Will you cruise if vaccination is mandatory in order to board?

Thrak

51 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

To all those who have already taken their stance that the vaccine is effective, this is an example of how the science is never settled. Exactly why the flu vaccine debate was brought up. Now they are looking at boosters because they already can't stand up to some of the variants. 

Not only do we have new vaccines with relatively short testing and data, but now we will be boosting them. Too many variables. Too many moving parts. 

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And your solution is................?

22 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I will personally only cruise when Im vaccinated. I'm not going to force a vaccine on anyone for whatever reason for leisure purposes.

If @Joebucks doesn't want the vaccine, that's his choice, and no real reason why to s**t on him.  Nobody is forcing a vaccine on anyone for any reason.  If you don't want to be vaccinated, that's your choice, but you may need to find a different leisure activity for a while.  After this whole business calms down, I'm sure vaccinations won't be necessary for cruising.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Nobody is forcing a vaccine on anyone for any reason

Apart from the fact that those who get CV19 as a result of not being vaccinated when given the chance, and consequently require hospitalisation,  impose a burden on the health care system, meaning that other,  more deserving cases,  are not treated.

Not being vaccinated when given the opportunity,  is just selfish,  putting your own personal prejudices over and above the greater public good.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

After this whole business calms down

This "business" , by which I guess you mean millions of deaths, will only "calm down" when the majority of people are vaccinated. Hopefully more and more companies will join those that are demanding that their employees are vaccinated as a condition of employment.

• Like 2

All guests will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation and/or evidence of vaccination will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

All guests will be required to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) at least 14 days prior to boarding any Crystal ship. Verified documentation and/or evidence of vaccination will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding.

No different to the Saga policy in the UK, but Saga will also be carrying out Covid testing immediately prior to boarding. Plus only dedicated cars will be used for transfers to the port from your home,  rather than shared transfers. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

WOW! that's a great start!!  💉🤩

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Good answer. You can only protect against what you know. 

And there is ample evidence that the current vaccines still provide a certain level of protection against the new variants.  

I'm really not sure what point Joebucks was trying to make. Surely any vaccine is better than none,  as long as we realise that it will not be 100% effective -  which was always the case anyway.

At the end of the day his point, in whatever context it emerges, seems to be "no vaccine".

On 2/17/2021 at 7:02 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yeah, no.  That "fact" is not a fact.  Pi is not equal to 22/7, that is just an estimate.  22/7 is a rational number, pi is an irrational number.  

You really have no idea what the word fact means, because very little of science is actually fact, because facts are pretty difficult things to establish.  At best we just get approximations.  Like your speed of light fact.  It is an approximation, not a fact.

I suppose, if we accept these standards,  we will have to accept the fact that there are no facts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Just for the record---Hubby and I have had both Moderna shots--i had a mild reaction immediately from the first---dizzy and nausea  for 20 mins only and no reaction to second shot. Hubby no reactions to either shot.

My 99 yr old mother in UK had both Pfiser shots with no reactions or side effects. I realize we are only 3 out of millions but that is our story!

I got a sore arm from my last flu shot which we get every year. 

Conclusion---For most of us this vaccination is not much different from the yearly flu shot. If we do not fuss over getting that regularly why should we fuss about the possibility of having to do the same with the Covid vaccine?

The shots are infinitely better than getting the illness with it's lasting effects end of story.....

Thanks for this. I'm not indicting this site at all but, boy, there seems to be a lot hand wringing over this in real life and otherwise. We had no aftereffects but so what if we did. Well worth it IMO. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Plus only dedicated cars will be used for transfers to the port from your home,  rather than shared transfers. 

What does that mean please?  Our typical travel scenario might be taxi-equivalent to the airport, fly to connecting city, fly to the destination (beginning of a cruise), stay in a hotel and then taxi to the ship.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If @Joebucks doesn't want the vaccine, that's his choice, and no real reason why to s**t on him.  Nobody is forcing a vaccine on anyone for any reason.  If you don't want to be vaccinated, that's your choice, but you may need to find a different leisure activity for a while.  After this whole business calms down, I'm sure vaccinations won't be necessary for cruising.

Likely true. Probably one to three years and after that vaccinations won't be necessary. There is plenty of domestic travel that @Joebucks  will be able to do for vacations. Plenty of people never do International travel and plenty never take a cruise in their whole life. Cruises are not essential so it is no big deal if JoeBucks can't cruise. From what I have read the movement of international destinations and cruise lines toward requiring vaccination is picking up steam. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

What does that mean please?  Our typical travel scenario might be taxi-equivalent to the airport, fly to connecting city, fly to the destination (beginning of a cruise), stay in a hotel and then taxi to the ship.

