Europe - June 2021

georgiaguy

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about cruises in June in Europe. We used FCC from a cruise that was supposed to be last summer and were hoping by June this year things would be better. Right now we are not certain if it sails if we want to be on it, but also not certain about foreign travel even being possible. I will not be surprised to see it get cancelled, but I havent seen anything yet. Like I said, just wondering and dreaming about being on a real COVID free vacation. 

7 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I hope you're wrong.  We're booked Sept 4 also and I thought Drakes had the wrong embarkation port, but there are , indeed two sailings from Europe that day.  Ours is out of Southampton.

As things stand at the moment, anyone flying into England has to quarantine for 10 days, either in a hotel if they come from a country on the ‘red’ list, or at home. 
So, this could make a big difference for cruise embarkation. If the ships even come to Southampton for the summer season, who will be able to embark- maybe only passengers who live in UK?
I quite fancy a Round Britain cruise.😱

• Like 2

19 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Fouremco: what about September 4 2021. Out of Amsterdam? 

I had intended to post a serious response after the ouija board comment, but life caught up with me and never had the chance. So, now a belated reply.

There are two major factors I'd consider: Celebrity's return to cruising and entry to the Netherlands. If you were to ask about a cruise in June, I'd be inclined to give a pretty certain "no" from the perspective of Celebrity being up and running. But September is in the grey zone for me, I think that they could be back in business then. By no means definite, but within the realm of possibility.

As I understand it, there is currently a ban that would preclude your entry to the Netherlands. I haven't been keeping tabs on the situation, as I have no related travel plans this year, but that is how I interpret the document found here: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/exemptions-to-the-entry-ban  I don't see an exemption requirement that you would meet, but as September is still a long way off, things might change. Again, a possibility that you would be allowed entry by then, but nothing definite.

As much as I'd love to give a more positive response, particularly given your intent to visit family you've not seen in 2 years, I'm sitting on the fence with this one. 🤞

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I had intended to post a serious response after the ouija board comment, but life caught up with me and never had the chance. So, now a belated reply.

There are two major factors I'd consider: Celebrity's return to cruising and entry to the Netherlands. If you were to ask about a cruise in June, I'd be inclined to give a pretty certain "no" from the perspective of Celebrity being up and running. But September is in the grey zone for me, I think that they could be back in business then. By no means definite, but within the realm of possibility.

As I understand it, there is currently a ban that would preclude your entry to the Netherlands. I haven't been keeping tabs on the situation, as I have no related travel plans this year, but that is how I interpret the document found here: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/exemptions-to-the-entry-ban  I don't see an exemption requirement that you would meet, but as September is still a long way off, things might change. Again, a possibility that you would be allowed entry by then, but nothing definite.

As much as I'd love to give a more positive response, particularly given your intent to visit family you've not seen in 2 years, I'm sitting on the fence with this one. 🤞

Your thoughts on my July 30, 2021 British Isles out of Amsterdam? My final is due May 1st. Also any thoughts if X will cancel this before my final..I have a $900 NRD and have also booked business class air with them and a sky suite...so to give this kind of money just to have them cancel after final is something I can't see doing. 

The limits on using an FCC by Sept 2022 isn't an option either for me as I'm pretty booked up with RCI for that year. 

I booked this in Dec 2019 long before there was even a question that this cruise wouldn't sail and would never have cancelled it but at this point in time at our age we're not comfortable traveling on an international trip in 2021.

Appreciate any feedback you can offer...Thank you

51 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Your thoughts on my July 30, 2021 British Isles out of Amsterdam? My final is due May 1st. Also any thoughts if X will cancel this before my final..I have a $900 NRD and have also booked business class air with them and a sky suite...so to give this kind of money just to have them cancel after final is something I can't see doing. 

The limits on using an FCC by Sept 2022 isn't an option either for me as I'm pretty booked up with RCI for that year. 

I booked this in Dec 2019 long before there was even a question that this cruise wouldn't sail and would never have cancelled it but at this point in time at our age we're not comfortable traveling on an international trip in 2021.

Appreciate any feedback you can offer...Thank you

In addition to the ban that I mentioned in the earlier post, possibly making entry to the Netherlands impossible, I'm not sure that the current UK travel restrictions would allow cruise ships to visit its ports. And being a couple of months earlier than @drakes2's cruise, there is a stringer possibility that Celebrity won't be up and running. Overall, I'm not optimistic about your chances, but everything is in a state of flux and could possibly change before July.

