal. It sounds delicious, and it is going on my list!
Wine Enthusiast 

From the producer's home region of Monção and Melgaço, this wine is made, unusually for Vinho Verde, using skin contact. That gives it an extra dimension of richness and fullness. The wine's apple flavors have concentration and, along with the texture, suggest potential for aging. Drink ideally from 2021.  

Rating 91 Mark Squires - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

"The 2019 Alvarinho Contacto comes in at 12.5% alcohol, 6.5 grams of total acidity and 1.5 grams of residual sugar. This wine is made with a short skin maceration (hence the name Contacto) for 12 hours at 12 degrees Celsius. This is often one of the best value points in Vinho Verde. This year, it has a somewhat nervier and very precise style, not terribly fruity or rich. In fact, it has more power to the point where I wondered if this really needed to be put away for six months to allow it to develop, and add a little extra complexity. This is certainly going to age well, perhaps notably better than indicated, but let's be conservative. The price is right, making this a no-brainer purchase. It has the potential to improve with cellaring."

Product Description:

Citrus, tropical aromas, but with great complexity. Full-bodied, good structure and the dry, bitter finish of the Alvarinho variety.

• Like 22

35 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I  mentioned  "cutting  the  cord" to  DH  and  he  was just  beside  himself. Oh  well.

Thanks  to  all  for  the  cheerful  optimism  as  I  have  had  a  little  difficulty  finding  mine lately.

These 2 comments are so true for me. I'm  feeling  a little  more  optimistic  now that I  have  had both shots, but this "daily" gives me hope and a feeling  of  connection  in this   necessary  time of self isolation. I may not post  every  day  but I certainly  read every day.

Thanks  Rich, Roy and all contributors you are providing  hope that cruising  will return.

M

• Like 20

It's been an interesting couple of days.  I've been running out of gas on my walks and originally attributed it to side effects of my first jab but it hasn't gone away and I saw the Doctor yesterday.  After Seasick Sailor's story I also suggested a Covid Test (10AM today) and it didn't seem likely to him but he did agree to it, and also a couple of other tests over the next couple of days.  I also just heard that they have scheduled Roger for another surgery.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's been an interesting couple of days.  I've been running out of gas on my walks and originally attributed it to side effects of my first jab but it hasn't gone away and I saw the Doctor yesterday.  After Seasick Sailor's story I also suggested a Covid Test (10AM today) and it didn't seem likely to him but he did agree to it, and also a couple of other tests over the next couple of days.  I also just heard that they have scheduled Roger for another surgery.

Roy

Hope all is well, Roy. Keeping you & Roger in my prayers. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

We got it! DH and I were both able to get our first round of vaccine yesterday. DH had an appointment and he zipped through, was done in 20 minutes including his 15 minute observation. Because I was an add-on, I had to sit in the “maybe we will give you the shot” room until they had availability for me. It’s all dependent on cancellations and no shows. After a 45 minute wait 10 of us were given the good news. But it took a while since we weren’t pre-registered. Kudos to Christian Northeast Hospital for the totally organized distribution site. They are doing 500 doses every day (they are set up for 600, but are only getting vaccine for 500). 

Saw that Mary Wilson of the Supremes passed away. We have done Malt Shop Memories cruises a few times and she was scheduled to perform on the next one, which had been postponed from 2020 to 2021. Lots of discussion as to whether 1. Will it sail in late October and 2. What about a cruise where almost all the passengers and a lot of the performers are 70, 80, 90 years old.

Cold and lightly snow covered here, school got cancelled (really cancelled, not even on-line) and we postponed our plan to drive down to our vacation home in Branson as there was snow and freezing rain aplenty yesterday (and my shot wait put us behind schedule) and the next few days sound about the same. Plus we got word that one of DH high school friends died (of Covid) and we may stay for the wake. 

Stay warm, stay safe, stay healthy!

St Louis Sal.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to have missed the last few days, I have been busy, busy -- even working over the weekend.

My parents got their first shots yesterday -- hurrah!!!

My teeth are the bane of my existence, and all through the pandemic I have had fingers crossed for no dental emergencies to occur. I hope this day doesn't jinx me.

It's going to be a balmy 64 degrees here today. Not warm by Florida standards, I guess, but I'll take it in February.

The wine today sounds fabulous and right up my alley. Now to figure out where to lay hands on some....

• Like 16

Good morning, everyone!   

@rafinmdPrayers for your brother's second surgery and high hopes that your COVID test is negative.  I go through periods like you describe and they are temporary.   

I cut the cord several years ago and haven't looked back.  No streaming service is perfect, but I can put up with an occasional buffering problem for $90 a month less.  

Tonight's dinner sounds good, but not sure I'll make it because of the potatoes.   The jury was mixed in the comments on this one.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/orange-glazed-pork-with-sweet-potatoes/

orange glazed pork with sweet potatoes.jpg

• Like 19

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, Are you having the rapid test? Please post back and let us know when you can. Thinking of you.

It was so strange that our friend was at the VA on Saturday getting his shot, and woke up Sunday and couldn't move. And diagnosed with covid related pneumonia with no symptoms. So scary!! 

Hoping things turn around for Roger. Perhaps he will listen to doctor's orders this time..

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

So sorry, Roy, to hear your brother needs another surgery. Fingers crossed and prayers for his 

rapid recovery and for your Covid tests to be negative.

• Like 8

Good morning everyone. Interesting days today, but I’m going to take up yesterday’s plan to empty my computer and pray I don’t get a toothache.

We expect more snow today and later this week. This was definitely not the winter to stay home and not fly to Florida, but the pandemic made us do it or not do it.

Stay safe all and double mask.

Carol

• Like 12

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. We have not had pizza in a long while. Perhaps I'll have one delivered tonight since we're in the slammer for a few more days. Our doctor told us 10 days to quarantine but if we don't need to we aren't going out.

Hi sisters. Ann I hope all goes well at the gym and your foot doesn't hurt.

Denise, I saw Roy's picture on the water with rainbow and I honestly thought that's a sketch you could do justice with. Great minds..🥰

Roy and summer thanks for the extra helping of goodness your posts provided this morning. Hoping Roy all comes out ok on your tests. 

Have an awesome day!

Xx

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1