Saga caters to UK cruisers and departs mainly (only?) from UK ports. From their website:

Get your cruise off to the best start
Your cruise is all about enjoying yourself. And sometimes sorting out transport from home and car parking is just a hassle, not to mention an added cost. That’s why we’re happy to arrange everything for you.

Included on every cruise free of charge, our chauffeur service means you’ll start your holiday feeling completely relaxed. When you arrive at the port in Dover or Southampton, we’ll even carry the bags, with included porterage right to your cabin.

This service is a private chauffeur for distances up to 75 miles each way, and a shared chauffeur service from 76-250 miles each way.

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/the-saga-experience/chauffeur-service.aspx

Seems what they are saying is that they'll continue the transfers but that all of them will be private rather than shared.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Seems what they are saying is that they'll continue the transfers but that all of them will be private rather than shared.

Thanks, as usual. I figured with it being the UK had something to do with it. With the US being SO big I couldn't quite wrap my mind around the post.

5 hours ago, clo said:

As part of the Saga cruise price, you get a private transfer to and from the ship at the beginning and end of the cruise,  up to a maximum of 250 miles. Saga only operate from UK ports with small (999 pax) all balcony ships,  so easy for them to offer this service.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Saga caters to UK cruisers and departs mainly (only?) from UK ports

Yes, correct, and only caters for over 50s (or if travelling as a couple, one person must be over 50)

Whilst only travelling from UK ports,  there are some pretty long cruises available. 90 day cruise around South America,  leaving from Southampton,  for example. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, capriccio said:

I am confused.  Given that the variants didn’t exist when the vaccines were being developed, how could the vaccines be expected to ‘stand up to some of the variants?’

It was a simple data point that ties the correlation with highly contagious infections like we have seen in the past, ie - flu. When people say it is "safe and effective" like that point cannot be debated, when there is already mountains of evidence that it is not as effective as the world thinks. "Doing better" is a different definition than "you must get this or people will die".

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Apart from the fact that those who get CV19 as a result of not being vaccinated when given the chance, and consequently require hospitalisation,  impose a burden on the health care system, meaning that other,  more deserving cases,  are not treated.

Not being vaccinated when given the opportunity,  is just selfish,  putting your own personal prejudices over and above the greater public good.

Fair enough point. Inversely, who is paying for all of the vaccines and booster shots? For all of the panic that the hospitals are overloaded, many people would be hard pressed to count on a second hand how many people they know who were hospitalized from it. Vaccines don't come cheap. Don't forget  boosters, annual shots, spoilage, loss, damage, etc. Many of us, in fact, nearly all of us would never need the hospital system for this disease otherwise.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

At the end of the day his point, in whatever context it emerges, seems to be "no vaccine".

Understand that there are people in this world who don't live in black and white. There is often more to a story than a popular narrative or being strictly against it. We are obviously itching to cruise. When you are told take this, people will be safe, and you can cruise again, and that it's settled, it's quite natural that many people will say that sounds good. All I've done is present information, facts, past occurrences, and even a few opinions. Ones that indicate it's not always as easy as vaccinate and it's fixed. Especially when those who are the ones at risk who still won't be protected. All to rush to put god knows how many different variants of shots, boosters, etc in our body. 

As I stated before, I am not anti-vax. Vaccines like for polo, I believe have absolutely proven their worth. However, it is a poor argument to say, we did it for polio, therefore, it will work the same way. There are so many different variables. It is also a fact that medication comes with side effects. The real question is do the benefits outweigh those and/or what do we see long-term? So far, it doesn't appear that the effects may be that serious. So far. Do you have any idea how much medicine was toted as safe, only to end in a class-action lawsuit because something else happened? Maybe, and hopefully, we never get there. The more variants, versions, and boosters we have, does not make me optimistic though.

For someone to objectively look at all of the info out there and say I don't want to rush to inject some foreign substance in my body and/or be forced to do so. For something you may have already beaten. Only to protect those who cannot beat it. Those who are so fragile, they cannot get the vaccine themselves, but can cruise and expose themselves to the the rest of the world. Is it really that bad to have concerns? I know these days it is acceptable to yell at these people, call them names, and say they are fringe conspiracy theorists if they don't believe what every media outlet forces down your throat. They are all saying it, it must be true, right? They have never deceived us before for political or financial gain, right?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

Do you have any idea how much medicine was toted as safe, only to end in a class-action lawsuit because something else happened?

You do seem to have trouble grasping the difference between medicine and vaccine!