Airlines and White House Meeting today. X Alaska decision too.

Arizona Wildcat

30 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

One interesting side note our X PVP mentioned, and we don't know how factual it is, but part of the temporary PVSA waiver request being worked might include that only US citizens would be allowed on the applicable Alaska cruises. Again, don't know how true it is, but we did find it interesting.

That is interesting.   Let us know what you may find out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Will be interesting to see what outcomes come out of these meetings.

Check out the paragraph in DaveKathy's letter that says this:

Currently, we are working to determine if it may be possible to operate your sailing without a call to a foreign port.

If they are sending this correspondence broadside to the Celebrity customers then something must really be up,   I can't see them sending this out and putting a reservation on 'hold? like this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I wouldn't hold my breath.  They're talking about more lockdowns, i.e. Florida travel.  🍷

Good. I mean the UK’s response to their new aggressive strain was to lockdown. As that strain starts to spread here in the States the response in New York is to allow arena gatherings and in Iowa to roll back the mask requirement. I just can’t with my country anymore...sigh...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

Has the port of Seattle said anything about the situation?  Is Washington state under any lock downs or restrictions? 

We have a lot of restrictions, but I assume you are wondering about quarantine?  The only required quarantines we have right now are if you have traveled from the UK or South Africa.  Otherwise everything is just advisory.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Good. I mean the UK’s response to their new aggressive strain was to lockdown. As that strain starts to spread here in the States the response in New York is to allow arena gatherings and in Iowa to roll back the mask requirement. I just can’t with my country anymore...sigh...

One of the biggest anti-mask/anti-vax/anti-restriction people I follow on social media recently commented on a photo about "how nice it must be to live in Australia right now". 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

One of the biggest anti-mask/anti-vax/anti-restriction people I follow on social media recently commented on a photo about "how nice it must be to live in Australia right now". 🤦‍♂️

Guess they missed the part where people in Victoria were not allowed to leave their homes for many weeks except for doctors, caring for others and a weekly grocery trip.  Want to visit friends in Canberra - nope.

Their low COVID case count came at a price.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Guess they missed the part where people in Victoria were not allowed to leave their homes for many weeks except for doctors, caring for others and a weekly grocery trip.  Want to visit friends in Canberra - nope.

Yes that "price" saved many lives,  good job Australia and thank you!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Which was my point. Swift effective effort. The thoughts and prayers method hasn’t worked for the US. You can’t be envious of a country that took aggressive action while you yourself can’t be bothered to curtail your 30 person Super Bowl Party. The longer we play nice, the longer we live with this. Our high COVID case count has also come at a huge price. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Just received this Email from Celebrity.

Dear Guest,
We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise vacation. The Government of Canada has recently announced continued port closures for all cruise ships through February 28, 2022. In order to comply with these closures Celebrity Cruises has placed your cruise on hold. ,l

Deleted re-quoting..see orig post for full X letter

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Lots to consider!  Thinking our Jan 2022  Carib cruise may not be a good bet ???

Edited by hcat

I received a very similar email today from RCI. My Canada/NE cruise wasn't until Oct 2021. Very happy that I've been given these options so far in advance.

I'm hoping Celebrity does the same for my July 2021 British Isles before final is due May 1st. 

18 hours ago, REEtired said:

Hmmmm is right!  We have a sailing out of Vancouver in September and not a peep from X. 

If you booked with a TA notification must come from them.  You also need to have signed up for notifications from Celebrity.  A good friend found the email from X in their SPAM folder.  Lots of possibilities.

Why not reach out to the appropriate party?  TA or X.

5 hours ago, BLH613 said:

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, or if I missed it in the email I received from Celebrity about our August 2021 Alaska cruise, but does the FCC expire at some point?  

It is in the email from Celebrity.  You can rebook or L&S on a 2022 cruise.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

CDC is not recommending a Covid-19 test requirement before domestic travel:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cdc-travel-required-covid-testing/index.html

Thank goodness.  Hopefully the President will follow these recommendations.  Expecting the cruise lines will still require a negative test, although I think in that case there is a better argument supporting it, although it definitely is not a foolproof way of keeping the virus off the ships.

I keep reading also that the CDC recommends people do not travel.  Very frustrating.  I know the total facts are not 100% known yet, but from what I have read the experts are leaning towards the belief that the odds of a fully vaccinated person spreading the virus is low.  That is assuming, of course, that the person still follows the guidelines of mask wearing, social distancing, etc., and has waited the proper amount of time for the vaccine to take effect.  Most US state's Covid positivity rates are falling as well, which also lessens the risk.  I know we need to keep an eye on the variants and whether the vaccines work on them, as well as the hospitalization rate for the area to be visited.  But considering all the above, if things don't take a turn for the worse, then I just don't get the anti-travel recommendation, at least domestically, for those who are fully vaccinated.  End of rant🙂

21 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Which was my point. Swift effective effort. The thoughts and prayers method hasn’t worked for the US. You can’t be envious of a country that took aggressive action while you yourself can’t be bothered to curtail your 30 person Super Bowl Party. The longer we play nice, the longer we live with this. Our high COVID case count has also come at a huge price. 

Correct. And the longer it lingers while other countries get it under control we will start to become isolated by them to prevent us from reinfecting those nations. My fellow American members here need to be prepared for a possible situation where cruising returns to other parts of the world by Celebrity and other American lines including in Europe but Americans are not welcome aboard due to travel restrictions preventing us from reaching those countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Thank goodness.  Hopefully the President will follow these recommendations.  Expecting the cruise lines will still require a negative test, although I think in that case there is a better argument supporting it, although it definitely is not a foolproof way of keeping the virus off the ships.

I keep reading also that the CDC recommends people do not travel.  Very frustrating.  I know the total facts are not 100% known yet, but from what I have read the experts are leaning towards the belief that the odds of a fully vaccinated person spreading the virus is low.  That is assuming, of course, that the person still follows the guidelines of mask wearing, social distancing, etc., and has waited the proper amount of time for the vaccine to take effect.  Most US state's Covid positivity rates are falling as well, which also lessens the risk.  I know we need to keep an eye on the variants and whether the vaccines work on them, as well as the hospitalization rate for the area to be visited.  But considering all the above, if things don't take a turn for the worse, then I just don't get the anti-travel recommendation, at least domestically, for those who are fully vaccinated.  End of rant🙂

Health experts in most countries agree that restricting travel helps to reduce the spread of new cases, particularly with the variants. The current situation in Newfoundland is a prime example. During the entire year 2020, the province only had a total of 390 cases. Now there are 260 active cases in the province, with 244 of them reported in just the past five days. The explosive outbreak has been attributed to the more infectious UK B117 variant, introduced by someone travelling to the island.

When the majority of people are vaccinated and new cases significantly reduced, travel restrictions can be relaxed. Until then, I fully support health authorities recommending that people not travel. 

• Like 3