As for when Celebrity might cancel, for much of last year cancellations came late, after final payment. Although there have been similar late cancellations this year, Celebrity has more often made them before final payment. What goes into their decision making process I really don't know, but I'd guess that they won't cancel while they think that there's a chance of sailing. So if by May 1 they feel that there's a chance that they can have a ship up and running and headed to Europe by July, and that both the UK and the Netherlands will no longer have entry restrictions in place, they won't cancel.

A number of posters questioned my judgement last year when the L&S program was first introduced and I chose to bump a March 2021 cruise to March 2022. I was accused of being unnecessarily pessimistic. Maybe your cruise will sail, but I have my doubts. Still, you have 2 months before final payment, and you could delay making a decision until late April in the hope that the situation will have taken a more positive turn. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and the cruise does sail.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In addition to the ban that I mentioned in the earlier post, possibly making entry to the Netherlands impossible, I'm not sure that the current UK travel restrictions would allow cruise ships to visit its ports. And being a couple of months earlier than @drakes2's cruise, there is a stringer possibility that Celebrity won't be up and running. Overall, I'm not optimistic about your chances, but everything is in a state of flux and could possibly change before July.

As for when Celebrity might cancel, for much of last year cancellations came late, after final payment. Although there have been similar late cancellations this year, Celebrity has more often made them before final payment. What goes into their decision making process I really don't know, but I'd guess that they won't cancel while they think that there's a chance of sailing. So if by May 1 they feel that there's a chance that they can have a ship up and running and headed to Europe by July, and that both the UK and the Netherlands will no longer have entry restrictions in place, they won't cancel.

A number of posters questioned my judgement last year when the L&S program was first introduced and I chose to bump a March 2021 cruise to March 2022. I was accused of being unnecessarily pessimistic. Maybe your cruise will sail, but I have my doubts. Still, you have 2 months before final payment, and you could delay making a decision until late April in the hope that the situation will have taken a more positive turn. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and the cruise does sail.

I appreciate your thoughts and will wait up until the last minute to make up my mind (which I'm pretty sure I have already done to not sail). So fingers crossed X cancels this cruise.

If I do cancel will I have to pay a fee and be able to get the balance as a FCC but will that FCC expire in Sept 2022 or with the sailing date of my cruise will that time be extended?

33 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As for when Celebrity might cancel, for much of last year cancellations came late, after final payment. Although there have been similar late cancellations this year, Celebrity has more often made them before final payment.

This seems correct to me.  We had one cruise (a transatlantic, 18 April 2021) cancelled a few days before final payment would have been due.  We currently have another cruise (British Isles, 5 May 2021) which still hasn't been cancelled as of now, although it must be a 99% chance that it will be cancelled, and in this case the final payment date was 4 Feb 2021.  I would think another round of cancellations is highly likely, probably next week.

Tom & Judy

43 minutes ago, TFree said:

This seems correct to me.  We had one cruise (a transatlantic, 18 April 2021) cancelled a few days before final payment would have been due.  We currently have another cruise (British Isles, 5 May 2021) which still hasn't been cancelled as of now, although it must be a 99% chance that it will be cancelled, and in this case the final payment date was 4 Feb 2021.  I would think another round of cancellations is highly likely, probably next week.

Tom & Judy

The UK's Road map was released on Monday and said no international travel until mid May earliest, so unfortunately can't see how that cruise can possibly go ahead. Bars and restaurants aren't opening here until 17th May earliest!

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I appreciate your thoughts and will wait up until the last minute to make up my mind (which I'm pretty sure I have already done to not sail). So fingers crossed X cancels this cruise.

If I do cancel will I have to pay a fee and be able to get the balance as a FCC but will that FCC expire in Sept 2022 or with the sailing date of my cruise will that time be extended?

If you cancel prior to final payment, no fee to pay and you will get your NRD back in the form of an FCC. 

If you cancel after final payment, everything will be refunded in the form of an FCC. In either case, there is no indication as yet that the "use by" date of FCCs will be further extended beyond September 30, 2022.

• Like 1